Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I'm just saying those things are what's needed to make enough of an improvement on last year that it might push us over the top of actually making it as a 6/7/8 seed rather than the 9/10/11 just outside of the playoffs.

Tanguay was horrible all year and played an important role, and Holden was stuck in a top four role. Then add in Varly being inconsistent, and Roy's/Ferrish's defensive system/breakout.

All of those things are very reasonable to expect, especially since Grigorenko earned a spot in the top six later last season. Unless he regresses he should be able to provide us with a positive contribution instead of hurting his line like Tanguay did most nights.

People are saying that this team is worse than last year, but that's false as a fact IMO. We don't need amazing things to happen just to make the playoffs. We need a continuation of some things some of the younger players did later last year, and our goal-tending to be solid for the majority of the season.

Everything above that should push us further into being competitive than simply making the post season.

Yeah our top six does not look great without a Boedker type player, but we have three guys who have a chance of stepping up and being that player in Colborne, Mikko, and Greg. So I think people are looking at the loss of Boedker after the deadline and saying we're a worse team. Well the deadline guys didn't take this team to another level, and we were in a playoff spot at the trade deadline with the previous group. So I think upgrading on the group that played most of the season is what people should be looking at instead of the last 20 or so games.
If Varlamov isn't great, they don't make it. If Johnson and/or Barrie have sub-par years they don't make it. If Duchene and/or Landeskog and/or MacKinnon have poor years they don't make it.

The bottom line is that your top players need to be the team's best players and they all need to have good years for the Avs to make the playoffs. If the Avs have to count on Zadarov and/or Rantanen and/or Grigorenko to lead the team to the playoffs it isn't going to happen. They are all secondary players at this point that can and hopefully will contribute but it always comes down to your best players performing at or above expectations.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Vermette has played wing before, I'm fairly certain one of Ottawa's more successful lines way back when was Vermette-Fisher-Havlat.

That said I'm none too keen on bringing him aboard. He's not a major upgrade on anyone currently on the roster.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If Varlamov isn't great, they don't make it. If Johnson and/or Barrie have sub-par years they don't make it. If Duchene and/or Landeskog and/or MacKinnon have poor years they don't make it.

The bottom line is that your top players need to be the team's best players and they all need to have good years for the Avs to make the playoffs. If the Avs have to count on Zadarov and/or Rantanen and/or Grigorenko to lead the team to the playoffs it isn't going to happen. They are all secondary players at this point that can and hopefully will contribute but it always comes down to your best players performing at or above expectations.

I wouldn't count on the secondary guys but they all have the kind of upside if they really put a great season together can make a huge difference.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Of course, but I'm not resting the season on MacK becoming a 70-80 point player.

I'm just saying those things are what's needed to make enough of an improvement on last year that it might push us over the top of actually making it as a 6/7/8 seed rather than the 9/10/11 just outside of the playoffs.

Tanguay was horrible all year and played an important role, and Holden was stuck in a top four role. Then add in Varly being inconsistent, and Roy's/Ferrish's defensive system/breakout.

All of those things are very reasonable to expect, especially since Grigorenko earned a spot in the top six later last season. Unless he regresses he should be able to provide us with a positive contribution instead of hurting his line like Tanguay did most nights.

People are saying that this team is worse than last year, but that's false as a fact IMO. We don't need amazing things to happen just to make the playoffs. We need a continuation of some things some of the younger players did later last year, and our goal-tending to be solid for the majority of the season.

Everything above that should push us further into being competitive than simply making the post season.

Yeah our top six does not look great without a Boedker type player, but we have three guys who have a chance of stepping up and being that player in Colborne, Mikko, and Greg. So I think people are looking at the loss of Boedker after the deadline and saying we're a worse team. Well the deadline guys didn't take this team to another level, and we were in a playoff spot at the trade deadline with the previous group. So I think upgrading on the group that played most of the season is what people should be looking at instead of the last 20 or so games.

I don't mind if Grigorenko, Rantanen, Zadorov and Bigras make occasional mistakes. That is going to happen. Inconsistency is to be expected as part of their development but the organization needs to see if these guys can play in the NHL full-time and at what level (top 6 F, top 4). I believe they can. Inconsistency with the other established players is unacceptable. They need to play 3 full periods each game. No ifs, ands or buts. Landeskog, Barrie, Varlamov and Johnson aren't rookies anymore. Varlamov was inconsistent last season but I'm still willing to give him more of a break than most because the D system was awful.

I suspect the Avs may be in the PO hunt if the kids do well and if they don't, the team will be out of it pretty quickly. To make the POs would be a wildly successful season because it will have meant Grigorenko, Rantanen, Zadorov and Bigras successfully took the next step in their development. But as for the Avs going anywhere in the POs, no, I can't foresee that until the 2017-2018 season at earliest.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Seeing a lot of people thinking the Avs should give Vermette a shot - but does he/has he played wing before? If not where on earth does he slot in between: Duchene, MacK, Mitchell, Rantanen, Soderberg, Colborne, Grigs, and possibly Compher who are all ostensibly centers? Obviously we've seen Rantanen and Grigs playing wing more regularly and everyone always says you can't have too many centers, but at some point if you don't have room for some natural wingers it can't be the greatest thing in the world.

Im sure they would put Duchene at RW where we are very thin and he looked really good. Then go with MacK, Yeti, Vermette, Mitchell down the middle.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Im sure they would put Duchene at RW where we are very thin and he looked really good. Then go with MacK, Yeti, Vermette, Mitchell down the middle.

Yeah, that is what I would do. That would be your third line center that would allow you to stack the top six.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think quite a few things need to go right on the back end this season if they want to sniff the playoffs.

1) EJ needs to have a big year, and he can't get injured extensively. After he returns from injury, he also can't play like hot garbage as he has in the past.

2) Beauchemin can't decline too much. It will be interesting to see how he starts, because last year he started out well, then just declined throughout the year due to being overplayed. Hopefully he's playing at a high level again to start the year, and hopefully his minutes are better managed.

3) Zadorov, or one other defensmen, needs to step up in a massive way and handle big minutes. Beauchemin can't handle top pairing minutes against top competition all year. We saw it last season, and it will only get worse. Ideally by the end of the year Zadorov, Bigras if he's up, or whoever can play alongside EJ.

Basically...everything on defense has to go really fortunately.

There are a number of different opinions on this topic - what has to happen for the Avs to make the playoffs. You've focused on defense, others have focused on the young guys' development (which equates to quality depth, IMO), others focus on the core righting itself. I think they all have merit. And to a certain extent, they all really need to happen for a playoff run.

This is really in Roy's lap now. The pieces are there for Colorado to at least sniff the playoffs, but a lot has to go right.

Having Grigorenko or Rantanen play at a high level would be great, and replacing Holden shouldn't be that difficult, however the Avs are only going as far as Varlamov, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Johnson, and Barrie take them.

This is where I stand also. Those guys need to perform.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
But previously on "As Our World Burns", we were blaming Roy and the coaching.
Let's not forget about that!
Tie them to the whipping post, too!

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I wouldn't count on the secondary guys but they all have the kind of upside if they really put a great season together can make a huge difference.
Of course, many of the secondary guys have good upsides. If they all put it together at the same time it'll help out a ton. However, if the core plays poorly the secondary guys won't be able to carry the team to the playoffs themselves.

The core players need to perform for the Avs to have any chance of making the playoffs. if the secondary players all put it together too then the Avs have a chance to finish higher than an 8th seed like they did a few years ago.

However you slice it the core players need to perform at or above expectations for the Avs to make the playoffs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Of course, many of the secondary guys have good upsides. If they all put it together at the same time it'll help out a ton. However, if the core plays poorly the secondary guys won't be able to carry the team to the playoffs themselves.

The core players need to perform for the Avs to have any chance of making the playoffs. if the secondary players all put it together too then the Avs have a chance to finish higher than an 8th seed like they did a few years ago.

However you slice it the core players need to perform at or above expectations for the Avs to make the playoffs.

I don't think they can afford anyone playing bad. But let's just say for example Rantanen leads the team in points and let's say that's not because the rest completely bottomed out. What effect do we think that would have on the team?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
MacKinnon ($6.3m)
Duchene ($6m)
Landeskog ($5.72m)
Soderberg ($4.75m)
Colborne ($2.5m)
Comeau ($2.4m)
McLeod ($1.34m)
Rantanen ($0.925m)
Compher ($0.925m)
Grigorenko ($??)
Martinsen ($??)

Johnson ($6m)
Barrie ($5.5m)
Beauchemin ($4.5m)
Bigras ($0.845m)
Zadorov ($??)
Gelinas ($??)
Wiercioch ($??)

Varlamov ($5.9m)
Pickard ($1m)

--

That's $54,605,000.

Maybe some guesses for the RFAs:

Zadorov - $2.75m (bridge)
Grigorenko - $2.5m
Gelinas - $1.85m
Wiercioch - $1.25m
Martinsen - $0.825m

That's $8.925m, taking us to $63,530,000.

I'd offer Alzner something like 6x6, and try to bring in a good 4th line center as well. No concerns spending right up to the cap again next summer, since Beauchemin($4.5m), Colborne($2.5m), Comeau($2.4m), and McLeod($1.34m) come off the books at the end of 17-18 as well, freeing up almost another $11m. Rantanen/Compher extensions wouldn't even be due for another year in the summer of 2019.

Depending on the season he has, it might make sense to lock up Zadorov long-term and avoid any bridge nonsense. This will be a huge year for him.

I hate looking too far forward, but it's hard not to get excited thinking about next summer. Possibilities are endless. If Varly and his $5.9m go in expansion, then a top tier D(Alzner/Burns/Kulikov?) and a top tier F(Marchand/Oshie?) are also very doable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Alzner would be, but does anybody expect him to actually leave Washington? They really don't have cap issues and Kutznetsov and Alzner will be their top two priorities.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I hate looking too far forward, but it's hard not to get excited thinking about next summer. Possibilities are endless. If Varly and his $5.9m go in expansion, then a top tier D(Alzner/Burns/Kulikov?) and a top tier F(Marchand/Oshie?) are also very doable.

I look forward to every season, but I'm pumped about next summer, too. We have cap space to improve the team and our guys should/hopefully progress.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Alzner would be, but does anybody expect him to actually leave Washington? They really don't have cap issues and Kutznetsov and Alzner will be their top two priorities.

He would be a great addition, but I think he'll re-sign with Washington.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Tough to see why Alzner would come here, and I don't see Sakic making he or Burns the highest paid player on the team. Which is also what I think will prevent us from getting Oshie or Marchand. They are going to get overpaid if they make UFA because the FWD crop is pretty Blah.

I think Sakic is going to need to use trades to upgrade significantly if he chooses to do so

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Radulov! :D

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Marchand will probably cross $6m, but I doubt Oshie crosses 5.25-5.5m. I could see the Avs paying Oshie.

If things fell right and the team progressed. I could see the Avs picking up both of Oshie and Kulikov.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Marchand will probably cross $6m, but I doubt Oshie crosses 5.25-5.5m. I could see the Avs paying Oshie.

If things fell right and the team progressed. I could see the Avs picking up both of Oshie and Kulikov.

That would be a pretty good offseason. I don't know Oshie's thoughts on where he would want to go but I would like to have him aboard. He would be an interesting fit on the Avs.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I've never been a big Oshie fan, but at the right price I'd be fine with that addition. My thing with Oshie is I feel like there is a lot of hype, but really the guy is probably a 50-55pts player, a little soft, finesse type guy. He reminds me of an older Boedker. And people around here were all over Boedker for his style of game, so I'm not sure why we'd like Oshie any better.

On the other hand I'd go all in for Marchand. He and Duchene looked really good together at the World Championships this season. Marchand is also a 50-55pts player, but he is that type of player that you love him on your team but you hate playing against him. We need more guys like that, that are hard to play against and annoying.

I'd be good with a Kulikov signing. I'd prefer going after Alzner, but I don't think he'll make it UFA. Probably signs an extension before then, but if not I'd make him my #1 priority. Kulikov though would be an OK consolation prize. We could use a younger 2nd pairing guy that is reliable.

Plus there are some under the radar guys I'd look at as well if you can't land a big fish like Del Zotto, Stone, Marcus Foligno (for a bottom 6 roll), Bonino, Stafford (on maybe a cheaper 1-2 year deal).

Last edited:

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
At first glance, who are the big expected RFA's next year? Regardless of if they sign a contract between now and then?

Burnsie, Alzner, Oshie, Kuli, Marchand...any others?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oshie's skating is horrid now, can you imagine how it will be in a couple years? He's a fine player no doubt but does he really "fit" with our team?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like Oshie as a player but he's a physical-but-not-big top line forward who's approaching 30. I think anyone who gives him a long-term deal will regret it. And is that type of player really what the Avs need? They need more speed and skill (I realize that's not necessarily an easy thing to acquire) on the wings, I think they have enough grit and physicality.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can't help but think that strange frenzy of signing marginal players to relatively cheap, short-term deals was Sherman playing the role of "cap manager." They just seemed like Sherman-type moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad