Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yetti090

Jul 1, 2014
Manchester, England
In response to:
"No offense but, good god that is a miserable offseason.

1. Duchene will get moved, I'd say the likelihood is around 90%. Move him to NYI for de Hann or Hamonic+prospect/pick or if Carolina is willing to bite Hanifin+prospect/pick

2. Beauchemin buyout needs to happen, but it's not going to. So just be prepared for that.

3. The likelihood of Soderberg moving is like less than 5%, we're pretty much screwed with that contract.

4. Youth does need to be valued over vets. But that doesn't mean just play anyone and everyone. Jost, Compher, Greer and Bigras are your youth movement for the year, very outside chance (less than 5% chance) of #4 pick if they absolutely impress at training camp. Guys like Nantel, Boikov and Geertsen are not making an NHL roster, hell they are in the ECHL right now they aren't jumping straight to the NHL from there.

5. Take a look at some UFAs. No big names and stupid contracts. There are some UFAs that can help, that won't break the bank. Some targets should be Del Zotto, Kuemper (especially if we lose Pickard to expansion), Gagner, Bonino (#1 target IMO)

Start next season:

Rantanen-MacK-Ghetto
Landy-Jost-Compher
Greer-Bonino-Nieto
Comeau-Soderberg-Colborne (let the 3 amigos rot on the 4th line with 5mins a night)

Duchene trade-EJ
Zadorov-Barrie
Del Zotto-Beauchemin (he'll be back can almost guarantee it)
Barberio

Mironov-Bigras (top pair AHL, over the course of the season both should get NHL looks)
Lindholm

Varly
Kuemper

Still not great, but should be better with our #4 pick, Meloche, Morrison, Beaudin waiting in the wings down the road."

No offense taken. I agree with some of your points
1. It is very unlikely that Soda is going anywhere (hence why I said expose and pray).
2. At some point, you need to see what guys like Bigras are made of. Would not be surprised at all to see him up. As far as the other names mentioned, (Nantel, Meloche, Morrison, Beaudin, Boikov and Geertsen), I did not say they are Avs players. I think they need to be invited to camp and taken a look at to see where they are as the three ECHL guys showed good progress this past year as well as the other names there. I am actually excited about our pipe line for the first time in a long time.
3. I am not sure if anyone knows the value of dutch at this point. While I would love to see Hanafin + for Dutch...don't see that happening.
4. No way Mironov signed here to be in the AHL. He is starting up with the Avs. I understand it is an 2way entry contract but he didn't leave the KHL to be a AHL player for the year. MAYBE he goes down for a 5-10 game stint to get used to the small ice, but no way is he staying there unless he really sucks as a NHL player.
5. I don't get signing any more plug and play UFA's. I'd be surprised if we sign anything out of a depth Dman (especially if Barberio doesn't get taken by Vegas), and some PTO guys like we did with the bourque's. LET THE YOUTH PLAY! And then next year we grab Andrei Svechnikov when we are a bottom 3 pick again hahaha.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mironov has the Euro assignment clause, which means if he's sent down then he can opt out and go home. His agent also said AHL wasn't part of the plan. So its unlikely he's not on the Avs.

Not saying they'll be on the Avs but I would not characterize Geertsen, Boikov and Nantel as ECHL guys. They are there as a means of extending their season as it's the only place in the org that offered playoffs. Considering they have a chance to win a championship then it was a good idea but also indicates the impact they have at that level.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Mironov has the Euro assignment clause, which means if he's sent down then he can opt out and go home. His agent also said AHL wasn't part of the plan. So its unlikely he's not on the Avs.

Not saying they'll be on the Avs but I would not characterize Geertsen, Boikov and Nantel as ECHL guys. They are there as a means of extending their season as it's the only place in the org that offered playoffs. Considering they have a chance to win a championship then it was a good idea but also indicates the impact they have at that level.

That's interesting. Good to know they have that kind of confidence in him. We certainly need him in the NHL.

Yetti090

Jul 1, 2014
Manchester, England

Thanks for pointing that out about Mironov. I am excited about him. Might take him a bit to adjust but will be fun to watch.

And I agree. Boikov in the video I have seen this year from the Rampage to this ECHL playoffs he has looked better and better and more and more confident. As well with Nantel, maybe not the greatest season on a tire fire of a team in the AHL, but stepped onto the Eagles and has looked great. Might be a product of competition around him, but I still think worth a look in camp next year. Not to mention JC Beaudin. Back to back 30 goal 80+point seasons in the Q.

Does anyone know whats happening with Troy Bourke? I know he is smaller but seems like he has been stuck in the AHL for a bit with no real chance up in the NHL?

Lastly Sam Henley. Seems like with his size he could get a look at a 4th line role? Dude likes to play gritty on the boards from the video I've seen.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bourke I'm not sure he will be back, just never really developed much. Henley should be back if nothing else because he's a great leader for the AHL and should be an internal vet. Maybe he's not a NHLer but he'd be fine in callup capacity too.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Bourke I'm not sure he will be back, just never really developed much. Henley should be back if nothing else because he's a great leader for the AHL and should be an internal vet. Maybe he's not a NHLer but he'd be fine in callup capacity too.

That'd be nice. I think PIT has a crop of guys like that. Guys they either signed or drafted like Rowney ,that are just solid players that are good for their system, depth guys they can plug in. Not necessarily "part of the plan" but just good solid dudes you can call up.

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Dunno if anything along these lines has been discussed here, but it's rumored DAL is willing to move 3OA but is interested in a roster player instead of picks. What would y'all say to something along the lines of:

DAL gets
Duchene

COL gets
3OA
DAL 2nd '17

And then other stuff to balance it out where necessary. This allows us to get Heskanen at 3 and the forward of our choice at 4 (or trade down with ARI or DET at 7 or 9 with some more picks), and gives us a second 2nd, allowing us to take a shot at a goalie.

If a Duchene for Hannifin deal is on the table, I still like that, but if not, maybe Heskanen is the high calibre D prospect we're looking for?

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I'd do the Dallas trade, but I think they're trading their pick for a dman. I'd prefer Duchene for Hanifin, though. ;)

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Just a thought but as the Avs attempt to get younger and improve their defense and other teams are dealing with expansion draft issues (i.e., they have a logjam at certain positions) I thought of this...

To Minnesota: Colorado's 1st round 2017 pick + later round pick or prospect
To Colorado: D Matt Dumba, Minnesota's 2017 first round pick

Basically swapping picks and letting the Wild move up and not lose a guy they are rumored to leave exposed (and who would likely be snapped up) for nothing. With the latter pick Colorado can still get a good player and possibly even Cal Foote (which is just great PR).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just a thought but as the Avs attempt to get younger and improve their defense and other teams are dealing with expansion draft issues (i.e., they have a logjam at certain positions) I thought of this...

To Minnesota: Colorado's 1st round 2017 pick + later round pick or prospect
To Colorado: D Matt Dumba, Minnesota's 2017 first round pick

Basically swapping picks and letting the Wild move up and not lose a guy they are rumored to leave exposed (and who would likely be snapped up) for nothing. With the latter pick Colorado can still get a good player and possibly even Cal Foote (which is just great PR).

The earliest pick Minnesota owns is a third.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Dunno if anything along these lines has been discussed here, but it's rumored DAL is willing to move 3OA but is interested in a roster player instead of picks. What would y'all say to something along the lines of:

DAL gets
Duchene

COL gets
3OA
DAL 2nd '17

And then other stuff to balance it out where necessary. This allows us to get Heskanen at 3 and the forward of our choice at 4 (or trade down with ARI or DET at 7 or 9 with some more picks), and gives us a second 2nd, allowing us to take a shot at a goalie.

If a Duchene for Hannifin deal is on the table, I still like that, but if not, maybe Heskanen is the high calibre D prospect we're looking for?

I don't make the deal, I take whatever player falls to #4, and look for a dman that can play sooner than later with a Duchene trade.

You make this deal you are signaling to all the players that are currently around that you have no intentions of even trying to get better for at least 3 seasons.

If we are trading Duchene and Landeskog we have to get at least 1 NHL ready piece per transaction. Just to keep the current guys interested. You get all futures and your core players check out because they know there is no hope for the next season.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
For some reason, fans are projecting really low. Sakic himself has stated that he feels we are closer to becoming competitive again. As chet1926 says, you still need some NHL'ers in the team. We CAN be competitive next season, but we'd need to have some quality in the team:

+ Trade Barrie (and whatever) for Drouin - maybe Grig's rights?
+ Acquire a PMD via free agency
+ KEEP Dutchy (bounce back).
+ Keeping Dutchy allows for a #4 OA to get at least 10 odd games imo (Tippett ideal).
+ Also allows Jost / Compher to acclimatise slowly ALA ROR in the bottom 6
+ If Beach isn't getting bought out, 3rd pairing minutes tops

Drouin - Mackinnon - Rantanen (chemistry hopefully)
Landeskog - Duchene - Tippett (2 vets helping rookie)
Jost - Soderberg - Andrighetto (should be plenty of scoring there)
Nieto - Compher - Greer (complete energy)

Zadorov - Johnson (continues to improve)
Barberio - FREE AGENT (hopefully Shattenkirk)
Beauchemin - Mirinov (Beach helps Mirinov with NHL ice space)

Varlamov (hopefully healthy)
Pickard (solid back-up)

Depth: Comeau, Colborne, Lindholm

That team competes. Yes, I know most of you will under estimate, and be all doom and gloom with that defense, but it's the best base we'd have had in many, many years.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
For some reason, fans are projecting really low. Sakic himself has stated that he feels we are closer to becoming competitive again. As chet1926 says, you still need some NHL'ers in the team. We CAN be competitive next season, but we'd need to have some quality in the team:

+ Trade Barrie (and whatever) for Drouin - maybe Grig's rights?
+ Acquire a PMD via free agency
+ KEEP Dutchy (bounce back).
+ Keeping Dutchy allows for a #4 OA to get at least 10 odd games imo (Tippett ideal).
+ Also allows Jost / Compher to acclimatise slowly ALA ROR in the bottom 6
+ If Beach isn't getting bought out, 3rd pairing minutes tops

Drouin - Mackinnon - Rantanen (chemistry hopefully)
Landeskog - Duchene - Tippett (2 vets helping rookie)
Jost - Soderberg - Andrighetto (should be plenty of scoring there)
Nieto - Compher - Greer (complete energy)

Pickard (solid back-up)

That team competes. Yes, I know most of you will under estimate, and be all doom and gloom with that defense, but it's the best base we'd have had in many, many years.

Tippett will not be in the NHL next year. Duchene is already out the door. If we somehow get Drouin for Barrie, a cap dump is coming back our way.

If we had a moderately successful season last year I would be for these moves, but we have to do a full rebuild and can't half ass it like we did before.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Pickard (solid back-up)

There's a reason for that. Actually, multiple reasons:

- You've got Zadorov playing top-pairing minutes
- You've actually got Mark Barberio in your top-4
- You don't actually have anyone on the right side 2nd pairing, you're just hoping Kevin Shattenkirk spurns 28 other teams, but mainly that he spurns the Rangers in favour of us.
- You've still got Francois Beauchemin on this team and, not only that, but he's playing with Andrei Mironov. So we've got a guy who very clearly cannot play in the NHL anymore paired with a guy who we don't even know IF he can play in the NHL.

And you really expect people to be hopeful?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yep, it's going to take a lot to fix the D. We would be very lucky if it all came together next year.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
Tippett will not be in the NHL next year. Duchene is already out the door. If we somehow get Drouin for Barrie, a cap dump is coming back our way.

If we had a moderately successful season last year I would be for these moves, but we have to do a full rebuild and can't half ass it like we did before.

I don't get people that think we need to fully rebuild. A retool for sure, but there is absolutely no reason the Avalanche can't be competitive in two years time. I agree that next year likely won't be great, but a lot of the garbage contracts are gone after next season and trading duchene and Barrie can net a pretty good return.

I don't think they should touch ufa this or even next off season, but a full blown rebuild isn't really necessary. I would say a 2-3 year retool would work fine.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
There's a reason for that. Actually, multiple reasons:

- You've got Zadorov playing top-pairing minutes
- You've actually got Mark Barberio in your top-4
- You don't actually have anyone on the right side 2nd pairing, you're just hoping Kevin Shattenkirk spurns 28 other teams, but mainly that he spurns the Rangers in favour of us.
- You've still got Francois Beauchemin on this team and, not only that, but he's playing with Andrei Mironov. So we've got a guy who very clearly cannot play in the NHL anymore paired with a guy who we don't even know IF he can play in the NHL.

And you really expect people to be hopeful?

Absolutely.

What's the alternative? Throw up our hands and completely give up? Not sure why everyone wants to envelope everything the team does in mire. This isn't a good idea. That's not a good idea. This isn't going to work. That's not going to work. There's no hope. No-one wants to play for us.

X Zadorov played top pair while EJ was injured and accounted for himself beautifully. Why can't that continue WITH EJ around (another player people are ripping at the moment)?

X Barberio spent time on our top 4 this past season, and we actually looked the better for it. People can deny all they like, but he was a great pick-up, added value, and had compete in everything he did. Yes, I have him on the 2nd pair.

X I suggested Shattenkirk, yes. We were RUMOURED to be one of the teams he was open to coming through this season. Despite what people will have you believe, we still are a desired place to play - example - Mirinov moving continents, and taking a massive pay-cut to throw our jersey on next season - and wouldn't have done so for a place in the AHL.

X I included 32, because people here think he may not be bought out. If that's the case, then yes, he'll be on the team. He improved towards the end of the season. He's not as horrible as some say. Could he be better? Sure. Whole team could. But I'd most certainly be happy with him imparting his wisdom with Mirinov (a current bronze world championship medalist).

Jeez, I wish people would think more positively. Bring on next season. Prove all the nay sayers wrong Avs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not that he would sign here but I don't want shatty or any UFA with term. Also, can't start the year with Duchene still an AV.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Absolutely.

What's the alternative? Throw up our hands and completely give up? Not sure why everyone wants to envelope everything the team does in mire. This isn't a good idea. That's not a good idea. This isn't going to work. That's not going to work. There's no hope. No-one wants to play for us.

X Zadorov played top pair while EJ was injured and accounted for himself beautifully. Why can't that continue WITH EJ around (another player people are ripping at the moment)?

X Barberio spent time on our top 4 this past season, and we actually looked the better for it. People can deny all they like, but he was a great pick-up, added value, and had compete in everything he did. Yes, I have him on the 2nd pair.

X I suggested Shattenkirk, yes. We were RUMOURED to be one of the teams he was open to coming through this season. Despite what people will have you believe, we still are a desired place to play - example - Mirinov moving continents, and taking a massive pay-cut to throw our jersey on next season - and wouldn't have done so for a place in the AHL.

X I included 32, because people here think he may not be bought out. If that's the case, then yes, he'll be on the team. He improved towards the end of the season. He's not as horrible as some say. Could he be better? Sure. Whole team could. But I'd most certainly be happy with him imparting his wisdom with Mirinov (a current bronze world championship medalist).

Jeez, I wish people would think more positively. Bring on next season. Prove all the nay sayers wrong Avs.

Zadorov was decent with EJ; "accounted for himself beautifully" is quite the exaggeration. He's not ready to play 23-25 minutes on the top pairing against 1st lines nightly. The last thing he needs is to be thrust into that responsibility. 2nd pairing duty? Absolutely. 1st pairing? Not yet.

Seriously? Mark Barberio? I know you're the eternal optimist but good god man, Mark Barberio? The guy is a 6/7 defensemen. He doesn't belong anywhere near a team's top-4. Provided he is still on the roster next season, he should be starting as a 6/7/8 defensemen for this team. Unless we plan on tanking. Then by all means play him in the top-4.

Why would Shattenkirk sign here? We're nowhere near competing. He's an east coast guy. He probably wants to win. We can offer him money but that's about it.

You can't just tell people to think positively when a roster looks very poor.

Last edited:

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Shattenkirk won't sign here and I wouldn't even want him at this point. Some team will overpay to get him and I'm happy it won't be us.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
A better Avs roster doesn't mean it translates to optimism. We've already had enough of that over the years. I'm expecting better results than last year, because if that didn't happen this team would fold and be headed to Seattle/Quebec because it's so hopeless.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Zadorov was decent with EJ; "accounted for himself beautifully" is quite the exaggeration. He's not ready to play 23-25 minutes on the top pairing against 1st lines nightly. The last thing he needs is to be thrust into that responsibility. 2nd pairing duty? Absolutely. 1st pairing? Not yet.

Seriously? Mark Barberio? I know you're the eternal optimist but good god man, Mark Barberio? The guy is a 6/7 defensemen. He doesn't belong anywhere near a team's top-4. Provided he is still on the roster next season, he should be starting as a 6/7/8 defensemen for this team. Unless we plan on tanking. Then by all means play him in the top-4.

Why would Shattenkirk sign here? We're nowhere near competing. He's an east coast guy. He probably wants to win. We can offer him money but that's about it.

You can't just tell people to think positively when a roster looks very poor.

When was the last time one of our D-men literally took over a game and dominated the thing with intimidation? Saturday the 4th of March is when, when one Zadorov literally tore apart a defensive core consisting of Byfuglien, Enstrom, Myers, Trouba & others @ the ripe old age of 21.

If that doesn't get the juices flowing, I don't know what would? That's an indication of what and where this amazing player could and should be each night. We get anywhere near that performance (which was becoming more regular), he's not only a top pair D on our team, but on most others.

The problem is that no-one sees the improvement or potential in any of our players, but it's there, despite what people suggest.

Absolutely Mark Barberio mate. I'm sure you watched our games. But in my estimation, he was maybe one of our best D-men at the back end of last season for us. Yes, yes, your going to tell me because everyone else was so awful, but that is plain not true. That's why articles like http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/22/mark-barberio-colorado-avalanche-rise/ was being written (that article not being the only one. Our fanbase is just trying to extract any negative they can, and not look at the positives for what they are.

Why would Shattenkirk sign here? I'm not sure, but we were listed as one of the destinations he wouldn't be adverse coming to around the trade deadline. We can offer him money, yes. But Denver can offer so much more can't it? I also think we are miles away from the dumpsale people claim we are on these boards.

The last 3 games we won down the stretch were The Hawks, The Blues & The Redwings. None of those are easy beats by any stretch of the imagination.

I kind of felt we phased in and out of games at times. When we were "on", we actually looked amazing. When we were flat, given our depth due to injury and form, we were found wanting. At the same time, I had hopes we could beat any given team on any night. We just had to play 100% balls to the wall, and for 60 full minutes.

You do realise we had so many games under control against so much quality opposition, but we ran out of steam in the final 20 (repetitively). That can be easily coached.

Have faith mate. You're going to be pumped next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad