Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎ ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I heard something on the radio today that expansion might be put off another year or two because Carolina might be moving to Las Vegas...

Nah, the canes (and yotes) situation(s) is(are) why they're waiting on QC; but Vegas is getting its expansion team next year, while Foley's still all in & the NFL/NBA hasn't come to town yet.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Seems like Habs fans are starting to get serious buyer's remorse on that Subban contract. It's reasonable when the cap seem to have plateaued at $70M.

That's why it so funny when I see people on here telling me we just need to pay Barrie. The cap is not guaranteed to always go up. And even if it does, it's very minor at this point due to the Canadian dollar.

The Avs are actually doing the right thing and not putting ourselves in cap hell, but then people just call us cheap.

I'm sure the Avs would be more than willing to pay Barrie a fair amount, problem is he wants either a contract that screws us and takes him to UFA or wants a drastic overpayment, which again screws us and our cap numbers.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I heard something on the radio today that expansion might be put off another year or two because Carolina might be moving to Las Vegas...

There was a rumor about that yesterday. Carolina seems to be on rocky footing right now.

Nah, the canes (and yotes) situation(s) is(are) why they're waiting on QC; but Vegas is getting its expansion team next year, while Foley's still all in & the NFL/NBA hasn't come to town yet.

I think it's funny that Carolina (so Karmanos) is on the Executive Committee that is going to make the recommendation about Expansion to the BoG.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I think it's funny that Carolina (so Karmanos) is on the Executive Committee that is going to make the recommendation about Expansion to the BoG.

In Montreal, it's all but confirmed that expansion is happening to Vegas, and the team will be called the black Knights. They would join the pacific division

Nothing about relocation.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Agreed. We will see expansion to LV next year, Carolina to QC the year after that. And expansion to Seattle whenever they get the stadium figured out.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm having a hard time seeing Carolina actually moving. Has a Stanley Cup Champion ever actually relocated before?

I would think the NHL would gear up for another fight to remain there especially considering how hard they fought to stay in Arizona. Not saying they should just that I'd be surprised to see a SC Champion moved so quickly.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
There is too much money to be made from expanding to LV out of the gate to not do it. They have viability for at least a while as well (long enough that the NHL is willing to plant a team there). QC did not pass the NHL's viability tests for a hockey team but that is not to say that they are not up on a list for a relocation team.

Another way to look at it is that QC is ready and wanting a team but if the NHL feels there is a possibility that a team has to be relocated then they do not want to plug up that market with a team and have nowhere to go with, say, the Hurricanes.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
My guesses:

1. LV gets the first expansion team, called the Shooters (I thought of Black Aces...great double meaning hockey/gambling name but players may not want to play for that team). just my opinion on the team name, not really a prediction.

2. Carolina moves to Seattle at some point (not sure on timing, but this has been a gut feeling for a while. Have not given much thought to the name for this team, but of the ones I have seen suggested, I am partial to Thunderbirds, and pay the junior team to add 'Junior' to its name.

3. Quebec gets the second expansion team, reviving the Nordiques with Avs permission.

It is possible that Quebec gets the move and Seattle the expansion, but I feel that Quebec has a better shot of supporting an expansion type team, whereas Seattle would benefit from at least some headstart with an established organization and fanbase, whatever is leftover...mainly Whale fans that stuck by them I am guessing. Most Carolina resident fans would probably spitefully (and somewhat justifiably) defect to Washington or elsewhere.

Added bonus, the Conferences are even up with West adding two, and the East losing and adding.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Can't see a CHL team using the "Junior" moniker. Do any CHL teams use "Junior"? Maybe Junior A teams or Tier II/III franchises in the States but not a WHL franchise.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pretty sure Black Aces is already trademarked. The NHL cares about ratings exponentially more than attendance. How a team is supported locally isn't real high on the priority list.

My wild theory is the Avs will buy the expansion AHL team and then move it to a large untapped market. If they can get it in Seattle and then build their own Kroenke palace then they will lease that arena to the Seattle group to put their NHL team there. If that's too out there then bet they try for something like Kansas City.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Pretty sure Black Aces is already trademarked. The NHL cares about ratings exponentially more than attendance. How a team is supported locally isn't real high on the priority list.

My wild theory is the Avs will buy the expansion AHL team and then move it to a large untapped market. If they can get it in Seattle and then build their own Kroenke palace then they will lease that arena to the Seattle group to put their NHL team there. If that's too out there then bet they try for something like Kansas City.

We've already got the ECHL in a Missouri suburb and are getting a USHL team on the Kansas side. KC won't support an AHL team at this point. There are already hockey options and unless it is the NHL, you aren't going to sell it nor will the city want an AHL tenant taking up valuable dates with mediocre attendance in the Sprint Center.

Doesn't OKC need a team again? They have a junior AAU club but nothing pro since the Barons moved out. When they were in the CHL, the OKC Blazers averaged more than 9,000 per game which is astonishing really.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
When the owner is being sued by his kids for financing a team with their trust money, anything could happen within the next year

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I would be really surprised if they did that. The Vegas owners have some of the deepest pockets and biggest motivation. They'll get the biggest expansion fee out of them. Relocation fees are always much cheaper.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
LOL, I guess the Hamonic trade rumors are back on. Or probably not. But it's something to think about while we twiddle our thumbs.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
In Montreal, it's all but confirmed that expansion is happening to Vegas, and the team will be called the black Knights. They would join the pacific division

Nothing about relocation.

Yikes. That is the worst name for a team.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Seems like Habs fans are starting to get serious buyer's remorse on that Subban contract. It's reasonable when the cap seem to have plateaued at $70M.

This thing with Subban is weird. It's as if some of the media and fans in Montreal are just set on running him out of town. He gets blamed for everything there. I'd take him, even at $9M/yr.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
This thing with Subban is weird. It's as if some of the media and fans in Montreal are just set on running him out of town. He gets blamed for everything there. I'd take him, even at $9M/yr.

Face of a franchise making a huge amount of money in a hockey crazed market that hasn't won anything in a billion years. It's to be expected.

Mad Brills*

So duchene for trouba eh?

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/can-don-sweeney-boston-bruins-do-what-needs-to-be-done-offseason

Hockey sources indicated to CSN that Colorado is dangling Matt Duchene with the hopes of ultimately landing Trouba, and that either Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent Hopkins will be dealt by Edmonton GM Peter Chiarelli to get their own coveted young D-man. (The Oilers would then draft a young forward with the fourth overall pick to replace whatever they lose up front.)

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA

Hope it's not true or something else really good is coming with Trouba.

To think a few years ago we had Matty, ROR and Staz down the middle. Makes me sad

Strike out on Radulov and deal Matty and out already stinking offense is going to be downright wretched. I'm swear, some people seem to think we have all these offensive riches to deal from to fix the blue line but that simply isn't the case. Our offense was only slightly less mediocre than our defense and I still feel like there is more depth coming through the system to address to defense versus what is coming through offensively outside of Rantanen.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Ugg, it's going to be Duchene for Trouba and Barrie for RNH isn't it. I don't mind the whole Barrie for Trouba dynamic, but I feel going from Duchene to RNH is a huge step back. Unless we get some significant pluses in both deals, I don't like where this is heading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad