Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I do have favorites, but if trading them means the Avalanche is a better team going forward, I'd trade them without a question.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Without a doubt, yes.

Bingo. I hope for the best possible roster at all times, but the bottom line is that I cheer for whatever 20 skaters are wearing an Avalanche jersey in any given game. Change every name on the back of the sweaters, it still won't change the logo on the front.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Bingo. I hope for the best possible roster at all times, but the bottom line is that I cheer for whatever 20 skaters are wearing an Avalanche jersey in any given game. Change every name on the back of the sweaters, it still won't change the logo on the front.

If you sail across the ocean on a ship, but along the way you replaced every single part that makes up that ship. Is it still the same ship when you arrive?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If you sail across the ocean on a ship, but along the way you replaced every single part that makes up that ship. Is it still the same ship when you arrive?

You're talking to an IT leader. All you did was upgrade the ship, it's still called the same thing, and it still offers the same service to your customer base. Now, tell me what that has to do with a sports team, where the "parts of the ship" are always changing.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Fans get too emotionally attached to the players, which makes it difficult to remain objective.

You cannot get too emotionally attached as it will cause you to make the wrong decisions most of the time.

Most people blur the lines between not wanting to move a player because they love that player vs not wanting to move a player because of the quality of their play.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Most people blur the lines between not wanting to move a player because they love that player vs not wanting to move a player because of the quality of their play.

Or proper expectation of the quality of their future play.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

No but you arrived didn't you? Quit your *****ing and be thankful you didn't get swallowed by the Megalodon.

I'd probably not be quite as excited about the team if it was a bunch of softy skilled guys like Edmonton, but I'd still root for the team.

If peoples loyalties were truly with the players, then you'd stop being a fan when the team decides to rebuild and sells off all of its best players for picks and prospects.

I'm sure there is are lots of people here who were fans well before, and well after Sakic retired.

Where I think dumb **** kills your drive to root for a team is when it's kind of a secondary team or your just not that diehard about it. I know for me I used to love Pittsburgh, but I've hated the way that team has been managed since they last won the Cup. Never was a huge fan of Crosby either. Hes too much of a baby IMO.

Now days I have a much easier time rooting against them because I hold a bit of disdain for them. But I still love my NHL 100 year anniversary Mario jersey. I still get all warm and fuzzy when I see their new jerseys that are a throwback to the old 90s jerseys.

So I guess I've convinced myself that if your not a diehard fan, yeah it's easier to eventually jump ship. For some of us the team is part of who we are, and too many memories to ever let go of completely regardless of what they do.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The point of sports is rooting for something. The people involved are part of that. It's not about being too emotionally attached, it's about the existence of sports fandom. For me it means something for them to represent Colorado so sure anyone doing so would be worth rooting for but it's not just about a collection of mercenaries either. What's the point of winning if it doesn't mean anything? Especially for those who aren't even here to enjoy it locally?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think there needs to be a set rule of why or how you must cheer for a team. I think it should be up to an individual.

I'm an Avalanche fan and I would be if it were full of 18 Tanner Glass clones and Dan Cloutier's step mom as the goaltender. But some people may cheer more for the players and I'm not going to hold that against anyone.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think there needs to be a set rule of why or how you must cheer for a team. I think it should be up to an individual.

I'm an Avalanche fan and I would be if it were full of 18 Tanner Glass clones and Dan Cloutier's step mom as the goaltender. But some people may cheer more for the players and I'm not going to hold that against anyone.

Nah you can't, I'd root for Duchene regardless of where he went. On the other hand I hold a certain amount of resentment for O'Reilly and Stastny.

Certain players are exactly what makes me root for other teams at times.

I just have my doubts about how personally invested in the team someone is who would completely stop rooting for the Avs if they traded their favorite player on the team at the time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So it's really disturbing to me how little some of you value Matt Duchene and how willing some are to just willing to ship him off for mid level packages.

Matt Duchene is easily one of the 20 best centers in the entire league right now. The stats will back me up on this, tied for 20th among all centers, that played a reasonable amount of games not counting guys that played a couple of games, in points per game, 9th best in goal scoring, top 3 faceoff guy in the league. All this while consistently playing approximately 1:30-2:00+ minutes less per game than most of the other top guys, because his coach is a moron who thinks it's a good idea to play John Mitchell 15+ minutes a night. Instead of riding his top guy like most teams do.

I honestly feel like some of our fans are just used to being spoiled since we had Sakic, Forsberg, RoR, Stastny and feel like trading Duchene for a dman would be a good thing and that we could easily replace Duchene, when reality says there is a much better chance that it could take 20+ years to find a center as good as him. Yeah I get MacK could replace him but then who replaces MacK who is equally as good as Duchene if not better?

The fact is most teams would kill for what we have currently in Duchene and MacKinnon. Some teams have never had a center as good as Duchene or MacKinnon. Look at teams like Nashville or Columbus or Arizona etc. Top end center's don't grow on trees.

When I read stuff like Duchene is not even close to as valuable as a player like Justin Faulk. I find that laughable. Justin Faulk is a great player but so is Matt Duchene. Both are top 20 players at their respectable positions. Yeah sure I can live with stuff like Duchene isn't as valuable as OEL or Doughty or Weber. But that's comparing one of the 5 best at a position to a guys that is top 20, that's not reasonable.

I just want people to realize that trading Matt Duchene is a terrible idea unless somebody is willing to drastically overpay. Duchene is an incredibly valuable piece and should be treated as such.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand

I have worked on helicopters that this was true of. Tail number going back to Vietnam, yet not a single part flew in SE Asia combat. Some had frames that went all the way back, but not all. Many many engines that way. I used to keep a log of engine serial numbers I worked on. That model engine had numbers 64xxx to 67xxx. In five years I came across ~75 of the first 100, including 001-017. Not a single one of them had a single original part. But the engine was from 'Nam. Very few engines (or birds) were fully retired until that model of aircraft was replaced. Pretty much only thing that would retire a tail number, or repairable system/part serial number, was a complete loss crash.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
When I read stuff like Duchene is not even close to as valuable as a player like Justin Faulk. I find that laughable. Justin Faulk is a great player but so is Matt Duchene. Both are top 20 players at their respectable positions. Yeah sure I can live with stuff like Duchene isn't as valuable as OEL or Doughty or Weber. But that's comparing one of the 5 best at a position to a guys that is top 20, that's not reasonable.

I just want people to realize that trading Matt Duchene is a terrible idea unless somebody is willing to drastically overpay. Duchene is an incredibly valuable piece and should be treated as such.

Faulk is younger, has an additional year on a deal that is very cap friendly and plays a position that is much harder to find talent.

Faulk should be the more valuable player of the two, but its like they say, all it takes is one GM. Let's pray!

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think I agree with TV's guess from a little while ago about how they're saying nobody is safe to sort of warm everybody up and prepare us for the fact that Tyson Barrie might not get a contract from us and will be on the move because of it.

I think so too. It reminds me of when Roy and Sakic were open and upfront about drafting MacKinnon. They said well ahead of time that they weren't picking Jones with the first pick. I think they are preparing the fans for the reality that a trade is coming.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
So it's really disturbing to me how little some of you value Matt Duchene and how willing some are to just willing to ship him off for mid level packages.

Matt Duchene is easily one of the 20 best centers in the entire league right now. The stats will back me up on this, tied for 20th among all centers, that played a reasonable amount of games not counting guys that played a couple of games, in points per game, 9th best in goal scoring, top 3 faceoff guy in the league. All this while consistently playing approximately 1:30-2:00+ minutes less per game than most of the other top guys, because his coach is a moron who thinks it's a good idea to play John Mitchell 15+ minutes a night. Instead of riding his top guy like most teams do.

I honestly feel like some of our fans are just used to being spoiled since we had Sakic, Forsberg, RoR, Stastny and feel like trading Duchene for a dman would be a good thing and that we could easily replace Duchene, when reality says there is a much better chance that it could take 20+ years to find a center as good as him. Yeah I get MacK could replace him but then who replaces MacK who is equally as good as Duchene if not better?

The fact is most teams would kill for what we have currently in Duchene and MacKinnon. Some teams have never had a center as good as Duchene or MacKinnon. Look at teams like Nashville or Columbus or Arizona etc. Top end center's don't grow on trees.

Don't forget how many times Duchene was able to draw a penalty on his defender and put the Avs on the PP. That has to be taken into account too.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption

You would not last 10 games !!! Thanks for the laugh Kento!!!

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I always cheer for players (Stastny and Drury seem to fit here), and there are players who I didn't cheer for even while they were Avs like May and Morris (yes, I was bitter about that trade).

In the end it is great to have guys who are lifers, but it is becoming more and more rare in these days of salary caps and free agency, but for me it is all about the team before all else.

Side note: As a kid, I switched NFL teams over how a coach was treated and a player traded. the team I quit on became a dynasty and my new team became a dumpster fire over the next 30 years, so perhaps I can't win either way.
:help:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The only Avs players I am truly emotionally invested in are EJ and Varly.
Landeskog would be the next guy in line after those 2.

I hated the Mackinnon pick over Jones so I was never emotionally invested in him. I like Duchene but it's not OMG we can never trade him type of like.

I just want the damn team to win and to change the damn system of giving up so many shots. That's ******** to continue to stress the defense and goalie like that.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I'm a firm believer that Duchene was far and away our best player this year. Led the team in points, goals, and drew countless penalties because of how good he is along the boards protecting the puck. The guy had 30 goals on a team that struggled to get the offense going. Do I need to remind people who our last 30-goal scorer(s) were? Joe Sakic and Milan Hedjuk had 36 and 35, respectively... in 2006-2007!!!

Let's all except the facts, and realize that this team is still re-building. We don't need to be giving up 25-year old 60 point centres just for the sake of change. Regardless of how this season ended, the Avs are still a promising young team. In two consecutive off-seasons they've lost a top-6 centres, let's not lose another.

Keep Duchene, keep Varlamov, keep Landeskog. If I were the Avs, I'd be trading the #10 pick, along with Pickard, maybe a pick to move up and secure their guy. The top 5-8 picks are loaded with talent from what I've seen, and the Avs need to keep moving forward with the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad