Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Is NHL Numbers wrong? According to it, with 21 players on the roster, Avs cap number currently sits at $72.174M, which only leaves $826K in cap room. That doesn't include Grimaldi or Bigras, and they have Rantanen's cap hit at $1.627M. Where is this $2.4M cap room coming from?

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/COL?year=2017

I don't like NHL Numbers. Cap Friendly is the most pleasing to the eye. General Fanager works too but I prefer CF. I don't like counting the full bonus because that assumes the player has a top 10 in the league type year to get the schedule B bonuses and it can be carried over to the next year. If it happens then we deal with it next year and we have the room to deal with it too.

We have about 1.5M left, so not having Bigras up there (swapping Grimaldi with Mikko is pretty much a wash) does it.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
A little surprised to see Tanguay hasn't signed somewhere yet. Would be hilarious (but also awful for us) if he ended up back here somehow lol.

I'd really like to add Pirri. I wonder what is taking so long. The closer to training camp it gets, the more likely it is that the has to accept a PTO from a team instead of a guaranteed contract.

Yeah I was thinking that too. Whats he waiting for? Cant imagine he hasnt had some serious offers.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
UFA's left sorted by points:
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2017/points/all/all/ufa

Given ages and declining ability...Pirri definitely still stands out as a guy who can be had cheap and can add an infusion of offense. I'll plug Justin Fontaine a bit as well, he's got a bit of offensive ability and scored 31 points in 71 games two years ago. Not a proper top 6 guy by any means but depth who can shotgun higher up in emergencies. Korpikoski could add some lower line depth.

Don't think another dman is in the cards, already 8 guys in the mix. I'd rather add some depth scoring up front.

I don't like the idea of having both Bigras and Zodorov on the roster. Make them compete in training camp, whoever wins, gets to play with Barrie, other gets sent down to play top pairing minutes in SA. There's no room for both of Bigras and Zodorov in the top 4, so better for one of them to play in SA than 3rd pairing/press box. So that leaves 7 dman. Not to mention, the only right handed dman in the Avs system are EJ, Barrie and Clark. Little thin on that side. The dream would be to get Gryba and Vesey (put him on the top line with Mack and Duchene, and Grigs slides into 3C between Colborne and Comeau).

Last edited:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I don't like the idea of having both Bigras and Zodorov on the roster. Make them compete in training camp, whoever wins, gets to play with Barrie, other gets sent down to play top pairing minutes in SA. There's no room for both of Bigras and Zodorov in the top 4, so better for one of them to play in SA than 3rd pairing/press box. So that leaves 7 dman. Not to mention, the only right handed dman in the Avs system are EJ, Barrie and Clark. Little thin on that side. The dream would be to get Gryba and Vesey (put him on the top line with Mack and Duchene, and Grigs slides into 3C between Colborne and Comeau).

Funny thing is, we were actually quite success for the patch both were playing, and before Zadorov got sent back down to San Antanio.

I made a comment on twitter that I was disappointed he was being sent back down, and his sister or wife with the same surname liked the tweet.

Dear lord - what a hottie !

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
We could always sign one of those youngish scrub tweeners like Ronalds Kenins or Gabriel Bourque... I wonder how Colorado's own Drew Shore liked San Antonio. He was even teammates with Wiercioch for a season in DU. The connection is too obvious. :dunno:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We could always sign one of those youngish scrub tweeners like Ronalds Kenins or Gabriel Bourque... I wonder how Colorado's own Drew Shore liked San Antonio. He was even teammates with Wiercioch for a season in DU. The connection is too obvious. :dunno:

I don't know what it is about Ronalds Kenins, but every time I saw him play in Vancouver I loved what I saw. The kid has some great speed and goes out there hitting everything in sight. Would not be bad to bring in on a PTO to challenge some of the 4th liners to step their game up.

I personally am a fan of bringing in a lot of players on PTO's if they're willing to accept them because it creates more competition. Good for the youth, too, because it lets them see how difficult a spot to earn is. And who knows, every now and then you may find a diamond in the rough who can help your team somehow.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Good shout on Drew Shore. Wouldn't mind him. 6'3" local kid, has four scattered seasons of NHL experience, can play center or wing, take faceoffs and PK, bit of jam to his game. Wouldn't be a bad PTO.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
For the first time in who knows how long we have a core signed for a period of time. I wish O'reilly was still apart of it but oh well. I like the Barrie signing.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
For the first time in who knows how long we have a core signed for a period of time. I wish O'reilly was still apart of it but oh well. I like the Barrie signing.

ROR begat Grig, Zad, Compher and Greer, while also allowing us to regain our 2016 2nd from the Sharks and allowed us to take Cam Morrison.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This season was always going to be about sweating out bad contracts. If the core manages so perform as they can, perhaps they'll make the playoffs but it's more important to keep developing and get better at all levels in the organization. It's easy to get impatient but I don't think the window is going to open until the season after this.

But if Varlamov, Landeskog and MacKinnon can consistently play at a higher level, which is reasonable, it might be a good season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This season was always going to be about sweating out bad contracts. If the core manages so perform as they can, perhaps they'll make the playoffs but it's more important to keep developing and get better at all levels in the organization. It's easy to get impatient but I don't think the window is going to open until the season after this.

But if Varlamov, Landeskog and MacKinnon can consistently play at a higher level, which is reasonable, it might be a good season.

I think playoffs or not ride on three factors mostly, and it's just basically looking at which players could improve on what we had last year.

#3 Grigorenko or Rantanen have to play at a top 6 level.

#2 Zadorov, Bigras, or Tyutin have to play at a top four level replacing Holden.

#1 Pickard and/or Varlamov have to play at a high level, and give us more consistent goal-tending.

That is just as far as players go, so another one would probably be Roy's coaching adjustments.

MacK does not really have to take a step forward for us to just simply make the playoffs IMO.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I think playoffs or not ride on three factors mostly, and it's just basically looking at which players could improve on what we had last year.

#2 Zadorov, Bigras, or Tyutin have to play at a top four level replacing Holden.

#1 Pickard and/or Varlamov have to play at a high level, and give us more consistent goal-tending.

That is just as far as players go, so another one would probably be Roy's coaching adjustments.

MacK does not really have to take a step forward for us to just simply make the playoffs IMO.

Having Grigorenko or Rantanen play at a high level would be great, and replacing Holden shouldn't be that difficult, however the Avs are only going as far as Varlamov, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Johnson, and Barrie take them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Have to no, but that would be one of most significant improvements if he did.

Of course, but I'm not resting the season on MacK becoming a 70-80 point player.

Having Grigorenko or Rantanen play at a high level would be great, and replacing Holden shouldn't be that difficult, however the Avs are only going as far as Varlamov, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Johnson, and Barrie take them.

I'm just saying those things are what's needed to make enough of an improvement on last year that it might push us over the top of actually making it as a 6/7/8 seed rather than the 9/10/11 just outside of the playoffs.

Tanguay was horrible all year and played an important role, and Holden was stuck in a top four role. Then add in Varly being inconsistent, and Roy's/Ferrish's defensive system/breakout.

All of those things are very reasonable to expect, especially since Grigorenko earned a spot in the top six later last season. Unless he regresses he should be able to provide us with a positive contribution instead of hurting his line like Tanguay did most nights.

People are saying that this team is worse than last year, but that's false as a fact IMO. We don't need amazing things to happen just to make the playoffs. We need a continuation of some things some of the younger players did later last year, and our goal-tending to be solid for the majority of the season.

Everything above that should push us further into being competitive than simply making the post season.

Yeah our top six does not look great without a Boedker type player, but we have three guys who have a chance of stepping up and being that player in Colborne, Mikko, and Greg. So I think people are looking at the loss of Boedker after the deadline and saying we're a worse team. Well the deadline guys didn't take this team to another level, and we were in a playoff spot at the trade deadline with the previous group. So I think upgrading on the group that played most of the season is what people should be looking at instead of the last 20 or so games.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
In my opinion, everything rides on Zadorov/the defense and to a lesser extent the depth to hold its own. I think Duchene and MacKinnon are already good enough. The key is to get them 55%+ o zone starts like Seguin, Tavares, Crosby, and every other scoring forward that puts up around ppg. We need the defense to push the play and depth that we aren't afraid to play in the defensive zone. Once we start giving our good forwards decent o zone time, we'll turn the corner.

Easier said than done and also kind of duh-worthy. But Zadorov *could* play a big part in that as soon as this season. This forward core with even an average defense behind it could be really good.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I think the three players that need to improve significantly are MacKinnon, Varlamov, and Johnson. Those latter two especially were disappointing last season.

Zadorov developing or Tyutin having some gas left in the tank will not make up for a mediocre EJ.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think quite a few things need to go right on the back end this season if they want to sniff the playoffs.

1) EJ needs to have a big year, and he can't get injured extensively. After he returns from injury, he also can't play like hot garbage as he has in the past.

2) Beauchemin can't decline too much. It will be interesting to see how he starts, because last year he started out well, then just declined throughout the year due to being overplayed. Hopefully he's playing at a high level again to start the year, and hopefully his minutes are better managed.

3) Zadorov, or one other defensmen, needs to step up in a massive way and handle big minutes. Beauchemin can't handle top pairing minutes against top competition all year. We saw it last season, and it will only get worse. Ideally by the end of the year Zadorov, Bigras if he's up, or whoever can play alongside EJ.

Basically...everything on defense has to go really fortunately.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Something about this Vermette buyout smells funny. It doesn't make financial sense and it's not like they'll find a much better player to replace him. Smells like some off ice issue of some kind.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Something about this Vermette buyout smells funny. It doesn't make financial sense and it's not like they'll find a much better player to replace him. Smells like some off ice issue of some kind.

Actually they do have a better player...or at least one who promises to be more dynamic offensively: Dylan Strome. They have a bit of a logjam at center so this isn't a terribly shocking move. This doesn't strike me as another Ribeiro situation, and it's clear the new ownership (especially the guy who pushed to get Maloney canned) doesn't care too much about pinching pennies.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Seeing a lot of people thinking the Avs should give Vermette a shot - but does he/has he played wing before? If not where on earth does he slot in between: Duchene, MacK, Mitchell, Rantanen, Soderberg, Colborne, Grigs, and possibly Compher who are all ostensibly centers? Obviously we've seen Rantanen and Grigs playing wing more regularly and everyone always says you can't have too many centers, but at some point if you don't have room for some natural wingers it can't be the greatest thing in the world.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Seeing a lot of people thinking the Avs should give Vermette a shot - but does he/has he played wing before? If not where on earth does he slot in between: Duchene, MacK, Mitchell, Rantanen, Soderberg, Colborne, Grigs, and possibly Compher who are all ostensibly centers? Obviously we've seen Rantanen and Grigs playing wing more regularly and everyone always says you can't have too many centers, but at some point if you don't have room for some natural wingers it can't be the greatest thing in the world.

Good point!

Please place all logic in the file below

trashcan+2.jpg

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Rantanen isn't a centre, Grigs will likely be on the wing, Colborne is not good at centre according to Flames fans, Compher might not make the team and also plays wing. The idea would be MacKinnon/Soderberg/Vermette/Mitchell down the centre, allowing Duchene to boost the pathetic high end winger depth. If you put Duchene back at centre, then Vermette slides to 4th line centre / Mitchell or Vermette to wing. Centre's generally have no issues on the wing. I think Team Canada is taking 11 for the World Cup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad