Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
6 or 7 years, 9 million AAV offer sheet on Draisaitl. If Sakic trades Duchene for the high end D help we need, do you do it?

I know Sakic wont. Offer sheets are rare enough as it is and Sakic's "loyal" demeanor along with his passiveness wont allow him to do it. But if you're Sakic, do you?

It's a couple of million dollars a year more than Draisaitl deserves. It also may not be a necessary with Nolan Patrick potentially being an Av. But boy would a 1-2 punch of Mackinnon/Draisaitl be nice for the next half decade?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No simply because of the 2018 draft. It is too good and the Avs won't be good enough even with Leon.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
6 or 7 years, 9 million AAV offer sheet on Draisaitl. If Sakic trades Duchene for the high end D help we need, do you do it?

I know Sakic wont. Offer sheets are rare enough as it is and Sakic's "loyal" demeanor along with his passiveness wont allow him to do it. But if you're Sakic, do you?

It's a couple of million dollars a year more than Draisaitl deserves. It also may not be a necessary with Nolan Patrick potentially being an Av. But boy would a 1-2 punch of Mackinnon/Draisaitl be nice for the next half decade?

Hell ******* no. I really like Draisaitl but he's inflated by McDavid quite a bit so anything more than 6.5 is too much and Edmonton would just match. Then you have the 2 1sts, 2nd and 3rd that you'd have to give up on a team that even with Draisaitl will likely be top 10 picks both years. 2018 and especially 2019 are looking like amazing drafts for high end guys as well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If it was solely without having to give up picks why the hell not; but Draisaitl isn't good enough to justify us losing our 1st next season, not to mention even more picks when this team can ill afford to throw picks away over the next few years.

I'm also of the opinion that Draisaitl 1) Enjoys playing in Edmonton a ton, and 2) Prefers playing wing. IIRC he has even stated in interviews before, I believe this season, that he is more comfortable playing on the wing. I believe it was around the time the Oilers paired him with McDavid.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The cost in draft picks for offer sheets that large makes them basically always more costly than they're worth. The only players who would be worth that much in futures are guys like Crosby and McDavid, and those are the guys who will be matched no matter what anyway.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

No way this will happen as $9M per is equal to 1st round picks for the next 4 years. This is insane unless the player is a generational talent like McDavid. Not even sure if Matthews, Eichel or Laine is worth this much. AVs will be rebuilding the next few years and the picks will likely be lottery eligible.

Keep moving with the rebuild and drafting. I'm confident by 2019 the team will be competitive regardless of a RFA is added.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Are you guys willing to trade EJ for Drouin? Article states an elite Defenseman, Barrie isn't gonna get it done.

If we're truly rebuilding, yes. If it's just a retool and we're flipping Duchene for a defenseman, then it doesn't make sense to trade EJ.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The only reason I'd be ok with that trade is because the latter half of EJ's contract scares the hell out of me. He's already injury prone and almost all of his injuries are lower-body related.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Are you guys willing to trade EJ for Drouin? Article states an elite Defenseman, Barrie isn't gonna get it done.

I would without a doubt move EJ for Drouin. I feel Barrie holds much more value. He's a 50+ point defenseman. He lacks defensive ability, but if TBL is looking for an offensive D he's one of the best out there.

I think Barrie+ is the most likely/fair trade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The contract demands for Drouin are going to be scary. No doubt he is a good player, but he is a pretty one dimensional wing that didn't out score MacK on a better team.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
All aboard my drouin to avs train!

[Tweet]857283529381601280[/MEDIA]

23. Yzerman wouldn’t address the aborted Kevin Shattenkirk trade, but did say the Lightning will look at adding “more offence from the blue line, but there’s no guarantee we can do that.”

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Masterplan vol 203431:

Drouin <-> Barrie as base
Duchene <-> Return X
Lose lottery, pick 4th -> trade to couple spots down and pick up Heiskanen & 2nd rounder
???

Profit.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The contract demands for Drouin are going to be scary. No doubt he is a good player, but he is a pretty one dimensional wing that didn't out score MacK on a better team.

That's kind of how I feel about it. The Avs have MacKinnon and Landeskog, who are both top six forwards, Rantanen is almost a sure fire long term top six forward, Jost reasonably will be a top six foward, and Compher has that potential in him...Drouin might be special, but is he really necessary here, taking into account 1) that all assets should be put towards defense, and 2) what he will want long term, combined with everyone else up front? Yzerman isn't an idiot. He's making Drouin available for a reason. Of course the previous issues and the quality of return from Drouin compared to others plays into it, but I really don't think coughing up for wingers is a bright idea. Obviously the Lightning have Kucherov which I'm sure plays into it, but with Landy, Rantanen, and probably one, if not two, of Compher / Jost / their 1st rounder this year on the wing long term...I think the Avs are OK on that front.

The only way you can justify Barrie for Drouin (and I've not doubt Yzerman would want more too, if interested at all) is if 1) you think Barrie has no future with the Avs, and 2) the Avs are adding two top four defenders from elsewhere, and 3) You accept that another one of the Avs forwards would have to be moved for cap reasons in the next couple of years, AKA Landeskog or Rantanen, because you can't dump ~6 million into three wingers and hope to be competitive elsewhere.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd trade EJ for Drouin in a heartbeat but Sakic doesn't do it. Barrie...who knows? One thing for sure is if we trade a top 4 dman for a forward, we'll need to find a way to bring at the very least 2 other top 4 dmen during the summer. Sakic would have a lot of work to do.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yzerman isn't an idiot. He's making Drouin available for a reason.

While being very talented, Drouin kind of come across as a "me first" player (both on and off the ice) and I could see how it rubs people the wrong way. I don't think Yzerman likes him very much.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Drouin is a good player, but we frankly do not need him. The cap space and assets he would require need to be spent on defense. The top 6 is not our biggest issue going forward.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

To be fair, he had the same 53 points as MacK did, but he did it in 9 less games. He also did it while averaging 2:14 less in ice time.

He's also got a pretty good playoff run under his belt with 14 points in 17 games, which is actually a higher rate than his regular season performances.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm not looking forward to the last couple of years of Erik Johnson's contract. But even so I don't know how I feel about him being traded. Though he's not an ideal #1, he's probably the only top pairing quality guy we've had since Blake. That should show to everybody how difficult it is to acquire high end defense.

Even if Sakic decides to go full rebuild mode, I don't think that defenseman is a piece we can give up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To be fair, he had the same 53 points as MacK did, but he did it in 9 less games. He also did while averaging 2:14 less in ice time.

He's also got a pretty good playoff run under his belt with 14 points in 17 games, which is actually a higher rate than his regular season performances.

Drouin gets less icetime because he is trusted less by Cooper, and most of that time is PK time... 1:44 of it. MacK also had 10 more even strength points. The Avs abysmal PP has a lot to do with MacK's production as well. MacK also has 10 points in 7 games in the playoffs. MacK is a significant better player than Drouin still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad