Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Artem Anisimov to PTO

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly think he earns a contract and think he will do a lot for our center depth.

He didn't play a lot last year but in the games he did he was still basically a 0.5 PPG player. Not great at faceoffs but decent defensively and was always a bit of a utility guy that can slot into a number of spots and play well(Like 3rd Goalie).

Should add some solid vet depth to the bottom 6

Reactions: Reparlana

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
This is basically the break-glass 3C insurance policy incase Jost can't replicate his play at 3C from the last two months of last season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
My God is it a prerequisite for the Avs that you can only play center for them if you absolutely SUCK at faceoffs...???
Avs were #1 in faceoffs in 16-17. We know how that season went.

Clearly, the causation = correlation argument is something the Avs decided they'd pin on faceoffs. Win faceoffs? Suck ass. Nobody is allowed to be good at it.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Clearly, the causation = correlation argument is something the Avs decided they'd pin on faceoffs. Win faceoffs? Suck ass. Nobody is allowed to be good at it.
by the end of the first period the other team stopped trying because they were already up 4 goals.

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
Terrible (PTO) to fufill a vet spot sleepy joe must be replaced.

/s

Though with this one I could see the Avs picking him up. Size, consistent production entire career, if not depth and waiver fodder.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
What injuries has he been dealing with that he missed so much time last year

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Generally I don't care about the ability to win a FO until someone like Cole, is penalized in a critical situation, like an OT PO game IIRC.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So..

MacKinnon
Kadri
Jost
Helm/Anisimov

? Doesn't really inspire much confidence tbh.
How does that not inspire much confidence lol? Our middle six centres are certainly average at best but do people really expect elite players at every position or something? Our 1C is a legit franchise superstar. One other team in the NHL has a centre better. He plays over a third of the game. Anisimov would likely be one of the better 4C’s in the league.

Again our middle six is average, but it’s ok to be average in some areas. Especially when so many other areas are high end. To top it off if Jost plays like he did once he moved full time to 3C last year and if Kadri goes back to how he was 12 months ago the Avs are one of the best teams in the league down the middle.

Sometimes I feel like people think building an NHL team is like a video game. It would be nice to have Mackinnon-Barkov-Couturier-Faksa down the middle but it wouldn’t be realistic.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Depends on what Kadri shows up. If he plays at his capability, i'll feel a lot more comfortable with our center depth. If it's last year's Kadri... then ya we have problems. I also have more faith in Jost than most though.

I know Kuemper is the better goalie, but if we could've used those assets to get a guy like Reinhart while keeping Grubs.. I'd be happier with our forward group. The top line is amazing but our depth is severely lacking.

Reactions: 95snipes

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Depends on what Kadri shows up. If he plays at his capability, i'll feel a lot more comfortable with our center depth. If it's last year's Kadri... then ya we have problems. I also have more faith in Jost than most though.

After another series-eliminating suspension and coming up on a contract year, if Kadri can't elevate his play for this season he never will.

Personally I think he's going to come close to cracking 30 goals. Maybe around 24-26.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I know Kuemper is the better goalie, but if we could've used those assets to get a guy like Reinhart while keeping Grubs.. I'd be happier with our forward group. The top line is amazing but our depth is severely lacking.

It would have been a very tricky scenario. It would've meant we needed to bridge Makar, not sign Murray, pay someone to take Compher. Kuemper + Reinhart would come in at $12.5 mil, so we would still be over the cap (while still having to fill other depth pieces).

Reactions: Chiarelli

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It would have been a very tricky scenario. It would've meant we needed to bridge Makar, not sign Murray, pay someone to take Compher. Kuemper + Reinhart would come in at $12.5 mil, so we would still be over the cap (while still having to fill other depth pieces).
Yeah, that's true. Our depth was so much better last season though, it's a shame we once again got ousted so early.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How does that not inspire much confidence lol? Our middle six centres are certainly average at best but do people really expect elite players at every position or something? Our 1C is a legit franchise superstar. One other team in the NHL has a centre better. He plays over a third of the game. Anisimov would likely be one of the better 4C’s in the league.

Again our middle six is average, but it’s ok to be average in some areas. Especially when so many other areas are high end. To top it off if Jost plays like he did once he moved full time to 3C last year and if Kadri goes back to how he was 12 months ago the Avs are one of the best teams in the league down the middle.

Sometimes I feel like people think building an NHL team is like a video game. It would be nice to have Mackinnon-Barkov-Couturier-Faksa down the middle but it wouldn’t be realistic.

I'll argue that center is the area where you can least afford to be average.

Anisimov is cooked. He'll get a contract, but he's not good now and I think he's a poor stylistic fit as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
All Avs had to do was make all the moves they did, but trade Compher with his entire contract for a LTIR player, a draft pick, and then sign Saad for that deal he got with the Blues. I haven't crunched the nums, but I am pretty sure Avs would've been good with the cap.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

The issue is that being deep at C is basically a requirement to win a cup. The Avs current C core significantly lacks not only when compared to Cup winning teams, but also every team they'll be competing with for cup except for Vegas. Who unsurprisingly hasn't been able to get over the hump.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
The issue is that being deep at C is basically a requirement to win a cup. The Avs current C core significantly lacks not only when compared to Cup winning teams, but also every team they'll be competing with for cup except for Vegas. Who unsurprisingly hasn't been able to get over the hump.
I agree with this and basically came to post the same thing.

Our 2/3/4 centers may be average around the league (that's generous IMO, I'd slot them around ~20th), but if you filter by expected playoff teams, the outlook is much worse. I'd say easily in the bottom 20%.

I'm also way lower on Kadri than most here and basically view Jost as a 4C.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I like this signing. He's had decent production his last few seasons.

Maybe he can have a Jack Skille type of season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad