Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
So the Carolina dream is dead based on a second game of no Carolina scouts. :( Boston LA seem to be fighting each other for Lando, and mtl is always there correct?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Given the doubts that have crept in behind Pickard's performance so far this year I don't see any chance that Canes give up one of our premier prospects like Gautier, Roy, or Kuokkanen (a somewhat still under the radar Finnish kid). Maybe a Zykov or Saarela, but not the top tier. Speaking of high picks, we can throw in a #12 OA pick, one Ryan Murphy if you like.

We can do you one better! We can throw in former 11th overall pick, Duncan Siemens.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Since you are here LL, just curious on thoughts about trading Staal last deadline? You guys had a shot st playoffs last year, even slim it was there. How do you feel about him doing so well in Minny? Are people conflicted about not keeping him? I'm sure many are happy it got you Gauthier but just wondering more how you view the move itself.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Given the doubts that have crept in behind Pickard's performance so far this year I don't see any chance that Canes give up one of our premier prospects like Gautier, Roy, or Kuokkanen (a somewhat still under the radar Finnish kid). Maybe a Zykov or Saarela, but not the top tier. Speaking of high picks, we can throw in a #12 OA pick, one Ryan Murphy if you like.

Understandable. But I don't think Picks would come cheap unless they have already decided on protecting Varly (which I highly doubt).

Avs will need a goalie themselves rather sooner than later.

We have a very promising one in the AHL that is still a few years away.

Until he is ready we might as well roll with Pickard / Varly (assuming that he won't get picked by LV) and see what we have got with them.

Both looked very promising a year (or two in Varlys case) ago and are still rather (or very young in case of Picks) young goalies. Treating them as throw ins in a trade with little value does not make sense for the Avs IMO. Would be selling very low. Especially if we have to take back Lack (which we probably would have to in any deal).

Don't think that the Avs have much interest in Murphy.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ugg, scouting means so so little.

You can ignore it, you know?

And while I agree with the sentiment, to a certain degree, teams also don't usually send out Sr. Pro Scouts or Director of Player Personnel to games. So it adds a little to the speculation.

I mean seriously...you're in a thread about rumors/speculation. Plus, we know the Avs and Buffalo scouted each other extensively before the O'Reilly trade, and that the Devils stalked the Rampage before what ultimately become the Gelinas deal. So sometimes they can help point us in a direction.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Neither Varly nor Pickard have played to their potential. The team around them is terrible but they haven't helped at times either. I still wouldn't make Pickard a throw-in in some of these deals though. He's much better than he has shown so there's no need to give him away at his lowest value.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I don't think a team really needs to scout Duchene if they have seen him play once before.

He doesn't have an injury he is coming back from. He isn't a developing prospect. He isn't an aging vet. He is a mid-20s forward who is good enough to make team Canada, has 2.5 years left on his deal, and is playing on one of the worst modern Era NHL teams. Teams know what they are getting with him.

Iginla on the other hand... if he was going to potentially use up the rest of my team's deadline cap space, I'd want to be damn sure he can do anything that helps the team before committing to him as my rental.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
We can do you one better! We can throw in former 11th overall pick, Duncan Siemens.
touche! :D

Since you are here LL, just curious on thoughts about trading Staal last deadline? You guys had a shot st playoffs last year, even slim it was there. How do you feel about him doing so well in Minny? Are people conflicted about not keeping him? I'm sure many are happy it got you Gauthier but just wondering more how you view the move itself.
E Staal had to go, for the sake of both parties. To stay he'd have had to take a huge paycut and probably give up the captaincy, as well. Most of us couldn't see that working out, and it was time to move in a younger direction anyways.

Playoffs chances weren't good enough to pass on getting something in return for Eric; Francis made the right move imo (see my posts above about his success in collecting picks/ prospects). But we're all glad E is thriving in Minnesota, and most of us think the fresh start probably played a key part in that happening.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe they are scouting the Avs heavily because Sakic said everyone is for sale except MacKinnon, Rantanen, Jost.

Although that pretty much leaves only few players i'd want from Colorado.

Duchene
Landeskog
Barrie
EJ

Who else would other teams want from the Avs?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not really sure what TSN's list means. RNH and Barrie were the top two in the offseason for weeks and nothing happened.

I think judging Landeskog on only this season would be a pretty dumb way to go but if teams really are concerned and his value is low because of it, there's no need to move him.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
TSN's list is just them trying to create hype, I don't think it's based on any sort of insider information on who is most likely to be moved first. They put one out every year with as many big names as they can manage.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Not sure where this constant Sakic bashing is coming from. The only REAL move he made was the ROR move and Zadorov (the main piece to that deal) has done well and most of the rest of that deal is still in the minors/junior.

Not so.

- Berra for 2nd, contract extension.
- Mid-30s Stuart for 2nd, contract extension.
- 3 years $15M for late-30s Iginla.
- 3 years $15M for mid-30s Beauchemin.
- 5 years, $24M for Soderberg.
- 2016 deadline trade for 2nd + a defensive prospect that (if he were still with the Avs) would be touted as a sure fire future top 4 defenseman.
- Signed Colborne.

I get that Sakic/Roy was a two-headed beast. But in the end, Sakic is in charge. It's his responsibility. Putting the responsibility for these moves at Roy's feet and letting Sakic off the hook just doesn't cut it.

I don't have much faith in, or respect for, Joe Sakic as a NHL GM. He's done terribly. The results speak for themselves. More than anything else, it seems that he simply cannot properly assess his own roster. One small analysis sums it all up for me:

Top 7 defensemen in 2013 (when Sakic took over) - Cap Hit = $14M
Johnson
Barrie
Hejda
Hunwick
Zanon
O'Brien
Elliott

Top 7 defensemen today - Cap Hit = $22M
Johnson
Barrie
Zadorov
Beauchemin
Tyutin
Wiercioch
Gelinas

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Sakic's lack of aggressiveness is a big issue. As you said, the only real big move he has made was the ROR deal which was a forced hand. Sakic has been afraid to make a real move to shore up the defense for years.

As for the other moves... things have been more Sakic than Roy. Absolving Sakic because Roy was here is weird to me. Roy had a lot of influence and he would have done things differently, but that doesn't mean better or worse necessarily. Things would be a lot different if Sakic pulled the trigger on a few Roy moves though.

And your proof for this is?? You are entitled to your opinion but where are you basing it?

Roy clearly said during his press conference when he was hired he dreamed of adding a guy like Iginla (I guess he thought it would be the "Bourque" moment all over again) and his negotiation of the Beauchemin contract has also been speculated. Obviously Sakic still signed off on those moves but after that, he started doing things differently and there was a clear disconnect in the front office.

To me, if Sakic was still on board with going for it, that's where we'd have signed a UFA like Radulov and went for it again. The interview prior to the draft last year said it all for me..."I'll tell you what I'm NOT going to do and that's sign another veteran with term, I can tell you that". (I haven't been able to find that video but it happened) He said it with such contempt as if he had been convinced to do it, with horrible results.

As far as if Sakic has done some of the moves Roy wanted to do, well maybe things would have worked out differently and we'd be in a different spot right now. We also may not be in last place looking at a very good draft pick coming up to replace some of the holes left behind by some of those moves.

I agree with everyone else, the next 6 months will tell us everything we need to know.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Patience, my young padawan.

The Canes want Duchene, that's my understanding. They want him, badly. I am pretty reasonably confident that they will place a higher value on obtaining his services before the deadline (as that means they'll have him for a minimum of 2 playoff runs...and likely more).

There's plenty of time for something to get worked out (and, likewise, it's still possible that nothing happens until the offseason).

I don't trust you after the Radulov talk. :laugh:

I kid. I really appreciate your apparent insight on potential player acquisitions/trades.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Boston really seems to want Landeskog. The only issue is if the avs trade Landeskog and duchene for future D help they have nothing up front.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't trust you after the Radulov talk. :laugh:

I kid. I really appreciate your apparent insight on potential player acquisitions/trades.

That's fair, and deserved. The info I had came from two independent avenues, and pointed towards the Avs...but it is what it is.

I'm not saying that something is 100% going to happen. I DO believe that Carolina is exceptionally interested in him and wants him. We'll have to see if anything happens (remember, lots of trade talk happens during the year and even leading up to the deadline...but it's far more likely that a trade falls apart rather than gets completed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad