Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Do you blame him? He has made a website off quoting other people.

I can see why it might upset some people but I don't think he's done anything wrong by misleading people or quoting incorrectly. Doesn't seem all that different from a site like PFT. Although, Florio has his own sources and they do their own stories as well.

Why do you say that?

What did I miss?

From 30 thoughts:

This is a one-time only rant from me in this column, but here it is: My days of doing this stuff are over, except for what I’m contractually-obligated to do. Content aggregators have ruined it for everyone. Few stories get broken on radio because it’s just not set up for that as easily as Twitter or TV or our company websites. We go on radio to have a conversation, to expand on a story, to shoot the breeze, to talk like we would over beers at a bar. It’s spit-balling. But, these content thieves turn it into hard news, which it isn’t. It’s ridiculous and not worth the aggravation.

He has brought it up a few times before on the radio as well.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I don't see an issue with it. He doesn't try to take ownership for the quotes. He cites absolutely everything he posts. Guys like Lebrun have given Chris shout outs for his operations while Friedman keeps throwing hissy fits.

Fact is Chris Nichols has supplied me with much more beneficial information since Friedman started working for Rogers than Friedman has.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I can see why it might upset some people but I don't think he's done anything wrong by misleading people or quoting incorrectly. Doesn't seem all that different from a site like PFT. Although, Florio has his own sources and they do their own stories as well.

There were a number of times in the early stages where he didn't link the quotes and sometimes doesn't always get back to linking a segment. He is walking a fine line. I'm not upset that he is doing it, but I can see how the insiders don't like somebody ripping off their work.

I don't see an issue with it. He doesn't try to take ownership for the quotes. He cites absolutely everything he posts. Guys like Lebrun have given Chris shout outs for his operations while Friedman keeps throwing hissy fits.

Fact is Chris Nichols has supplied me with much more beneficial information since Friedman started working for Rogers than Friedman has.

There were moments in the beginning and some occasional missteps happen. I personally don't have an issue with it, but I can see how a number of the people he quotes would.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wiz got bought out because Carolina's young defensemen all stepped up last year. They don't want to slow their progress and are creating room for them (and Murphy). Wiz has been a 20+ minute defensemen everywhere since he got shipped out of Chicago. He has his faults, but is a solid #4 that is just coming off an injury.

If he was any good, wouldn't the Canes try to trade and get something in return instead of buying him out?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Only way the Avs trade Barrie for forward(s) is if they are flipping one of their own.

Barrie and Grigs for RNH and Yak... Then in turn trade Duchene to minny for Dumba and a slight add?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If he was any good, wouldn't the Canes try to trade and get something in return instead of buying him out?

He had a 5.5m cap hit and with the cap where it is, they would have had to retain a significant chunk... a lot more than what they have to shell out for a buyout this year (only $1m this season) and likely the whole buyout in general. Cash means a lot to Carolina right now.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I really dont like RNH. He seems to small/fragile to be an impact player in the future.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nichols is very careful about what he posts. He listens to everything twice and sometimes even more before relaying the info. I love what he does. He's my favorite Twitter follow.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Ill be honest and say i actually really like RNH but he's just too weak. As soon as you need to rely him..bam he's out for a couple weeks.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm actually getting the impression that the Avs are not actively shopping any of our guys. But other teams are targeting our guys as potential trade targets and are approaching us with offers.

Like for example I feel like EDM is targeting Barrie. And if they get desperate enough I feel like the Avs play their cards right they could walk away with a haul for Barrie and walk away laughing. It also sounds like Avs might have inquired about Trouba, at this point I feel a lot of teams did the same thing. But then they wanted Landy for Trouba. I've always maintained that is a much more fair deal than Duchene for Trouba.

If the Avs can hold out long enough with Edmonton I really feel Draisaitl is possibility. And honestly I'd pull the trigger on Landy for Trouba.

IMO Trouba>Barrie (just for the sheer fact that Trouba can actually play tolerable defense, and honestly I see no reason why he can't put up at least 35 points in his prime which while less than what Barrie will bring it's not as drastic as it seems) and Draisaitl is at least = to Landeskog with the potential to surpass him. Draisaitl is a very good player and I personally would love to have him here.

While it would hurt me to watch us trade those guys if they could turn into what I've mentioned I'd be very OK down the road with these trades.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I think it's brilliant. How many people come here asking what's said. There's a lot of value in it. If it's not someone aggregating it and who has some standard of making sure it's correct and sourced it's just a bunch of random Joes tweeting and posting stuff on the Internet.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think it's brilliant. How many people come here asking what's said. There's a lot of value in it. If it's not someone aggregating it and who has some standard of making sure it's correct and sourced it's just a bunch of random Joes tweeting and posting stuff on the Internet.

I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying I can see how it angers people doing the legwork. Friedman is upset because it takes clicks and views away from his employer's site and videos, thus making them less money and not being able to pay Friedman and others as much. It is just the crux of old media vs new media in the internet age.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the Avs are taking calls on Barrie but are making calls about Landy

Should be the other way around. They'll never replace what Landy brings to this team physically, and defensively while still being very good offensively.

Losing ROR and Landy's two way games in the top 6 is not a recipe for long term success.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think Landeskog was offered because he best fits what the Ducks are looking for. I don't think he's being shopped. My money is on Barrie and/or Duchene.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Should be the other way around. They'll never replace what Landy brings to this team physically, and defensively while still being very good offensively.

Losing ROR and Landy's two way games in the top 6 is not a recipe for long term success.

I think trading Barrie is only going to occur if they are trading for a defensman from elsewhere. It's second hand information, but I believe a fan on the Oilers boards said Stauffer earlier today said the Avs are sitting on a deal for Barrie (he's pushing Barrie for RNH), and it might or might not happen, any time between now and arbitration. I think the Avs are therefore targeting very specific players with Duchene, and now Landeskog, it would seem. If the calibre of player they are going after are Lindholm types, I am more than fine with them putting Landeskog out there and calling teams to ask about certain defenders. Murray himself said he wanted to add a top left wing, and Landeskog would be a perfect fit in Anaheim. I thus also think that what Sakic has said about not doing much and taking Barrie to arbitration is very true. Unless it all works out, that is exactly what they will do. It's just due diligence.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying I can see how it angers people doing the legwork. Friedman is upset because it takes clicks and views away from his employer's site and videos, thus making them less money and not being able to pay Friedman and others as much. It is just the crux of old media vs new media in the internet age.

Yeah it's an interesting debate. The other side of it is I know who these guys are more because they are constantly referenced and if my team is referenced I'm more likely to go to the source and listen to it directly. Otherwise my exposure to Canadian sports radio is absolutely zero.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Does anyone feel with the issue with management and making deals to re-sign it's own players maybe undesirable? I just can't fathom why every player on this team has to fight to get a contract. Yet other teams seem to really have no issues.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Can someone explain to me why a team would trade a 23 year old winger who plays in all situations, puts up 50 points consistently AND is the captain of your team since 19 years old???

I feel like this is a sick joke someone is playing. He should be top-3 untouchables on this team behind Mack and Duchene.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The thing with the Avs trading a big piece is they don't have to do it now or for quite a while. There's zero pressure to move a guy like Landy. If they keep trying for some great one for one trade then that's fine, it may or may not materialize but we don't need to go there unless it's a home run for us. I can live with that. But none of these rumors sound great and they better not feel pressure to do something just to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad