Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs have rolled with 21 and 22 man rosters for deecent stints this year. I'm not convinced another roster player comes up once Smith goes down. If Nieto is added I don't think it's as simple as him swapping contract places with Smith. I think it's more likely that it's simply another contract added.

d0de92870895f69cf06b70ec15dd6d3d89b0fef62144a2c0743102d8e11755bb.jpg

The Avs have, but they are banking at a rate that should get them to ~3m now... with Smith. Meaning they could still take back a bunch of salary the rental moves. $3m more coming in than going out on the deadline with only Iggy, Mitchell, Tyutin, Bourque, and maybe Gelinas to sell isn't much. The last 4 make such little money that most teams won't even need the Avs to bring back or retain anything. Also assumes that all 5 could be sold (I only think 2 or 3 will be able to be offloaded).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Henchy. Can you tell me how much of an impact specific contracts have if they are banked on a daily basis.

For example, I'm wondering with the Avs week off coming would it be possible for them to waive Mitchell again along with Gelinas(not sure if he needs to be waived) and send both down as "paper transactions" for a week for a way to bank some deadline cap. I'm not as good at this thing as you are and I'm not sure if that's even allowed or if it will make much difference to the overall number since it's just for a week.

If it's allowed and can actually give us some savings I wonder if it's something they'd look into. Both can relax with their families in Denver and not actually report to SA. I'm guessing there's something in the CBA to prevent it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Henchy. Can you tell me how much of an impact specific contracts have if they are banked on a daily basis.

For example, I'm wondering with the Avs week off coming would it be possible for them to waive Mitchell again along with Gelinas(not sure if he needs to be waived) and send both down as "paper transactions" for a week for a way to bank some deadline cap. I'm not as good at this thing as you are and I'm not sure if that's even allowed or if it will make much difference to the overall number since it's just for a week.

If it's allowed and can actually give us some savings I wonder if it's something they'd look into. Both can relax with their families in Denver and not actually report to SA. I'm guessing there's something in the CBA to prevent it.

The Avs could do that, and the CBA would allow it (Philly did a lot of paper transaction like a few years ago). Basically the cap hit is spread out over 180 days. So 1/180th per day. With Gelinas/Mitchell/any player making under 950k only gets 1/180 x 950k... so ~5,278k per day of banking.

Smith would be one that would make sense there. I expect him to get sent down after the Isles game and if need be, called back up before Anaheim.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
The more I read Sharks fans reactions the more I'm up for us putting in a claim for Nieto. He's fast (something we could really use), and he is good defensively (which would could also really use).

I agree, much more useful target than Rattie or Boucher. Not that he is any great shakes but...

Edit...wow Sharks fans are pissed. This is the one waiver wire guy so far this year I'll be annoyed if we don't take a stab at.

LOL...Boosh got claimed again by the Canucks this time. And Rattie to Carolina. Fine by me. Saves our glorious waiver position for Nieto.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Waiver claims are low risk moves. If it doesn't work out, just waive them/not qualify them. After all the bums Avs are stuck with, I don't see how you could object to gambling on someone that could potentially be a depth forward.

Even though Palushaj and Wagner didn't work out, it really did no long term damage to the franchise.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Waiver claims are low risk moves. If it doesn't work out, just waive them/not qualify them. After all the bums Avs are stuck with, I don't see how you could object to gambling on someone that could potentially be a depth forward.

Even though Palushaj and Wagner didn't work out, it really did no long term damage to the franchise.

Yeah but teams are getting waiver happy right now and you gotta pick your spot on who you want to take a low-risk gamble on.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Teams aren't getting waiver happy. They understand depth is important, they aren't doing well so they also realize that you need a change. It's pretty telling when a bunch of teams above us in the standings are making waiver claims of players better than our bottom six and meanwhile Sakic is still hiding in his hole.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Teams aren't getting waiver happy. They understand depth is important, they aren't doing well so they also realize that you need a change. It's pretty telling when a bunch of teams above us in the standings are making waiver claims of players better than our bottom six and meanwhile Sakic is still hiding in his hole.

It's telling indeed. It's telling that those teams are looking to improve their depth as that's very important on a playoff run while on the other side it's telling that our management aren't going to waste cap space and roster spaces on other team's wasted trash when it can be better used internally since this is obviously not going to be a winning year.

I haven't said this a lot lately, but I'm on Sakic's side here.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
It's telling indeed. It's telling that those teams are looking to improve their depth as that's very important on a playoff run while on the other side it's telling that our management aren't going to waste cap space and roster spaces on other team's wasted trash when it can be better used internally since this is obviously not going to be a winning year.

I haven't said this a lot lately, but I'm on Sakic's side here.

Exactly, there is not much that can be done to address the team this late in the game, so let's get to the deadline, move some of the vet contracts that we have and then start playing some of the kids in the AHL.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
While I'm onboard with Nieto (wasn't with Rattie) Nieto really would be much the same as what we could do with GBourque IMO.

I get the team banking as much space as possible for the deadline, but at some point they need to take a chance with these guys. just like having multiple mid and late picks when drafting, sometimes the fit just works and you get a surprise contributor.

as mentioned above, Wagner, Pajamas, and even Cliché were serviceable pick ups at the time (Cliché just far outlasted his stay).

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm much more on board with the idea of a Nieto claim than I was with a Rattie claim. At least Nieto has shown EVER that he was an NHL capable player, certainly more than Rattie ever has.

The way this season is going with the big club I'd rather guys like Greer, Compher, Bigras just play in SA for most of the season then bring them up pretty late once the grind of being on such a bad team isn't something that would weigh on them at all and instead would just very clearly be an opportunity to get some NHL seasoning.

Bring on a guy like Nieto gives you a little more roster flexibility to offload guys like Iggy, Comeau, etc if you can near the deadline along with other guys in SA like Bourque and Grimaldi and you can still keep your younger guys playing together in SA until late in the year as a primer for next season.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Many people seem to be of the idea that if we trade one or both of Duchene/Landy (hopefully just Dutchy) that we would be better off waiting till seasons end and trading around the draft/FA when more teams will have a better idea of where they're at and potentially will offer more.

Personally, I think we will get a better return at the deadline for a contender that really thinks Dutchy will put them over the top than waiting till the Summer. Someone like Montreal that is really going for it now with so many pieces getting older, I think will be willing to overpay to get Dutchy when they really have a chance to win it all this year. Maybe next year.

Thoughts? I really just want Sergachev, 1st, mediocre roster player, cap dump for Dutch.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think at the draft Sakic will be able to speak with more teams (more cap flexibility in the summer) about Duchene which is why people would prefer to wait. That may create more of a bidding war but that doesn't always mean you'll return more value. If a team like Montreal can make it work cap wise now they will probably be more likely to pay more right now with 100% assurance they'll have Duchene on their squad for 3 playoff runs instead of 2. The fact that they have DD who can go back the other way should make it doable for them now.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Many people seem to be of the idea that if we trade one or both of Duchene/Landy (hopefully just Dutchy) that we would be better off waiting till seasons end and trading around the draft/FA when more teams will have a better idea of where they're at and potentially will offer more.

Personally, I think we will get a better return at the deadline for a contender that really thinks Dutchy will put them over the top than waiting till the Summer. Someone like Montreal that is really going for it now with so many pieces getting older, I think will be willing to overpay to get Dutchy when they really have a chance to win it all this year. Maybe next year.

Thoughts? I really just want Sergachev, 1st, mediocre roster player, cap dump for Dutch.

Reeks of ROR 2.0

The O'Rielly package had the valid excuse of contract demands forcing Sakic's hand. If this is the package he gets for Duchene he should be fired.

Zolik37

#1 Nate Guenin fan
Aug 17, 2011

I hope they will try to do a 1 for 1 trade with Duchene, ideally with carolina for Hanifin (not sure if Carolina would do it though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca