Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
The Avs have a big decision ahead of them in the summer. Do they want to rebuild or keep doing what they are doing? It is not a proper rebuild if they keep the core, it just is not. Or they could just try to make the playoffs which to me does not make any damn sense.

I see that nearly everyone is wants to keep Landeskog but is that really the right decision? Right now he holds a lot of value despite his putrid stats. He is the captain, is 24, former 2nd overall pick etc. However, to me Landeskog is exactly the type of player that will regress quite a bit as becomes older. How good of a player will he realistically be in 6 years? My money is that he is a second line winger and because of that I would trade him as hes value is still high.

EJ and Varly also have to go. No sense in keeping aging core players on a bottom feeder.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I know the Wood trade hurts for a lot of people, but it is over... time to move on. This is coming from the guy who pumped his tires from the very beginning. Be happy the scouting staff saw somebody with talent and upside in the 3rd round, and with exception of this summer, he developed in the Avs' system. Yeah, he'd be nice to have right now, but it is over.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know the Wood trade hurts for a lot of people, but it is over... time to move on. This is coming from the guy who pumped his tires from the very beginning. Be happy the scouting staff saw somebody with talent and upside in the 3rd round, and with exception of this summer, he developed in the Avs' system. Yeah, he'd be nice to have right now, but it is over.

I know that's the right way to look at it, but it's tough lol. I'm a guy who was on board with the trade at the time because I thought it was a very small price to play for an increased shot at playing bonus hockey in the spring. As a guy who didn't mind the trade I get an ache in my stomach every time I hear Kyle Wood's name. I cant imagine how much it hurts the people who lost their mind on deadline day.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
The Avs have a big decision ahead of them in the summer. Do they want to rebuild or keep doing what they are doing? It is not a proper rebuild if they keep the core, it just is not. Or they could just try to make the playoffs which to me does not make any damn sense.

I see that nearly everyone is wants to keep Landeskog but is that really the right decision? Right now he holds a lot of value despite his putrid stats. He is the captain, is 24, former 2nd overall pick etc. However, to me Landeskog is exactly the type of player that will regress quite a bit as becomes older. How good of a player will he realistically be in 6 years? My money is that he is a second line winger and because of that I would trade him as hes value is still high.

EJ and Varly also have to go. No sense in keeping aging core players on a bottom feeder.

Best case scenario: they blow it up! But that is not happening.

Worst case scenario: they try to complement this core with another batch of UFAs to replace the one's that are leaving, thinking that they might get it right this time.

But my guess is that they will keep the core (maybe Barrie will be traded), and give the young players a shot next season.

They might dump a few guys at the deadline for extra picks (not sure how sucessful they will be). This plan will make a lot of fans happy and fits Sakic because it is very concervative.

If they are luck they get Patrick at the draft and that should help us in what i think is one of our weakest areas, it would make us more competitive next season, but probably still just a bubble team.

If there is no Patrick, then i'm afraid we could have another ugly season.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I asked when was the last time he was the #1 center of his own team, you replied pointing to his offensive production only and someone else pointed to his FO% (even though he was 3rd in total faceoffs taken on the team last year, and is 3rd again this year)

Both of you disregarded the role he is actually playing since the 2nd half of the 14-15 season.

But, like i said, my definition of a #1 centre differs from yours (and others) and i'm probably wrong.

I've been critical of this organization for the last 6 seasons or more, and i'm always wrong, always. Yet we once again are one of the worst teams in the league... go figure.

Another thing i'm learning is that the old saying that great players make the players around them better is NOT TRUE... BAD PLAYERS MAKE GREAT PLAYERS WORSE!

LESSON LEARNED!

So, I ask you to provide some sort of evidence to back up your statement and you proceed to go on a incoherent tirade. Well done.

Nobody, here is claiming you're wrong based on your assessment of the avs. I've been pretty critical of them too.

Duchene has made solid players into better players. He just can't turn water into wine and he get crucified for it? Iggy, Grigs,Martinsen and what ever plug gets slotted next to him are not NHL players. He can't turn them around.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Duchene has made solid players into better players. He just can't turn water into wine and he get crucified for it? Iggy, Grigs,Martinsen and what ever plug gets slotted next to him are not NHL players. He can't turn them around.

This is the myth that needs to die. Yeah he plays with those players, but the majority of the time he has had one or more of MacK, Landy, or Rants (and Boedker when they were both in the lineup). Duchene's most common linemate last season was MacK.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
Trade: Duchene, Landeskog, EJ, Barrie and Varly

Build around: Rantanen, Jost, Mack, Zadorov, Greer, Compher, Bigras, Meloche and Pickard

Trading our current core would get back several grade A prospects and high draft picks without any doubt, someone like Varly does not hold much value but the others do. Then add those assets with a few high picks at the next few draft years and the Avs would be in the best place they have been since the glory years. The only problem is that it would require management to accept that they need to suck intentionally for a few years and I am not sold that they will ever have the balls to do so. If they do wimp out and try to be competitive next year, they will miss out the top talent in the draft and the core will once again be a year older. Then 5 years down the line we will be in the same situation as now wondering what went wrong.

I could only see this happening if Sakic steps down or is fired. IMO, it would be lunacy to trust Joe to try to construct a brand new team considering the state of the current one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I can't imagine this team without Varly though. Can you imagine a scenario where the Avs don't have Varlamov from the time he was traded to now?

They probably would have made another move or signed somebody... so really hard to say. They could have been the team to first trade for Bishop. They could have signed scrubs and failed for more years.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Does St. Louis not have any healthy centres? I know they aren't in a good spot with them to begin with. Man I wish we had the assets or depth to try to move in for Pietrangelo or Parayko, not that they'd move either one but how great would that be.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
They probably would have made another move or signed somebody... so really hard to say. They could have been the team to first trade for Bishop. They could have signed scrubs and failed for more years.

We could've coughed up the first rounder and landed Jones.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I can't imagine this team without Varly though. Can you imagine a scenario where the Avs don't have Varlamov from the time he was traded to now?

They wouldn't have a competent goalie, but the point is that that move made them take a short-cut instead of taking the natural course, it also made the team rely on him more than they should. Had they stayed the course and signed some stop gap the going would be tougher than with Varly backing the team, but it would be better in the end IMHO. I realize some might disagree.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Frankly, I'm not sure what direction the Avs should go in. No offense but I've read enough assessments on here that were way off base or IMHO, overly dramatic, that I fear overreacting. And believe me, I'm very disgruntled with the team right now.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Frankly, I'm not sure what direction the Avs should go in. No offense but I've read enough assessments on here that were way off base or IMHO, overly dramatic, that I fear overreacting. And believe me, I'm very disgruntled with the team right now.

We shouldn't make a panic move. I'd like to see how this team looks all the cap space available next season, and having Jost and Nolan Patrick.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is the myth that needs to die. Yeah he plays with those players, but the majority of the time he has had one or more of MacK, Landy, or Rants (and Boedker when they were both in the lineup). Duchene's most common linemate last season was MacK.

Boedker had a cup of coffee with the avs and so has Ranta. Iggy has played the majority of his time with Duchene and has been Matt has been dragging his sorry ass for 3 years. Grigs too.

Duchene has played with Mack/Landy at times but it's not a myth that he's played long stretches with poor excuses for NHLers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland