Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So a local reporter here in Edmonton says both Lucic and Demers have agreed to terms with the Oilers. They're not even supposed to be talking money yet but I don't think anyone believes that doesn't happen. I won't believe it 100% until they actually sign but a lot of reports suggest they're going hard after those two. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

I'd be very hesitant to give Lucic a long-term deal but Demers should be a pretty good addition (if it happens).

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Even Chicago has managed to keep their 1st until the last 2 seasons. They generally end up trading the player they choose away about 50% of the time, but they aren't risking losing out on possible lottery picks when they trade. Even a team like Montreal who generally at least makes the playoffs unexpectedly found their way to the bottom this year.

Trading out the prospects is one thing, or even the pick at the deadline, but moving the picks before you have a reasonable idea where it will be is another.

e: Toronto meet Kessel

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think we are one final nail away. And the comment I was responding to was calling first round picks overrated. Would it be nice to get a player like Jones and all it took was picks, yes. But this compulsion to throw several of the few decent assets we have together into one player isn't a great idea either. This team isn't in the right place for that. But don't let me bother fantasy land, which is where the offer sheets live anyway.

Your tone is so condescending though

I'm in the middle when it comes to picks, which is I think the right place to be IMO. No you do not want to trade out of the first two rounds ever if you can help it, but the end game is always the NHL roster.

I do also personally disagree that we are one final piece away. That piece is a legit #1/#2 defender IMO. We have the goaltending, and we should have the major pieces at forward in place.

Maybe next year we wouldn't be a Conference final contender, but add in what we already have on the way, what he have locked up, and development, we are 1-2 years away if we added a young #1.

We're screwed either way if MacK does not succeed as a #1 center regardless. So IMO if the situation calls for rebuilding the forward group, 1st round picks and high end prospects wouldn't be difficult to come by. You'd also still have a young defensive core to continue to base your rebuild on as well.

Like I said, it's a unique situation IMO

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So a local reporter here in Edmonton says both Lucic and Demers have agreed to terms with the Oilers. They're not even supposed to be talking money yet but I don't think anyone believes that doesn't happen. I won't believe it 100% until they actually sign but a lot of reports suggest they're going hard after those two. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

I'd be very hesitant to give Lucic a long-term deal but Demers should be a pretty good addition (if it happens).
Can Lucic talk money since LA gave him permission to shop around early?

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Why the hell are GM's still considering offer sheets? Haven't they realized it effs everything up for everyone but the players salaries?

Place yourself in a GM's mindset.
If it's a major hole in your line up and you feel as if you will be picking lower in the first round then why not? 4 low firsts and uncertainty for 1 sure thing that could help you make a cup run. It's no different than trading multiple prospects for a guy, it just comes at the cost of future assets instead of current ones.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
It would be beyond stupid for a team to hand out an offersheet and cost themselves 4 firsts and they gotta pay that dude nearly 8 mil..in a cap era?! good luck with that.
There's maybe like 5 players you would sacrifice that much on

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It would be beyond stupid for a team to hand out an offersheet and cost themselves 4 firsts and they gotta pay that dude nearly 8 mil..in a cap era?! good luck with that.

We were in a cap era when GM's actually got into a bidding war over David Clarkson who in 6 NHL years had topped 30 points twice and scored more than 17 goals once in a season.

NHL GM's are some of the most ******** mother****ers in professional sports.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

There are certainly more than 5 players I would do that for. But point taken.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I just proved above that cap wouldn't be an issue. You're welcome to prove to me how losing Barrie and gaining Jones/Lindholm @ 8M would handicap us with 10M coming off the books next year, and our entire core locked up for three years or more.

Talking about throwing out offer-sheets is blowing smoke, but it's much the same to scream that cap space would be the issue in this case.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
We were in a cap era when GM's actually got into a bidding war over David Clarkson who in 6 NHL years had topped 30 points twice and scored more than 17 goals once in a season.

NHL GM's are some of the most ******** mother****ers in professional sports.

Yeah but thats just money. This is money and your damn future.
In this were the mid 90s ...who cares. ,
but now you need these kids on cheap @$$ ELC like quick

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I suppose if you were EDM or CLB and you already had a stable of younglings on the horizon then you could take the chance and do an OS on a player that would complete your lineup

But if your BOS...umm you lost Lucic, You lost Smith, You lost Sequin, and your gonna lose Loui

you might wanna rethink handing those picks away for just one Jacob Trouba

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I "kind of, sort of....... do...ish" think that maybe next year, maybe the Avs can possible be better positioned for a big OS. They will be tossing out 9 million in dead salary, Rantanen, Compher, Bigras, and Zadorov may all be established by then, and hopefully they will have the two big extensions all taken care of. Maybe they can justify something big around then. Especially since there is a high probability the cap is stagnant again, if not dropping.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I just proved above that cap wouldn't be an issue. You're welcome to prove to me how losing Barrie and gaining Jones/Lindholm @ 8M would handicap us with 10M coming off the books next year, and our entire core locked up for three years or more.

I don't know if you have proved more than it works for next year and likely 17-18, and I see your logic but I see potential cap issues rearing their head again as early as 2018-19

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know if you have proved more than it works for next year and likely 17-18, and I see your logic but I see potential cap issues rearing their head again as early as 2018-19

We wouldn't even be a cap team in 17-18, and the cap would likely rise another 2-3M at least.

You have Zadorov as the biggest contract issue next year, and 10M coming off, Bigras after that. Soderberg as your #3 center.

It's hard to argue out that far, but with everyone on good contracts except one guy you got on an offer-sheet, I think we'd be fine filling in the depth.

I'm just arguing it being feasible, not that I think it's likely.

What I can say is, the core players would all be locked up for three years or more, and most of them five to seven years.

You'd have likely 12M to fill in a 4th line center, and a 4th line RW spot. (Iginla & Mitchell & Stuarts contract coming off the books)

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
This is a bit of a unique situation though, where we have a very young core in place and on long term contracts.

You can't just scream 'You can't trade 1st round picks constantly!', and defeat the idea of putting the final nail in a rebuild when you have your major pieces in place for more than four years, and a piece that will likely recover at least half if not more of the loss if you play it smart.

Obviously it's not happening, but if they believed one of these guys like Jones, Lindholm, Trouba is a sure fire #1 within a year or two it would be worth it IMO.

Literally every core piece needed would be locked up for more than four years. The only exception would be Duchene, and he'd be a secondary core piece, and hes signed for three more years.

Two firsts, and cap space you have available to complete your rebuild... Yeah I think you'd have to consider that if it was viable, and IMO it is except for the dynamic of the league when it comes to offer-sheets in general.

This isn't one of those things that you can dismiss simply because you don't like your team trading picks. It's far more complicated than that.

First rounder next year with the way the roster is shaping up could very likely be a top 5 picks.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I shouldn't even get into it because I know we all know it's not really going to happen. But it's not 8M that's going to get Columbus to walk away. They are considering paying 7M as it is, it's more like 9-10M. For an offer sheet to work it has to be in ****ing insanity territory on the contract. And I guess we are already assuming Barrie and MacKinnon get locked up in the next week before we do this but the fear of retaliation is great. Teams don't forget. Zadorov will be targeted, so will Bigras and so will Rantanen and so on.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I shouldn't even get into it because I know we all know it's not really going to happen. But it's not 8M that's going to get Columbus to walk away. They are considering paying 7M as it is, it's more like 9-10M. For an offer sheet to work it has to be in ****ing insanity territory on the contract. And I guess we are already assuming Barrie and MacKinnon get locked up in the next week before we do this but the fear of retaliation is great. Teams don't forget. Zadorov will be targeted, so will Bigras and so will Rantanen and so on.

Columbus is in cap hell, they couldn't give decent offersheets without screwing themselves over as well for the next 3 years.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
With 18 contracts coming off the books (including Holden and Stuart), I'm interested in seeing how they fill out their depth both in the NHL and especially the AHL.

We only brought in what, 3-4 ELCs for San Antonio? Lindholm, Boikov, Nantel and I might be missing one.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
With 18 contracts coming off the books (including Holden and Stuart), I'm interested in seeing how they fill out their depth both in the NHL and especially the AHL.

We only brought in what, 3-4 ELCs for San Antonio? Lindholm, Boikov, Nantel and I might be missing one.

Compher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1