Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Pastrnak does not make any sense for the Avs..

We would have to add quite a bit to Duchene for a winger. Does not make much sense from an Avs POV.

Only thing that could make sense is if Boston trades Pastrnak for a young, quality D and trade futures for Duchene. Too bad that Sakic won't do that.

I today listened to the BSN Portzline thing in full length and lets just say that I want Sakic fired but if the alternative would be AJ and Dater running the Avs, I might have to give him a lifetime extension...

Jesus...

Regardless of position we need another high powered offensive player. MacK is really it right now. I love Rantanen and Jost and Lando, but they are not exactly PPG types.

I want a potential top pair LHD more than anything, but at this point I just don't see that happening. If it's between a Dman like Murray or a winger like Pastrnak I'm going with the winger every single time. The level between the two is too far to ignore for position sake.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Regardless of position we need another high powered offensive player. MacK is really it right now. I love Rantanen and Jost and Lando, but they are not exactly PPG types.

I want a potential top pair LHD more than anything, but at this point I just don't see that happening. If it's between a Dman like Murray or a winger like Pastrnak I'm going with the winger every single time. The level between the two is too far to ignore for position sake.

The price wouldn't be nearly the same.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You clearly don't watch David Pastrnak...One of his best attributes is his work ethic. To illustrate him as a "one dimensional" winger like he's Jordan Eberle 2.0 is ridiculous. His shot is excellent, but he's every bit as good at playmaking. This isn't someone who floats around and waits for the puck - he's an incredibly exciting player to watch, he drives the play. To suggest that, at 21 years old, Pastrnak is going to settle in as a 55-60 points player "AT BEST," and be just a one way goal scorer, after literally just hitting 70 points, is crazy illogical talk. You basically took Pastrnak's great season at only 21, said "it's a fluke," downgraded him by 10-15 points (and you apparently think it's generous to only downgrade him that little since you said "at best"), and said that's probably what he's going to be from here on out. Landeskog isn't freakin Patrice Bergeron - he's a good two way player, but his non-offensive aspects of the game don't make up for the talent of Pastrnak. Your evaluation of what Pastrnak is...well, I don't even know how you justify that one. Joem has a completely fair argument about tying up money / investment in wingers, but I'm not spending more time on this one with you. Hopefully no poor Bruins fan wanders over here and sees post 875 and this.

Can you blame any Avs fan for feeling this way? That is pretty much exactly what happened to all of our core forwards, and now you can include Barrie in that as well. :help:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So tired of this Will Butcher guy. Go and be Kevin Montgomery already and leave me alone.

It's not getting quite as much attention as I thought it would, but yeah it's already to an annoying level. I just thought it would be much worse in the MSM because taking shots at Colorado is the in thing for all levels of MSM.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
It's not getting quite as much attention as I thought it would, but yeah it's already to an annoying level. I just thought it would be much worse in the MSM because taking shots at Colorado is the in thing for all levels of MSM.

Same. I thought for sure we would see some not so subtle sniping by Puck Daddy and TSN write-ups.

It's hard to be upset about mainstream criticism. This is a 48 point team that's the laughing stock of the NHL, it's inevitable and well deserved. I think they will have a massive turn around and be in the 75 to 85 pt conversation. But, until they actually do it, there's really no fuel to support that position. It's all futures and dead-weight subtraction (plus Varly health) that could all go wrong anyway.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pastrnak does not make any sense for the Avs..

We would have to add quite a bit to Duchene for a winger. Does not make much sense from an Avs POV.

Only thing that could make sense is if Boston trades Pastrnak for a young, quality D and trade futures for Duchene. Too bad that Sakic won't do that.

I today listened to the BSN Portzline thing in full length and lets just say that I want Sakic fired but if the alternative would be AJ and Dater running the Avs, I might have to give him a lifetime extension...

Jesus...

What? Pastrnak fills quite easily the teams 2nd biggest need we have.

He fits this team like a glove and would form a ridiculously lethal Top line along with Mack/Rantanen.

I'd honestly be pretty happy to move both Duchene and Landeskog for a deal centered around Pasta. And I wouldn't even need the + from Boston to be all that significant(2018 1st would do it, and a contract extension to Pasta in place for around ~6-6.5M).

A 21 Year old Pasta, 22 year old Mackinnon, and 21 year old Rantanen as our Top line for the next 5-10 years. *drools

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
People are absolutely frickin' nuts if they think adding David Pastrnak is a bad idea. There's a certain point where the price gets too high IMO, but to reject a player like that out of hand if he is indeed available is just plain stupid talk. The young man played at an near-elite level, and he's not far removed from his 21st birthday. If there was ever a guy to take a gamble on, it's him.

That all said, I think Boston will figure it out. If they don't they're the dumbest organization in sports.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The hype is real.

This appeared on my FB [french]

They call him "excellent defenseman" and say he has a "bright future in the NHL".

"Hopefully Bergevin will convince him to sign in Montreal so he can take over the left side in the future".

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Same. I thought for sure we would see some not so subtle sniping by Puck Daddy and TSN write-ups.

It's hard to be upset about mainstream criticism. This is a 48 point team that's the laughing stock of the NHL, it's inevitable and well deserved. I think they will have a massive turn around and be in the 75 to 85 pt conversation. But, until they actually do it, there's really no fuel to support that position. It's all futures and dead-weight subtraction (plus Varly health) that could all go wrong anyway.

I just don't get why they are not viewed similar to a Toronto or Buffalo going into the seasons they drafted Eichel and Matthews? I guess I should say I understand the MSM does not care about a small market team, unless it's negative of course. So why is that, because Sakic hasn't said they are rebuilding directly to Dreger?

If you let actions speak, they are tanking this year about as hard as Buffalo did going after McDavid.

They have three of their top six D slots left wide open to a collection of prospects, and a bottom pairing defender, as well as two of their top three center positions looking to be left to two rookies.

Does it get more obvious than that? I understand you can't tank for a specific player, but they are tanking for another top 4 pick fairly obviously IMO. Those teams were not talked about like they failed to do this massive shakeup that was supposed to change their fortunes in a positive way for the following season. I'm kind of sick of hearing about how Sakic should have whateverthefuk to be honest. Especially pertaining to the team and the 2017-18 season. He cleared the trash heap that he could without having to pay futures to get rid of a contract. I sure as hell don't want him paying futures to get rid of Soderberg or Colborne.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I just don't get why they are not viewed similar to a Toronto or Buffalo going into the seasons they drafted Eichel and Matthews? I guess I should say I understand the MSM does not care about a small market team, unless it's negative of course. So why is that, because Sakic hasn't said they are rebuilding directly to Dreger?

If you let actions speak, they are tanking this year about as hard as Buffalo did going after McDavid.

They have three of their top six D slots left wide open to a collection of prospects, and a bottom pairing defender, as well as two of their top three center positions looking to be left to two rookies.

Does it get more obvious than that? I understand you can't tank for a specific player, but they are tanking for another top 4 pick fairly obviously IMO. Those teams were not talked about like they failed to do this massive shakeup that was supposed to change their fortunes in a positive way for the following season. I'm kind of sick of hearing about how Sakic should have whateverthefuk to be honest. Especially pertaining to the team and the 2017-18 season. He cleared the trash heap that he could without having to pay futures to get rid of a contract. I sure as hell don't want him paying futures to get rid of Soderberg or Colborne.

Sakic apparently wanting a current top4 D kind of throws a wrench into the idea of tanking this year. If we fill that spot and Varly stays healthy and gives us just above average goaltending then we are probably picking outside the top10.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The hype is real.

This appeared on my FB [french]

They call him "excellent defenseman" and say he has a "bright future in the NHL".

"Hopefully Bergevin will convince him to sign in Montreal so he can take over the left side in the future".

Wow, the NHL is super slow right now. Everything about this article makes me laugh.

Butcher will be a 2nd pairing AHL guy this year, and will have to improve his game markedly to even have an impact at the NHL level down the road.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sakic apparently wanting a current top4 D kind of throws a wrench into the idea of tanking this year. If we fill that spot and Varly stays healthy and gives us just above average goaltending then we are probably picking outside the top10.

It depends on Varly also being exceptional as well as healthy. There is still two bottom pairing slots, and relying on Jost, Compher, and Zadorov that heavily. Then you have Bednar and the lack of goal scoring ability on the roster.

I think it's as close to tanking as this organization is prepared to get. You also have to remember that the players they've asked for are not exactly experienced lock top four guys either. Hanifin hasn't played consistently at a top four level yet. Guys like Chabot and Carlo? They turned down Hamonic apparently, and that is the only guy we know for a fact would give them that level of play. They also made no attempt to grab a second pairing #4 guy when they were flying everywhere for peanuts around the expansion draft.

Even if the team improves immensely on defense, and goal tending, we still have to score enough. I just don't see higher than maybe a #25ish finish even with that position filled.

Their situation is a bit different IMO because they are rebuilding on top of a failed rebuild. So expecting the same level of sell off that would normally kick off a rebuild isn't realistic IMO. No one really seems to want to use any other logic than spouting about how little was done. We can argue all day about how we got here, but I just didn't see a lot of moves this franchise was going to make this off-season to bring the roster back to respectability for the 17-18 season since the franchises future rests on the establishment of a whole new under 23 generation of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad