Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mikko doesn't use his size much anyway. We already have Landy as a two way winger and possibly Greg if he's moved to the wing. What we're lacking on the wing is skill and creativity. Not that Mikko lacks those things but he just falls short of Drouin in that area.

Don't agree. It's not just about using your size to play physically, it's about not getting muscled off the puck physically, or pushed around defensively, or being strong on the puck with your stick when someone tries to lift it or tie you up, or skating through the hard traffic areas without getting pushed off course. Mikko excels at these things, and he is really good at shielding the puck with his size and long reach.

Grigo is still an X factor. We don't know what he'll become, and to be honest I'm still worried about him shrinking too much, and not competing often enough. He showed signs of this creeping back in the last month.

Landy can't do it all defensively in the top 6 he needs some help. Duchene, Mack, and potentially Rads/Boedker aren't sieves defensively, but they're not that good either, and not on a consistent enough basis. They need someone like Mikko they can rely on for many years to come.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Mikko doesn't use his size much anyway. We already have Landy as a two way winger and possibly Greg if he's moved to the wing. What we're lacking on the wing is skill and creativity. Not that Mikko lacks those things but he just falls short of Drouin in that area.

I think you are severely under-rating Rantanen. I think their creativity is closer than you think, and you throw in the all around game and I think Rantanen is just the overall better player.

Drouin gets a lot of hype because of the name, but the fact is we are talking about a guy that has 8 career goals in 91 games. I get that he hasn't had the best opportunities, but still 8 goals in 91 games is not exactly thrilling numbers. Plus the attitude issue is a little bit worrisome. It's like doesn't expect to have to work hard to earn his spot, and that it should be given to him. He didn't paint a very flattering picture of himself and his character this season.

The thing for me is if Rantanen was a Canadian, people would be drooling all over him and there is no way anyone would consider moving him. I think he gets under-rated due to his Euro status.

We're talking about a guy that just won AHL rookie of the year and arguably could have won AHL MVP as a 19 year old kid playing against adults.

No way in hell do I trade Rantanen for Drouin, that is a lateral at best move, and in my opinion a backwards move.

I'm not saying Drouin is a bad player, or a bad person. He has skills he just has to mature and put it together on a consistent basis at the NHL level. I'm just saying that I'm not willing to part with any high end prospects (Zadorov, Bigras or Rantanen) to get him. I'd consider moving the 10th overall pick if all 3 of the big name d-men are off the board. I'd be willing to part with a B-level prospect like Compher in addition to that pick, more than that would be a tough pill to swallow.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think you are severely under-rating Rantanen. I think their creativity is closer than you think, and you throw in the all around game and I think Rantanen is just the overall better player.

Drouin gets a lot of hype because of the name, but the fact is we are talking about a guy that has 8 career goals in 91 games. I get that he hasn't had the best opportunities, but still 8 goals in 91 games is not exactly thrilling numbers. Plus the attitude issue is a little bit worrisome. It's like doesn't expect to have to work hard to earn his spot, and that it should be given to him. He didn't paint a very flattering picture of himself and his character this season.

The thing for me is if Rantanen was a Canadian, people would be drooling all over him and there is no way anyone would consider moving him. I think he gets under-rated due to his Euro status.

We're talking about a guy that just won AHL rookie of the year and arguably could have won AHL MVP as a 19 year old kid playing against adults.

No way in hell do I trade Rantanen for Drouin, that is a lateral at best move, and in my opinion a backwards move.

I'm not saying Drouin is a bad player, or a bad person. He has skills he just has to mature and put it together on a consistent basis at the NHL level. I'm just saying that I'm not willing to part with any high end prospects (Zadorov, Bigras or Rantanen) to get him. I'd consider moving the 10th overall pick if all 3 of the big name d-men are off the board. I'd be willing to part with a B-level prospect like Compher in addition to that pick, more than that would be a tough pill to swallow.

I think this is where most people are at, it only makes sense for us up to a certain cost point.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Our forwards are terrible defensively. You think having just Landy and Grigorenko at wing is good enough? Grigs is still a bit of a wild card as far as what he'll be. As bad as the Avs are on the blueline, poor defensive forwards is also a problem.

Rantanen having the full 3 years of his ELC left is valuable too. I don't think there's any way the Avs consider moving Rantanen, as he fits exactly what they want with size, skill, and hockey IQ.

Good points. I really don't see Rantanen being traded unless it's for another player who would be auto protected for an expansion draft.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

What Drouin did was not that far off ROR...he has no character issues. Stop looking at the stats sheet and focus on his talent. He'd potentially be the best offensive player the avs have and no question the smartest.

The gap in between Ranta and Drouin could be a 30 point difference.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Our forwards are terrible defensively. You think having just Landy and Grigorenko at wing is good enough? Grigs is still a bit of a wild card as far as what he'll be. As bad as the Avs are on the blueline, poor defensive forwards is also a problem.

Rantanen having the full 3 years of his ELC left is valuable too. I don't think there's any way the Avs consider moving Rantanen, as he fits exactly what they want with size, skill, and hockey IQ.

I'm sure the Avs will try to get him, but I'm not convinced the Lightning will trade Drouin. If he keeps producing, they'll suck up to him and make it work, especially with Stamkos likely on the way out. Cooper was certainly sucking up to him in the post game press conference last night.

I've been rambling on about that for quite some time. As suspect as our group of defesemen are our forwards aren't helping them one bit. They are always leaving them out to dry. Avs biggest problem is that they don't play as a unit of 5.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Stealing a phrase from someone whose opinion I trust on hockey matters, you can never have too many two-way players. It cannot be understated how valuable players who are effective in all three zones are.

Mind you, I think some organizations have become myopic about this, eschewing effective scorers and/or solid defensive forwards, but there's plenty of room on the roster for players like Landeskog AND Rantanen.

Vancouver did it right a few years back. Conventional thinking would have had them look for another scoring center to supplement Kesler and Sedin, but Gillis went out and got a purely defensive center in Malhotra in order to allow Kesler and Sedin more offensive roles, and it worked to perfection.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
What Drouin did was not that far off ROR...he has no character issues. Stop looking at the stats sheet and focus on his talent. He'd potentially be the best offensive player the avs have and no question the smartest.

The gap in between Ranta and Drouin could be a 30 point difference.

Big difference between what RoR did and what Drouin did. RoR wanted to get paid for his production, he didn't want a bridge deal like Duchene after his first three years, and our management was too stubborn to pay up on a long term deal. He held out but that was his right considering he had no contract.

Drouin on the other hand wanted a gift wrapped position on the team without earning it and when he didn't get promoted to the NHL, he pouted, quit and demanded a trade. All this while under contract.

There is quite a big difference between holding out for a better contract based on your play, and quitting while under contract because you didn't get your way.

As for your comment about production, I highly doubt there will be a 30 point gap between Drouin and Rantanen. Rantanen has the ability to be Landeskog type offensive player 50-55pts guy, and in my opinion 60-65pts is not out of the question. You're telling me Drouin is a 85-90 point guy? That puts him top 5 in the league scoring. I'll be stunned if Drouin is that guy he has done nothing to this point to prove that he will be that kind of player.

You're acting like Drouin is on a level with guys like Crosby, McDavid, Benn, Kane etc. and at this point that is very far from reality.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
How about Varlamov for 6th or 7th O/A if the Flames get kicked back a spot or two in the draft?

Sure I'd do that, but I highly doubt the Flames even remotely consider it.

Varly is not going to on his own net a top 8 pick in the draft. If it was Varly+10th for Flames first and a couple good prospects then maybe.

Maybe something like:

Varly
10th overall

Flames 1st round pick
Kylington
Shinkaruk

Even that might be a little overpayment by the Flames.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sure I'd do that, but I highly doubt the Flames even remotely consider it.

Varly is not going to on his own net a top 8 pick in the draft. If it was Varly+10th for Flames first and a couple good prospects then maybe.

Maybe something like:

Varly
10th overall

Flames 1st round pick
Kylington
Shinkaruk

Even that might be a little overpayment by the Flames.

Why? This draft is weaker than some have been, and Varly's value should absolutely be a top 10 pick.

#5 may be a little high, but 6th or 7th is a legit ask IMO. Otherwise move him out of the conference. I'd be happy to let them solve that issue else where if they don't want to do it.

I'm not even sure what the hell I'd ask for from Calgary beyond that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Big difference between what RoR did and what Drouin did. RoR wanted to get paid for his production, he didn't want a bridge deal like Duchene after his first three years, and our management was too stubborn to pay up on a long term deal. He held out but that was his right considering he had no contract.

Drouin on the other hand wanted a gift wrapped position on the team without earning it and when he didn't get promoted to the NHL, he pouted, quit and demanded a trade. All this while under contract.

There is quite a big difference between holding out for a better contract based on your play, and quitting while under contract because you didn't get your way.

As for your comment about production, I highly doubt there will be a 30 point gap between Drouin and Rantanen. Rantanen has the ability to be Landeskog type offensive player 50-55pts guy, and in my opinion 60-65pts is not out of the question. You're telling me Drouin is a 85-90 point guy? That puts him top 5 in the league scoring. I'll be stunned if Drouin is that guy he has done nothing to this point to prove that he will be that kind of player.

You're acting like Drouin is on a level with guys like Crosby, McDavid, Benn, Kane etc. and at this point that is very far from reality.

ROR signed a 2 year contract in the KHL then an offer sheet. Drouin did not want a gift wrapped position, he wanted a fair chance. He saw no future with that in Tampa and demanded a trade, when nothing materialized he left the AHL team. Nothing in that is far off ROR. Hell people even questioned Zads character. It's all about perspective.

I don't doubt Ranta does 60ish point ability. 90 or so points is where exactly I have Drouin at... what has either of them done to prove their capable of that production in the NHL? It's all based on what they did in lesser league and their talent levels.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
ROR signed a 2 year contract in the KHL then an offer sheet. Drouin did not want a gift wrapped position, he wanted a fair chance. He saw no future with that in Tampa and demanded a trade, when nothing materialized he left the AHL team. Nothing in that is far off ROR. Hell people even questioned Zads character. It's all about perspective.

I don't doubt Ranta does 60ish point ability. 90 or so points is where exactly I have Drouin at... what has either of them done to prove their capable of that production in the NHL? It's all based on what they did in lesser league and their talent levels.

Mikko can be Kopitar, Drouin can be Kane. Who do you pick between the two?

I find it amusing how some TBL fans on the trade board are comparing Drouin to Kane lol. Now that the hype machine is rolling people see it I guess.

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
How about Varlamov for 6th or 7th O/A if the Flames get kicked back a spot or two in the draft?

If he's dealt to the Flames I'd expect at least this. If Hench is right about them having significant interest, make them pony up.

You do know that only two players scored 90 or so points this year (Kane and Benn), right? The next closest was Crosby at 85.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mikko can be Kopitar, Drouin can be Kane. Who do you pick between the two?

I find it amusing how some TBL fans on the trade board are comparing Drouin to Kane lol. Now that the hype machine is rolling people see it I guess.

I doubt he can be the offensive producer Kopitar is but it's still Drouin.

If he's dealt to the Flames I'd expect at least this. If Hench is right about them having significant interest, make them pony up.

You do know that only two players scored 90 or so points this year (Kane and Benn), right? The next closest was Crosby at 85.

...and?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Drouin wanted a guaranteed spot on the NHL roster, team didn't feel that was in it's best interest at the time. Drouin then proceed to quit the AHL team while under contract and demand a trade.

RoR had every right to do what he wanted as he was a free agent. Albeit a RFA but still he had no contract with an NHL team. If he wanted to sign in the KHL over signing his offer from the Avs that was his choice. I don't disagree that it was a dick move, but he had no NHL contract at that point so he was well within his rights to listen to offers from any league or team.

The biggest difference between RoR's situation and Drouin's was contract status. Drouin's course of action should have been simple, do what the team tells you even if you disagree with it, wait until the end of the year, tell them in private that you don't see a future here and would like to be traded. If he doesn't get traded then he could do what RoR did and hold out and wait for a RFA offer. It's the team's decision on what to do with a signed player not the player's you do what you are told as they are your boss and employer.

Apparently the Drouin hype train is real right now, 90 points??? Are you kidding? All of 1 player in the entire league this season broke 90pts and you're telling me with a straight face that you think Drouin will break 90pts. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I just don't see him outscoring people like Benn, Kane, Crosby, Seguin, McDavid. 90 pts puts you top 3 players in the league, Drouin has done nothing to this point that shows he's remotely capable of being a top 3-5 player in the league. He has skills, but let's see if the kid can hit 60pts before we start calling him a 90pts guys.

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
I doubt he can be the offensive producer Kopitar is but it's still Drouin.

...and?

Two players hit that '90 or so' mark, and one other was close enough on PPG that he might have if he played 82 games. We're moving towards a league where the best players are hitting just over 1 ppg. And you think Drouin slots easily in here? I don't. But I get it, he's one of your mancrushes so clearly he will and we'll never hear different.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Anyone else find it hilarious that Chambers thinks hes fit to evaluate Avs players?

I refuse to click on those (so no I haven't read any), the DP's BS in general is not even comedy worthy lately.

I think it irks me because someone is eventually going to point to something he writes as evidence to backup their opinion on a player like people did with Dater.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Drouin wanted a guaranteed spot on the NHL roster, team didn't feel that was in it's best interest at the time. Drouin then proceed to quit the AHL team while under contract and demand a trade.

RoR had every right to do what he wanted as he was a free agent. Albeit a RFA but still he had no contract with an NHL team. If he wanted to sign in the KHL over signing his offer from the Avs that was his choice. I don't disagree that it was a dick move, but he had no NHL contract at that point so he was well within his rights to listen to offers from any league or team.

The biggest difference between RoR's situation and Drouin's was contract status. Drouin's course of action should have been simple, do what the team tells you even if you disagree with it, wait until the end of the year, tell them in private that you don't see a future here and would like to be traded. If he doesn't get traded then he could do what RoR did and hold out and wait for a RFA offer. It's the team's decision on what to do with a signed player not the player's you do what you are told as they are your boss and employer.

Apparently the Drouin hype train is real right now, 90 points??? Are you kidding? All of 1 player in the entire league this season broke 90pts and you're telling me with a straight face that you think Drouin will break 90pts. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I just don't see him outscoring people like Benn, Kane, Crosby, Seguin, McDavid. 90 pts puts you top 3 players in the league, Drouin has done nothing to this point that shows he's remotely capable of being a top 3-5 player in the league. He has skills, but let's see if the kid can hit 60pts before we start calling him a 90pts guys.

He did do it in private but Tampa sat on their hands and he went public with it...he's played almost 100 NHL games with crap line mates. How many does he have to prove he deserves more minutes with better players?

Go look back my posts regarding him... I'm not over hyping based on what he did in half of the games I'm not even watching. My opinion on him has never changed.

Two players hit that '90 or so' mark, and one other was close enough on PPG that he might have if he played 82 games. We're moving towards a league where the best players are hitting just over 1 ppg. And you think Drouin slots easily in here? I don't. But I get it, he's one of your mancrushes so clearly he will and we'll never hear different.

He has 10/15 years to hit around 90 points. Not just one so, citing this years point producers doesn't prove anything.

I'm just giving my opinion on the player, you can take it however you like. The ignore button is right there too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Just curious, how much have you followed Drouin? How many games have you seen on TV or live?

I've seen him plenty of times live, and he reminds me of a young Patty Kane. Which is the only reason I'm not arguing against some of the hype on him.

Kane is a **** head too lol (both of them)

Edit : Just for fun, and because I'm down on MacK's overall hockey intelligence. I like this comparison,

Thor = Drouin

Thor's Hammer = MacKinnon

lol

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Just curious, how much have you followed Drouin? How many games have you seen on TV or live?

I've seen him plenty of times live, and he reminds me of a young Patty Kane. Which is the only reason I'm not arguing against some of the hype on him.

Kane is a **** head too lol (both of them)

Edit : Just for fun, and because I'm down on MacK's overall hockey intelligence. I like this comparison,

Thor = Drouin

Thor's Hammer = MacKinnon

lol

its called Mew-Mew? or something like that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad