Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Yndi halda

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Signal Hill

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I'm still a little hesitant about trading Newhook. I feel like we could bridge out a deal that'll take him straight to UFA status at a good price while our window still open. It really all depends how he develops though. To me he looks way better than last year, but I'm definitely on the fence about it.
I don't think he would be traded. Him and Bo are the young legs we need

I think if they make a big move it will be before Friday.
Boone Jenner

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
People are moving the goal posts now on discussions about Newhooks skating. OK. LOL.

No, there have been negarive comments specifically about his speed/explosiveness.
Pointing out facts, meant to dispel the notion that he’s in the elite tier of skaters isn’t being negative.

Not one person who’s gone in depth on it has said he’s a terrible skater. Just that he went from being surrounded by lesser skaters (which made him stand out), to the NHL. Where he’s now merely a fine/good skater.

In fact one of the individuals who went on such a deep dive (henchy) even said that they like Newhook, but they see him as a Top 6 wing rather than a C.

There’s no goalpost shifting here. Just people who are clinging to a hope that he’s going to be our 2C answer and he’s really not.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Pointing out facts, meant to dispel the notion that he’s in the elite tier of skaters isn’t being negative.

Not one person who’s gone in depth on it has said he’s a terrible skater. Just that he went from being surrounded by lesser skaters (which made him stand out), to the NHL. Where he’s now merely a fine/good skater.

In fact one of the individuals who went on such a deep dive (henchy) even said that they like Newhook, but they see him as a Top 6 wing rather than a C.

There’s no goalpost shifting here. Just people who are clinging to a hope that he’s going to be our 2C answer and he’s really not.

This entire post is one big straw man. I said there were negative comments specifically about his speed and explosiveness. Your rebuttal is about something else.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't understand why people question Newhook's skating, he's very fast and shifty
He’s only fast when he gets to start in his own end where he has a chance to build a full head of steam, his acceleration is really not good at all and I’m not really sure what you’re talking about with his “shiftiness.”

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He’s only fast when he gets to start in his own end where he has a chance to build a full head of steam, his acceleration is really not good at all and I’m not really sure what you’re talking about with his “shiftiness.”

Case in point. Ha ha.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW Girard was absolutely phenomenal defensively last night.

Also have to give credit where credit is due, the PK looked about as good as I’ve ever seen it this season. Was actually aggressive and they got sticks in passing lanes, usually my two biggest complaints.

Case in point. Ha ha.
Whatever, I’m not getting into this.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Girard’s resurgence has been nice to see. Finally back to skating well again. Not only does it help the Avs for the stretch run, but it improves his value for the off-season. Or, it allows you to look at moving Toews instead. Depending on how the playoffs go for those two.

I think Manson should be the guy on the 3rd pair when Makar comes back. Slot him next to Englund, or Hunt.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I’ve always thought Newhook’s skating was great. It’s hockey IQ that makes him appear slower because he’ll be a step or two out of position or behind the play. Just like some poor skaters play a lot faster because of how they think the game.

When Newhook knows what he’s doing with the puck he can fly. Pretty shifty as well.

Still think he makes the most sense to trade because of his fit/next contract/value.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
People are moving the goal posts now on discussions about Newhooks skating. OK. LOL.

No, there have been negarive comments specifically about his speed/explosiveness.
Newhook suffers from not being a strong top 6 forward right now when the Avs could really need it. Some posters knock him for that.

He also benefits from being better than Jost in so many ways so gets extra credit for that from some posters.

Reactions: Nihiliste

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
Girard’s resurgence has been nice to see. Finally back to skating well again. Not only does it help the Avs for the stretch run, but it improves his value for the off-season. Or, it allows you to look at moving Toews instead. Depending on how the playoffs go for those two.

I think Manson should be the guy on the 3rd pair when Makar comes back. Slot him next to Englund, or Hunt.
Absolutely not. Manson is the only top-4 D that can actually use the body. Girard otherwise….

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
You ever heard of Cale Makar, Devon Toews, or Bowen Byram?
I said body, not transition. Among those three, Cale uses it sometimes in open ice but not when defending the slot. Same for the other two, even if less frequently. Manson has characteristics quite different from the other D we have.

Reactions: Turbonium

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I said body, not transition. Among those three, Cale uses it sometimes in open ice but not when defending the slot. Same for the other two, even if less frequently. Manson has characteristics quite different from the other D we have.

All those guys use their body to defend on the boards and the slot. You can’t win a championship if only one of your defenceman does that.

Manson has value. I think you’re definitely overstating his importance though. Or you’re undervaluing the defensive play of the other three. All three are significantly better defensively than Manson and use the body when it’s necessary.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Someday we’re all going to admit that Manson is not a top-four defenseman. Until then…

1677432434889.png

CMac at his finest.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Boy am I happy the Oilers balked at the Rangers asking price two summers ago. He was obviously going to be a risk but he is clearly a starting caliber goaltender and instead we have him while the Oilers have the corpse of Jack Campbell lol
Talent has always been there.. mental has been the question. I’m still skeptical with his prolonged stretches of poor play, but as a first year starter, he’s been good and showed the proper signs. With the Avs need more goaltending than previous years, this is a good sign to help overcome the impact on the depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad