Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
It's impossible to put on 20 pounds of muscle in just the off-season...you couldn't even do that in a year.

Yes it is. I went from 130lbs to 165lbs in 13 weeks the spring I spent on an little island in South Carolina. I was 18yo at the time, and stand 5'8" and used to be rather lean....soccer and wrestling in school as a kid. I guarantee every ounce I packed on was muscle. My sister said I came off the plane looking like a short Arnold Schwarzenegger (she is given to some exaggeration obviously).

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Im not sure if i should be excited or concerned about this apparent addition of muscle. if its true (which i doubt) its going to affect his overall game having all this extra weight , muscle or not. So he's gotta get used to his new body and however long thats gonna take.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
@d2m, I didn't realize that's what you were getting at, but it is a good point, and one I was heading towards with the mackinnon example. He seemed to struggle to use his added strength

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
@d2m, I didn't realize that's what you were getting at, but it is a good point, and one I was heading towards with the mackinnon example. He seemed to struggle to use his added strength

Mack didn't lose speed, stamina or explosiveness, which is what adding weight in a bad way would do. I'd not say that adding weight affected his play negatively.

Mack's problems started that summer when he lost Stastny. He hasn't "clicked" with anyone else since.

Last edited:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Mack didn't lose speed, stamina or explosiveness, which is what adding weight in a bad way would do. I'd not say that adding weight affected his play negatively.

Mack's problems started that summer when he lost Stastny. He hasn't "clicked" with anyone else since.

Stastny always made his line-mates around him better, even though at times he was lumped with some pretty ordinary players (Lindstrom, Kobasew, Tucker etc).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Im not sure if i should be excited or concerned about this apparent addition of muscle. if its true (which i doubt) its going to affect his overall game having all this extra weight , muscle or not. So he's gotta get used to his new body and however long thats gonna take.

I think that is a fair question, but guys like Greg and Zadorov are/were still a little lanky for their height IMO.

Mikko also needs to fill out a bit I think

EJ is listed at 232lbs and 6'4", so I don't know about 20lbs but Z is 6'5" and I kind of figured he'd be around EJ's size personally.

Mikko is listed at 6'4" 211lbs

You get my drift, all three probably needed to add 10lbs or so just maturing.

Edit : This list is further proof that Roy is a size queen lol

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think this is going to be a tough year... likely no playoffs and many disappointing nights... but is anybody else licking their chops at next summer?

We're going to have a roster with a lot of young players. Even if a guy like Compher doesn't breakthrough this season, they will be hammering down the door a year from now along with Jost and others.

As it stand now, we have over $12.5m coming off the books in UFA salary alone. Over another $5m in RFA salary. Out of all of these players, I really only care about Grigs and Zads.

UFAs
Jarome Iginla - $5,333,333
Brad Stuart - $3,600,000
Fedor Tyutin - $2,000,000
John Mitchell - $1,800,000
-----------------------------------
TOTAL: $12,733,333

RFAs
Eric Gelinas - $1,575,000
Mikhail Grigorenko - $1,300,000
Rocco Grimaldi - $925,000
Nikita Zadorov - $894,166
Patrick Wiercioch - $800,000
-----------------------------------
TOTAL: $5,494,166

Fingers crossed and Tyson gets a long-term contract at around $6m AAV, we are stil looking at $18 million or so in cap space with no core players to negotiate extensions on for another couple of years(Rantanen). Hey, maybe Varmalov goes in the expansion draft, or we trade him, and we're then looking at like $23 million in cap space.

I've said it for about a year and a half that the summer of 2017 will be make or break time. We have put ourselves in a good financial situation to put together a very strong team next summer, forming a roster balanced with young players and youngish veterans(Dutchy/Landy/etc.). Who's to say we don't back up the brinks truck to a guy like Brent Burns next summer? Unlikely, sure, but we'll be in a fantastic situation to not only keep our players, but add at least 2 legitimate, top-end talents.

The light might just be there at the end of the tunnel. We just need to remain patient and optimistic.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Thats awesome we have some space. Def. could see a couple big signings next year. Hopefully we can add some guys under 30 for once.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We probably sign Kulikov and a middle 6 winger. Hopefully somebody like Oshie, but that is likely expecting too much. I think Kulikov happens though.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
If they can actually commit to giving the kiddies serious pt and let them find their roles on the team it will give them a great idea of what they have and where they slot in so they can at least have a better idea of what to do in FA.
I just dont think they are going to do that though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We probably sign Kulikov and a middle 6 winger. Hopefully somebody like Oshie, but that is likely expecting too much. I think Kulikov happens though.

I was thinking about kulikov the other day. May as well sign all the guys in FA that we would have traded for.

The Zadorov contract will likely be our talking point next summer. Grigo too I guess.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was thinking about kulikov the other day. May as well sign all the guys in FA that we would have traded for.

The Zadorov contract will likely be our talking point next summer. Grigo too I guess.

Both of those should be fairly easy though... either Grigo does well and has earned a big raise, or he is let go. Zadorov will have a full year under him and the Avs probably bridge (I'd try to lock up long-term).

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
but I thought Kulikov was an over rated #4?

The FA market is ugly next summer, and there is a team coming in to help dilute the pot further.

I'm hoping the Avs will pounce on a couple savvy trades (looking at you Tampa, LA, Wash). Use their cap space to their benefit while paying a bit less than normally expected.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'd say the majority of the discussions were pretty critical and dismissive of him post the McGinn+days

Ya, I think this is another situation where "We overrate him way too much on this board" has become a more frequent thing to say than anything about actually acquiring him or liking his game.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ya, I think this is another situation where "We overrate him way too much on this board" has become a more frequent thing to say than anything about actually acquiring him or liking his game.

Possibly, but keep in mind that some of us suffered in silence for way too long with the Kulikov and Radulov unjustified hype and love fest around here...so these are just the scars and wounds talking.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kuli is a solid middle pairing defender. Nothing more, nothing less. IMO if the Avs have a chance to snag him, they will. I don't think they'd go about $5m to snag him, but a 26 year year old 3/4 defender is going to be an attractive piece. More so since it is known the organization really like him.

He wouldn't be my top target, but outside of Alzner and Burns, he might be the next best option.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So I'm watching 10/10 Stars-Avs. All around a fun game to watch. It's a good reminder of why I don't hate Mitchell on the 4th line. He's pretty good there. I don't mind keeping him around unless there's some brilliant use of that salary elsewhere.

Also of note, that MacKinnon guy was pretty good early last season.

Also of

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I think this is going to be a tough year... likely no playoffs and many disappointing nights...

Who is feeding you with these thoughts, Barrie's agent? To me we are a bubble team and that doesnt mean we are likely out of playoffs. We are a team that has overperrormed one year and then underperformed the next two years though steadily growing along the way. We have a good chance at making the playoffs

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario

He didn't seem as explosive last season imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad