Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I was at a restaurant earlier and saw TSN on a TV. Dreger was taking for at least 3-4 minutes, and they were showing highlights of Duchene and Landeskog and had their picture up. Did anyone from Canada catch that or hear about it? Was there anything new, or was it just crappy speculation?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I was at a restaurant earlier and saw TSN on a TV. Dreger was taking for at least 3-4 minutes, and they were showing highlights of Duchene and Landeskog and had their picture up. Did anyone from Canada catch that or hear about it? Was there anything new, or was it just crappy speculation?

Was it just highlights of the last leafs/Avs game. Watching that's hockey right now and they're showing highlights from that game as a prep for tonight.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Edit: Yeah, that's it. Nothing too interesting there at all, but thanks for posting it Risto.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Dreger says it may be time to make a move. There's been speculation for a year that Sakic may move a core player. Before the draft there were talks with at least one western conference team about Landeskog (Anaheim I assume since Dreger brought this up before)

Dreger says Sakic is the architect of this roster and needs to take some responsibility for the state this team is in right now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The reason no, but it embodies so many things that's wrong with this org it truly is a cherry on top of their futility. And trust me, I'd love to stop talking about it and forget it ever happened.

I think it somewhat embodies other moves but only in the sense that they're willing to move prospects or picks occasionally, and IMO that in and of itself is not really indicative of how they ended up where they are.

Them moving a few mid tier prospect or mid picks can be a problem but mostly when the player's they bring in don't help them. That's what really makes it a problem, and that's where the focus should be IMO. If more of the players that they brought in and kept helped them the way someone like Matthias for example did in his short time, they might have a decent team.

This to me is the root of the problem. Their inability to identify players that can help them. This includes their long line of crap defenseman, and poor depth players.

UFA's - Benoit, Guenin, and Holden.
Waivers - Cliche
Trades - Berra
Extensions - Mitchell for 3 years

UFA - Iginla, Redmond,
Trades - Brad Stuart, Jordan Caron
Extensions - Holden for three years. Stuart for 2 years before the season started.

UFA - Comeau
Waivers - Wagner, Bodnarchuk
Trades - Gormley, Freddie Hamilton, Gelinas

UFA - Wiercioch, Tyutin, Colborne

Add all this to prospects like Olver, Cumiskey, Heard, Hensick, Sgarbossa, Malone, Stollery, Elliott, Carey, and Hishon, that they tried to build with that just didn't work.

Plus trades to fill out their team for players that maybe weren't poor trade value, but included guys that just weren't that good like Talbot, Briere, Sarich, Tanguay, and now unfortunately Grigorenko.

Then we see how the problem just keeps compounding itself. Just bad all around, and rooted in an inability to identify good players.

You could probably add Beauchemin to that list of bad signings given how far his game has fallen off, even though I think he might have been the Avs best D last year.

If you go back to the previous regime you see similar moves. SOB, ROB, PAP, Palushaj, Mitchell, Zanon, Kobasew, Porter extensions to guys like Jones, Wilson, Arnason.

These are all players they thought they could build teams with, and they're all mediocre at best players. When you build a team with mediocre players and then just stop adding, thinking you can get by with them, you get a mediocre team.

They made the problem worse by drafting too may one dimensional players that didn't pan out instead of decent depth players. Plus trading away a couple 1st round picks in the last decade, and missing on a couple others, and that makes the problem even worse.

What you have with all those decisions combined, and all those guys on a team, is a perpetual group that needs some really high end players to carry the team.

Now we see why the core is in question. It's not that they're terrible players, or the root of the problem, they're just not quite good enough to carry all the dead weight. If you don't have good depth, you need really high end players at the top, and ones that can be relied upon consistently, game to game.

If you trade and sign for crap. Then you don't draft well enough to make up for it. Or vice versa. That's when you end up with a perpetually bad team going nowhere.

Just like how their core isn't quite good enough to carry all the dead weight, the organizations good decisions haven't been good enough to make up for all their bad ones.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Ahhh that new thread smell.

Hench: the new thread is not a Sticky.

Bestboy: please don't disparage people. Disagree with their points all day long, debate hard, but don't insult them personally. If you can't manage that, then please put me on ignore right here and now so I don't have to deal with you. Thanks.

The whole Boedker/Wood thing: I was disgusted with the move at the time, and my disgust was on target. The reason it keeps getting brought up perhaps, is that the same guy(s) is/are running the show, and we as fans really don't know if they get it yet. I get that some people believe it's beating a dead horse, but how do we really know there's not another one right around the corner?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

The old one has a Rumor prefix too, mods just sticky it then.

To Mystic MacK's list, wow, I know they don't have a lot of pull right now but boy have they done badly in a lot of player personnel decisions. Comeau's decent. Wiercioch I don't mind. Mitchell has always kinda frustrated folks but he's okay. Rest of the way it's just garbage for A LOT of years. No wonder they're still last place.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The old one has a Rumor prefix too, mods just sticky it then.

Ah, OK. :)

To Mystic MacK's list, wow, I know it's not a great they don't have a lot of pull right now but boy have they done badly in a lot of player personnel decisions. Comeau's decent. Wiercioch I don't mind. Mitchell has always kinda frustrated folks but he's okay. Rest of the way it's just garbage for A LOT of years. No wonder they're still last place.

Yeah, we could put the European free agents onto MacK's list also - Everberg, Rendulic, etc. A revolving door of mediocrity.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015

Bestboy: please don't disparage people. Disagree with their points all day long, debate hard, but don't insult them personally. If you can't manage that, then please put me on ignore right here and now so I don't have to deal with you. Thanks.

The whole Boedker/Wood thing: I was disgusted with the move at the time, and my disgust was on target. The reason it keeps getting brought up perhaps, is that the same guy(s) is/are running the show, and we as fans really don't know if they get it yet. I get that some people believe it's beating a dead horse, but how do we really know there's not another one right around the corner?

Guess what, the move happened and it's over. I applaud the office for trading away prospects for a chance to get in the playoffs last year. I disagree with your points, and I am over the beating of the dead horse. It's the same all the time. Stastny, O'Reilly, Barrie, Boedker...Blah blah blah. How would you fix the team?

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Dreger says it may be time to make a move. There's been speculation for a year that Sakic may move a core player. Before the draft there were talks with at least one western conference team about Landeskog (Anaheim I assume since Dreger brought this up before)

Dreger says Sakic is the architect of this roster and needs to take some responsibility for the state this team is in right now.

yup blames Sakicrap.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
I think it somewhat embodies other moves but only in the sense that they're willing to move prospects or picks occasionally, and IMO that in and of itself is not really indicative of how they ended up where they are.

Them moving a few mid tier prospect or mid picks can be a problem but mostly when the player's they bring in don't help them. That's what really makes it a problem, and that's where the focus should be IMO. If more of the players that they brought in and kept helped them the way someone like Matthias for example did in his short time, they might have a decent team.

This to me is the root of the problem. Their inability to identify players that can help them. This includes their long line of crap defenseman, and poor depth players.

UFA's - Benoit, Guenin, and Holden.
Waivers - Cliche
Trades - Berra
Extensions - Mitchell for 3 years

UFA - Iginla, Redmond,
Trades - Brad Stuart, Jordan Caron
Extensions - Holden for three years. Stuart for 2 years before the season started.

UFA - Comeau
Waivers - Wagner, Bodnarchuk
Trades - Gormley, Freddie Hamilton, Gelinas

UFA - Wiercioch, Tyutin, Colborne

Add all this to prospects like Olver, Cumiskey, Heard, Hensick, Sgarbossa, Malone, Stollery, Elliott, Carey, and Hishon, that they tried to build with that just didn't work.

Plus trades to fill out their team for players that maybe weren't poor trade value, but included guys that just weren't that good like Talbot, Briere, Sarich, Tanguay, and now unfortunately Grigorenko.

Then we see how the problem just keeps compounding itself. Just bad all around, and rooted in an inability to identify good players.

You could probably add Beauchemin to that list of bad signings given how far his game has fallen off, even though I think he might have been the Avs best D last year.

If you go back to the previous regime you see similar moves. SOB, ROB, PAP, Palushaj, Mitchell, Zanon, Kobasew, Porter extensions to guys like Jones, Wilson, Arnason.

These are all players they thought they could build teams with, and they're all mediocre at best players. When you build a team with mediocre players and then just stop adding, thinking you can get by with them, you get a mediocre team.

They made the problem worse by drafting too may one dimensional players that didn't pan out instead of decent depth players. Plus trading away a couple 1st round picks in the last decade, and missing on a couple others, and that makes the problem even worse.

What you have with all those decisions combined, and all those guys on a team, is a perpetual group that needs some really high end players to carry the team.

Now we see why the core is in question. It's not that they're terrible players, or the root of the problem, they're just not quite good enough to carry all the dead weight. If you don't have good depth, you need really high end players at the top, and ones that can be relied upon consistently, game to game.

If you trade and sign for crap. Then you don't draft well enough to make up for it. Or vice versa. That's when you end up with a perpetually bad team going nowhere.

Just like how their core isn't quite good enough to carry all the dead weight, the organizations good decisions haven't been good enough to make up for all their bad ones.

And yet, in 2013 we won the division.

In 2014, we barely missed the playoffs.

In 2015, we barely missed the playoffs.

In 14 and 15, the wheels fell off at the end of the season.

This is the first year since Sakic took over that we have looked really bad. Like Sacco bad. So those depth players you mentioned, while not great, were not some huge hinderance either. I mean, look at Nick Holden in New York. Now look at Tyson Barrie.... Are we really sure that it was Holden that was holding Barrie back? And to say we can't identify "good" players, it's hypocritical. Everyone talks about Rantanen, Jost, Greer, Meloche, Bigras, Zadorov, Compher, ROR, Morrison, and yet we can't identify talent? You can't have it both ways.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
This team will make the playoffs when they have acquired the right pieces... If it's me. I'm trying to get as many pieces to the puzzle I can. I'm not selling my future. With rentals. Even if they had made the playoffs. The front office knew they didn't have the fire power. I think I read somewhere the frei thinks everything is wrong... By and large I aggree

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
AJ said on the BSN podcast that Montreal was in talks with the Avs about Beauchemin, and that we should expect a youth mouvement in mid to late January

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
While I think the statement regarding TV was completely out of line and inaccurate, it would be nice if everyone was equally held accountable for being disparaging to others and their opinions. Perhaps then we'd have more posters willing to share and debate rather than just the same select group hashing through the same stuff.

I think the Avs will have acquired a new "core player" by game 40.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
[NHL2][/NHL2]wouldn't that go against what salic said about patience and letting the kids stew in the minors. Honest question.

As long as they wait until after I return from San Antonio ;) but seriously it's a happy medium between development and turning the page. NHL experience will be good for next year and if they do it as a group it's going to be pretty developmentally focused as it is.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Pfft i hate when analysts say stuff like that. Like you just want them to do
something just because. Like even though we are ...Horrible..we arent doing
anything unless its a huge deal.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
AJ said on the BSN podcast that Montreal was in talks with the Avs about Beauchemin, and that we should expect a youth mouvement in mid to late January

Please lord, I dont talk to you much but hear me out this one time, and make this happen.

I'm excited for late January now. If we could move Iginla, Bourque, Beauchemin, Tyutin, and Mitchell that would be fantastic. Get a 3rd(Iginla) 2nd(Bourque) 3rd(Beauch), 5th(Tyutin) and 7th(Mitchell) for next years draft. Call up Compher, Greer, Bigras, Siemens, and whoever.

Would finally be a point to watching this team play the last 1/3 of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille