Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Artem Anisimov to PTO

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It's so hard to say in retrospect, because so much has changed every year. Sakic has got better every year. Either way, having O'Reilly would've made our window was sooner, and does 2016-19 Sakic have enough experience to put together a cup contending team? It would be a vastly different team. Most likely means no Makar, Girard, and Byram. Barrie would probably still be on the team making $7.5 mil+, maybe have Chabot+? (if i'm remembering the Duchene rumours correctly?).

Well yeah, the team is likely very different, but I am not sure Barrie sticks around at that price. I think Barrie is still traded and instead of needing a 2C, he is probably swapped for a wing and possibly a better pick.

I mean as much as I love Makar, Girard, and Byram, I'd take a Cup over all 3. Plus, we just don't know what would have eventually happend with Duchene. I think he still would have been traded, and I believe if they had made the decision to trade him instead of ROR (at the time) that they would have gotten A LOT better of a package for him. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Reactions: shadow1

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well yeah, the team is likely very different, but I am not sure Barrie sticks around at that price. I think Barrie is still traded and instead of needing a 2C, he is probably swapped for a wing and possibly a better pick.

I mean as much as I love Makar, Girard, and Byram, I'd take a Cup over all 3. Plus, we just don't know what would have eventually happend with Duchene. I think he still would have been traded, and I believe if they had made the decision to trade him instead of ROR (at the time) that they would have gotten A LOT better of a package for him. Ah well, c'est la vie.

I would make that trade too, but what does out defense look like without those 3? I honestly don't think we had enough assets to win a cup, even with the assets from Duchene. Our defense (assuming he went to Ottawa with Chabot+ coming back). I also don't see an option where we could let Barrie go. Our defense would've be something like:

Chabot - EJ
X - Barrie
X - X

And i'm not sold we would've found the right pieces on defense or depth forwards to push us over the top in time, considering both our amateur and pro scouts had some of the worst results in the league. This was back when we were hoping players like Grigorenko or Andrighetto would be top 6 pieces and were hedging our bets on defense with Weircioch, Gelinas, and Barberio.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Why would keeping ROR guarantee a cup? We don’t suck long enough to Makar in this scenario.

So it’s like saying ROR >>> Makar?

Or am I missing something?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Why would keeping ROR guarantee a cup? We don’t suck long enough to Makar in this scenario.

So it’s like saying ROR >>> Makar?

Or am I missing something?

We had the shittiest of defense back then... there's no way we would have won a cup with that defense and injury plagued Varly in net.

I think the potential was there for Colorado to win a cup, but the fate of the "Duchene-era" Avalanche was sealed a year before the O'Reilly trade thanks to the brutal 2014 off-season.

F: Bordeleau, Cliche, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, McGinn, McLeod, Mitchell, O'Reilly, Parenteau, Talbot, Tanguay
D: Barrie, Guenin, Hejda, Holden, Johnson
G: Varlamov, Berra
UFA: Stastny

By my count, they had $12.9M heading into that off-season. Instead of keeping using most of that money to fix the defense, or re-signing Stastny and using the remaining $5.9M on a defenseman, they let Stastny walk, traded Parenteau for Briere (no cap savings), and used the cap space Iginla, Redmond, and Stuart. I also want to point out that drafted Conor Bleakley that off-season.

Glass half full, that brutal off-season directly led to drafting Rantanen and indirectly led to drafting Makar. :thumbu: :5:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I absolutely love this signing, and at 33 could absolutely get back to at least a 40 point season (and easily replace Donskoi). Huge forward (which we need).

I'd actually go:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Jost - Anisimov - Nichushkin
Maltzev - Helm - Compher

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He was incredibly slow in that game, I don’t think it’s gonna work out. I’m sure he’ll get another but if he was really getting a look he should have played Thursday too like JJ did.
Anisimov is clearly behind Maltsev and Bowers for that 4C spot one would think, along with possibly Compher if Ranta takes that 3RW spot to knock Compher down to 4C. Not looking very likely for him at this stage, and honestly it would be almost disappointing if we signed him given that it would effectively completely block Bowers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Anisimov is clearly behind Maltsev and Bowers for that 4C spot one would think, along with possibly Compher if Ranta takes that 3RW spot to knock Compher down to 4C. Not looking very likely for him at this stage, and honestly it would be almost disappointing if we signed him given that it would effectively completely block Bowers.
I don't think we will. He reminds me of Soda last year; too slow to play center and Bednar ended up not playing him there at all.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
He's looking like one of those guys you wish you had around if 3 of your NHL regulars got hurt, but that's it. I am really hoping there is some change in philosophy in the org to say if that sort of really bad luck happens we just gotta learn how to handle it with the young resources we got. They won't be as good as the regulars, but they will be better than retreads who waste away on the scratch list or that we pick up at the TDL only to realize hey they are a lot worse than we remember.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad