Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Friedman back on television with Sportsnet, just stating basically what he's said in his "30 Thoughts" article:

- Doesn't see a fit with Ottawa for Duchene since Avs would ask for Chabot and Ottawa "will not even consider trading Chabot"
- When asked which teams he could see making a run for Duchene, he placed heavy emphasis on Carolina while also mentioning Anaheim, Boston, and Winnipeg.
- Said Boston won't be able to trade for Duchene because they don't want to move "the young defensemen the Avs want", though he did not name which. I doubt the Avs want Carlo for Duchene, I'd bet they want McAvoy instead.
- Said he doesn't know if Winnipeg can make the deal right now due to Myers being hurt and Byfuglien struggling but he did suggest a potential deal involving Jacob Trouba. He then said that he thinks Winnipeg will focus more on goaltending leading up to the deadline instead of someone like Duchene

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I say this with extreme cautiousness (given Iggy). Thomas Vanek 33 points, in 41 games this season, is 32-33 years old (has a good 2-3 years in him). Detroit are planning to potentially offload him. Good for a 3rd rounder? Then sign him to 2 year (2.25 - 2.60 per) contract? He's on 2.6M in Detroit.

Top 6 of:
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Vanek - Duchene - Patrick

Heck, he's scored more points, in less game than Dutchy. We also wouldn't be sacraficing TOO much salary, and draft pick wise, or is this just repeating what we have already done with Iggy, Stuart, Tyutin and Beauchemin?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I say this with extreme cautiousness (given Iggy). Thomas Vanek 33 points, in 41 games this season, is 32-33 years old (has a good 2-3 years in him). Detroit are planning to potentially offload him. Good for a 3rd rounder? Then sign him to 2 year (2.25 - 2.60 per) contract? He's on 2.6M in Detroit.

Top 6 of:

The last thing we should do is move picks for an older UFA.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Top 6 of:

Heck, he's scored more points, in less game than Dutchy. We also wouldn't be sacraficing TOO much salary, and draft pick wise, or is this just repeating what we have already done with Iggy, Stuart, Tyutin and Beauchemin?

Why on earth would you trade anything for Thomas Vanek when he'll be a UFA this summer?

We're in 30th place in the league. Seriously, what does it accomplish?

If you want to sign him as a UFA (and I'm in the camp that does - albeit on a 1-year deal if he would take it), then just wait until the summer. It makes zero sense to actually trade for Thomas Vanek

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Trouba would be a dream. He's playing really well this year. I'd imagine Avs would be adding in that deal due to the contract statuses.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You're saying a 3rd is too much to get the rights to a 33 year old who currently on 33 points in just 41 games?

For the Avs, yeah. To teams wanting secondary scoring and have a shot at the playoffs, no... Wings probably get a conditional 2nd from somebody.

The price tag on Duchene is very high. Of course teams will scoff with 3 weeks to try to negotiate the price lower. It will be who blinks first.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Why on earth would you trade anything for Thomas Vanek when he'll be a UFA this summer?

We're in 30th place in the league. Seriously, what does it accomplish?

If you want to sign him as a UFA (and I'm in the camp that does - albeit on a 1-year deal if he would take it), then just wait until the summer. It makes zero sense to actually trade for Thomas Vanek

Because he'll be traded to someone who can negotiate before that time. They will then lock him up for term(even 2 years).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Because he'll be traded to someone who can negotiate before that time. They will then lock him up for term(even 2 years).

It's only Vanek. I wouldn't mind Vanek on a 1 year deal, but haven't we learned about these 30+ FA's yet? I mean we've gotten burned by every single one. There's 0 need to give up any assets for Vanek

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

It just doesn't make sense to make that type of trade this year Eagles.

For example (and I mean "Example", not for someone else to decide to drudge up a long-dead/beaten debate), I am in the camp that was fine with the Boedker trade, because the Avs were in the thick of the playoff chase, and, if memory serves correct, they were holding down the last WC spot at the time.

The Avs this year are currently trending towards a historically bad bad season. It really doesn't make a lot of sense for them to trade a 3rd round pick for a pending UFA. It just doesn't. They'll have a good chunk of cap space in the offseason where they can utilize that to pick up some pieces (possibly via trade due to a potential flat cap) and help get the team reloaded.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Vanek at the Disco (who I didn't know was still playing) can go absolutely anywhere but here

Maybe Minnesota will take him back for their inevitable spectacular playoff failure

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Then so be it, that team will have traded away a draft pick to negotiate with Vanek when the NHL has the negotiating window prior to free agency opening where that can happen.

It's Thomas Vanek. I like him as a player but let's not act like he'll help this team out that much. Especially at 33 years old.

If he really wants to sign here, and the feeling is mutual from Sakic, then a 1-year contract on July 1st wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But in no way should this team be trading away draft picks for UFA's. They should be moving out UFA's for draft picks.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bored, decided to try and dig for where Avs scouts have been. Found Habs reporter who tweets all the scout lists in Montreal and a few other tweets.

2/7 - DAL at TOR
2/6 - BUF at NJ
1/26 - EDM at SJ
1/25 - EDM at ANH
1/24 - CGY at MON
1/9 - DAL at LA
1/4 - NYR at PHI
12/29 - BOS at BUF
12/28 - LA at VAN
12/19 - NAS at PHI
12/12 - BOS at MTL
11/17 - TB at BUF
11/10 - LA at MTL
11/8 - BOS at MTL

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Friedman back on television with Sportsnet, just stating basically what he's said in his "30 Thoughts" article:

- Doesn't see a fit with Ottawa for Duchene since Avs would ask for Chabot and Ottawa "will not even consider trading Chabot"
- When asked which teams he could see making a run for Duchene, he placed heavy emphasis on Carolina while also mentioning Anaheim, Boston, and Winnipeg.
- Said Boston won't be able to trade for Duchene because they don't want to move "the young defensemen the Avs want", though he did not name which. I doubt the Avs want Carlo for Duchene, I'd bet they want McAvoy instead.
- Said he doesn't know if Winnipeg can make the deal right now due to Myers being hurt and Byfuglien struggling but he did suggest a potential deal involving Jacob Trouba. He then said that he thinks Winnipeg will focus more on goaltending leading up to the deadline instead of someone like Duchene

I like hearing that. Unless I missed it, I think they're also one of the few teams where the insiders aren't ruling certain young players/prospects out. I believe it was SEPH who mentioned that McKenzie brought up Faulk/Slavin/Hanifin when he talked about it the other week.

Gotta love the teams leaking interest while also saying they're not going to trade their top young players/prospects in a deal. Thanks for calling?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Well if somebody is willing to pay the price for that privilege, bully for them. But it's not like Vanek would change the dynamic of this team significantly enough to justify spending any assets just for a leg up in negotiations.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I like hearing that. Unless I missed it, I think they're also one of the few teams where the insiders aren't ruling certain young players/prospects out. I believe it was SEPH who mentioned that McKenzie brought up Faulk/Slavin/Hanifin when he talked about it the other week.

Gotta love the teams leaking interest while also saying they're not going to trade their top young players/prospects in a deal. Thanks for calling?

Yeah, and even adding his own perspective to the potential Carolina deal Friedman said he doesn't think there's a better fit in the league for Duchene than in Carolina given what the Hurricanes have and what they need.

It's hilarious to hear that stuff. "Yeah the Bruins have interest in Matt Duchene but they have no interest in giving up anything worth while for him and believe his asking price is ridiculous. It's believed the Bruins are willing to part with Ryan Spooner plus a draft pick but not much else" or something like that lol

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Drives me nuts too. Ottawa is interested but they aren't giving up Chabot! And this was repeated multiple times. Ok, then, good to know.

I don't think NJ is getting enough attention. We've had a scout out to see them too. Are they going to trade Duchene for Severson or something?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills. How are guys like McAvoy and Chabot worth Duchene and it's them saying a BIG FAT NO.

Then you have Trouba's name coming up...these aren't interchangeable. Sucks that Myers got hurt, that would've been ideal.

Drives me nuts too. Ottawa is interested but they aren't giving up Chabot! And this was repeated multiple times. Ok, then, good to know.

I don't think NJ is getting enough attention. We've had a scout out to see them too. Are they going to trade Duchene for Severson or something?
That would be so unlike NJ. They won't ship out 2 defenders for attackers in less than a year. Plus Severson isn't a defender the avs should target.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills. How are guys like McAvoy and Chabot worth Duchene and it's them saying a BIG FAT NO.

Then you have Trouba's name coming up...these aren't interchangeable. Sucks that Myers got hurt, that would've been ideal.

That would be so unlike NJ. They won't ship out 2 defenders for attackers in less than a year. Plus Severson isn't a defender the avs should target.

I'd prefer Trouba over either of Chabot or McAvoy that's for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad