Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Assuming a 1st was coming back in a package for Duchene, would you prefer it to be '17 or '18? Say, Montreal's, for example...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Assuming a 1st was coming back in a package for Duchene, would you prefer it to be '17 or '18? Say, Montreal's, for example...

2017. The notion that this draft is weak is ridiculous. The top end talent isn't great but the depth is there. It's nearly impossible to gauge the value of deeper picks anyway.

A late first this year or a late first next year? Give me the one coming in 3 weeks. Montreal's draft pick isn't going to get us Dahlin.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
2017. The notion that this draft is weak is ridiculous. The top end talent isn't great but the depth is there. It's nearly impossible to gauge the value of deeper picks anyway.

A late first this year or a late first next year? Give me the one coming in 3 weeks. Montreal's draft pick isn't going to get us Dahlin.

I'd want 18 as next years draft is loaded with d-men where this year is more of a forward and depth draft. I'd prefer a Jett Woo over a Nicolas Hague/Callan Foote but I wouldn't complain if we had to "settle" for Foote :nod:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'm so against trading Tyson Barrie. I hate that it's going to happen.

I'm not. I just don't think his point totals match his actual play and value. A lot of nights you wonder how he even ends up on the score sheet.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
2018 would be my preference, but if the other team improves and the choice is lower it might not matter. The benefit is the team gets worse which is less likely to avoid giving he AVs the higher pick.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm not. I just don't think his point totals match his actual play and value. A lot of nights you wonder how he even ends up on the score sheet.

I don't think his point totals match just how good he is offensively. I think he's capable of 60-65 points in an adequate system on a good pp.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We just had the worst NHL season in 20 years and we own just two of the first 93 picks in this draft. It blows my mind that people would rather gain 2018 picks because some of the top end players look better at 16/17 years of age.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't love Barrie, but I don't dislike him. I think if he's traded to a team that can shelter him properly we'll look like fools to the media, per usual.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Also we don't have the luxury to be able to wait more years to draft more prospects. We need them to develop and join the AVS ASAP so we can build a team before the year 2050.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don't see Carolina being able to take on $11M more in salary a year. I'm not even sure they can take on $6M more in salary.

Carolina has tons of cap space to work with. Even if they overpay their RFAs who need extending over the next two years they should be able to afford 11M.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Also we don't have the luxury to be able to wait more years to draft more prospects. We need them to develop and join the AVS ASAP so we can build a team before the year 2050.

Why not?

That's the kind of mentality that got us into this mess in the first place.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It really makes sense for both teams when you look at it objectively. They get Duchene until PLD is ready and we get a 23 years old LHD, already top 4 capable, with top pairing potential. They'd probably throw in their 1st this year as well and a forward prospect and call it a day.

I'd be completely ok with Murray, 1st, + for Duchene if Carolina and Montreal don't offer up what we want. Murray is a good top 4 guy and we really need more 1st round picks.

I'm so against trading Tyson Barrie. I hate that it's going to happen.

I 50/50 on this one. If we can land Drouin, I'm all in. If it's just for picks, no way. Last night on Insider Trading they mentioned he could be had for a package of high picks, but during the WC they said it had to be a 'hockey trade' so I don't know what the hell is going on there.

If we're getting a first from Montreal it's because they're getting Duchene, so I'm expecting their 2018 first to be lower than their 2017. I guess it all comes down to do you think the bottom of the first round in 2018 will be stronger than this years.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I don't love Barrie, but I don't dislike him. I think if he's traded to a team that can shelter him properly we'll look like fools to the media, per usual.

Anyone that gets traded from this burning rubbish heap is going to look better on their new team.

There's no point pining over lost players playing better the following year because if they weren't cutting it here, they weren't just going to magically turn it around if they had stayed.

A new environment, coach, system and linemates/ice time go a long way to player performance and right now this team is severely lacking inmost of those key aspects.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Anyone that gets traded from this burning rubbish heap is going to look better on their new team.

We should all be preparing ourselves for round 2, and possibly round 3, of 'oh my gawd I can't believe they traded this guy! Sakic suuuuuuuxs, the aves got fleeeeeced'

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Barrie on an average team will light it up. The guy is a point machine, but lacks defensive ability. He also does not fit in well with Bednar's defensive system. If we trade him to a decent to above average team, he could lead the NHL defense in points.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I still believe that a Carolina has the best trade assets for us. There are so many great combinations that they can provide that we need

Bean: is that LHD PMD PPQB that we don't have any of in our farm system. If Barrie is moved out then we have absolutely zero players like this. He's also AHL bound next year so it will only be a 1 to 2 year wait for him

Fleury: is likely NHL ready now or in 1 year at the latest. His appeal is his size and defensive ability to go along with good skating. I don't think he will provide much offensively but I could see him fitting well with Barrie as the defensive D of the pairing

12th overall: this pick is the best 1st I feel we could get for MD. It's at a great spot if unexpectedly one of Makar or Liljegren fall. But it also sets us up on being able to first select any of the next tier D like Valimaki or Foote

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
If we trade Duchene for Murray, that + better be huge. Murray has been disappointing and add on that he has been injured in 4 of the past 5 years during critical development years. I am not a fan at all. It will be a huge mistake.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Carolina has tons of cap space to work with. Even if they overpay their RFAs who need extending over the next two years they should be able to afford 11M.

Money and cap space are two different things. I can't see Carolina taking on another $11m either.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

IMO the roughly 15-30 range (to me it drops off around 12-13) in this draft mostly blows.

Very few prospects available that I like much better than those in the 31-45 range and overall not very exciting.

2018 IMO looks to be more like 2015 where you will be able to land Chabot or Barzal quality prospect up until maybe even the first 20ish picks.

It is such an easy choice it is not even funny. Especially considering that a better prospect usually arrives a year or two ahead of the worse prospect anyways.

And considering that 2018 is simply way, way better when it comes to Dmen than 2017 and the Avs kind of need those, I don't even have to think twice about it.

Really dont want any more 2017 1st round picks unless they come really cheap or are top10 picks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad