Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It wouldn't surprise me if Avs sign some AHL veterans (think Benoit) that will act as insurance if many injuries strike. Perhaps even Nate Guenin.

They won't rely on the likes of Geertsen unless there is a handful of injuries to defenders.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
We're gonna sign Bartkowski, Lovejoy or Schlemko, best case scenario. Worst case will be even older scrubs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why the hell are GM's still considering offer sheets? Haven't they realized it effs everything up for everyone but the players salaries?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Damn, crazy rumor Boston is going to try to offersheet Trouba. And they'd have to go all the way to 4 1sts.

I doubt we'll see an offersheet but maybe the threat of one will cause the Jets to trade him, like the Bruins with Hamilton last year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The only defender I'd seriously consider an offersheet for is Jones.

IF that was actually a thing in the NHL, I'd be screaming for the Avs to try it. CBJ has some serious cap issues they haven't been able to do anything about.

Trouba would be my #2, considering even if they did match it would mess up their cap structure, and they are a division rival.

Once we have Jones or Trouba, go ahead and offersheet Barrie, we'll take the compensation IMO.

This would of course be just after I signed MacKinnon.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I doubt we'll see an offersheet but maybe the threat of one will cause the Jets to trade him, like the Bruins with Hamilton last year.

Oh I doubt it too, but it's fun when one of these rumors blows up.

The only defender I'd seriously consider an offersheet for is Jones.

IF that was actually a thing in the NHL, I'd be screaming for the Avs to try it. CBJ has some serious cap issues they haven't been able to do anything about.

Trouba would be my #2, considering even if they did match it would mess up their cap structure, and they are a division rival.

Once we have Jones or Trouba, go ahead and offersheet Barrie, we'll take the compensation IMO.

This would of course be just after I signed MacKinnon.

Lindholm would be another I would consider.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh I doubt it too, but it's fun when one of these rumors blows up.

Lindholm would be another I would consider.

Yeah, I haven't looked at Anaheim's cap structure to see if it would be worth it.

I do get why they don't do it most of the time, but I'd love it if we dropped that bomb on a team thinking they were safe.

I'd easily give up four first round picks to land the final major piece to our roster that we need to content.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Yeah, I haven't looked at Anaheim's cap structure to see if it would be worth it.

I do get why they don't do it most of the time, but I'd love it if we dropped that bomb on a team thinking they were safe.

I'd easily give up four first round picks to land the final major piece to our roster that we need to content.

4 1sts is still so much to give up. You have to 100% convinced you will be a playoff team throughout it, and have a robust enough farm system that can handle a lack of talent for that period, and a GM savvy enough to get 1sts later on if need be. I'm not sure the Avs have any of that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I would give a 50M$/7years contract to get Lindholm, I think he is one of the futur best NHL D-man.

Honestly you'd probably have to go at least 7.5 if not 8M for 7 years on any of those guys to have a chance.

Lindholm & Jones I'd take that risk, Trouba I'd be far more hesitant to give 7-8M.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Honestly you'd probably have to go at least 7.5 if not 8M for 7 years on any of those guys to have a chance.

Lindholm & Jones I'd take that risk, Trouba I'd be far more hesitant to give 7-8M.

It's a moot point anyway. Avs don't have the cap space themselves to make those moves.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
4 1sts is still so much to give up. You have to 100% convinced you will be a playoff team throughout it, and have a robust enough farm system that can handle a lack of talent for that period, and a GM savvy enough to get 1sts later on if need be. I'm not sure the Avs have any of that.

#1 C - Check
#2 C - Check
#1 W - Check

#1 D - Check
#2 D - Check

#1 G - Check

Then add in two more high end forward prospects, and two young LH-D that have high level potential.

I think we'd survive, as most everyone in our core would be locked up for more than those four years except Duchene for three years.

We've done some good stuff with 2nd and 3rd round picks as well with Bigras, O'Reilly, Barrie, Kirk, Meloche.

I'm just saying I'd pay that to put the final piece in place, and in a year that we will (or should) have all of the major core pieces locked up long term.

If it does not work with the core that we've currently built, 1st round picks won't be difficult to re-acquire if we're blowing it up.

It's a moot point anyway. Avs don't have the cap space themselves to make those moves.

We'd have around 11M with the forward filled out (MacK signed around 6M), and Barrie not signed with 5 defenders.

We could easily offer-sheet someone at 8M if we felt it was worth it.

I wouldn't do it unless MacK was signed first, but we have the cap space.

It's a moot point because it's just not done, but I'm a fan, and don't have to give a rats ass what 29 other GMs in the NHL think.

We'll have about 5M for two roster spots after Barrie/MacK, without Barrie signed it would be easy. Then you'd hopefully have Barrie as offer-sheet bait to recoup at least two of those 1st rounders.

Last edited:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Plus if you get Jones, you sell Barrie and couple probably get two firsts or several decent prospects. The importantance of first round picks is overblown in my mind. Will one of those 4th rounders end up Seth Jones caliber? I doubt it.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So Sakic confirmed they are not doing much in free agency, not trading Barrie or Duchene. I guess they'll just do something very minor if that

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Here, just to prove my math works

22 Man roster w/8M offer-sheet and Barrie moved for 2017 1st +

We still have 8.9M coming off of the books next year, and 10.7M with Mitchell gone. Cap in the future wouldn't be an issue, and we'd likely recover at least the equivalent of two 1st round picks by moving Barrie.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: M. Duchene ($6,000,000) - M. Rantanen ($894,167) - B. Comeau ($2,400,000) - J. Iginla ($5,333,333) - A. Martinsen ($640,000)
Centre: N. MacKinnon ($6,000,000) - C. Soderberg ($4,750,000) - J. Compher ($925,000) - J. Mitchell ($1,800,000)
Leftwing: M. Grigorenko ($1,000,000) - G. Landeskog ($5,571,429) - S. Matthias ($2,000,000) - C. McLeod ($1,333,333)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: E. Johnson ($6,000,000) - F. Beauchemin ($4,500,000) - B. Lovejoy ($1,800,000)
Left: H. Lindholm ($8,000,000) - N. Zadorov ($894,167) - C. Bigras ($843,333) - E. Gelinas ($1,575,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
S. Varlamov ($5,900,000) - C. Pickard ($1,000,000)

BUYOUTS
B. Stuart ($3,600,000) (Counts against the cap)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
NHL Salary Cap: $73,000,000
Cap Hit: $72,759,762
Cap Space: $240,238

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Plus if you get Jones, you sell Barrie and couple probably get two firsts or several decent prospects. The importantance of first round picks is overblown in my mind. Will one of those 4th rounders end up Seth Jones caliber? I doubt it.

It's the foundation of an organization is first round picks. You'll see what happens to those teams who have been handing them out like candy soon enough.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The Rangers sure are in a fun place. Let's get rid of all of our first rounders, like them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's the foundation of an organization is first round picks. You'll see what happens to those teams who have been handing them out like candy soon enough.

This is a bit of a unique situation though, where we have a very young core in place and on long term contracts.

You can't just scream 'You can't trade 1st round picks constantly!', and defeat the idea of putting the final nail in a rebuild when you have your major pieces in place for more than four years, and a piece that will likely recover at least half if not more of the loss if you play it smart.

Obviously it's not happening, but if they believed one of these guys like Jones, Lindholm, Trouba is a sure fire #1 within a year or two it would be worth it IMO.

Literally every core piece needed would be locked up for more than four years. The only exception would be Duchene, and he'd be a secondary core piece, and hes signed for three more years.

Two firsts, and cap space you have available to complete your rebuild... Yeah I think you'd have to consider that if it was viable, and IMO it is except for the dynamic of the league when it comes to offer-sheets in general.

This isn't one of those things that you can dismiss simply because you don't like your team trading picks. It's far more complicated than that.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Jones is the only one primed for an offersheet, and Jarmo knows it. He's putting on a strong stance about it, but he knows he needs to find a way to get the space to ensure Jones is locked up.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think we are one final nail away. And the comment I was responding to was calling first round picks overrated. Would it be nice to get a player like Jones and all it took was picks, yes. But this compulsion to throw several of the few decent assets we have together into one player isn't a great idea either. This team isn't in the right place for that. But don't let me bother fantasy land, which is where the offer sheets live anyway. Jones ain't there yet as a player either where everyone assumes he'll be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille