Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not like there's anything we can do about it anyway. We only have two options, follow and support the team or don't. If you are that much against him then find something else to occupy your time is really the bottom line.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm biaised here because I badly wanted the AVS to draft him but I've a feeling that McKeown will be included as a 2nd piece if we deal with Carolina. He's exactly the kind of dman that we need in our pipeline. Could become what Elliot should have been.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Can a blockbuster happen yet!??

Probably have to endure this at least another month. Unless a team like Carolina steps up and offers the Avs exactly what they're looking for. They'll probably hold out and try to negotiate it down though.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Probably have to endure this at least another month. Unless a team like Carolina steps up and offers the Avs exactly what they're looking for. They'll probably hold out and try to negotiate it down though.

Canes have a brutal stretch of 4 games coming up.

They will face the BJs 2x, the Caps and the Pens.

I think we have to hope for losses if we want to see a trade soon. Teams usually don't make trades when they are on a 4 game winning streak like the Canes currently are.

If they lose 3 of those games, they might see their playoff hopes slipping away a bit and more willing to pull the trigger.

I don' t think this type of deal is necessarily a deadline deal. The race is so competitive, that every extra game you can get out of Duchene/Landeskog should be pretty valuable for their new team.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You're rambling on, but now that it is clear you're talking nonsense it doesn't matter?

Ok so what was your point? Because Colborne and Tyutin were signed before he hired Bednar, it's not Sakic's fault?

My point is good GM's know what type of players the team needs for a type of coach the team has, and the style they wanna play.

If you pick up players like Colborne and Tyutin who aren't fast, then hire a coach whos style isn't fast pace hockey, but rather grinding, defensive style.

Roy and Sakic went from fast, young, smaller team, to bigger, slower, because they said they wanted more size and grit to compete with teams like the Kings, Ducks, etc...and they went from that to slower, older, and players who are big but don't even have grit.

I'm not rambling pal, if you put little effort and use your brain you'll see what i'm talking about

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Can a blockbuster happen yet!??

Patience, my young padawan.

The Canes want Duchene, that's my understanding. They want him, badly. I am pretty reasonably confident that they will place a higher value on obtaining his services before the deadline (as that means they'll have him for a minimum of 2 playoff runs...and likely more).

There's plenty of time for something to get worked out (and, likewise, it's still possible that nothing happens until the offseason).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Patience, my young padawan.

The Canes want Duchene, that's my understanding. They want him, badly. I am pretty reasonably confident that they will place a higher value on obtaining his services before the deadline (as that means they'll have him for a minimum of 2 playoff runs...and likely more).

There's plenty of time for something to get worked out (and, likewise, it's still possible that nothing happens until the offseason).

do you mean 3 PO-runs, assuming this year and the last two years of his contract?

not to nitpick but maybe i'm reading it wrong.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Duchene/Landeskog trade doesn't have to happen by July 2, either.
There's time to try to negotiate the best deal possible.

(of course, like most everyone else, I'd like to see us get a great deal sooner than later)

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
After the all star break and up to the days before the deadline are the primetime for these big moves to happen. So, we still have a way to go before.

But, you never know.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Canes aren't going to downgrade their current roster mid-season. Duchene for Hainifn is clearly a net upgrade for us short term, hopefully meets your needs long term. But right now there's no way Francis gives up a significant roster player like Lindholm without at least an equivalent player coming back. We're just too competitive right now and a playoff spot means to much to the org at this time.

If you want a mega deal it's going to have to be Hanifin plus picks/ prime prospects or wait till the offseason.

What's the deal with Pickard? Our most urgent need is a solid 2nd goalie before a brutal March schedule kicks in. But Pickard looks like he got absolutely lit up in 5 of his last 6 games . . .

Last edited:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Canes aren't going to downgrade their current roster mid-season. Duchene for Hainifn is a net upgrade for us short term, hopefully meets your needs long term. But right now there's no way Francis gives up a significant roster player like Lindholm without at least an equivalent player coming back. We're just too competitive right now and a playoff spot means to much to the org at this time.

If you want a mega deal it's going to have to be Hanifin plus picks/ prime prospects or wait till the offseason.

What's the deal with Pickard? Our most urgent need is a solid 2nd goalie before a brutal March schedule kicks in. But Pickard looks like he got absolutely lit up in 5 of his last 6 games . . .

That makes sense. Thanks for your input in this thread, you and the other visiting Canes fans have been for the most part very rational in your thinking - especially visiting another team's thread where you have to put up with some less than unbiased thinking. But I think more than most you guys understand that in order to get a guy like Duchene you are going to have to give up something that really, really hurts too. That's how it works. Whether it's Hanifin or whomever. Like, genuinely hurts giving up not like some Montreal fan with crocodile tears about how hard it will be to part with Juulsen or some Boston fan trying to emphasize how DeBrusk and Joe Morrow and Zboril are all first rounders and how it's outrageous and considerate of them to even consider taking on one of our poor core pieces for so many high draftees.

I believe losing a talent like Hanifin will genuinely hurt for you all if a deal like that goes down but in the end it could satisfy both franchises and fanbases. Hope the lines of communication between Sakic and Francis remain open until deadline day...and maybe beyond.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Canes aren't going to downgrade their current roster mid-season. Duchene for Hainifn is clearly a net upgrade for us short term, hopefully meets your needs long term. But right now there's no way Francis gives up a significant roster player like Lindholm without at least an equivalent player coming back. We're just too competitive right now and a playoff spot means to much to the org at this time.

Pickard has looked great as a backup but not very good when he had to take over as #1 once Varly went down.

He is not ready for that workload yet.

It also does not exactly help to play behind what may be the worst blueline the NHL has seen in recent history.

The confidence level of our goalies in general right now is obviously not very high and it is showing.

They know that the game is lost when they make one mistake.

I can absolutely see something like Duchene + Pickard for Hanifin + going down.

But if we have to give up our young goalie that still has a slight chance of being our number #1 down the road, the Canes will probably have to add quite a bit to Hanifin.

Will probably cost you one of Roy/Gauthier plus a 2nd/3rd or something like that if you want Picks included (who was a 2nd on his own).

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Pickard has looked great as a backup but not very good when he had to take over as #1 once Varly went down.

It also does not exactly help to play behind what may be the worst blueline the NHL has seen in recent history.

The confidence level of our goalies in general right now is obviously not very high and it is showing.

But if we have to give up our young goalie that still has a slight chance of being our number #1 down the road, the Canes will probably have to add quite a bit to Hanifin.

Will probably cost you one of Roy/Gauthier plus a 2nd/3rd or something like that if you want Picks included (who was a 2nd on his own).

He also has some pretty big flaws that the league is starting to expose.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't expect any big trade for another couple of weeks, but I guess a team involved in a playoff battle might get antsy.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He also has some pretty big flaws that the league is starting to expose.

Oh he is no world beater right now.
And I personally don't believe that he will be our GOTF so I would have no problems with trading him (others might).

But he has already shown that he can be a pretty good backup on a mediocre team and he is still only 24 and signed for another year on a good contract.

The Canes would obviously not carry 3 goalies so we would have to take Lack and his bad contract (almost 3M next year ) in return.

I think that absolutely justifies demanding one of Roy/Gauthier + in return.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've been thinking more that goaltending is a function of team performance. It's not about facing a lot of shots or high danger chances in a bad team but the mental, focus, competitive aspect. I just dont think a goalie can bring their best on a bad team. Pickard and Varly are better than they've shown. I know it's a chicken/egg debate here and also like everyone else are going to look better on a better team with something to play for. I also think the Avs are going to protect Varly. I just see no indications that they are ready to move on from him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

This is why I think it's a lot more likely that any secondary piece would be a forward prospect like Gauthier or Roy.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For anyone who's interested, here are the teams that will have scouts at tonight's Avs game:

MTL NYR BOS LAK MIN AZ

(gotten from AJ, I'm sure BSN will post it soon)

[EDIT]

The Bruins have John Ferguson, Executive Director of Player Personnel/Providence Bruins GM; the Kings have Rob Laird (Sr. Pro Scout)...

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Given the doubts that must have crept in behind Pickard's performance so far this year I don't see any chance that Canes give up a premier prospect like Gautier, Roy, or Kuokkanen (a somewhat still under the radar Finnish kid). We'd roll the dice with Leighton before that. Maybe a Zykov or Saarela, but not the top tier. Speaking of high picks, we can throw in a #12 OA pick, one Ryan Murphy if you like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad