Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Again, they have no intention of upgrading. And honestly the only upgrading they should do is internally.

Nieto is really worth a shot. This is not about upgrading right now but about getting a player into the system that could actually be worth a damn...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do we get first shot in waivers? I don't see why we wouldn't grab Nieto for free

Yep. Avs have first priority.

IMO the only reason you wouldn't claim Nieto is if the towel is thrown in and they plan to have some call ups in the next 5 or so games. Nieto is a player that could rebound into a decent 3rd liner, but if he doesn't, he can be a good 4th line player here.

Again, they have no intention of upgrading. And honestly the only upgrading they should do is internally.

IMO Nieto has a better 3-5 year future than any forward in the AHL besides Greer and Compher. That makes the upgrade worth it.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

IMO the only reason you wouldn't claim Nieto is if the towel is thrown in and they plan to have some call ups in the next 5 or so games. Nieto is a player that could rebound into a decent 3rd liner, but if he doesn't, he can be a good 4th line player here.

You know what the Avs think of serviceable bottom-6 players though...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
LOL every day!!! I'm sorry, I love you all but I cant help but laugh when every day we need to claim the newest guy.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
LOL every day!!! I'm sorry, I love you all but I cant help but laugh when every day we need to claim the newest guy.

I did not want to claim Rattie.

But Nieto is different. He could fill a need for us.

Young, cheap and IMO pretty decent 3rd or atleast 4th line guy with plenty of speed.

Tell me we don't need one of those?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs first have to show they're willing to GET RID of players before they add any more. How many times, can anyone remember, has a team waived two veteran players in a single season and then did nothing once they cleared?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How is claiming Nieto and playing him over any one of the plethora of skating corpses we currently have a bad idea?

I did not want to claim Rattie.

But Nieto is different. He could fill a need for us.

Young, cheap and IMO pretty decent 3rd or atleast 4th line guy with plenty of speed.

Tell me we don't need one of those?

I never once said it's a bad idea. I'm laughing at the fact of every played put on waivers being a "must claim". Nieto may be better than many of the other guys waived in the past but it doesn't make it any less funny to me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I've only wanted a few... Mayfield, Andrighetto, Nieto... maybe another one or two. Most waiver players are not worth it, a few are.

The Avs first have to show they're willing to GET RID of players before they add any more. How many times, can anyone remember, has a team waived two veteran players in a single season and then did nothing once they cleared?

The Avs have 45 contracts and if Varly goes on IR (which he could and be back right away if needed)... 2 NHL roster spaces. They can add now and sell/demote later.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

IMO Nieto has a better 3-5 year future than any forward in the AHL besides Greer and Compher. That makes the upgrade worth it.

What are they going to do, keep a waiver claim for 3-5 years?

I'm not against seeing some new players on the team, I'm just saying it's not going to happen. They should have been moving out the corpses long ago. And they don't even have the roster space since they won't put Varly on IR. They won't even use LTIR on EJ. We have what we have, let's just hope they call some up from the AHL eventually. Gabriel Bourque should already be up if they had any intention about bringing life to the team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What are they going to do, keep a waiver claim for 3-5 years?

I'm not against seeing some new players on the team, I'm just saying it's not going to happen. They should have been moving out the corpses long ago. And they don't even have the roster space since they won't put Varly on IR. They won't even use LTIR on EJ. We have what we have, let's just hope they call some up from the AHL eventually. Gabriel Bourque should already be up if they had any intention about bringing life to the team.

Some waiver claims stick around teams. I'm not saying the Avs would keep him that long, but he has a better future than most of the 'upgrades' in SA. He just turned 24.

I'm not expecting it to happen (mostly because I think they will want to see Compher and Greer finish the season in roles).

They Avs have the roster space now with EJ on IR. The Avs have one available spot right now. Nieto > Bourque... by a good margin too.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Who is Michael Haley? And why is Nieto the one being waived over 30 year old 5'10 Michael Haley and his 7 points in 97 NHL games?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Who is Michael Haley? And why is Nieto the one being waived over 30 year old 5'10 Michael Haley and his 7 points in 97 NHL games?

Cause according to SJ fans he is their coaches favorite pet.

I think we know a thing or two about those...

The Avs have struggled to bring in quality bottom 6 guys for an eternity now.

We have first waiver priority, he is cheap and will be an RFA (aka cheap to re-sign if we want to) in the offseason.

I really don't see any legit reason why we should not claim him. He is worlds better than anything we have in the AHL aside from our top prospects.

If we are really serious about adressing our depth problems, passing on an opportunity like that is not very smart.

Do that for once instead of overpaying the yearly Colborne, please...

But knowing the Avs there is maybe a 5 % chance of this happening...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Some waiver claims stick around teams. I'm not saying the Avs would keep him that long, but he has a better future than most of the 'upgrades' in SA. He just turned 24.

I'm not expecting it to happen (mostly because I think they will want to see Compher and Greer finish the season in roles).

They Avs have the roster space now with EJ on IR. The Avs have one available spot right now. Nieto > Bourque... by a good margin too.

They have 1 F scratch, 1 D scratch and Varly. They could IR Varly, sure. But they could have IRed him and brought someone up a week ago. They shouldn't be doing waiver claims to replace callups, that's how the hopelessness starts to creep in when guys off the street get opportunities the guys in the minors aren't getting. They are also trying to save every penny of cap space too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They have 1 F scratch, 1 D scratch and Varly. They could IR Varly, sure. But they could have IRed him and brought someone up a week ago. They shouldn't be doing waiver claims to replace callups, that's how the hopelessness starts to creep in when guys off the street get opportunities the guys in the minors aren't getting.

You are correct... The NHL roster issue is minor though, and easily solved.

So no waiver claim should ever be made? The Avs have called up 7 players this year (6 'earning' it... excluding Smith there). They have rewarded everybody who deserves it, but Compher and Bigras who were injured when there was a good chance. Compher, Bigras, and Greer will very likely get their call ups after some moves are made next month.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Cause according to SJ fans he is their coaches favorite pet.

I think we know a thing or two about those...

The Avs have struggled to bring in quality bottom 6 guys for an eternity now.

We have first waiver priority, he is cheap and will be an RFA (aka cheap to re-sign if we want to) in the offseason.

I really don't see any legit reason why we should not claim him. He is worlds better than anything we have in the AHL aside from our top prospects.

If we are really serious about adressing our depth problems, passing on an opportunity like that is not very smart.

Do that for once instead of overpaying the yearly Colborne, please...

But knowing the Avs there is maybe a 5 % chance of this happening...

Cap space. adding Nieto adds more cap to this team. It's not like we are going to claim him and send another forward down.

We aren't contending or anything but cap space is very important. The more we can bank by the deadline the more flexibility we have in regards to taking on cap dumps and retaining salary.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
They have 1 F scratch, 1 D scratch and Varly. They could IR Varly, sure. But they could have IRed him and brought someone up a week ago. They shouldn't be doing waiver claims to replace callups, that's how the hopelessness starts to creep in when guys off the street get opportunities the guys in the minors aren't getting. They are also trying to save every penny of cap space too.

The only "valid" argument is that they don't want to spend the money.

I hope as hell that they will for once really sell at the deadline so there will be plenty of spots open for callups and right now the atmosphere in SA is probably better anyways than in Denver.

The simple truth is that Nieto could have a future as valuable depth player for the Avs.
Guys like Henley or Bourque will never be that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Cap space. adding Nieto adds more cap to this team. It's not like we are going to claim him and send another forward down.

We aren't contending or anything but cap space is very important. The more we can bank by the deadline the more flexibility we have in regards to taking on cap dumps and retaining salary.

The cap space is solved once Smith goes back down. Their contracts are similar. The issue there is how long is Varly still out? A week or so of banking isn't going to change the amount that much.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The cap space is solved once Smith goes back down. Their contracts are similar. The issue there is how long is Varly still out? A week or so of banking isn't going to change the amount that much.

The Avs have rolled with 21 and 22 man rosters for deecent stints this year. I'm not convinced another roster player comes up once Smith goes down. If Nieto is added I don't think it's as simple as him swapping contract places with Smith. I think it's more likely that it's simply another contract added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad