Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXIV|Pokecheque Liked The Other Title Better Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well my whole point wasn't that you have to keep Barrie, it's that you can't open a hole on a team hoping to compete, if you do that.
Replacing Barrie with Byram while potentially solving our 2nd line centre issues isn't opening a hole for me IMHO. Blues just won the Cup without a Barrie defender and considering we have Makar, Tyson isn't a cost-controlled RFA so to me he's a luxury piece. What are your thoughts?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you want to argue about Mack then yeah, I am. To me he's the 2nd best player in the world and even if you bring hand picked stats to prove me wrong I'll still be right.

Want to argue about Draisaitl with @cgf ? Good luck.

It's everyone. Stop it.

Thanks for the side swipe, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who looks silly from those Drae debates in hindsight ;)

Zads is my favorite or second favorite av -- he & Landy swap spots biweekly -- but I'm fully capable of acknowledging his shortcomings and that he hasn't developed into the player he had the potential to become, thus far. I love Gabe but even when everyone was yelling at me for over-rating his offense I was only predicting a peak of 70+ points :dunno:

Having an emotional attachment doesn't have to bleed into your analysis...like it does for some of you...

Reactions: Barklez

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Replacing Barrie with Byram while potentially solving our 2nd line centre issues isn't opening a hole for me IMHO. Blues just won the Cup without a Barrie defender and considering we have Makar, Tyson isn't a cost-controlled RFA so to me he's a luxury piece. What are your thoughts?
Are you saying that a Barrie trade solves the 2C issue?

What if the deal is a Trouba-like deal?

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Barrie for Horvat would be a dream. If we could somehow offload Kerfoot in that, that would be sweet. Hopefully #4 pick isn't involved in that. Only other things that interest me is Boeser and Demko.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Thanks for the side swipe, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who looked silly in those Drae debates in hindsight ;)

Zads is my favorite or second favorite av but I'm fully capable of acknowledging his shortcomings. Having an emotional attachment doesn't have to bleed into your analysis...like it does for some of you...

I'm not. Z will forever be perfect in my eyes and I will die believing this. I am part of the problem and I accept this.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah sure, but Byram isn't ready.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
If you want to argue about Mack then yeah, I am. To me he's the 2nd best player in the world and even if you bring hand picked stats to prove me wrong I'll still be right.

Want to argue about Draisaitl with @cgf ? Good luck.

It's everyone. Stop it.
Oh, grow up

Yes, everyone has stuff like that. I never said otherwise.

It doesn’t mean this is the case here. Just because they happen to have an opinion you disagree with.

Want to know a huge red flag? When people insist something is true based on declaring a generalization and insisting on the implication that the stereotype applies.

It just sounds like you want an excuse to think your own opinion to be more objective in the face of other opinions

Your argument just as well supports that you’re emotionally compromised in Barrie in the other direction

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well my whole point wasn't that you have to keep Barrie, it's that you can't open a hole on a team hoping to compete, if you do that.

Bingo. I don't mind moving Barrie if we're replacing him with a someone at least close to his level -- like Spurgeon -- but securing a guy like that is even harder than getting a competent 2C; as the past decade showed us...

Reactions: S3rkie

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
How can it be a position of power if it becomes a position of weakness with his removal :dunno:

I don't see us having a weak defence without Barrie. Average perhaps, but not weak.

Makar made a huge difference for us in the playoffs and didn't even play in the regular season. Is it unreasonable to expect small growth from Girard?

Cole is a good player. The Condor was playing with a busted wing in the playoffs, but I still think he has a little gas left in the tank. Zadorov is up and down, but he was a +19 last year. Heck I don't even hate Nemeth.

And if Bednar doesn't like the group we can always sign a free agent to a short term deal.

This all not including the fact, the Avs might draft Byram at 4.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Part of me thinks guys like Patagonia etc that are on the 'trade Barrie' train just say that stuff because of how easily a lot of people here lose their **** over it :laugh:

This is the problem with the Pro-Barrie Group, they have no answers on the same issues:
  • Expansion Draft;
  • Expiring Contract;
  • Resign Contract Amount & Term;
  • Poor Defense outweighs Offense;
  • Team Role 1D, 2D or 3D near the end of the contract;
  • Offensive replacement Makar, Girard, Timmins or draft pick?;
  • Trade Value;
  • Newport.
A handful of individuals constantly attacking others for voicing their opinions on any or all of the above reasons are considered Trolls. Spinning off any select stats doesn't support the overall body of his game. Barrie is a one dimensional offensive player riding on the success of Mackinnon playing a 2D role asking for 1D money.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not. Z will forever be perfect in my eyes and I will die believing this. I am part of the problem and I accept this.

I'm not exactly blameless in including that "thus far" in my edit :laugh:

...but believing/hoping that his potential hasn't yet been sealed for good, even if I don't expect him to ever reach it, is different than analyzing the player that he currently is...

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is the problem with the Pro-Barrie Group, they have no answers on the same issues:
  • Expansion Draft;
  • Expiring Contract;
  • Trade Value;
  • Newport.
A handful of individuals constantly attacking others for voicing their opinions on any or all of the above reasons are considered Trolls. Spinning off any select stats doesn't support the overall body of his game. Barrie is a one dimensional offensive player riding on the success of Mackinnon, in a 2D role asking for 1D money.
Didn't mean to drag you into this, just you're kinda the poster boy for the 'trade Barrie' side of these debates. I think at the end of the day both sides do have valid points but nobodies changed their opinions in over 2+ years of this debate, so I don't really see the point of it anymore.

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Why would Vancouver do this though? Don't they have potentially the same thing in Hughes but younger and probably cheaper? Barrie is gonna cost a king's ransom to try and acquire and resign. I'm aware they don't have much depth on the back end.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't see us having a weak defence without Barrie. Average perhaps, but not weak.

Makar made a huge difference for us in the playoffs and didn't even play in the regular season. Is it unreasonable to expect small growth from Girard?

Cole is a good player. The Condor was playing with a busted wing in the playoffs, but I still think he has a little gas left in the tank. Zadorov is up and down, but he was a +19 last year. Heck I don't even hate Nemeth.

And if Bednar doesn't like the group we can always sign a free agent to a short term deal.

This all not including the fact, the Avs might draft Byram at 4.

Let's just say we disagree radically on the quality of this blueline without all 3 of Barrie, Makar & Girard to create a competitive advantage for us on the blueline.

As for the bolded; that strategy sure worked well for us over the past 12 years.

Reactions: Barklez

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
  • Expansion Draft;
  • Expiring Contract;
  • Trade Value;
  • Newport.
A handful of individuals constantly attacking others for voicing their opinions on any or all of the above reasons are considered Trolls. Spinning off any select stats doesn't support the overall body of his game. Barrie is a one dimensional offensive player riding on the success of Mackinnon playing a 2D role asking for 1D money.

Literally every single one of those points has been answered. You just ignore them every time it doesn’t go the way you want it to.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Let's just say we disagree radically on the quality of this blueline without all 3 of Barrie, Makar & Girard.

As for the bolded; that strategy sure worked well for us over the past 12 years.

It's working with Cole.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Let's get all of the busts that I loved! Barrie for Gauthier + Crouse + Samson!

...RiaL please see your physician immediately, do not wait 3 hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad