Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Wings 5.30PM MST || We get it. JLA has lively boards.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
At least Barrie and Elliott are progressing forward. Barrie is obviously much further along than Stefan right now but Elliott has looked better than his first few games.

O'Brien is actually playing quite well. Much better than Hunwick/ROB/Zanon thats for sure.

This, basically this season we need to keep seeing this positive progress from Barrie and Elliott. They get more comfortable with each game out there and with our lack of trade pieces and free agency pull we really need these two guys to keep stepping it up. Elliott will keep learning and start curtailing those serious mistakes just like Barrie did.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
I don't get it. The little things Sacco does really annoy me. You have Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly all on the ice at the end so why is Stastny the one taking all the faceoffs? Duchene has been our best faceoff man this season and him and O'Reilly won 67% of their faceoffs tonight. Stastny was getting killed all night.

Just one of the reasons he's a bad coach... the little things.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
That is supposed to come from the coaching staff. That is their job.

If this coaching staff is so terrible why are all the players supposedly such big fans of sacco? You'd think if he wasnt doing his job someone would've spoken up by now. The coach can only tell the players what he wants hes not the one who fails to execute.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If this coaching staff is so terrible why are all the players supposedly such be fans of sacco? You'd think if he wasnt doing his job someone would've spoken up by now. The coach can only tell the players what he wants hes not the one who fails to execute.

Just because players like a coach doesn't mean he's a good coach. Hitchcock is basically hated by every player he's coached but he's one of the best around.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Probably about as well as that group can play. 2 or 3 chances that should've been goals. Really disciplined without the puck.

Barrie and Elliott looked very comfortable I thought, disregarding the latter's mess up.

Zanon should not be playing. O'Brien, sad to say, is a big improvement.

Faceoffs are a bright spot.

Worried Duchene and Stastny aren't getting enough ice time, but may have a lot to do with playing tomorrow night.

We're still incapable of generating quality scoring chances in the zone or off the cycle. Everything is so forced, so predictable, so frantic. Just generally poor at using and creating space and time. Easily my main complaint about Sacco.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If this coaching staff is so terrible why are all the players supposedly such big fans of sacco? You'd think if he wasnt doing his job someone would've spoken up by now. The coach can only tell the players what he wants hes not the one who fails to execute.

We don't even know if they actually like Sacco. If they don't, they're not going to publicly say it. No player is going to throw their current coach under the bus like that.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Our D looked okay there today.
O'Byrne played one of his best games this season and was OK, as was Hunny.
O'Brien and Elliott were both -2, but I thought they had solid games.
Hejda and Barrie were rocks again.

Basically what I would do if both EJ and Wilson are ready, then I'd waive Hunny, scratch ROB and everything else stays the same.

It'll be interesting to see who gets sent down/waived/traded if EJ and Wilson are ready to go.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011

:shakehead

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Just because players like a coach doesn't mean he's a good coach. Hitchcock is basically hated by every player he's coached but he's one of the best around.

Wasnt saying hes a good coach was just saying I think its a bit exaggerated when everyone blames sacco for all of the teams problems. Like firing him is going to make them a playoff team. The team is made up of mostly average players and potential. What do you really expect.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
I don't know how this team can ever sleep at night after these losses.

Maybe that's why we suck so much, because we are always dead tired. Never ending cycle.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would love to know what play Sacco is drawing up

7805459-a-white-dry-erase-board-with-red-marker-with-a-drawing-of-three-people-and-arrows-symbolizing-commun.jpg

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Wasnt saying hes a good coach was just saying I think its a bit exaggerated when everyone blames sacco for all of the teams problems. Like firing him is going to make them a playoff team. The team is made up of mostly average players and potential. What do you really expect.

Did anyone think the Blues would make the playoffs before they hired Hitchcock?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I really like Elliot's game tonight, the first time this year ive seen him make some rushes up the ice 5 on 5. And I have to admit OrrBrien has actually been good.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Did anyone think the Blues would make the playoffs before they hired Hitchcock?
The blues have a much more balanced team than the avs where players arent being stretched beyond their means. Put Hitchcock behind the bench and the team would still be inconsistent.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The blues have a much more balanced team than the avs where players arent being stretched beyond their means. Put Hitchcock behind the bench and the team would still be inconsistent.

And you know this how? Can't hurt to give it a try when things are obviously not going well.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I think an excellent coach could do wonders for this group in a couple important ways
- more systematic approach to breakout, PP, and team defense
- adjust to other teams tactics over the course of games (Sacco's worst failing)
- using players in the ways they're most likely to succeed (e.g. not putting Mitchell out to center 1st unit PP while leaving Duchene on the point :facepalm: )

I do agree that the group Sacco is given to work with is limited. He can't help it that he has to play Mitchell/Olver and Palushaj on his 3rd line or drunk Jones on the second. He can't help it that he has to choose between raw rookies and washed up pylons on D. But a better coach could absolutely get better results from this group when so many losses are coming down to such small margins. Obviously he can't stop Elliott from giving the puck away, but a better coach could tighten up other areas to give us a bit more margin the other way.

Unfortunately the chances of us getting an excellent coach and not just another mediocre in-house hire are slim to none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad