Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't consider EJ or Barrie to be elite but I feel the same way about Shattenrkirk and Tampa was reportedly going to trade Drouin for him.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
If we're getting 1 or 2 dman this summer via trade or free agency, then I'd trade EJ for Drouin. If not, I don't see the point in bringing in Drouin. I know he has a lot of chemistry with MacKinnon, but I'd rather get a dman or two.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd trade Barrie for Drouin for sure, but definitely not EJ.I'm still think EJ is a very very low end #1, if we lose him there's no one even close we can get or have to replace him. I would assume Duchene is 90% gone and Landy has a possibility of leaving but its a lot lower than Duchenes. Hypothetically if both of them get traded for Dmen might not be the worst plan. Then we have our pick this year which should be a top 6 player. Still a bit of a dream scenario there I guess though.
Barrie-->Drouin
Landy-->Top 4 D
Duchene--> Top 4 D

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Drouin gets less icetime because he is trusted less by Cooper, and most of that time is PK time... 1:44 of it. MacK also had 10 more even strength points. The Avs abysmal PP has a lot to do with MacK's production as well. MacK also has 10 points in 7 games in the playoffs. MacK is a significant better player than Drouin still.

I think Nate is better, but I don't think the stats have shown that. I think Drouin is better at creating offense individually that puts points on the board, but Nate is a more complete player, especially physically, and a better goal scorer.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I JOST hope Duchene is traded this summer. I don't want him traded JOST because, but I hope we get a good return for him. I hope we keep Landy, though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Drouin gets less icetime because he is trusted less by Cooper, and most of that time is PK time... 1:44 of it. MacK also had 10 more even strength points. The Avs abysmal PP has a lot to do with MacK's production as well. MacK also has 10 points in 7 games in the playoffs. MacK is a significant better player than Drouin still.

I agree MacKinnon's better but why are we even comparing the two? Drouin will get paid but I doubt he's looking for more than MacKinnon money. His skill would be a welcomed addition to this team and I think we'll see an increase in production for both him and MacKinnon if they're together. That's not even necessarily because of their past success and chemistry, I just think their skill sets are a good fit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree MacKinnon's better but why are we even comparing the two? Drouin will get paid but I doubt he's looking for more than MacKinnon money. His skill would be a welcomed addition to this team and I think we'll see an increase in production for both him and MacKinnon if they're together. That's not even necessarily because of their past success and chemistry, I just think their skill sets are a good fit.

He is

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If he is that's a starting point in negotiations. Nate was rumored around $7M to start, and they settled on $6.3M.

Drouin has to compare himself to Nate and Barkov from his draft year, and he hasn't put himself in a position to command more than either. They know that.

Not to mention, I would bet he and his agent would ask for a lot because Tampa took money out of his pocket early on by keeping him out of the NHL, and also probably to force another trade situation. I don't think that situation is totally in the rear view.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I like EJ but if the Avs can find a way to get out of that contract and get a real good younger player in return, I think they should definitely consider it. Obviously it would cause another issue with the defense, but it would also help reset the core. By the time the Avs are ready to compete (if they ever are), EJ is going to be a very different player.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I love how this board tears itself apart asking why Sakic hasn't fixed the D, then turns around and talks about trading one of the few proven defensemen we have for a good-but-not-great winger for our already pretty solid top six.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I like EJ but if the Avs can find a way to get out of that contract and get a real good younger player in return, I think they should definitely consider it. Obviously it would cause another issue with the defense, but it would also help reset the core. By the time the Avs are ready to compete (if they ever are), EJ is going to be a very different player.

IMO he is going to be a broken down player.

I just don't know what the hell this defence would look like without him here for the next few years.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I love how this board tears itself apart asking why Sakic hasn't fixed the D, then turns around and talks about trading one of the few proven defensemen we have for a good-but-not-great winger for our already pretty solid top six.

I think we need a #1 dman and one that will be one on the team when we are ready to compete. Let's not kid ourselves there is serious question as to whether EJ is one now or has ever been. Trading him might not be a bad idea. Drouin is well on his way to becoming a great winger and would probably help our team more when we are ready to compete as well. That said there are obviously other factors to include like Johnsons ability to help our young defence grow.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016

EJ's our best dman, I don't deny that, but he's 29 years old and he's injury prone. If/when this team is able to compete, he will be way past his prime. I don't like his contract at all. If we can land a dman or two, then I would trade EJ for Drouin.

Drouin's a good winger, but I have no doubt that he'll be one of the best wingers in the game soon.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
LeBrun explained it pretty well, Drouin sees himself in the same class as Mack, Barkov and Jones so he's not going to take less than them because Tampa jerked him around.

I wouldn't trade EJ because I don't think we'd get value in return to make it worth it. I'd be planning for Barrie's eventual exit myself.

I'm not hot on any offersheet ideas but thank god y'all floated out the hypothetical with at least what it would take to get him. I'm so tired of seeing folks pitch (not here in general) that 6M is going to get so and so.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Solid top 6 huh? The top 6 was getting filled out by guys who were on waivers this year. It's got potential but is hardly solid, and Duchene isn't likely to be around much longer.

It really just depends on when you expect this team to actually be good. They definitely have to fix the defense, but it's pretty reasonable to have doubts about EJ's longevity given the numerous leg injuries he's had to deal with. I'm really not expecting this team to be anywhere near ready to do anything for a few years at least, and those may be the last few good to great years EJ has left (if he can even stay healthy).

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Wonder if there's a realistic chance Shattenkirk signs here? Weren't we on his short list for a sign and trade? Sign Shattenkirk, Trade Barrie/EJ for Drouin, Duchene for Hanifin, Add Nolan Patrick...Dream off season right now.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think we need a #1 dman and one that will be one on the team when we are ready to compete. Let's not kid ourselves there is serious question as to whether EJ is one now or has ever been. Trading him might not be a bad idea. Drouin is well on his way to becoming a great winger and would probably help our team more when we are ready to compete as well. That said there are obviously other factors to include like Johnsons ability to help our young defence grow.

This team played it's worst hockey this year with EJ gone. If we trade him, we have to consider the possibility of December and January extended for 82 games. And then we could STILL pick 4th and miss Dahlin despite being even worse in the standings.

Not to mention, Drouin will need to be paid, and that's money tied up in forwards that needs to be invested in defense. When Rantanen and Jost need their contracts, paying Drouin that much might not sound so appealing.

I get that EJ's contract looks iffy down the line, but he is more valuable on this team than off it. Scrambling to get out of it now will hurt just as much as the last two years of the deal if we keep him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Solid top 6 huh? The top 6 was getting filled out by guys who were on waivers this year. It's got potential but is hardly solid, and Duchene isn't likely to be around much longer.

It really just depends on when you expect this team to actually be good. They definitely have to fix the defense, but it's pretty reasonable to have doubts about EJ's longevity given the numerous leg injuries he's had to deal with. I'm really not expecting this team to be anywhere near ready to do anything for a few years at least, and those may be the last few good to great years EJ has left (if he can even stay healthy).

If you're looking to the future, yes, our top six is pretty good. MacKinnon, Jost, Rantanen, Landeskog, and our 2017 1st is more than enough to build a solid offense, even subtracting Duchene. Add Greer, Compher, Nieto, and Andrighetto as potential complementary pieces and yeah, the top six looks fine in a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad