Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Since his trade to Columbus Jones has taken some big steps. I think the only way to get him would be through an offersheet, the avs were seriously looking at 9 million dollar Subban apparently, why not look at a 7.5-8.0 million Jones at the cost of 4 first rounders?

Have Jones and trade Barrie, increase cap by about 1-2 million from Barrie, and then get some young cheap or draft pick assets. It's too bad the avs couldn't get their 3rd back.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
7.5-8.0 isn't even in the four firsts range. Four firsts compensation starts at somewhere above 9 million.

The discussion was that AAV over 7 years (which becomes 4 1sts compensation)

It doesn't make sense to me though because CBJ would match that with such long term. Avs would need to try just to take advantage of the immediate cap problems of the Jackets. (less term but higher AAV front loaded to keep future QO down as much as possible). Then it has to make sense for Seth Jones on top of it.

Feaster offered ROR the perfect offersheet for ROR (he could maximize his money) but it wasn't enough to cause the Avs not to match (Compensation too low and didn't cause an immediate salary or cap bind for the Avs).

Avs need to get back their 3rd if they want to make a good offersheet anyway. 4 1sts is too much to give up and Avs can't offer anything else without getting that 3rd rounder back.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Why the hell are GM's still considering offer sheets? Haven't they realized it effs everything up for everyone but the players salaries?

Listen to me...NHL... General...Managers...

CalderKing21 is right. There are just too many BAD NHL General Managers around for offer sheets NOT to become an issue.

Think about it:
- In my estimation, at least 25% of the people who post here regularly KNOW that you're not allowed to talk to the media about acquiring players under contract with other teams. (I'm being generous, it's more than that) How in the world does Jim Benning make that kind of mistake? Because he shouldn't be an NHL General Manager.

- Cam Neely and Don Sweeney have had FIVE first round picks in the last 2 years and only TWO of them were actually good picks and THREE of them were total reaches, players they could have gotten later on in the draft. Did they trade down? No. They reached on Fredrick, Senyshyn and DeBrushk. No wonder they don't care about giving up FOUR 1st round picks...they make bad calls on them even when they have a ton!! BAD MANAGEMENT!

That's why the Avs need to be careful here. Just lock up MacKinnon...he's too important to the future of this team to let some nutbar sign him to a monster deal that will either set us back if we take the compensation or force us to overpay if we match. I get that Mack's agent is probably content to sit back and see how things unfold but Nate should have been locked up a while ago. Get it done, Joe!!!!

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
how valuable are 1st round picks in a trade? would it not be more reasonable to offer several 1st round picks and a roster player to attain an elite defenseman that it would be to offer sheet them?

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Here in Toronto there have been some talks on a radio show (bob mccowen on sportsnet), don't have a link to it though, that the leafs will also offer Stamkos 3.5 million per year as a marketing contract on top of his player salary. This would not count against the cap.

Is this allowed? If true should the Avs consider this for Mack?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Here in Toronto there have been some talks on a radio show (bob mccowen on sportsnet), don't have a link to it though, that the leafs will also offer Stamkos 3.5 million per year as a marketing contract on top of his player salary. This would not count against the cap.

Likely gets nixed as circumvention unless they can hide it well enough.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I'm sure there's a lot of under the table agreements. Let's just say the hockey market in Denver is just a wee different than it is in Toronto.

Of course Colorado is different. It is an interesting way to circumvent the cap though. Assuming Stamkos is making 8 mil aav that would be 11.5 mil. You could theoretically give Mack 4 mil per year in cap and 3 in marketing to give him 7 (what you would anyway) but open up some cap space to bring in another player. You would of course be paying an extra 3 mil per year in actual money, but it gives you a lot of flexibility

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Likely gets nixed as circumvention unless they can hide it well enough.

Found a link on Reddit to it (don't know if I can post that here). The podcast is linked in it. McCowen says it has been vetted by both the league and the players association and that it is deemed acceptable.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
As someone who appreciates fairness in the salary cap era.... it would really grind my gears if Stamkos signs for 11.5 million, but only 3.5 of it counts against the cap.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Found a link on Reddit to it (don't know if I can post that here). The podcast is linked in it. McCowen says it has been vetted by both the league and the players association and that it is deemed acceptable.

I could see it if they came with businesses (restaurants, clothiers, etc) lined up with guarantees of marketing deals, but I can't imagine the owning company of the team offering the deal outright and it not be considered circumvention.

If it is true that the league has accepted that, that will not go over well with the mid and small market teams I'd think. I can see why the NHLPA loves the idea though

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Thats a 100% load of bull ****. Players can only get their salary, signing bonuses, performance bonuses on certain types of contracts, health, pension, per diam, some tickets, and I think the team can throw a holiday party. That is it. Teams can't give any thing of any value to any player other than what is very specifically laid out in the CBA.

Perhaps Stamkos take 500K less to sign in Toronto because he can make more money with endorsements, but he isn't taking 3.5 million a year. That aint happening.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

They 100% can't do that. But I'm sure that segment got a lot of listeners.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Sounds like the Blue Jackets are close to signing Jones. Also sounds like they are willing to retain salary to move salary. A million retained on Hartnell gets me at least a bit interested.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Holy **** Columbus just stole Seth Jones.

6 years, 5.4M AAV.

Go get Mackinnon now, Joe. Like right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Seth Jones signs a six year deals. I don't know why Avs are so reluctant to sign good young players to long term deals. Landeskog is the only one that didn't have to take a bridge deal out Duchene, Barrie, O'Reilly and it's looking like we can add MacKinnon to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA