GDT: Avs vs blues 8PM MST Wednesday, February 20

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That is exactly what we need. A whole team gunning for our guys.
As if we have not suffered enough concussions already....

I don't think how anyone can enjoy this. In the playoffs? Sure. I understand that. A meaningless regular season game which will probably turn very ugly? Not at all

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I'll also have the popcorn ready for April 21st because I expect Reaves vs Bordeleau to happen, which should be an awesome fight. I'm actually somewhat interested in whether the Blues get chippy on April 21st, or wuss out and wait until the next game where they will be at home (aka "pulling a Detroit").

I think the bordy/reaves fight is the most we will see aside from a physical game. If we played each other again next week it maybe be a different story but since its in April, I'm sure things will have cooled not to mention Hitchcock doesn't seem like the coach that wouldn't be able to reel in his team and keep them calm.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well, only got to watch the 1st period and half of the second, but it would appear that tanking with Varly is going to prove to be a problem....

Jones scored, that's not something you see everyday, sounds like he was still drunk, so we'll see if this allows him to break out of his slumber.

Pajamas looked pretty bad in the first period and a half, falling down everywhere, not hard on the puck, and with some poor passes. But it was his first bad game since coming here so we'll give him a break for one game, he's impressed in his first 4.

Those were the only real standouts. I thought for sure McGinn was gonna score last night after the chances he had in the 1st. The shot he rung off the crossbar was a beauty shot, he's just so badly snake bitten this year. Also thought PAP would get one after seeing some of the highlights.

Stastny looked good. Barries hooking penalty was BS, that was a real good defensive play by him and should not have been a penalty at all.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That is exactly what we need. A whole team gunning for our guys.
As if we have not suffered enough concussions already....

I don't think how anyone can enjoy this. In the playoffs? Sure. I understand that. A meaningless regular season game which will probably turn very ugly? Not at all

To be honest I think we have the soldiers to win that war. We have cement heads like SOB and ROB not to mention the bearded one. Bords is scary enough, mcleod can go Highlander and well zombie Johnson....I wouldnt wanna mess with him. The Blues have more to lose if they wanted to turn a hockey game into a boxing match.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just finished rewatching the game...at work...winning :handclap: My thoughts

1. Varlamov stole this one. I said it last night and will say it again. The amount of quality chances the blues had was insane. This team collapses way too much for my liking. Blues players were able to walk right into the slot uncontested all night. Had it not been for Varly we wouldve lost 7-8 nothing.

2. The Olver hit on Tarashenko was clean but unfortunate. If Olver wanted to absolultely cream Vlad he could have. He didnt charge at him whatsoever. Blues fans crying about it just comes with the territory when one of your best players gets hurt. Alot of ya'll were doing the same when lando got hit by a clean check.

3. Barrie was our best defender last night by far. He made one rookie mistake on that Steen fake but beyond that I thought he played well. Kinda hope he finished that 2 on 1.

4. Nice to see Stewart lack of backcheck on the OT goal haha wow im sure Hitch was loving that. Good play by Hunwick on that rush

5. Matt Duchene looked tired or hurt in the second half of the game. Couldnt really tell which. He seemed to have slowed down in the second half. He was still pretty dangerous everytime he had the puck.

6. Mcping man this guy has no luck. He couldve had 2 goals last night easily. 3 if you count his semi breakaway

7. I Miss Shatty.

8. Man does TJ Oshie dive alot. I like the kid but his theatrics yikes.

9. Elliott looks super nervous everytime he has the puck. Like its a freaking grenade. He needs to calm the eff down. I like the way he gets shots to the net on the point though. he should teach EJ how to do that.

10. Winning is funner then losing so im glad we won last night.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just finished rewatching the game...at work...winning :handclap: My thoughts

1. Varlamov stole this one. I said it last night and will say it again. The amount of quality chances the blues had was insane. This team collapses way too much for my liking. Blues players were able to walk right into the slot uncontested all night. Had it not been for Varly we wouldve lost 7-8 nothing.

2. The Olver hit on Tarashenko was clean but unfortunate. If Olver wanted to absolultely cream Vlad he could have. He didnt charge at him whatsoever. Blues fans crying about it just comes with the territory when one of your best players gets hurt. Alot of ya'll were doing the same when lando got hit by a clean check.

3. Barrie was our best defender last night by far. He made one rookie mistake on that Steen fake but beyond that I thought he played well. Kinda hope he finished that 2 on 1.

4. Nice to see Stewart lack of backcheck on the OT goal haha wow im sure Hitch was loving that. Good play by Hunwick on that rush

5. Matt Duchene looked tired or hurt in the second half of the game. Couldnt really tell which. He seemed to have slowed down in the second half. He was still pretty dangerous everytime he had the puck.

6. Mcping man this guy has no luck. He couldve had 2 goals last night easily. 3 if you count his semi breakaway

7. I Miss Shatty.

8. Man does TJ Oshie dive alot. I like the kid but his theatrics yikes.

9. Elliott looks super nervous everytime he has the puck. Like its a freaking grenade. He needs to calm the eff down. I like the way he gets shots to the net on the point though. he should teach EJ how to do that.

10. Winning is funner then losing so im glad we won last night.

True. He's been very good since EJ went down. Playing with a different kind of confidence, and assertiveness rather than thinking too much out there.

I'm coming around on him, but I'm still not sure if the end product with him is going to be a high enough level to consider him untouchable. He's getting and setting up some great chances, he and his teammates just need to cash in on them. I think then we'll have a better idea of what kind of production to hope for with him.

I also think Elliott looks more comfortable in his own zone than before too. Isn't running around as much, and is patiently trying to stay in position to break up plays.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
To be honest I think we have the soldiers to win that war. We have cement heads like SOB and ROB not to mention the bearded one. Bords is scary enough, mcleod can go Highlander and well zombie Johnson....I wouldnt wanna mess with him. The Blues have more to lose if they wanted to turn a hockey game into a boxing match.

Yeah they have more to lose. But what do we have to win?
If they cheapshot Duchene or Landeskog and they go down with a concussion or worse, I really don't care how many of their guys they would lose. This is not a playoff series. I just hope we get out of this "rematch" without any injuries.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would have to watch the hit again, but it seemed like there was not much time between once the pass left his stick and the time of contact.

Frankly I think he had adequate time to veer off, but Olver's not the problem. He didn't do anything tons of NHLers don't do all the time. And sorry, I think there's a lot about "the code" that can just go away and die, especially the notion of "finishing your check."

Again, I don't think it was blatantly dirty, but anyone who says it was unavoidable is full of it. The problem is not Olver, it's a culture the NHL needs to change. Instead of worrying about whether or not a puck went over the glass or was gloved by a guy at the faceoff dot, focus instead on doing everything possible to cut down on concussions. An easy place to start would be late or borderline late hits.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011

Couldn't agree more. He confidence with the puck and in his abilities is growing rapidly.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Frankly I think he had adequate time to veer off, but Olver's not the problem. He didn't do anything tons of NHLers don't do all the time. And sorry, I think there's a lot about "the code" that can just go away and die, especially the notion of "finishing your check."

Again, I don't think it was blatantly dirty, but anyone who says it was unavoidable is full of it. The problem is not Olver, it's a culture the NHL needs to change. Instead of worrying about whether or not a puck went over the glass or was gloved by a guy at the faceoff dot, focus instead on doing everything possible to cut down on concussions. An easy place to start would be late or borderline late hits.
So, you basically want to ban hitting from the NHL? Every hit can result in injury if the receiving player makes something stupid. It was a good, clean hit and it wasn't borderline late.

AvsFanRCN

Dec 21, 2011
Victoria, BC, Canada

Even though you have Zanon's head on your avatar I still can't help but read your posts in sean connery's voice. It both adds to your credibility and makes you more bad ass (much like zanon's beard)

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So, you basically want to ban hitting from the NHL? Every hit can result in injury if the receiving player makes something stupid. It was a good, clean hit and it wasn't borderline late.

See, I just KNEW someone would take my argument to the extreme. :rolleyes:

No, I am not arguing for the banning of hits or the pansification of the game, blah, blah, blah...All I know is, most every other contact sport, if you hit the guy late, you get a major infraction, no questions asked. You can have plenty of bone-jarring hits in hockey without the one we saw just last night. I love hitting in hockey--I loved it as a player, and I loved it as a fan. But I've never liked it when a guy hits someone else after the puck has already left the vicinity and the checker had enough time to stop or veer off. I think last night was an example of that. I don't think Olver's hit was dirty per se, but I would like to see that particular type of hit taken out of the game. That's my opinion.

And yeah, it was borderline late. If you don't want to be objective about it, fine, we'll agree to disagree. I like Olver, and I don't blame him much for leveling that hit, I just don't like the fact that it's "legal" and has been for quite some time.

Tarasenko did nothing stupid. "Keep your head up kid" is just a silly excuse most days. He did nothing wrong, merely played a puck that got caught in his skates. It wasn't like he was a youth league kid barreling down the ice with his head down. I don't think players should have to suddenly whip their head around looking for potential blindside hits headed their way every time they release the puck. And yeah, I don't think Landeskog did anything wrong either...and unlike Olver, I do believe that was a blatantly dirty hit and Stuart intended to hit the head. Maybe I'm biased, but I do believe there's plenty of evidence to show he was indeed leaving his feet at the time of the hit.

You'll never rid the league of concussions...but the NHL sure as hell could cut down on them big-time. And they could start by establishing better criteria when laying down Shanabans and also cracking down on contact after the play.

Even though you have Zanon's head on your avatar I still can't help but read your posts in sean connery's voice. It both adds to your credibility and makes you more bad ass (much like zanon's beard)

:yo: Thanks much. I strive for maximum credibility and badassery in every post.

(I almost said "beardassery" but that might've taken things a bit far)

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
(I almost said "beardassery" but that might've taken things a bit far)

You kinda did...

Rules-of-Engagement-3.jpg

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado

You'd like baseball, I think.

Mant*

A quarter to half a second is adequate time?

Mant*

You actually timed it?

No, it was counted out in frames on the big BURN OLVER thread. The time between Tarasenko playing the puck to turning into the hit was 8 frames... not even half a second. 8 frames were the difference from a shoulder to shoulder hit, and a shoulder to chest/face hit.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No, it was counted out in frames on the big BURN OLVER thread. The time between Tarasenko playing the puck to turning into the hit was 8 frames... not even half a second. 8 frames were the difference from a shoulder to shoulder hit, and a shoulder to chest/face hit.

There's a BURN OLVER thread? :laugh: This is why I don't venture outside the lovely confines of this forum very often.

Anyhow, it looked avoidable to me, but again, any other player in Olver's position would've done the exact same thing.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Now now, let's not go exaggerating to make Olver look better. It was 1/3 of a second.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Olver caught him right on the button. It looked like Tarasenko was out on the way down.

I don't think it was a particularly predatory or late hit. Nine times out of ten it's a shoulder to shoulder hit and Tarasenko may end up on the ice but no real damage done.

Mant*

There's a BURN OLVER thread? :laugh: This is why I don't venture outside the lovely confines of this forum very often.

Anyhow, it looked avoidable to me, but again, any other player in Olver's position would've done the exact same thing.

There's a thread about the hit where blues fans want him suspended, and almost everyone else says it was a good hit with an unfortunate outcome. Plus you've got the obligatory "never heard of Olver, but Tarasenko is a star... so make an example out of him even if the hit was legal" posts.

I think it's all a conspiracy by NBC. They put us on "rivalry night" when there wasn't a rivalry, and now there is a rivalry. Brain implants and remote controls in Olver and Tarasenko! Some of the blues fans seem to think there should be consequences against our other players in retaliation.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
There's a thread about the hit where blues fans want him suspended, and almost everyone else says it was a good hit with an unfortunate outcome. Plus you've got the obligatory "never heard of Olver, but Tarasenko is a star... so make an example out of him even if the hit was legal" posts.

I think it's all a conspiracy by NBC. They put us on "rivalry night" when there wasn't a rivalry, and now there is a rivalry. Brain implants and remote controls in Olver and Tarasenko! Some of the blues fans seem to think there should be consequences against our other players in retaliation.

Which is pretty sick for any fan of an NHL team to call or hope for. Just ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad