Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I hope to hell they don't go anywhere near the waiver wire. I don't care if they do a PTO or two just to see what's out there, but it's time to see what they have in guys like Duncan Siemens. They've tried so many failed stopgap measures to no avail, enough is enough.

And when it comes to forwards, they should be the ones doing the waiving, not the claim.

There's no reason to ignore the waiver wire in place of internal players if the internal ones aren't getting the job done. Siemens is an interesting one, I'd love to see if get a shot. But if a decent waiver defender shows up I'd be just as happy with them. I'm not sure what Lindholm, Mironov or Siemens have done to deserve a roster slot over say, Oleksiak, Harrington or Sproul if they get waived.

Also if Laughton, Raffl or Burmistrov get waived whose to say we should acquire them just because we have career AHLers in Grimaldi and Agozzino ready to go?

The Avs already gave roster spots to waiver players in Andrighetto, Nieto and Barberio... shouldn't rule out other waiver players that could be useful.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
There are lots of decent depth pickups on waivers each year, and especially good for the Avs since we lack depth and injuries are a thing. I hope they do snag a guy or two off waivers personally.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There's no reason to ignore the waiver wire in place of internal players if the internal ones aren't getting the job done. Siemens is an interesting one, I'd love to see if get a shot. But if a decent waiver defender shows up I'd be just as happy with them. I'm not sure what Lindholm, Mironov or Siemens have done to deserve a roster slot over say, Oleksiak, Harrington or Sproul if they get waived.

Also if Laughton, Raffl or Burmistrov get waived whose to say we should acquire them just because we have career AHLers in Grimaldi and Agozzino ready to go?

The Avs already gave roster spots to waiver players in Andrighetto, Nieto and Barberio... shouldn't rule out other waiver players that could be useful.

Ghetto wasn't a waiver pickup--the Avs traded for him (Martinsen went the other way). But yes, the other two were.

By no means should one ignore the waiver wire. One should always look at all available options to upgrade the roster. But I'm sick of the continual string of mediocre-to-bad stopgaps parading through here.

My point is, if the Avs really thought there was no chance whatsoever Duncan Siemens was NHL-caliber, they'd have cut him loose long ago. There was zero, absolutely ZERO reason not to call him up after the bottom dropped out in December. And while it's a ridiculously small sample size, he didn't look out of place during his oh-so-brief callup.

And I'm not sure why you're using Aggz and Grimaldi as your examples, if they end up being the callups either the Avs are banged up all to hell or the Rampage are. The first forward callup (assuming both Jost and Compher make the team out of camp) would be A.J. Greer (assuming he doesn't). The first defensive callup would likely be someone like Bigras, or Mironov, or even Lindholm if none of them make the team.

Those are all better options than what will likely be on the waiver wire here in a few weeks.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Watch, just because it's the Avalanche, Butcher is going to fix his skating, and somehow become a top four defender. The Avs will be crapped on for the next decade for letting him walk, and we'll have to hear it regularly from Toronto Maple Leaf fans after he signs there.

Edit : Oh and Chambers as well, if you haven't already gotten him to block you on twitter that is.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Ghetto wasn't a waiver pickup--the Avs traded for him (Martinsen went the other way). But yes, the other two were.

By no means should one ignore the waiver wire. One should always look at all available options to upgrade the roster. But I'm sick of the continual string of mediocre-to-bad stopgaps parading through here.

My point is, if the Avs really thought there was no chance whatsoever Duncan Siemens was NHL-caliber, they'd have cut him loose long ago. There was zero, absolutely ZERO reason not to call him up after the bottom dropped out in December. And while it's a ridiculously small sample size, he didn't look out of place during his oh-so-brief callup.

And I'm not sure why you're using Aggz and Grimaldi as your examples, if they end up being the callups either the Avs are banged up all to hell or the Rampage are. The first forward callup (assuming both Jost and Compher make the team out of camp) would be A.J. Greer (assuming he doesn't). The first defensive callup would likely be someone like Bigras, or Mironov, or even Lindholm if none of them make the team.

Those are all better options than what will likely be on the waiver wire here in a few weeks.

Well, Ghetto was on waivers not long before acquiring him and Marty was a waiver level player, so it's close enough.

I don't think the Avs signed Siemens thinking NHL games, I think they thought he was a known in the organization and would be good for the AHL if healthy. With a shot at NHL time. That's also why I bring up Agozzino and Grimaldi, the team isn't going to ask Greer to play 4th line minutes during an injury. They're going to bring in veterans to fill those slots. Waiver players are just as good if not better than those two.

Gotta take into account that if Jost, Greer, Compher and Bigras are all in the NHL then our AHL team has nothing left. I'd be surprised to see the Avs raid them that badly in a season where waiver players can fill a hole, let the kids keep developing and get some NHL time with injuries.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Obviously no factual information that proves it to be 100% accurate. But the fact that most hive his stats have trended down year after year after year would leave one to believe he's in somewhat of a decline.

I don't know if I agree with that, but I get that point is a debatable one.

But I wasn't questioning some decline. I was questioning the veracity of "big time health concerns" and "an injury ticking time bomb".

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah it's not a realistic way to build a hockey team. It's fine to fish the waiver wires throughout the year, but there's a reason why every player waived during training camps passes through and never gets claimed.

While you have dedicated members of the Colorado Avalanche organization fighting for the last spot or two on the roster while most cuts have already happened you aren't going to add one of the cuts from another team to add competition for the 6th/7th D position or similar forward role. That sets a horrible example for the guys you already set down and will **** off the guys who think they're close but get a curveball thrown at them last minute.

The Avs already look like a pathetic organization from the outside but I cant imagine the rep they'd get if they started pulling stunts like that. Unless somebody is waived who you are 100%, absolutely, no brainer positive will fill some type of roster role on the Avalanche much better than the remaining internal options you aren't going to claim somebody in the middle of training camp.

It's not any better to demoralize every single guy you have in the AHL working hard waiting for their chance when they see the team use a waiver wire pickup instead of one of them in the middle of the season.

The don't even have 40 contracts now and if that stands then they would have room to add a guy that teams always try to sneak down because other teams are healthy and happy with their roster. I don't really see it as much different than PTO guys who get brought into camp to take roster spots. Sure I'd prefer the we actually will use internal options strategy but if they are going to add then do it early and let the internal guys earn callups.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Watch, just because it's the Avalanche, Butcher is going to fix his skating, and somehow become a top four defender. The Avs will be crapped on for the next decade for letting him walk, and we'll have to hear it regularly from Toronto Maple Leaf fans after he signs there.

Edit : Oh and Chambers as well, if you haven't already gotten him to block you on twitter that is.

I fully expect him to be a NHLer now.

Whoever took over that account from Ryan must be either naive as hell, or is pretending to be out of some sick sense of humor. They've been promoting the trash all summer lol.

I'm sure there was an agreement to tweet that with them using the jersey like that. United has non stop to Calgary from here so that statement is a it silly.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
How about those Brian Lawton Pasta rumors? If only he could get a rumor right now and then.

That'd be a nice return for Barrie AND we'd get to talk about how we could've just drafted him instead of Conner Bleackley and not trade Tyson Barrie for him. Win-win.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How about those Brian Lawton Pasta rumors? If only he could get a rumor right now and then.

I'm not convinced that his Draisaitl/Colorado rumor was as far fetched as everyone made it seem. Had we landed Shattenkirk as a UFA a Duchene+Barrie for Draisaitl deal makes sense for both sides. Makes the Oilers and all-round better team now and prevents them from having to sign Leon to a contract they can't afford. Gives Colorado another stud down the middle and signing Shattenkirk doesn't leave us with any holes. In fact we upgrade two players.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would love pasta on this team. I doing Barrie gets it done but man stranger things have happened.

It would be very confusing for me as a fan though if Sakic is able to trade for Pasta before he is able to trade Duchene.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Probably would take Landeskog ++

Or Duchene.

Some of the returns they've taken on their players has been astounding. They don't have anything left to show from the Seguin deal, and they got precious little for Dougie Hamilton. If there is actual fire with this smoke and Joe Sakic isn't burning up the phone lines RIGHT NOW I want him to turn in his resignation tomorrow.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
How about a mega-deal:

To Boston: Duchene, Landy, Bigras

To Colorado: Pastrnak, McAvoy, Heinen, 1st, Cap Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad