Confirmed with Link: Avs To Play Outdoor Game Feb 27th [UPD: PUBLIC sale 10/27]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Rumors are that Coors wants the Avs to play in a Stadium Series game next year, and this just appeared on Twitter:

Justin Bourne ‏@jtbourne 1h
The Avs are definitely getting a game next year.

And Justin Bourne appears to work for The Score and has played Pro Hockey (up to AHL level) and NCAA Hockey...not inconceivable that he has SOME inside info...

Let's carry on the conversation about this and the fact that the NHL apparently never wants to give the Winter Classic to anyone other than Eastern Conference teams.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
It was also reported a while back that the Rockies were very interested in hosting. And the Coors sponsorship thing works out there too. I wish they would do Folsom, but Coors Field seems to be a lock.

Now, to decide which band(s) will headline the event.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
I think the NHL would be smart to give the Avs a winter classic against the hawks, kings, or blues. All interesting teams that will make for some good HBO scenes.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
It was also reported a while back that the Rockies were very interested in hosting. And the Coors sponsorship thing works out there too. I wish they would do Folsom, but Coors Field seems to be a lock.

Duchene's got that covered, he has his contacts in the country music scene.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yay! I saw the adage article in the other thread. So we have the sponsor, the NHL and the host interested. I say looks good.

And of course Toronto wants to host one after they were the visiting team this year in the WC. I'm not over exaggerating when I say NBC does not allow western conference teams on TV. Our stadium series game would be on cable, NBCSN.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I think the NHL would be smart to give the Avs a winter classic against the hawks, kings, or blues. All interesting teams that will make for some good HBO scenes.

Only way Avs get a winter classic is if they play Detroit in Detroit, or Chicago get's to host one.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yay! I saw the adage article in the other thread. So we have the sponsor, the NHL and the host interested. I say looks good.

And of course Toronto wants to host one after they were the visiting team this year in the WC. I'm not over exaggerating when I say NBC does not allow western conference teams on TV. Our stadium series game would be on cable, NBCSN.

I would rage so hard if it was on NBC Sports Network...I don't have cable anymore, I just get the local channels through my Digital Tuner.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Folsom has the dual problems of being outside of denver and only having average seating capacity.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I would rage so hard if it was on NBC Sports Network...I don't have cable anymore, I just get the local channels through my Digital Tuner.

That's the channel the LA-Anaheim game was on. I'm not joking when I say Chicago playing an eastern conference team is the only time a western conference team is on NBC this season.

Avs would have to win the Cup to get in a WC. I stand by that. But I'm thrilled for this. Great for the city, state and organization.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Folsom!? **** that noise. I don't want the Buffs supreme suckage anywhere near the Avs.

I'd LOVE to see an outdoor hockey game at Coors Field. I hope they fire up the fountain for that game. There'll be plenty of drunken revelry with that new deck bar in place.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Outide of Denver, sure. But it has a seating capacity pretty close to Coors and the other ball parks they have had it at this year.

But then again, Party Deck!!!

Coors is the sponsor of the Stadium Series, there is no way they wouldn't have it at Coors Field.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States

I'm in a band. Everyone vote for Desert Train (a band no one has heard of from Indiana).

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Why does it have to be in Detroit if they just hosted one?

If you go back and look at the past Winter Classic's and the teams that have participated, the only Western Conference teams are the Detroit Red Wings (when they were in the Western Conference) and the Chicago Blackhawks. The NHL can put on a story and SAY they care about the Western Conference teams, but the proof is plain to see: They could not care any less about the Western Conference...unless it's Chicago or one of the Canadian teams in the Western Conference.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Outide of Denver, sure. But it has a seating capacity pretty close to Coors and the other ball parks they have had it at this year.

But then again, Party Deck!!!

If the NHL were to move the game outside of a major city they would need a compelling monetary reason. For example, the WC was in Ann Arbor largely because of the massive seating capacity of the Big House. I don't really think Folsom has any compelling monetary reason to be chosen over Coors. If it was a huge stadium, perhaps. But it's not, and will never be chosen.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You know NBC and the NHL would get The Fray to play most likely...because they're from Denver...and that would suck badly.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
If you go back and look at the past Winter Classic's and the teams that have participated, the only Western Conference teams are the Detroit Red Wings (when they were in the Western Conference) and the Chicago Blackhawks. The NHL can put on a story and SAY they care about the Western Conference teams, but the proof is plain to see: They could not care any less about the Western Conference...unless it's Chicago or one of the Canadian teams in the Western Conference.

I think the NHL cares about the west. It's NBC that couldn't give a fart about us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad