Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I don't see any way we're good next year, as there will be too much young blood breaking into the NHL. I think we may not be a last place team, but no matter what I do after even one core player trade, and without a couple top free-agent signings. I can't come up with a roster that I think makes the playoffs. It has some sexy names, and very promising magic beans, but far too little experience.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Second line won't be that good. Neither will the third. Fourth could actually be alright. Second and third d pairings would be terrible. One more top pick. They might turn it around the year after.

Why won't that 2nd line be good? I'd switch Patrick to center because he's a better two way center than Duchene and that should be a good line.

The d however would still be crap

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I don't see any way we're good next year, as there will be too much young blood breaking into the NHL. I think we may not be a last place team, but no matter what I do after even one core player trade, and without a couple top free-agent signings. I can't come up with a roster that I think makes the playoffs. It has some sexy names, and very promising magic beans, but far too little experience.

I don't see the playoffs, but I could see a team that looks like this playing like a playoff team over the back half of the season. If Varly comes back in prime form and carries the team through the first half of the season, then there's a chance. But that's the only way there's even a chance.

Jost - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Greer - Soderberg - Compher
Landy - *Patrick* - Comeau
Nieto - McCarron - UFA/PTO (G.Bork?)

Zadorov - EJ
Bigras - Barrie
Serg - Mironov

Varly
Picks
Martin

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't see the playoffs, but I could see a team that looks like this playing like a playoff team over the back half of the season. If Varly comes back in prime form and carries the team through the first half of the season, then there's a chance. But that's the only way there's even a chance.

Jost - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Greer - Soderberg - Compher
Landy - *Patrick* - Comeau
Nieto - McCarron - UFA/PTO (G.Bork?)

Zadorov - EJ
Bigras - Barrie
Serg - Mironov

Varly
Picks
Martin

Soderberg as our #2 says it all... I'd love to believe he could be a shutdown C like last season with those two wingers, but I've got zero faith in him right now. Hopefully that can change when they finally bring the kids up this season. If they do that is...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean which is the 2nd line and which is the third will be decided by our pick's readiness. If it's Patrick he could push the Soderberg line back to the third line by season's end, at least with Landy attached to his hip. As for Soda, I think playing with those two will energize him after the deadline; so that filling the 2C job (and a PP spot) I'd expect him to rebound.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I mean which is the 2nd line and which is the third will be decided by our pick's readiness. If it's Patrick he could push the Soderberg line back to the third line by season's end, at least with Landy attached to his hip. As for Soda, I think playing with those two will energize him after the deadline; so that filling the 2C job (and a PP spot) I'd expect him to rebound.

True I could see that, but also Bigras looks like another potential weak spot, and I'm one of his biggest supporters. I hate that he is in the AHL right now while we watch some of these clowns run around the ice.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Second line won't be that good. Neither will the third. Fourth could actually be alright. Second and third d pairings would be terrible. One more top pick. They might turn it around the year after.

You're right of coarse. I guess I was just trying to pull a worst case scenario out of the kitty. In my dreamworld, this is what I hope would happen (and it would come down to Sakic skills) as unlikely as it would be:

Drafts / Trades
X Acquire T J Oshie (massive one year deal like Hawks did to start with Hossa)
X Acquire Kevin Shattenkirk (if bridges aren't burnt, but have read we are an option - as unlikely as that is)
X Trade Barrie++ for Drouin. They need backend productive help BIG
X Trade Landeskog for Carlo + Senyshyn
X Trade Duchene for Hanifin + Roy

X Lose Varlamov for draft picks - Martin full time backup
X Lose Soderberg & Colborne if possible (even buyout given team below will be cheap given rookie statuses)
X Draft Nolan Patrick
X Lose Beauchemin if possible

X Fire: Billington, Army Farrish & Pratt - bring in an "experienced" NHL coach as assistant to Bednar
X Allaire - Either go fulltime, or fired for a full time goalie coach

Exciting TEAM as a basis to build around:

Drouin - Mackinnon - Oshie (possibly one of the best top NHL lines - imagine the speed)
Jost - Patrick - Rantanen (2 strong two way players & Rants. Rants / Patrick are big bodies as well)
Greer - Roy - Senyshyn (Big bodies, full of energy, but with plenty of skill)
Nieto - Compher - Comeau (Gritty, two way players - has to be all heart / energy)

Hanifin - Johnson (Hanifin is green, but EJ would be a fine teacher)
Carlo - Shattenkirk (Carlo stay at home weapon, Shattenkirk plays PP, and measured time - proper 1/4 back)
Zadorov - Bigras (played VERY well as a pair when on Roy's team last year before Z was sent to SAR)

Pickard (hopefully with a much more mobile D, he will look more comfortable)
Martin

That team would be VERY green, but very exciting. Columbus are the youngest team in the NHL and look at them. There would be teething problems, but man, that would be so exciting.

Coaches: Bednar + Experienced NHL proven coach + Heimlich
Front Office: Sakic GM + Macfarland Assistant GM (why do we HAVE 2 assistants right now?) & Grahame

That's a team Bednar could put his footprint on. They are all coachable. They are all young (a demographic Bednar excels at). That team would destroy our current team in my opinion.

That said, no chance in Hades all of the above happens. Hahaha..I just love to dream about my passion.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
Another way to think about the scout in Ontario...is it possible that this scout lives in California and is looking at the other teams rolling through? It was Milwaukee at San Jose that lead to the trade to bring Girard in.

Colorado doesn't have a normal California scout. They've had scouts at the last 5 games. Last week's scout was different than this week's scout.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Like I said Ladue sounds like a very solid prospect...

...now just imagine if Landeskog (younger than Ladue) was playing in San Antonio. We'd have ourselves one very awesome prospect instead of this "declining" has-been. Duh. Man management really screwed up his value!

I'm perfectly fine that Kings fans value Ladue more than any of our aging riff raff blue light specials like Iginla and company but if he's involved in any Landeskog trade it is as a very minor addition to the main course. And I don't see a main course in that organization that aligns with what Joe has said publicly.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
You're right of coarse. I guess I was just trying to pull a worst case scenario out of the kitty. In my dreamworld, this is what I hope would happen (and it would come down to Sakic skills) as unlikely as it would be:

Drafts / Trades
X Acquire T J Oshie (massive one year deal like Hawks did to start with Hossa)
X Acquire Kevin Shattenkirk (if bridges aren't burnt, but have read we are an option - as unlikely as that is)
X Trade Barrie++ for Drouin. They need backend productive help BIG
X Trade Landeskog for Carlo + Senyshyn
X Trade Duchene for Hanifin + Roy

X Lose Varlamov for draft picks - Martin full time backup
X Lose Soderberg & Colborne if possible (even buyout given team below will be cheap given rookie statuses)
X Draft Nolan Patrick
X Lose Beauchemin if possible

X Fire: Billington, Army Farrish & Pratt - bring in an "experienced" NHL coach as assistant to Bednar
X Allaire - Either go fulltime, or fired for a full time goalie coach

Exciting TEAM as a basis to build around:

Drouin - Mackinnon - Oshie (possibly one of the best top NHL lines - imagine the speed)
Jost - Patrick - Rantanen (2 strong two way players & Rants. Rants / Patrick are big bodies as well)
Greer - Roy - Senyshyn (Big bodies, full of energy, but with plenty of skill)
Nieto - Compher - Comeau (Gritty, two way players - has to be all heart / energy)

Hanifin - Johnson (Hanifin is green, but EJ would be a fine teacher)
Carlo - Shattenkirk (Carlo stay at home weapon, Shattenkirk plays PP, and measured time - proper 1/4 back)
Zadorov - Bigras (played VERY well as a pair when on Roy's team last year before Z was sent to SAR)

Pickard (hopefully with a much more mobile D, he will look more comfortable)
Martin

That team would be VERY green, but very exciting. Columbus are the youngest team in the NHL and look at them. There would be teething problems, but man, that would be so exciting.

Coaches: Bednar + Experienced NHL proven coach + Heimlich
Front Office: Sakic GM + Macfarland Assistant GM (why do we HAVE 2 assistants right now?) & Grahame

That's a team Bednar could put his footprint on. They are all coachable. They are all young (a demographic Bednar excels at). That team would destroy our current team in my opinion.

That said, no chance in Hades all of the above happens. Hahaha..I just love to dream about my passion.

Hossa signed a 12 year deal with the Hawks. He signed for a year in Detroit after playing in Pittsburgh.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
LOL, John Hoven was on some radio podcast and said "Barring some unbelievable deal, like getting both players [Landeskog and Duchene], Paul LaDue is untouchable, that's what I'm being told..."

Get the **** outta here...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How good is this Ledue guy? Is it possible he's actually an amazing young D that's simply fallen under the radar. Maybe LA and Colorado had discussions on Landeskog and LA brought up Ladue which caused Sakic to laugh and say "common Dean". But then Dean came back and said "No Joe you need to watch this guy". So Sakic has been sending scouts to see if he's the real deal?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
How good is this Ledue guy? Is it possible he's actually an amazing young D that's simply fallen under the radar. Maybe LA and Colorado had discussions on Landeskog and LA brought up Ladue which caused Sakic to laugh and say "common Dean". But then Dean came back and said "No Joe you need to watch this guy". So Sakic has been sending scouts to see if he's the real deal?

I can't imagine GMs would be disrespectful about other teams prospects. I think it's pretty reasonable that all teams have prospect and pro assessments of all other teams in the league. You have to be up to date with other teams assets in order to be able to make decisions on trades and/or waivers.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I can't imagine GMs would be disrespectful about other teams prospects. I think it's pretty reasonable that all teams have prospect and pro assessments of all other teams in the league. You have to be up to date with other teams assets in order to be able to make decisions on trades and/or waivers.

Ladue started playing pro hockey 3 months ago. Not even in the NHL, it's the AHL. It would not at all be surprising for Sakic and the Avs staff to have very little knowledge of Paul Ladue and how he looks as a hockey player.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ladue started playing pro hockey 3 months ago. Not even in the NHL, it's the AHL. It would not at all be surprising for Sakic and the Avs staff to have very little knowledge of Paul Ladue and how he looks as a hockey player.

He played at North Dakota, so I'd find it hard to believe that there's not some level of assessment on him from the Avs staff (even just a bare-bones one).

I don't doubt that Hoven has some ties into the LA Kings management, but I think he's being used a bit here.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
LOL, John Hoven was on some radio podcast and said "Barring some unbelievable deal, like getting both players [Landeskog and Duchene], Paul LaDue is untouchable, that's what I'm being told..."

Get the **** outta here...

Sigh, I wish we had a 24-year-old playing in the AHL too...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He played at North Dakota, so I'd find it hard to believe that there's not some level of assessment on him from the Avs staff (even just a bare-bones one).

I don't doubt that Hoven has some ties into the LA Kings management, but I think he's being used a bit here.

Amateur scouts don't put much emphasis on players which are property of other teams. If Ladue stood out at ND he would likely have been noticed but still not followed. As you said he would have some bare boned looks at some capacity, but when you consider him as a main piece in a trade for Landeskog I feel positive the Avs would not have anywhere near the level of education him which they would need.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How good is this Ledue guy? Is it possible he's actually an amazing young D that's simply fallen under the radar

That's the main problem. He's not young.

From the article:
the 24-year-old, 6-1, 186-pound native of Grand Forks, Michigan

That's a bit skinny isn't it? Especially at 24.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Amateur scouts don't put much emphasis on players which are property of other teams. If Ladue stood out at ND he would likely have been noticed but still not followed. As you said he would have some bare boned looks at some capacity, but when you consider him as a main piece in a trade for Landeskog I feel positive the Avs would not have anywhere near the level of education him which they would need.

I don't think LaDue would be a main piece for Landeskog. Is it possible his name has come up in trade talks, and it has the Avs curious? Sure--that'd be one explanation to why the Avs have basically stalked the Reign the last couple of weeks. I just personally believe Hoven is being used here to get the Kings narrative out there--that LaDue is "untouchable and it'd probably have to be Landeskog AND Duchene to get him!" That to me is the Kings trying very hard to sell LaDue.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't think LaDue would be a main piece for Landeskog. Is it possible his name has come up in trade talks, and it has the Avs curious? Sure--that'd be one explanation to why the Avs have basically stalked the Reign the last couple of weeks. I just personally believe Hoven is being used here to get the Kings narrative out there--that LaDue is "untouchable and it'd probably have to be Landeskog AND Duchene to get him!" That to me is the Kings trying very hard to sell LaDue.

There's being used and there's being a monumental numbskull. The stuff he said that you posted is downright moronic to say the least, I don't think anyone with half a brain functioning would say that. LaDue would be an acceptable return for some of our rentals or as the 3rd most valuable piece in a deal for Landeskog/Duchene. I saw him a handful of time with Ontario and he's nothing special, he's even a far cry from a Bigras and if we traded Landeskog with Bigras coming back as the main piece I'd lose it.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

What is the purpose though. It's not like one media guy claiming a prospect as untouchable and whatnot is going to impact how Sakic negotiates a trade. All it really does is anger fans if you do trade the guy.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
There's being used and there's being a monumental numbskull. The stuff he said that you posted is downright moronic to say the least, I don't think anyone with half a brain functioning would say that. LaDue would be an acceptable return for some of our rentals or as the 3rd most valuable piece in a deal for Landeskog/Duchene. I saw him a handful of time with Ontario and he's nothing special, he's even a far cry from a Bigras and if we traded Landeskog with Bigras coming back as the main piece I'd lose it.

I think this is bang-on.

This is no different than if we signed Butcher and he came into camp in September and played very well and almost made the team and had a good start to his pro career in the AHL.

If he were any better than that or as good as they are suggesting, at 24 years old, he'd be on the Kings right now helping them improve in the standings. They could easily healthy scratch or bury Tom Gilbert in the AHL to make room if that were the case.

I think the Avs are watching him to determine if he's a decent return for Iginla instead of the conditional 2nd round pick that they'll probably end up getting instead or as the extra piece in a bigger deal as Ivan mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad