Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not HF though. It's those teams apparently saying no and wanting to acquire Duchene/Landeskog for peanuts.

To be expected really. The insiders don't have access to the Avalanche but have plenty of access to teams like the Bruins and Senators, and those teams naturally want the national information to be "we are not willing to trade our valuable assets but we would like their valuable assets"

Dreger is the king of putting out that kind of information

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills. How are guys like McAvoy and Chabot worth Duchene and it's them saying a BIG FAT NO.

It's probably the pluses that are the real sticking point. Any GM would make that deal on value, but Sakic is (and should be) asking for some significant bonuses to reduce his risk on the deal if one piece goes sour. If we trade Duchene for McAvoy 1-for-1 and McAvoy gets Hishon-ed the next week then we have zero to show for it in a year. At least Spooner+1st would be something to salvage the deal in that case.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's probably the pluses that are the real sticking point. Any GM would make that deal on value, but Sakic is (and should be) asking for some significant bonuses to reduce his risk on the deal if one piece goes sour. If we trade Duchene for McAvoy 1-for-1 and McAvoy gets Hishon-ed the next week then we have zero to show for it in a year. At least Spooner+1st would be something to salvage the deal in that case.

The same thing could happen to Duchene too. They could trade a significant piece of their future for one guy and then something happens to him they are screwed. The pluses in getting a high end NHL player like Duchene shouldn't be what's holding it back. Probably contract, cap and figuring out that side is a big piece and giving up a large part of their future is a big deal too.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Dont watch the Avs trade talk video on NHL.com . Guy admits to not watching the Avs play yet tells us his thoughts about how nobody including mack should be untouchable and doesn't see why Duchene is tradeable but Mack isn't.

Wish I could get paid to talk about stuff I know nothing about lol

Edit :It was from a couple weeks back so idk how i missed it, but wow is it hard to listen too lol.

Last edited:

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I think Duchene gets undervalued across the board, including this one at times. We all know how dynamic he can be, but over time he's also become a very responsible player. I'm not saying he's ROR-level on defense, but compare their numbers and suddenly Duchene's higher offensive upside makes the gap a lot bigger than most would realize or admit.
If he's traded, it has to be for something worth it. Not a couple of promises and a pick. I think Sakic knows this, and is prepared to wait for however long it takes, if at all. And that's what he should do. There is zero reason to get rid of Duchene unless you are certain that he returns a piece that is of equal value. And that value is higher than many would assume.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Dont watch the Avs trade talk video on NHL.com . Guy admits to not watching the Avs play yet tells us his thoughts about how nobody including mack should be untouchable and doesn't see why Duchene is tradeable but Mack isn't.

Wish I could get paid to talk about stuff I know nothing about lol

Edit :It was from a couple weeks back so idk how i missed it, but wow is it hard to listen too lol.

Guy would fit right in on the trade boards.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If we want McAvoy bad enough for him to be a centerpiece of a Duchene deal, it kind of annoys me we didn't just draft him. I guess hindsight is 20/20, but we could have pretty easily had them both. Instead of worrying about just a defender panning out, we're going to have to worry about Jost and whoever we trade for.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I think Duchene gets undervalued across the board, including this one at times. We all know how dynamic he can be, but over time he's also become a very responsible player. I'm not saying he's ROR-level on defense, but compare their numbers and suddenly Duchene's higher offensive upside makes the gap a lot bigger than most would realize or admit.
If he's traded, it has to be for something worth it. Not a couple of promises and a pick. I think Sakic knows this, and is prepared to wait for however long it takes, if at all. And that's what he should do. There is zero reason to get rid of Duchene unless you are certain that he returns a piece that is of equal value. And that value is higher than many would assume.

EXACTLY mate. Well said. I just feel (even from our own passionate fans here) we are heavily under valuing our own players.

Just imagine the damage Dutchy would do in Carolina. Imagine Landy in Bostin - hooly dooly.

If we can get a top 2 pick, then acquire one top 2 line winger through free agency, we are sweet.

On defense, Zadorov is coming of age. Johnson comes back. Barrie hopefully gets fit. This Barberio looks pretty solid, and seems completely satisfactory on that last pairing. Bigras comes along. And see if we can snap up a good free agent.

No trades necessary. I actually hope we come home kicking ass (not too much) gotta keep that top pick iin order hahaha

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Interesting that Montreal wasn't mentioned among those teams. I really feel like they will be the ones to make it happen.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The same thing could happen to Duchene too. They could trade a significant piece of their future for one guy and then something happens to him they are screwed. The pluses in getting a high end NHL player like Duchene shouldn't be what's holding it back. Probably contract, cap and figuring out that side is a big piece and giving up a large part of their future is a big deal too.

Unless, I'm not understanding what you meant to say here, I think it would ABSOLUTELY be the pluses that's the sticking point for a deal for Duchene, especially for the Bruins.

Sakic would be irresponsible to trade Duchene one-for-one for Charles McAvoy and Bruins management would be stupid not to jump on that deal when you consider the depth of young talent that they have on D. (Zboril, Lauzon, Lindgren, Grzelcyk, etc...) McAvoy is talented but there are defensemen of his ilk available for drafting just about every year in the 1st round.

Like I've said before, there are no sure things in hockey with prospects. Brandon Gormley won Best D-man at the WJC too. (I remember some posters actually suggesting we traded ROR to Phoenix one for one for Gormley back then)

I've personally watched live a young D-Man who was drafted by my favourite team (9th overall and before Joe Sakic) break Bobby Orr's OHL record for points by a defenseman only to never fully put it together at the NHL level. (RIP Bryan Fogarty)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1725

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't imagine if both parties have agreed on the main piece that the hold up is what B prospect to include. I mean I get that's part of what makes a negotiation but that a deal will not happen because Bruins wouldn't part with DeBrusk. It seems everyone understands a first is to be included here, don't see anyone from media to fans refuting that. So no I don't think these GMs have agreed to let their top D prospect go yet.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So Sakic will break and trade Duchene for Beaulieu + Desharnais + Audette + 3rd?

For me personally, it would have to be :

Sergachev, Scherbak, 1st Rd Pick 2017 + rights to Will Bitten (+ Cap Dump - their choice of : Plekanec or Desharnais)

if I had to make a deal with the Habs by the Trade Deadline.

I think there are likely to be different options and players that are not available right now that might be at the draft.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I can't imagine if both parties have agreed on the main piece that the hold up is what B prospect to include. I mean I get that's part of what makes a negotiation but that a deal will not happen because Bruins wouldn't part with DeBrusk. It seems everyone understands a first is to be included here, don't see anyone from media to fans refuting that. So no I don't think these GMs have agreed to let their top D prospect go yet.

Ok I see what you meant. I don't think a "B" prospect would be the holdup but rather all of the other pieces that would need to be included in a deal for Duchene that would make Sakic say...'Ok'.

If I'm the Avs and I'm looking at a purely futures package with the Bruins, I'm asking for :

McAvoy, Zboril, Senyshyn and a 1st.

That's 4 'high-end pieces' and obviously, the Bruins are *chuckling* at that asking price but if I'm Joe Sakic why the hell am I accepting anything less for a proven star player like Duchene??? We've seen RENTALS go for a solid prospect + a 1st round pick. This isn't a rentals deal.

I understand the Bruins not wanting to 'gut' their future to acquire Duchene but from an Avs point of view, Sakic shouldn't be accepting McAvoy + Bjork + 1st rd pick.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

It could be that Sakic isn't just looking for a B prospect to include. He could be shooting to the moon right now and maybe even looking for an add in who is already an impact player.

I know we hate Dreger and all but all the other insiders are talking about Sakic's demands being sky high. If it's Montreal I don't think Sakic is asking for Sergachev + 1st + McCarron/Scherbak and the argument is between McCarron or Scherbak. I think he's probably asking for something outrageous like a Brendan Gallagher on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad