Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Artem Anisimov to PTO

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've been pushing C depth since before Kadri was here. I mean Kadri is fine, assuming his play last year isn't a the new norm. The issue at the moment is Jost and Belly. They just can't compete against the likes of Faksa, Cirelli, Gourde, JGP, Danault, Johnson, Cizikas, Trochek, Staal, etc. Kadri was a step in the right direction but they continue to try and patchwork it year after year after year.

Center depth was an issue before Kadri was brought in, no doubt. And I don't necessarily disagree with some of your other points here. I think they need to keep a close eye on Jost this season, and look at making a good deadline acquisition if he doesn't take another really good step in his development next year.

But I don't think the difference between Jost and whatever we agree would be a suitable replacement at 3C was the reason they lost to Vegas, or what should hold them back from winning the Cup.

For instance, I don't think that Blues Cup team with ROR, Schenn, and Bozak is an elite center group. It's just solid, and it matches their hard working, two way playing style.

Same with Lars Eller for the Caps Cup team the previous year at 3C. Both Eller and Bozak are upgrades on Jost, but not to the extent that they're the difference between winning the Cup and losing in the 2nd round.

Case in point IMO, the Avs with MacKinnon, Kadri, and Jost/Compher/Soderberg swept the Blues with ROR, Schenn, and Bozak. And a big part of that was because the Blues lost their stud defenseman in Pietrangelo.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don’t think there’s a set formula. The big thing is, you don’t want all your talent on the wing.

Not missing key players due to injury/suspension would be big help come playoff time.
Formula is somewhat set I would say. Having the C and D positions locked down are the most important positions 100%. Blackhawks are the only ones recently to not have an elite 1-2 punch at C but were able to get away with it due to Kane.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Formula is somewhat set I would say. Having the C and D positions locked down are the most important positions 100%. Blackhawks are the only ones recently to not have an elite 1-2 punch at C but were able to get away with it due to Kane.

Not to belabor this debate, but I think it's all important. You can't do anything without goaltending either.

But you can win without an elite goaltender. And way more teams with good defenses and average offenses have won the Cup in the last 30 years, than teams with good offenses and average defenses.

And the Avs had some great centers and forwards for many years but never went anywhere because they had poor defenses. And IMO the biggest reason they lost last year was due to the game costing mistakes from defenseman like Nemeth and Graves.

So if there's any one area that should be viewed as the most important for both the Avs and NHL teams in general, it's defense IMO. Replacing Nemeth and Graves with hopefully a healthy Byram and EJ should make a big difference though.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Any team will need a bit of luck to beat Tampa this coming year. No team is as good as Tampa (best team of the last decade). That being said, defense is the most important cog in the machine, and Avs D is best in the league.

Reactions: flyfysher

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The three biggest things the Avs need this season to win it all imo:

1. Health
2. Better clutch goaltending
3. Depth scoring

I’m confident they have everything else necessary. They might have those three things too, but it’s too early to tell.

Weird that this conversation is unfolding in the Artem Anisimov thread. :laugh:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

1. Health
3. Depth scoring

I’m confident they have everything else necessary. They might have those three things too, but it’s too early to tell.

Is it a true HF board conversation if it happens in the correct thread?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Also I don't think the Blues had an elite 1-2 punch. I'll take MacKinnon-Kadri over ROR-Schenn any day.
And the Blues 1-2 punch reinforced your point about "defense wins championships" as ROR is one of the best defensive C in the league.

You need both strong C and strong D but if given the choice I would take a stronger D than C than the other way around. The Avs have a great D core but it is built differently than the usual D that have won championships in the past. Adding EJ and Murray should balanced the D core much better this year....if they stay healthy obviously.

Better goaltending and secondary scoring are also other issues the Avs have in the playoffs.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And the Blues 1-2 punch reinforced your point about "defense wins championships" as ROR is one of the best defensive C in the league.

You need both strong C and strong D but if given the choice I would take a stronger D than C than the other way around. The Avs have a great D core but it is built differently than the usual D that have won championships in the past. Adding EJ and Murray should balanced the D core much better this year....if they stay healthy obviously.

Better goaltending and secondary scoring are also other issues the Avs have in the playoffs.

Totally agree, and that was the key "problem" with the Avs D core last year in the playoffs. The balance.

They had great mobile D men in Makar, Girard, and Toews, but their more defensive oriented defenseman that played defensive roles were guys like Graves, Nemeth, and Timmins to an extent. Guys who were a little too mistake prone.

Adding a healthy Byram and EJ, with Murray will make a big difference. There shouldn't be too much to worry about with a healthy Avs D core. It's whether they can stay healthy enough or not in the playoffs that could be the problem area. Hopefully it won't be.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Totally agree, and that was the key "problem" with the Avs D core last year in the playoffs. The balance.

They had great mobile D men in Makar, Girard, and Toews, but their more defensive oriented defenseman that played defensive roles were guys like Graves, Nemeth, and Timmins to an extent. Guys who were a little too mistake prone.

Adding a healthy Byram and EJ, with Murray will make a big difference. There shouldn't be too much to worry about with a healthy Avs D core. It's whether they can stay healthy enough or not in the playoffs that could be the problem area. Hopefully it won't be.
How did I forget Byram?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
My biggest problem with our center depth is Kadri. If he could just reign it in and keep the stupid stuff out of it, I'd feel a lot better. However he's shown more than a few times that come playoff time he can't be relied upon. Not because he chokes, but he goes and gets suspended.

I just hope we get 2019/20 Kadri and not last spring.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My biggest problem with our center depth is Kadri. If he could just reign it in and keep the stupid stuff out of it, I'd feel a lot better. However he's shown more than a few times that come playoff time he can't be relied upon. Not because he chokes, but he goes and gets suspended.

It's basically a guarantee at this point and the fact that Sakic didn't insulate that this year has me worried. Just really hope he does something at the TDL.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

To be fair though, it really only has been a few times.

I wouldn't rule it out for the rest of his career, but if we had to pick the least likely year he makes a bonehead hit to get suspended, I think it would be the season after he made a bonehead hit where he wants to prove he can be relied up, that also happens be his last chance to cash in on a big long term deal in a contract year.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
To be fair though, it really only has been a few times.

I wouldn't rule it out for the rest of his career, but if we had to pick the least likely year he makes a bonehead hit to get suspended, I think it would be the season after he made a bonehead hit where he wants to prove he can be relied up, that also happens be his last chance to cash in on a big long term deal in a contract year.
I mean suspended 3/7 playoffs isn't a good ratio.

I hope you're right, what your last paragraph said makes sense. However Kadri is also a hot head so I just hope he's better able to keep his cool.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I mean suspended 3/7 playoffs isn't a good ratio.

I hope you're right, what your last paragraph said makes sense. However Kadri is also a hot head so I just hope he's better able to keep his cool.
My other issue with Kadri is he needs to use his linemates much better this season. IMO he was worst last season than usual with regard to having tunnel vision. It would open up a lot more ice for him if he would distribute the puck more instead of taking bad shots or toe dragging.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My other issue with Kadri is he needs to use his linemates much better this season. IMO he was worst last season than usual with regard to having tunnel vision. It would open up a lot more ice for him if he would distribute the puck more instead of taking bad shots or toe dragging.

I think this was true, especially towards the end of the season. It's weird though, because early and towards the middle of the season, it looked to me like he was trying to play playmaker a lot more than he used to. It surprised me a bit and I viewed it as a welcome change to his game.

He got away from that for whatever reason. Not sure why. I think he might have been just trying to force that goal to come during his goal slump, to get it behind him and put him on a good streak, rather than a bad streak for his confidence, and that mindset carried over to the playoffs.

If there's one thing I'd like him to put to bed, or at least bring down the total attempts from like 100 to 10 or something, is his 1 on 1 toedrag move. It almost never works, and he'd usually b better served just putting a shot on net, or dumping the puck down low or to a teammate to hopefully maintain possession of the puck.

When he tries the toe drag move it almost always results in no shot attempt and a turnover.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Avs should be done with veterans that are running on fumes. Didn't they learn anything from trade deadline last year?

I know it's just a PTO, but it's the gateway drug to signings.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

1. Health
3. Depth scoring

4. Coaching
5. Alot of luck in the playoffs

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Hes a stupid hockey player you cant put these sort of expectations on him. Just dont let him handle the puck much, get open, shoot and get the f*** out everyone else way.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I'm only half-joking on that, but it is rather frustrating when the Avs waste time on a power play or give up the occasional goal off the draw simply because they didn't have anyone who could win a goddamned faceoff. I'm not asking for Paul Gaustad here, just someone who can win the puck back. Even Kadri seemed to take a big step back from that this last season.

Avs were 50.1% in the playoffs (8th) and 51.6% (also 8th) in the regular season. This narrative that the Avs are horrid at faceoffs has to stop. They were average to above average last year.

May drop a bit this year, as Bellemare was the best (by % won...3rd in # won). Helm is above average on his career, but has never been a go-to guy on the dot. Ansimov is well below average. So I expect the team as a whole to float right around average...say the 49.8-50.2 range. Maybe better if Jost continues to improve (his average last year was 46.8%, a more than 7% improvement over his career average of 39.6%...significant given that it was also the most faceoffs he has ever taken in a season.

Also, Kadri was still well above his career average (52.8% to 49.1%), but well down from the prior two years (55.2% and 56.8%).

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't care too much about faceoffs wins because IMO overall faceoffs are not that important in a game. With that said there are four situations where faceoffs have considerable impact:

1. On the PP: every faceoff you lose you reduce your PP by 20 secs.
2. On the PK: every faceoff you win you reduce the other team's PP by 20 secs
3. Last few seconds of any period: if you get scored on it deflates the team.
4. OT: you have your best players chasing the puck for sometimes a very long time instead of creating scoring chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad