Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think part of the reason pundits love to speculate about Avs players is because the organization never says anything, so it's a safe team to talk about. No sources that will debunk or confirm.

McKenzie has been talking about Duchene and Barrie for three years now. He'll probably be right at some point and get credit for calling it.

I also wonder if it being hard to get info from Avs annoys some of them and that's the reason they enjoy stirring things up with constant rumors and now putting MacKinnon on the trade bait list when it's obvious he won't be traded.

Generally speaking, I think you're right (I think Dreger does this all the time) but this time around I think McKenzie is probably on to something and he's just not blowing smoke.

It's funny, after the season came to an end, I started working on an 'off-season plan' for the Avs and what I would do if I was GM. I was going to post it here but got caught up doing a bunch of other stuff and I don't have much free time anymore but anyways...basically, it was this :

1) Release Tim Army - Just need someone new to run the PP (done)
2) Buy out #32 - I still believe this needs to happen...and I think it will
3) Re-Sign Goloubef to a 1 year - 2way deal (to protect Barberio) *not sure if this will happen, depends on returns from trades.
4) Re-Sign Zadorov to a long-term deal (I like the way he's progressing - I would give him the Josi deal 7 years - $4M per year)
5) Trade Duchene prior to the expansion draft - (being rumored right now) As I've been saying for the past 6 months, this will be the best opportunity to get a great return as teams are analyzing their expansion draft scenarios. I expect Duchene to be moved between the end of the Cup Finals (between June 5th and June 14th) and the day where teams have to send in their protection lists (June 17th)...that's when he'll be traded...so sit tight, make some popcorn and let's hope for the best. :)

In my scenario, I have Duchene going to the Islanders for Hamonic + 1st + Barzal and we'd add Will Butcher or something but it's possible that it might even be a bigger trade...I could see the Avs adding Pickard and I could see them protecting Picks instead of Greiss since he's pretty much a known career backup who's unlikely to get selected by Vegas anyways.

(go to Cap Friendly's expansion draft tool NYI Page to see how screwed the Islanders are with the expansion draft - https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft)

5) Trade Barrie at the Entry Draft - (being rumored right now) I don't know many teams that have a protection slot that's actually open that they'd want to use on a player they just traded for. It's not impossible but I think the more likely scenario is the Avs protecting Barrie and then trading him at the draft. I would LOVE for the Avs to move him to Dallas for #3 overall (and I don't think the Stars could get a much better deal than that from other teams especially since they are rumored to be wanting a d-man).

In my scenario, I have him being moved for Drouin even if we have to add a good piece like Bigras that has apparently fallen out of favor with management for some unknown reason but I'm not certain that happens. I do think Barrie is moved out though. It's not that he's a bad d-man, he's very good at what he does but it's just a bad fit for us, right now. The D-Men that are going to play big minutes on this team need to be able to defend better than Barrie has shown to be able to do. On a team with a stronger base (Tampa Bay) he'd probably look amazing.

6) Trade Joe Colborne back to Calgary for Lance Bouma - Gives Calgary a player that fit in with them a hell of a lot better than he does with us. We get a real 4th line player that won't put up points but should be a decent option on the forecheck. The money is about the same and they both have 1 year remaining on their contracts. - It's more of a "let's get this guy out of here for another guy who's NOT Joe Colborne" type of situation rather than a "hey, let's acquire Lance Bouma".

7) Trade Blake Comeau to Boston for Jimmy Hayes - Same kind of situation...practically the same money and term with 1 year left. We're trading for a player that's "not Blake Comeau" just to switch it all around. Hayes could bounce back and have a decent year, who knows. I'm just sick of Blake Comeau and his 'macho head-games'. :laugh:

In my scenario, the Golden Knights take an unprotected Soderberg. Now a lot of people will suggest that this is wishful thinking and that there is no way that this is going to happen. I just don't know how many top-6 forwards are actually going to be available for Vegas and prior to last season, Soderberg was essentially a top-6 forward for 3 straight seasons. They also need to get to the salary cap floor. We'll see what happens.

That in a nutshell would be my off-season plan. Obviously, all players that are set to be released, would be (Malkin, Tyutin, Weircioch, R.Bourque etc...) and I wouldn't be bringing anyone back. Grigorenko I'm on the fence about him...I don't care if he is brought back as long as it's ONLY a 1 year deal.

In my analysis of this team, the players that need to be moved out (because of various reasons) for different assets are Barrie and Duchene, which is now what's rumored to be happening. I'm not expecting ALL of these moves specifically to happen but I would love it if we turned the roster over significantly to change the mindset in that dressing room.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Am i foolish to think that out of the three rumored players, Barrie, should get the highest return?

Id rank them

1-Barrie
2-Landy
3-Duchene

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What did they do every year after they bottomed out? If they actually play the kids and Varly isn't crippled it's not going to take much. But make no mistake 80 points isn't any semblance of "good", it's just enough to get up the illusion of competitive. They had 80 points the year before with pretty much the same roster. I'm not saying expect like it's an expectation but it's a probability.

But that's just it. If they play the kids and if the kids can actually handle the NHL already and if Varly is actually back in top form and they can hit the 80+ point mark, this team probably isn't all that far away from being competitive.

But that's way to many ifs to expect to actually happen. Not to mention that guys like Soderberg, Landeskog, Barrie, etc. all have to be better next year as well. On top of all the Ifs coming to fruition.

As it is I dont see anyway this team cracks 70 points again. Not unless the purge out all of the bad current depth players and replace them with kids/better depth players.

Just not enough talent on the roster. And even less talent when Duchene gets traded for a futures based package.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I'll never forget how good Barrie looked in those playoffs against Minny. He was absolutely taking over until he got Cooked.

He may not be great defensively, but I just see him as the type of guy who elevates during important games.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Kind of blows my mind that MacKinnon is basically the same age as Leon Draisaitl and Sam Reinhart. Two months apart.

For those losing patience on him, remember he just barely old enough for the 2013 draft.

Just to add to this, Draisaitl and Reinhart aren't public enemy #1 to the competition either. MacKinnon is most likely the player other teams put their top lines against. What he did last year was, IMO, impressive as a 21 year old.

In my scenario, I have Duchene going to the Islanders for Hamonic + 1st + Barzal and we'd add Will Butcher or something but it's possible that it might even be a bigger trade...I could see the Avs adding Pickard and I could see them protecting Picks instead of Greiss since he's pretty much a known career backup who's unlikely to get selected by Vegas anyways.

Maybe things have changed but

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Good. Hamonic is a fantastic #3 on a winning team, or a perfect #2 behind a star #1 (in a Marc Methot kind of way). He'd help us but he's not the guy this org needs right now.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Good. Hamonic is a fantastic #3 on a winning team, or a perfect #2 behind a star #1 (in a Marc Methot kind of way). He'd help us but he's not the guy this org needs right now.

Yeah I agree, I really don't want Hamonic in a Duchene deal. I'd take Murray way before Hamonic.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Per CBC, Chris Tanev is available. Don't know why.

He has been rumored to be available for a while now. Vancouver want the #3OA and Tanev's style would be perfect for Dallas but he's RHD and Dallas only need LHD's apparently. Too bad.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lavoie seems to be the only reporter the org feeds anything to so that's why I kinda take it as more than just "Duchene likely to be traded this summer" filler all the insiders are doing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Where is that from?

Whatever channel he speaks at during intermission

How do I know? Someone DMed me. It's not a big deal but if they want to come post about it they can. It wasn't like a secret or anything but I'll keep who it is private since it was a DM. I thought I'd ask since I figured someone here was watching tonight on French tv, no?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Hamonic is a fantastic defenseman and would have been a great partner for Zadorov.

But who needs actual top-4 defensemen when you can just dumpster dive for guys like Tyutin, Wiercioch, Barbeiro, Guenin, Benoit, Holden, Bodnarchuck, Gormley, etc etc.

Why Sakic is being so picky in adding any sort of quality defenseman is beyond me. I'm sure the + in that deal would have been pretty good too.

How many years has his management team been saying they need good defenseman? And all they've managed to add is Zadorov. Despite having the assets to do so, instead they waste second round picks on Berra, Stuart and Boedker instead of Boychuck, Stone or Marincin types.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
That's a bit of an overreaction dude. Hamonic is already 26 and plays on the right side. He's not exactly the perfect fit, even if we did trade Barrie. No one is saying it's Hamonic or nothing. It'd be stupid to go with him just because he's the first top 4 D offered. IMO, there could and most likely will be better fits offered than Hamonic.

Also I'm not quite sure the plus would be that good in that situation. No way their giving up Barzal. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if NYI offered a meh package and got all offended because Sakic waited until the last minute to decline.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
i have a questions for Avs fans like me. Some team have problem with a salary cap like
Isles and Bluejacket.
Sakic can keep 50% of Duchene salary for increase his value ans receive a better offer?

CDH + Strome or Barzal + first round - Duchene(50%) and with Barzal in the deal avs take a cap dump.

Murray + PLD - Duchene(50%) + second round 2017(32)

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
That's a bit of an overreaction dude. Hamonic is already 26 and plays on the right side. He's not exactly the perfect fit, even if we did trade Barrie. No one is saying it's Hamonic or nothing. It'd be stupid to go with him just because he's the first top 4 D offered. IMO, there could and most likely will be better fits offered than Hamonic.

Also I'm not quite sure the plus would be that good in that situation. No way their giving up Barzal. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if NYI offered a meh package and got all offended because Sakic waited until the last minute to decline.

The point is that there have been offers on the table that Sakic has refused to pull the trigger on while preaching about how they need good young defensemen and how they're hard to get. There's a reason that other GMs got annoyed with him for offering exactly what he was asking for and being strung along until the last minute at the deadline and it isn't because they were trying to leak info and put pressure on him since this happened after the deadline.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
i have a questions for Avs fans like me. Some team have problem with a salary cap like
Isles and Bluejacket.
Sakic can keep 50% of Duchene salary for increase his value ans receive a better offer?

CDH + Strome or Barzal + first round - Duchene(50%) and with Barzal in the deal avs take a cap dump.

Murray + PLD - Duchene(50%) + second round 2017(32)

It would certainly increase his trade value and the number of teams interested. I just don't see it happening. It's basically throwing away $6.25m dollars. Avs don't do that type of thing. Honestly I could only see a team like Toronto or Montreal doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad