Confirmed with Link: Avs To Play Outdoor Game Feb 27th [UPD: PUBLIC sale 10/27]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Words in my mouth :rant::sarcasm: I never suggested, but said they would be. :p:

Whoever the group is, they will be non-offensive and have Denver ties. That leaves The Frey, The Lumineers, DeVotchKa, One Republic, and Earth, Wind, & Fire. It eliminates Cephalic Carnage and Flobots.

If those are the choices,

Outside hire please

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd be fine with even with a John Denver cover artist, Michael Martin Murphy or any other folk/country artist like Kenny Loggins sitting on the stage and eating granola for 20 minutes in the intermission if the AVs could get an outdoor game.

I simply love the team and the town so much (even though I only visit occasionally) I want them/y'all to have this.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
the lumineers would be fine. But ROR would be front row with his plaid shirt and skinny jeans.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
It was also reported a while back that the Rockies were very interested in hosting. And the Coors sponsorship thing works out there too. I wish they would do Folsom, but Coors Field seems to be a lock.

Now, to decide which band(s) will headline the event.

The singer from imagine dragons lives 15 or so homes away from me. I wonder if he's a hockey fan.

Mant*

I really don't get the appeal of stadium games. The lack of a crowd right up to the glass ruins it, and even if you're in the front row you're as far away from the action as if you were in the back row of an arena's lower bowl... but paying twice as much as you would for a front row seat. To get high enough up in the stands to see the ice, you're gonna be as far away as if you were in the arena nosebleed seats.

I just don't get it. Outdoor hockey is meant to be played on a pond with no boards, with bleachers right up next to it. This is nothing but a way to separate status symbol fans from their money.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think it's just a nice event. The organization and city/state could use some attention. It's fun for the players to have that experience of playing outdoors, enjoy a little attention and hype. We'd get special jerseys for the event. Maybe even get featured on NHL revealed if they keep doing the series. At the end of the day it is manufactured hype and meaningless, yes. But it's fun and would be nice for the Avs to host a hockey event. Casual fans around town might pay more attention and attend. They could host some college and youth games too. It's just good for hockey locally.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Rockies owner did a chat today on their twitter feed. Just thought it might be of interest to see what he said about an outdoor game.

@Rockies: .@maciolek1s We have been in discussions with the NHL and the Avalanche and hopefully we will have an outdoor hockey game at Coors Field.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
For what it's worth, the Avs season ticket renewals were sent out and it mentions only a 43 game schedule, as opposed to 44 (41 regular season + 3 preseason). Just thought it was interesting one game was missing.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
For what it's worth, the Avs season ticket renewals were sent out and it mentions only a 43 game schedule, as opposed to 44 (41 regular season + 3 preseason). Just thought it was interesting one game was missing.

That's interesting. But wouldn't season ticket holders be given tickets to this game. I would at least assume they would.

CrimsonPuma*

I wonder if other teams who have had outdoor games can offer insight if this is how it worked for their season tickets.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I would think they'd give STH rights to purchase but they can't force purchase (like how they do for preseason games for example). So that actually makes sense. Very interesting tidbit, thanks for sharing. Wonder what they say if people question why their package is only 43 games.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I wonder if other teams who have had outdoor games can offer insight if this is how it worked for their season tickets.

I was a Flyers STH in 2012 when the Winter Classic was in Philadelphia. The contract that each STH signed stated that we would get 44 games (41 Regular Season and 3 Preseason). We did not get the Winter Classic tickets and we were refunded for the lack of one game. But we were never told that we would not receive that 44th game, that they took our money for months in advance.

In fact this whole thing lead to a class action lawsuit against the Flyers. The Winter Classic is an NHL event and not an event by the home team. The contract we signed above obviously stated that we would get 44 games and that wasn't fulfilled on their part. Also, the Flyers forced their STH to buy tickets to the Alumni game and the AHL game in order to get Winter Classic tickets. Non-STH were able to just buy WC tickets. The lawsuit was settled and STH received a whopping $40 in stored value.

With all of that said I would say that it's guaranteed that the Avs will be getting an outdoor game with the 43 game schedule sent out.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
^This is awesome news! An outdoor game means only one thing............Stadium Series jerseys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hyper::hyper::hyper::pickle::pickle::pickle:
:dd::dm::m-dance::m-dance:

I have to go change my pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad