Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Wings 5.30PM MST || We get it. JLA has lively boards.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Late to the party, but over all a good game by the Avs. my observations:
-No one played horribly that I noticed.
-Pajamas should be a keeper. Hits more than I thought he would.
-Mitchell needs to be a center, especially when playing 4 lines consistently. put (the McLeod/Troll up or ROR's line til Duke is back)
- The D kids looked pretty good, SOB-Elliot is a good pair I think
- Kobasew is playing well in his roll
-Sacco has ZERO in game adjustments
THIS IS THE TEAM EFFORT THAT WOULD HAVE BEAT COLUMBUS

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
But the Avs had a 10+ game losing streak before under Sacco, and he wasn't fired, so I'm not even sure if THAT does it.

As frustrating as watching this team struggle under him has been I think management has probably understood better than we did how much more work needed to be done with this roster a couple years ago. I'm glad they haven't pulled an Edmonton and gone with 4 coaches in 4 years. But it's definitely time to move on to another coach because the other ways of improving the team (drafting high, trades, prospect influx) are drying up in a hurry and this group needs to start taking some steps forward. Hopefully front office feels the same way but I guess PL has never really believed in quality coaching.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
But the Avs had a 10+ game losing streak before under Sacco, and he wasn't fired, so I'm not even sure if THAT does it.

Well, i think 10 or 15 game losing streak and a last place finish in west or league could get him fired, not 100% sure, but most likely.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Well, i think 10 or 15 game losing streak and a last place finish in west or league could get him fired, not 100% sure, but most likely.

I just don't see a losing streak like that in the cards if we didn't even lose that much with as many injuries as we've had. As long as Varly and Giguere are back there we're not going to get blown out 2010/11 style.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I for some reason got really pissed off after we lost tonight. I think it might be because I went into this game truly believing that we could win, and considering how close we came to at least tying it.

I would sacrifice this lose for Sacco getting fired, but I doubt that'll happen...

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
staalface_medium.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Really frustrating loss considering how well we played.

Though we made Howard look like Lundqvist tonight, should've scored at least 3 on him.

+ Stastny's line
+ Elliott
+ Giguere
+ Parenteau, had a solid game on both ends of the ice.
+ Olver

- McGinn has been a no show the last two games
- PP, LOL PP.
- Giguere on the 2nd goal, LOL.
- Mitchell and Duchene for missing golden chances.
- O'Brien was such a train wreck, effin Pejorative Slured game by him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I for one thought the Avs actually played a decent game. This first time in a long time that I didn't feel like the Avs got pinned in their own end by the Wings.

Still can't score, I been saying all along that this is a bigger issue than our defense. If anyone has noticed the past 2 games we have given up a grand total of 4 goals against meaning 2 per game (plenty good enough to win both games) and yet we could only muster up 2 goals for. And what do we have to show for it 1 lousy loser point. The number 1 problem for this team is scoring the puck, not defense no matter how porous the names are on the back end.

Nice game by Giggy again. He is really a true professional. I honestly think he should ask for a trade so he can get an opportunity to play more as maybe a tandem goalie instead of a true backup and getting minimal chances.

Elliott looks terrible his weak ass shot that a 5 year old could have blocked cost us the first goal and also had numerous bad turnovers.

Liked not having Zanon in there he is awful.

I actually thought for the most part the forwards played fine, just couldn't finish which brings me back to my original point in the post of not being able to score we need some goal real goal scorers not the McGinns and PAPs of the worlds we need a Semin or a Perry although I know this is just a pipe dream.

ROR still looks like the game is a step too fast for him, but did have a couple of decent plays.

Duchene was fine, but he needs to put up points, no excuses.

Staz had one of his better games, got a goal and set up at least 3 really good chances that if we had anybody that could finish he would have maybe had an assist or two.

I know everyone is bagging Sacco, but his coaching didn't cost us the game tonight. Our lack of finishing ability cost us. Mitchell can't finish a wide open chance. PAP can't put one in on a breakaway. Landy can't can't finish off an excellent feed from Staz. Duchene can't find the net off a great bounce off the boards with 10 seconds left. These misses are not Sacco's fault. If we finish half these chances we either win by one or at minimum go to overtime against a team that plays well at home. The effort was fine, Sacco made good decisions on who got scratched. You can argue the alignment at the end with ROR and Duchene on the point but Sacco was trying to get his 6 best players on the ice, so he put Staz, ROR, Duchene, Landy, Mitchell and Barrie. I probably would have switched Barrie and Duchene to have ROR and Barrie at the points but really it wasn't that bad of an alignment. Don't get me wrong I still hate Sacco but tonight wasn't his fault.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It bugs me that O'Reilly removed his visor, since it partly seemed to be a vanity thing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think only for a few games in his rookie season. If i remember correctly he claimed it limited his on ice vision.

He had one for his full rookie season. You can go back and watch the OT goal in the playoff vs sharks and he'll have a visor there.

He removed it before his second season.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Am I the only one that thinks this is actually the closest talent wise we've been to Detroit since the last lockout (injury decimated 2007 playoff team not withstanding).

Thought Stastny had a bad middle frame but looked good in the 1st and 3rd. The points may not be there but he has looked better with Lando on his wing.

ROR looked a lot better. If he improves this much from one game to the next he might actually be worth that 6.5 million. Interested to see how he does on the back to back.

Feel bad for Giggy, losing on such a horrible bounce.

PAP and Dutchy looked good too but McGinn...not so much.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
I wish he'd give more info on the subject (as long as he was able to, not to burn a source or anything).

I asked him if he were able to elaborate on that, but he never responded.

What does he have to elaborate on .... I think it is pretty clear it has more to do with the O'Reilly signing and Sherman protecting himself than it has to do with Succo who is always going to remain a sub .500 coach

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Ugh can't believe the Dutchess missed that last open net chance. Almost leaped 5 rows down as he was going for it.

Overall, didn't look like we played bad (live). Just facepalmed after seeing Stef mess up leading up to the Franzen goal, but that's to be expected as he learns more and more.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
The irony of this game is that we now know how it feels to have a goalie steal a game from you.

Mant*

I for some reason got really pissed off after we lost tonight. I think it might be because I went into this game truly believing that we could win, and considering how close we came to at least tying it.

I would sacrifice this lose for Sacco getting fired, but I doubt that'll happen...

The only way the avs were going to win this game was if the red wings had an off night. If you truly believed we were going to win it, then you set yourself up for disappointment early.

Avalanche France

Oct 20, 2009
Bailly, France
Hey guys, I did not post for a long time but i did not stop reading the forum (Still full of nice information, especially when you are in France).
I was able to watch some of games lately and there are one or two things that i just don't get:
Why in hell Elliott is still here! Bring him back in AHL, the dude is absolutely not ready, way too much mistakes, he seems lost and can not handle the puck. I would really like Gaunce to take his place and show us what he's got.

Still on the D, Hunwick is for sure not a top 4 D-man, but i don't find him THAT bad. Everytime I see him on the ice he is playing 100%.

McGinn doesn't click with Matt and PA, i would like to switch him with the viking, and let him play with Stastny.

Anyway, i'll watch tonight's game and see the Hawks crying!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hey guys, I did not post for a long time but i did not stop reading the forum (Still full of nice information, especially when you are in France).
I was able to watch some of games lately and there are one or two things that i just don't get:
Why in hell Elliott is still here! Bring him back in AHL, the dude is absolutely not ready, way too much mistakes, he seems lost and can not handle the puck. I would really like Gaunce to take his place and show us what he's got.

Still on the D, Hunwick is for sure not a top 4 D-man, but i don't find him THAT bad. Everytime I see him on the ice he is playing 100%.

McGinn doesn't click with Matt and PA, i would like to switch him with the viking, and let him play with Stastny.

Anyway, i'll watch tonight's game and see the Hawks crying!

Glad you're still watching this team--and I though watching from Nebraska was showing dedication. :laugh:

Elliott was brought up to give the Avs some offensive spark, which they were desperate for. It's clear he needs more shakedown time, but he's shown some good things as well. When he comes back a little more confident I think we'll see great things from him. Watching Stefan handle the puck as opposed to watching someone like Zanon handle the puck is the difference between watching a sports car make hairpin turns on a road vs. a dump truck. I think with EJ, Wilson, Barrie, and SOB on the blueline we at least have competent puckhandling skills.

Hunwick puts in a full effort, which is why I like him as a 6/7 guy, but his mental game is still ridiculously bad. Still makes abhorrently dumb mistakes out there at least once a game. In the end, I hope he's traded this season...just my opinion as a fan, he's just too frustrating to watch.

McGinn frankly wasn't clicking with Stastny either, but was with Duchene for a short time. We'll see what happens. I know others have said it won't work but I'd like to see what a McPing/O'Reilly line could do.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Glad you're still watching this team--and I though watching from Nebraska was showing dedication. :laugh:

Elliott was brought up to give the Avs some offensive spark, which they were desperate for. It's clear he needs more shakedown time, but he's shown some good things as well. When he comes back a little more confident I think we'll see great things from him. Watching Stefan handle the puck as opposed to watching someone like Zanon handle the puck is the difference between watching a sports car make hairpin turns on a road vs. a dump truck. I think with EJ, Wilson, Barrie, and SOB on the blueline we at least have competent puckhandling skills.

Hunwick puts in a full effort, which is why I like him as a 6/7 guy, but his mental game is still ridiculously bad. Still makes abhorrently dumb mistakes out there at least once a game. In the end, I hope he's traded this season...just my opinion as a fan, he's just too frustrating to watch.

McGinn frankly wasn't clicking with Stastny either, but was with Duchene for a short time. We'll see what happens. I know others have said it won't work but I'd like to see what a McPing/O'Reilly line could do.

McGinn was clicking with Stastny early in the season when he rattled 8 shots off the iron from Stastny feeds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad