Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Coots is one of the very best defensive centers in the game (probably top 5) and is now tapping into his offensive potential. He has been used in a pure shutdown role his whole career and has been a ~40 point player. Give him a touch more offensive minutes and better linemates and he will easily be a 50-55 point center... I think he has ~60 point potential in him still. The way he ended the season on the 2nd line in Philly shows what he can do with better opportunities.

So....basically he is Ryan O'Reilly.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
The misconceptions about Couts on this board make me lol. I'm from Philly. I watch about 50-60 Philly games a year.

Couts is not a top 5 defensive center. Every single one of my Philly fan friends, myself included, will confirm this. At this point, we/they view him as a ROR-lite. Exactly like us Avs fans said ROR is a Bergeron-lite. Couts skating, playmaking, and offensive zine awareness are not close to RORs. Neither is his D zone awareness. And that's coming from a guy who was there in person to see Couts shut down Malkin. In multiple games. I understand the conclusions. I've compared him to my hardcore Philly friends as a poor mans ROR and was met with acceptance that he MIGHT get to that point. No offense, but I'll trust my judgement and my close friends from Phillys judgement over any of yours.

Y'all are out to lunch if you try to challenge me on PA hockey. I grew up with it. Both my older and younger brothers are hardcore fans. All my friends are hardcore fans. Hell, you could argue I'm a Philly hardcore fan.

EDIT: grew up in the Philly area, went to college in the Pittsburgh area. I know my PA hockey stuff.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I have a funny feeling the Avs will trade Duchene to Tampa, if Stamkos walks, for a futures package involving one or more of Drouin, koekkoek, DeAngelo or Vasilevskiy. I could see the Avs using the saved money on a 'winner' like Lucic or Ladd. Just a prediction.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The misconceptions about Couts on this board make me lol. I'm from Philly. I watch about 50-60 Philly games a year.

Couts is not a top 5 defensive center. Every single one of my Philly fan friends, myself included, will confirm this. At this point, we/they view him as a ROR-lite. Exactly like us Avs fans said ROR is a Bergeron-lite. Couts skating, playmaking, and offensive zine awareness are not close to RORs. Neither is his D zone awareness. And that's coming from a guy who was there in person to see Couts shut down Malkin. In multiple games. I understand the conclusions. I've compared him to my hardcore Philly friends as a poor mans ROR and was met with acceptance that he MIGHT get to that point. No offense, but I'll trust my judgement and my close friends from Phillys judgement over any of yours.

Y'all are out to lunch if you try to challenge me on PA hockey. I grew up with it. Both my older and younger brothers are hardcore fans. All my friends are hardcore fans. Hell, you could argue I'm a Philly hardcore fan.

EDIT: grew up in the Philly area, went to college in the Pittsburgh area. I know my PA hockey stuff.

Yeah, the Philly attitude and arrogance is very clear in that post.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

latest

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, the Philly attitude and arrogance is very clear in that post.

I don't know about that. Your post is sounding pretty arrogant.

I'd say describing Couturier as a poor man's O'Reilly is pretty accurate. When O'Reilly was Couturier's age he had three strong offensive seasons, Couturier only has one so far. Couturier finished 19th, 9th, and 30th in Selke voting the last three years, so I'd say it's accurate to say he's not a top 5 defensive center, although he does have the potential to get there when he hits his prime.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree with everything said about Couturier not being O'Reilly good yet in all regards besides the defensive part. I don't know in Coots will ever match ROR offensively but I truly think he's already better defensively. I think he's better than Barkov defensively too.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
looking at the UFA list, if we loose one of Matthias/Skille, what about replacing with Sceviour? dunno if he would leave Dallas for the Avs at this point, but he appears to me as a very interesting underrated name out there.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I don't know about that. Your post is sounding pretty arrogant.

I'd say describing Couturier as a poor man's O'Reilly is pretty accurate. When O'Reilly was Couturier's age he had three strong offensive seasons, Couturier only has one so far. Couturier finished 19th, 9th, and 30th in Selke voting the last three years, so I'd say it's accurate to say he's not a top 5 defensive center, although he does have the potential to get there when he hits his prime.

It's not what he said, it's how he said it that showed Philly attitude and arrogance.
You ever been to Philly? I have.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
What if I want to discuss a Philly.... Cheese steak? That is being eaten by radulov...because his flight from Russia to Denver had a Philly layover?

I think it is an 80% chance he comes to the avs for about 5.5 million. And i am very excited.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Obviously Duchene for Drouin+ isn't a gamble I want to take. I don't think drouin would ever fill duchene's void but if adding him actually gets Mackinnon going like he was in junior than it could be worth it.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Obviously Duchene for Drouin+ isn't a gamble I want to take. I don't think drouin would ever fill duchene's void but if adding him actually gets Mackinnon going like he was in junior than it could be worth it.

It would be tough for Drouin to replace Duchene. Drouin is the smarter player and I think would be a better fit as a playmaker but he has a ways to go to get to Duchene's level. It would really depend on who/what is included in the package with Drouin.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It would be tough for Drouin to replace Duchene. Drouin is the smarter player and I think would be a better fit as a playmaker but he has a ways to go to get to Duchene's level. It would really depend on who/what is included in the package with Drouin.

That move would put us back to rebuild stage. I don't see why we would do it.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I don't understand why people are settling for underwhelming returns for Duchene. The ROR situation was far dire and we still netted a great exchange...Dutchy wants to be here and comes with a very desirable contract. There's absolutely zero reason to ship him off unless it makes the team unquestionably better the instant the trade goes down. Sakic may be inexperienced, but he isn't stupid. He knows he has far more leverage here than with ROR. Dutchy is a #1 C and he should be treated as such in terms of value.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I don't understand why people are settling for underwhelming returns for Duchene. The ROR situation was far dire and we still netted a great exchange...Dutchy wants to be here and comes with a very desirable contract. There's absolutely zero reason to ship him off unless it makes the team unquestionably better the instant the trade goes down. Sakic may be inexperienced, but he isn't stupid. He knows he has far more leverage here than with ROR. Dutchy is a #1 C and he should be treated as such in terms of value.

I think thats the issue. No one really knows what that is. We can all guess obviously, thats what this site is for but I have no idea. It really depends on who wants Dutchy that badly and why would they pay his value when they could just as easily (in theory) draft and develop a C/W of their own. I think of all the positions this is the easiest to achieve.
Your right, they have no reason to trade Duchene so its the other side that would need to come with an offer that blows them away.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's more that posters on HF are trying to make Daters rumor being true and finding that there probably isn't a good trade to be made.

Teams don't trade 25 year old 1C centers unless they are stupid.

Dater has always suggested that Avs should trade their best players. In the past it was Stastny and EJ. Now Landeskog and Duchene. He just craves attention.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sakic and Roy agreed with the "nobody us safe" narrative so there's definitely something out there. I found it funny Dater pushed the it's Duchene and Landeskog angle for a week and then on the last day admitted it's Barrie and Varly too, that's where the real action might lie. I agree, it's complete stupidity to trade Duchene unless somehow they can make some great in for one hockey trade, which is very hard to do. Even then he's still the face of the franchise, especially for casuals, it could easily blow up in their faces.

Big Bad Zad

Mar 31, 2016
Just from a value standpoint, I know we would need to make a separate move for another d, what do you think Tampa would be willing to add to drouin for Barrie? Assuming stamkos leaves and gives them cap space

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Sakic and Roy agreed with the "nobody us safe" narrative so there's definitely something out there. I found it funny Dater pushed the it's Duchene and Landeskog angle for a week and then on the last day admitted it's Barrie and Varly too, that's where the real action might lie. I agree, it's complete stupidity to trade Duchene unless somehow they can make some great in for one hockey trade, which is very hard to do. Even then he's still the face of the franchise, especially for casuals, it could easily blow up in their faces.

Nobody is safe doesn't mean they are actively looking to move players though. Just means the odds go up from 1% to 5% for a core player being traded.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think you can apply the "Nobody is safe" line to any team really. Especially if you arent getting the results you want.
Hell even if things are going well no one is super untouchable.
Those days ended when Wayne went south.
There are lots of reasons why players get traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad