Avs to get Stadium Series at USAFA next year

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Out of curiosity...why so negative on it? Was it because I executed it poorly, or do you just have some deep dislike for that logo?

My second favorite ball cap is a burgundy one with that logo on it and I get thumbs up from people around town all the time for it...and I live in Fairbanks, AK.

For the inquiring minds, my favorite is a tan ball cap with the image of grumpy on the front. Pretty sure, he's the dwarf I most relate with.
I'm just done with the logo. I think it's outdated and doesn't fit into the current branding. I know I'm not alone in thinking that, but I know a lot of people like it. I used to too.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm just done with the logo. I think it's outdated and doesn't fit into the current branding. I know I'm not alone in thinking that, but I know a lot of people like it. I used to too.
It's all good friend. Personal tastes matter. To me though, the yeti footprint is more in keeping with the idea of an Avalanche than the Colorado state flag...especially, since I'm a fan from outside of Colorado. But I also completely understand why it is a source of pride for the residence of that great state...and am not completely against it because...hell, they are the COLORADO Avalanche and not just the Avalanche. But I also think these outdoor jersey's being a one off, should probably be a throwback to the history of the franchise. And that logo was one that hasn't been seen in many years. I also wouldn't have complained about the fleur de lis or an any other Quebec logo being involved. With all due respect to our friends in Quebec, this team's roots begin there and I for one have hated that they aren't acknowledged enough. Especially with the retired numbers. It would be one thing if they were simply waiting for a new team to arrive in Quebec and then transfer every bit of the past back to them, but with Sakic being a GM, I doubt any player who also played for Colorado would have their stats for their time in Quebec transferred back....

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's all good friend. Personal tastes matter. To me though, the yeti footprint is more in keeping with the idea of an Avalanche than the Colorado state flag...especially, since I'm a fan from outside of Colorado. But I also completely understand why it is a source of pride for the residence of that great state...and am not completely against it because...hell, they are the COLORADO Avalanche and not just the Avalanche. But I also think these outdoor jersey's being a one off, should probably be a throwback to the history of the franchise. And that logo was one that hasn't been seen in many years. I also wouldn't have complained about the fleur de lis or an any other Quebec logo being involved. With all due respect to our friends in Quebec, this team's roots begin there and I for one have hated that they aren't acknowledged enough. Especially with the retired numbers. It would be one thing if they were simply waiting for a new team to arrive in Quebec and then transfer every bit of the past back to them, but with Sakic being a GM, I doubt any player who also played for Colorado would have their stats for their time in Quebec transferred back....
Mm, yeah I don't personally think there's anything worth bringing back in the team's uniform history that wasn't already brought back with the redesign. I'm also of the mind that the Avs should do nothing Quebec related, and luckily the Avs seem to think so too. But that's just my two cents.

Not to mention that a throwback in the Stadium Series goes completely against the NHL's marketing, say what you will about their terrible designs.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Mm, yeah I don't personally think there's anything worth bringing back in the team's uniform history that wasn't already brought back with the redesign. I'm also of the mind that the Avs should do nothing Quebec related, and luckily the Avs seem to think so too. But that's just my two cents.

Not to mention that a throwback in the Stadium Series goes completely against the NHL's marketing, say what you will about their terrible designs.
Yeah, but to be fair (TBF...TBF...TBF) the stadium series sweaters all pretty much suck. It would be nice to actually create one that folks might enjoy owning and wearing while skating or playing a pickup game. Again, to be fair (TBF, TBF, TBF) if you create something that doesn't look an artist took a 4 year old kid to work with your parent day and mistakenly sent the kids template to the manufacturers, you could maybe...just maybe actually make some money on the jersey sales.

As of right now...I want a show of hands of anyone planning to or already purchasing this thing. Please feel free to explain why...because otherwise, I'll simply believe you have more money than you know what to do with or you are just a completionist on your collections...like my wife in WOW. She has to check every single box and get every single achievement. For her, it is more an impulsive need and not something she really enjoys but she paid for the game, so why not get everything it has to offer her. *LOL*

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think it’s too late to do anything Nords related after completely ignoring it from the onset. Would not seem genuine and would be seen as a cash grab. It was stupid for the Canes to wear the Whalers jersey after so many years.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I like XT's creation.
But...
...I like the red to be a little "bloodier", and the blue to be more of a steel blue.
And, f*** YES to the Foot!!!

Also, if some of yinz want to get together in the Springs to watch the game at a bar, I could be down with that.
I don't normally drink at bars, or watch the game at bars, so I don't have a suggestion of where we could go...

(I'm sure some of you have suggestions of where I could go, though...)

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
As a non-Coloradan, I have a transportation question.

1-10 how much of a dick am I if I force an Uber to take me from Denver to Springs?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
As a non-Coloradan, I have a transportation question.

1-10 how much of a dick am I if I force an Uber to take me from Denver to Springs?

It's a pretty common thing for them to take people to and from the airport. It used to be a flat fee that is advertised in most cabs. Not sure about uber specifically though.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
It's a pretty common thing for them to take people to and from the airport. It used to be a flat fee that is advertised in most cabs. Not sure about uber specifically though.
It’s about $85 each way per Uber to go from downtown to Springs which seems relatively reasonable to me, especially since I’ll be splitting it with a friend.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I may be about to completely make an ass of myself, but I think @McMetal has or does drive for Uber. But I may be completely getting him mixed up with someone else lol.
Yep, that's definitely me

To be honest, @Gatorbait19 , your Uber driver may not be super happy with you about that trip. Going to the airport is one thing, because you can always get a ride once you're there. The Springs is another matter, although to be honest I've never been pulled that far south before (mostly drive in Boulder, on the opposite side of Denver) so I'm not familiar with how good business is there or how easy it is to find a ride back north.

That being said though, I wouldn't feel too bad about it if I were you. Money is money when you're a driver, and getting pulled to unexpected, far-flung places is just one of the built-in hazards of the job. It happens to all of us sometimes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

To be honest, @Gatorbait19 , your Uber driver may not be super happy with you about that trip. Going to the airport is one thing, because you can always get a ride once you're there. The Springs is another matter, although to be honest I've never been pulled that far south before (mostly drive in Boulder, on the opposite side of Denver) so I'm not familiar with how good business is there or how easy it is to find a ride back north.

That being said though, I wouldn't feel too bad about it if I were you. Money is money when you're a driver, and getting pulled to unexpected, far-flung places is just one of the built-in hazards of the job. It happens to all of us sometimes.

I feel like if I were a driver I'd enjoy long distance trips more than several shorter trips. Unless I'm missing something in the pay scheme?

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Why would it be a dick move? Because of traffic?
I don’t know anything about the traffic between Denver and Springs, so it’s more that it’s just so far from Denver that I feel like some drivers would be super pissed.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

That was my take away from it. I know it would suck as a driver getting a fare that takes you so far outta the way, but that’s part of the job. I just figured I’d give a good tip and tell them they shouldn’t have a problem getting someone to take them back to Denver after the game.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Why would it be a dick move? Because of traffic?

Probably lol, I guess 25 has gotten even worse. I think it is about 45 minutes, or was in like 2009. I think I'd like longer trips too, but there would be a no talking rule lol.

I refuse to pick up long distance hospital transfers (Like inter state) for the fear of having to be stuck in the back with a patient that long.

Haha, glad I got that right.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Probably lol, I guess 25 has gotten even worse. I think it is about 45 minutes, or was in like 2009. I think I'd like longer trips too, but there would be a no talking rule lol.

Oh my... I didn't think about that. I absolutely hate small talk to strangers which means that I probably would have low ratings given by passengers. :laugh:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh my... I didn't think about that. I absolutely hate small talk to strangers which means that I probably would have low ratings given by passengers. :laugh:

Just put an add on the car. "Sound proof cab, ride in silence!"

Positive reverse psychology to politely tell them to STFU.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I feel like if I were a driver I'd enjoy long distance trips more than several shorter trips. Unless I'm missing something in the pay scheme?
It depends, but I prefer short trips for a couple of reasons. One: a short trip is likely going to leave you still in the busy zone at the end of it, or at least a short hop back. Long trips might leave you in a dead zone where you have to drive back to get another ride. Second: surge pricing is tacked on as a flat rate on each trip, so a $5 surge is just as good on a short trip as a long one, and I might even get more than one of those surges if the trips are short. Third: there are bonuses that are based on the number of rides you do. So a 5 minute trip is worth just as much for the purposes of the bonus as a 50 minute trip, and I could potentially rack up 7 or 8 of those in the time it would take me to finish a long ride.

That said, long rides ARE profitable. And as long as you're not going out to Fort Morgan or Idaho Springs the driver should be able to pick up another ride at the end of it.

Actually, I really would rather talk than not talk. Long rides to the airport in silence are boring and awkward, it makes the time go way faster to chat. Plus, people tip more if you have a good conversation.

Reactions: Balthazar

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It depends, but I prefer short trips for a couple of reasons. One: a short trip is likely going to leave you still in the busy zone at the end of it, or at least a short hop back. Long trips might leave you in a dead zone where you have to drive back to get another ride. Second: surge pricing is tacked on as a flat rate on each trip, so a $5 surge is just as good on a short trip as a long one, and I might even get more than one of those surges if the trips are short. Third: there are bonuses that are based on the number of rides you do. So a 5 minute trip is worth just as much for the purposes of the bonus as a 50 minute trip, and I could potentially rack up 7 or 8 of those in the time it would take me to finish a long ride.

That said, long rides ARE profitable. And as long as you're not going out to Fort Morgan or Idaho Springs the driver should be able to pick up another ride at the end of it.

Actually, I really would rather talk than not talk. Long rides to the airport in silence are boring and awkward, it makes the time go way faster to chat. Plus, people tip more if you have a good conversation.

That's why you are good at it, and we'd suck lol.

When I'm transport patients it is better to talk, but the person needs to want to. I'm not great at leading the small talk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad