Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think Friedman misinterpreted the rumor. Sakic has his scouting department on a heavy diet of potato chips and hamburgers.

More seriously, I wonder if Arizona tries to get in on Duchene. Apparently Tippet said they want to add a #1 centre this off-season according to the Coyotes board, and looking at their roster it sort of makes sense. They can't keep just adding 18-20 year olds and hoping to build something. Adding someone to play top line center gives them someone to shelter Strome and some of their younger guys. The Coyotes have to try to be a playoff team again at some point, and waiting for another 18 year old from this draft to maybe, one day, be their #1 centre doesn't seem ideal. Having said that, I have no idea what the Coyotes would realistically put on the table that would interest the Avs and their defensive needs. Another suitor hopefully at least.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think Friedman misinterpreted the rumor. Sakic has his scouting department on a heavy diet of potato chips and hamburgers.

More seriously, I wonder if Arizona tries to get in on Duchene. Apparently Tippet said they want to add a #1 centre this off-season according to the Coyotes board, and looking at their roster it sort of makes sense. They can't keep just adding 18-20 year olds and hoping to build something. Adding someone to play top line center gives them someone to shelter Strome and some of their younger guys. The Coyotes have to try to be a playoff team again at some point, and waiting for another 18 year old from this draft to maybe, one day, be their #1 centre doesn't seem ideal. Having said that, I have no idea what the Coyotes would realistically put on the table that would interest the Avs and their defensive needs. Another suitor hopefully at least.

OEL, same contract issue/timeline.

As much as it makes sense for teams like Arizona and Carolina to stop stacking up futures and make a move, I don't think a near pending UFA works for them. In the markets they are without much success or promise of success I don't think gambling on a guy who might walk in 2 years is the way to go. I dont think Duchene is a staunch UFAitist but if I were those two teams I'd be a bit nervous. It's just like us, do you gamble the moon and stars that OEL sticks around if we traded for him? A market like Montreal I'd give much better hope of showing something in the next 2 years and being the type of market that can keep a pending UFA.

I think they need to move Strome as the carrot if they want to get a real NHLer back. They better do it now because if he spends most of the year in the AHL next year his value is going to look a lot like MDC. Maybe their pick this year too, not like they need to pick another young forward.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO OEL would make a dramatic difference on this team. He is that good... paired with EJ, that could be a top 10 pairing in the NHL. The Avs would still have issues, but that would go a long, long way towards solving them. If Arizona offered up OEL for Duchene, I'd make that deal and take the risk. No way Arizona does that though.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
OEL, same contract issue/timeline.

As much as it makes sense for teams like Arizona and Carolina to stop stacking up futures and make a move, I don't think a near pending UFA works for them. In the markets they are without much success or promise of success I don't think gambling on a guy who might walk in 2 years is the way to go. I dont think Duchene is a staunch UFAitist but if I were those two teams I'd be a bit nervous. It's just like us, do you gamble the moon and stars that OEL sticks around if we traded for him? A market like Montreal I'd give much better hope of showing something in the next 2 years and being the type of market that can keep a pending UFA.

I think they need to move Strome as the carrot if they want to get a real NHLer back. They better do it now because if he spends most of the year in the AHL next year his value is going to look a lot like MDC. Maybe their pick this year too, not like they need to pick another young forward.

Perhaps, but I doubt Tippet is overly keen on just developing young guys, and apparently he has a significant say there. Chakya has assembled so many young pieces, but what are they going to do next year? Throw them all to the wolves again, this time without Hanzal? I mean, Perlini is 20, Domi is 22, Fischer is 20, Dvorak is 20, Crouse is 19, Duclair is 21, Keller is 18, Strome is 20...assuming they get a top two pick, are they going to rely on another 18 year old to become a key player? Their "vets" at this point going into next year are McGinn, Richardson, and Rieder. That's their signed forward roster combined with all of the guys listed above. Maybe they re-sign both Vrbata and Doan, maybe dip into the free agency pool and grab a Bonino type, but aside from Vrbata, if he stays, and Domi, they have no established top six forward talent, in my opinion.

Arizona won't offer OEL, I think the entire point is that they have to start building a roster than can compete and properly develop around him. And I'm not sure just drafting and trading for kids up front and tossing them out there is the brightest idea. Probably not Duchene, but I think they almost have to be aggressive and get someone who's a high end top six forward.

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
Sharks fan here,

Curious as to Landeskogs availability. Was last year just a down year because of the team or has he already peaked? I'm thinking it was the team, although I didn't watch him much this year.

What would it take from SJ to get him? Would something around Mueller +1st get him? What about Joakim Ryan(undersized, electric, great skating 23 YO D man that scored 49 pts in 65 games in the AHL) + another B level prospect + a pick do the trick?

Just curious, not sure of what his worth is to the Avs and He, hertl, and Meier would be an absolute possession monster line.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Sharks fan here,

Curious as to Landeskogs availability. Was last year just a down year because of the team or has he already peaked? I'm thinking it was the team, although I didn't watch him much this year.

What would it take from SJ to get him? Would something around Mueller +1st get him? What about Joakim Ryan(undersized, electric, great skating 23 YO D man that scored 49 pts in 65 games in the AHL) + another B level prospect + a pick do the trick?

Just curious, not sure of what his worth is to the Avs and He, hertl, and Meier would be an absolute possession monster line.

I doubt he's getting moved, and yeah...that's not a smart idea to come onto this board and offer that, I'm afraid. The Avs would need a really high end young defender for him...not a near-bust prospect like Mueller and a late 1st, or a deal centered by an undersized offensive minded defensman with nice AHL numbers at 23. The Sharks really don't have the pieces for either Duchene or Landeskog.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Most players tend to peak earlier than people think, so Landy probably has peaked. But least year was a blip compared to his normal. He will be a 20g 55p 2 way, physical winger for 6ish more years. To get Landy, I don't think the Sharks have what the Avs would need. Young, legit top pairing potential D prospect + 1st + roster player. Basically the same type of ask Sakic is trying to get for Duchene.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Sharks fan here,

I'd guess everyone is available except MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost.

Personally, I think the Avs would target a more established defensemen than Mueller.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'd guess everyone is available except MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost.

Personally, I think the Avs would target a more established defensemen than Mueller.

Mueller is a complete bust. Maybe the Sharks eek a bottom pairing defensman out of him at this point, but that's about it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Roy could ever stay healthy, he'd honestly be the piece the Avs would want. Just too much risk with his injury history. Sharks got a hell of a player in him.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
OEL would walk. I'll take Chychrun + 2018 1st + 2017 2nd for Duchene. I doubt Chayka is making these moves though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dont get it, Dudley isn't a scout. I dont really get the reference.

He's held advisor and Director of Player Personnel roles in the past. The latter oversees and culls a lot of pro scouting info. That's probably what Friedman was referring to.

The Avs could be looking into a position either overseeing or replacing Brad Smith.

Who was that guy from the Q that we heard rumors on Roy wanting to bring in? I wanna say he was quoted later on, after declining the position, saying it wasn't an amateur scouting role. Though I might be wrong on that.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I expect to see him there, to be completely honest with you

I get that, but I think that Sakic's idea of "decent assets" might be different than ours. Unless those decent assets actually fill some holes, the trade will be seen as a failure, especially if Duchene rebounds and blows the doors off the league with a competitive team.

I would be happy with a main piece, a similar type of prospect like we got for ROR trade in Zadorov, although he must be ready to play for NHL next season. Then a 1st round pick from this or next years draft and another good prospect.
A top line prospect D who would slide in Avs top 4 is what Sakic meant. We cant measure this, we each have different level of expectations on the return. Sakic is a listener here, just listens to the offers while other teams will bid for Duchene. Looking at Sakic's face during the interview, I can feel that there is no way that he will take anything less. Top 4D, 1st rounder and a good prospect.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What is Chychrun's ceiling?

I didn't get to see him much this year, but he did step right into the NHL and didn't look back. I doubt his prospects have changed much since the draft in that his ceiling is the top pair. IMO, he shouldn't have fallen as far as he did.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would be happy with a main piece, a similar type of prospect like we got for ROR trade in Zadorov, although he must be ready to play for NHL next season. Then a 1st round pick from this or next years draft and another good prospect.
A top line prospect D who would slide in Avs top 4 is what Sakic meant. We cant measure this, we each have different level of expectations on the return. Sakic is a listener here, just listens to the offers while other teams will bid for Duchene. Looking at Sakic's face during the interview, I can feel that there is no way that he will take anything less. Top 4D, 1st rounder and a good prospect.

Zadorov had a top pair ceiling at the time of the trade, and IMO still does, although he still needs time to reach that. I don't consider that trade a failure, and I wouldn't be mad to see that level of defenseman come back at all, but people keep talking about accepting Maata and Murray coming back, and that IMO just is not good enough.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Zadorov had a top pair ceiling at the time of the trade, and IMO still does, although he still needs time to reach that. I don't consider that trade a failure, and I wouldn't be mad to see that level of defenseman come back at all, but people keep talking about accepting Maata and Murray coming back, and that IMO just is not good enough.

I agree with you. I would not want to see us trade Duchene for Maata or Murray. A 3 team trade would be awesome too, something that might involve Trouba. I would take Trouba 1 on 1 for Duchene. I wonder what the 3rd team might be which could be involved in such a situational trade?
Maybe something like sending Duchene to Canadians for something that Winnipeg might want in return. Trouba is the kind of D man that Colorado needs. Would fit like a glove on the 1st line with Johnson. I am not even sure if he even wants to stay in Winnipeg. Colorado would be able to sign him long term with a nice $6M cap hit.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
OEL would walk. I'll take Chychrun + 2018 1st + 2017 2nd for Duchene. I doubt Chayka is making these moves though.

I'd take Chychrun straight up for Duchene but Arizona doesn't do this (let alone adding a 1st and a 2nd).

Chychrun ≥ Hanifin > Sergachev

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
Sorry for the low ball. I was under the impression Duchene would cost significantly more than Landy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad