Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Busy news day:

I knew they wouldn't give up on Siemens even though I got beaten up for that opinion.

I do think the fact that Barrie is a 3 year RFA made Sakic's decision easier. Arbitration won't lead to UFA.

I think Ward signing is for a redemption chance while also allowing the Canes to have a choice of which goalie to expose next year. Doesn't help the Varly to Canes ideas this offseason, but still leaves a window for later in the year or next offseason if they decide not to keep either Lack or Ward.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I do think the fact that Barrie is a 3 year RFA made Sakic's decision easier. Arbitration won't lead to UFA.

Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't Barrie just complete his 5th pro season and is a UFA in 2 years? Arbitration could lead to a 2-year contract and then free agency. I think if the team elects, Barrie can choose the term, correct?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't Barrie just complete his 5th pro season and is a UFA in 2 years? Arbitration could lead to a 2-year contract and then free agency. I think if the team elects, Barrie can choose the term, correct?

it was discussed in the barrie thread. his rookie season (11-12) he wasn't on avs roster for enough games to accrue a season.

we haven't gotten confirmation on this but i think the CBA is pretty clear and similar thing happened with boedker, except with him it was his sophomore year when he didn't get accrued season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Soooo did Chambers get so overwhelmed with retweets that he said ahhh **** it and didn't bother with the article :laugh:

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Soooo did Chambers get so overwhelmed with retweets that he said ahhh **** it and didn't bother with the article :laugh:

He finally posted it. Not much else in there other than (from what I could tell) Sakic saying they're going BPA with the 10th pick.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Though I like the fact that Sakic said we aren't trading Barrie, it also concerns me. There is an elephant in the room here, and that elephant is the fact that management/Roy were clearly not happy with how last year ended, and basically eluded to changes to the core of the team.

You take out the obvious candidates who won't be traded of MacK, Landy, now Barrie, EJ, Rantanen, Bigras, Zadorov. That leaves Varly and Duchene as the only core level guys that could be traded.

By deduction trading Varly doesn't accomplish a whole ton, as the market is thin and the return would probably have a minimal effect on the team.

That leaves Duchene in limbo. I would put an 80% chance at this point he is going to get moved this offseason. Now that it's out there Barrie isn't moving.

Management wanted a change to the core, Duchene is the only guy left that makes any sense. I'm officially worried that our best player will be jettisoned from the team. This really sucks.

Landy and EJ I could see being on the block. Zadorov being their main price of the ROR trade so hard to move him. But I could Bigras could being moved. Doubt they are that attached to him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So this is the Sakic quote on Barrie:

“I’d like to do a long-term deal with Tyson. If that doesn’t work out, it’s expected he’ll go to arbitration,” Sakic said. “Either way, he’ll be here.”

It's really nothing ground breaking. Everyone (except for maybe Chambers...) knew that Arbitration was an option. I'm not seeing a "we're not trading him" in that quote.

I'm not saying I expect Barrie to be traded, but the way it's presented, is like "okay, let's say trading him doesn't exist, you can't do that, what do you do with Tyson Barrie?" Because in that scenario, you only have two options--sign him to a long-term deal, or go to arbitration.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Oilers fans are pushing hard that Sakic is playing a game and it's a ploy to increase his value :laugh:

Sakic said "either way, he'll be here." That's as confident as can be. He never said anything like that about ROR. He often said he hoped, but never said he'll be here. Unless somebody offers some type of stupid value or 9 million dollar OS, Barrie will be signed.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Not surprised and Boedker testing the market because I don't think there was move love on either side there. I am surprised on Matthias because I think he felt like he fit in well here. He may just want to see what he would get elsewhere or maybe the Avs even told him they weren't sure that they could fit his salary in.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The worst part about that article is that Sakic threw out the possibility of a bridge deal for MAckinnon.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oilers fans are pushing hard that Sakic is playing a game and it's a ploy to increase his value :laugh:

Sakic said "either way, he'll be here." That's as confident as can be. He never said anything like that about ROR. He often said he hoped, but never said he'll be here. Unless somebody offers some type of stupid value or 9 million dollar OS, Barrie will be signed.

It's as confident as can be in the false scenario that there's only two options--sign him or go to arbitration.

The truth is he, like anyone, can be traded. Maybe Sakic is telling the truth (I'm leaning this way), or maybe he's trying to get a squeeze from teams who are calling asking about him.

It's not a strong denial though. He didn't say "we're not trading him" (or if he did, Chambers elected not to put that in the article). We've seen how something like this plays out. Sakic repeatedly stated the "goal was to sign Ryan long-term" when it came to O'Reilly, and they did go to arbitration only to sign a deal minutes before their hearing. If the Avs are going to Arbitration again and can't get a viable long-term contract done, I don't want to go through another 3 years of this. I'd rather they trade him.

And it's incredibly expected, and disappointing, that Chambers didn't ask about Duchene given the stuff from Dreger on Tuesday.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So this is the Sakic quote on Barrie:

It's really nothing ground breaking. Everyone (except for maybe Chambers...) knew that Arbitration was an option. I'm not seeing a "we're not trading him" in that quote.

I'm not saying I expect Barrie to be traded, but the way it's presented, is like "okay, let's say trading him doesn't exist, you can't do that, what do you do with Tyson Barrie?" Because in that scenario, you only have two options--sign him to a long-term deal, or go to arbitration.

"Either way he'll be here" I think that says he won't be traded...this offseason.

The Siemens/Gormely news is surprising but guess what's the harm? They'll be sent packing at the deadline or next offseason.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's as confident as can be in the false scenario that there's only two options--sign him or go to arbitration.

The truth is he, like anyone, can be traded. Maybe Sakic is telling the truth (I'm leaning this way), or maybe he's trying to get a squeeze from teams who are calling asking about him.

It's not a strong denial though. He didn't say "we're not trading him" (or if he did, Chambers elected not to put that in the article). We've seen how something like this plays out. Sakic repeatedly stated the "goal was to sign Ryan long-term" when it came to O'Reilly, and they did go to arbitration only to sign a deal minutes before their hearing. If the Avs are going to Arbitration again and can't get a viable long-term contract done, I don't want to go through another 3 years of this. I'd rather they trade him.

And it's incredibly expected, and disappointing, that Chambers didn't ask about Duchene given the stuff from Dreger on Tuesday.

Of course anything can happen but if you take this much time to interpret a direct, confident quote from Joe Sakic you must be very wary of everything else that happens in life. Sakic hmm's and haaa's over everything. Doesn't ever give black and white answers. To say "either way, he'll be here" means either way, he'll be here.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The worst part about that article is that Sakic threw out the possibility of a bridge deal for MAckinnon.

MacKinnon's already said he doesn't want to do a bridge deal. I'm sure he'll get his term. There's no reason not to give him a long term contract.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mackinnon's already said he doesn't want to do a bridge deal. I'm sure he'll get his term. There's no reason not to give him a long term contract.

I don't want to work until 6:30 today, but I have an appointment that will run late so i'll probably have to. Whatever you want to do doesn't always mean that's what you will get. Mackinnon may have said he doesn't want a bridge deal but Mackinnon may also not want to make any less than 8 million dollars a year.

There are always reasons to not give a long term contract. In the most obvious ways we, as fans hope he gets a long term contract but just because Mackinnon says that's what he wants doesn't mean that everything will add up to make that exactly what Mackinnon gets.

member 116861

Sucks that both Boedker and Matthias are testing the market. Boedker was expected but I really hoped Matthias re-signed. Still a good chance that we can get Matthias back and I have a strong feeling that he will pull a Daniel Winnik.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought Barrie was definitely getting moved so this is surprising. I don't think it's 100% that he isn't but the "he'll be here" quote is very good news. Hopefully it's a long-term deal though. Going to arbitration, getting some feelings hurt, and doing the exact same thing a year from now wouldn't be good.

Hate the idea of a bridge contract for MacKinnon. Again, hopefully it's a long-term deal. Preferably one that makes it so that I never have to read about a "Duchene cap" ever again.

Qualifying Siemens and Gormley doesn't hurt at all. It might have been better for Siemens' career if he got a fresh start elsewhere though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Of course anything can happen but if you take this much time to interpret a direct, confident quote from Joe Sakic you must be very wary of everything else that happens in life. Sakic hmm's and haaa's over everything. Doesn't ever give black and white answers. To say "either way, he'll be here" means either way, he'll be here.

It takes no time to see that Sakic only talked about two possibilities, with the end result from either one being that he's with the Avalanche.

He doesn't even offer the GM standard cursory of a denial though. That's all I'm saying...it seems (on the surface) too similar to how the O'Reilly stuff started.

We went through this arbitration **** with O'Reilly and Newport, I don't want to do it again with Barrie and Newport. If that's the road they end up having to go down, I'd rather trade him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't want to work until 6:30 today, but I have an appointment that will run late so i'll probably have to. Whatever you want to do doesn't always mean that's what you will get. Mackinnon may have said he doesn't want a bridge deal but Mackinnon may also not want to make any less than 8 million dollars a year.

There are always reasons to not give a long term contract. In the most obvious ways we, as fans hope he gets a long term contract but just because Mackinnon says that's what he wants doesn't mean that everything will add up to make that exactly what Mackinnon gets.

if he wants 8M now, he wants 11M after that bridge.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That seems about as confident about Barrie not being traded as I think you can be. Barrie has 3 RFA years, so arbitration isn't even the world's worst thing. The Avs can 'force' a 3 year relationship here, or use it as leverage to get a long-term deal done. IMO Barrie and Newport will be willing to negotiation those 3 RFA years up in exchange for some years at the end. I think we see a 5 or 6 year deal done.

I don't want a MacK bridge deal, but I think the Avs are playing hardball there. They probably have a ~6 year deal around $6m on the table and are basically saying take that or we will figure out a bridge around $3.5-4m and worry about the long-term in two years. I really don't want them to give MacK a bridge though... it seems like a no brainer to sign him for as long as possible while his value is down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad