Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXII|Deadline to Disappointment Impending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I mean, let's say we keep Barrie. How can we improve the team?

We can draft two forwards at 4 and 16, let's say Turcotte + one of Lavoie, Poulin, Newhook, Caufield, Kaliyev or whatever.

We keep on developing our kids, you have Compher, Kerfoot, Jost, Bowers, Kaut, Greer, Kamenev who can all play at the NHL level + our top line.

You can go and sign a top 6 free agent as well in UFA, we have plenty of money. You can also trade the 16th overall with a guy like Kerfoot for an offensive upgrade, say Kadri.

You can then go all-in and sign a guy like Nyquist or Hayes if you want to.

Let's just sign Nyquist short term like 5.5M$ x 2 or 3 years and trade Kerfoot and pick #16 for Kadri in this example.

Landy - Mack - Rantanen
Nyquist - Kadri - Turcotte
Jost - Soderberg - Compher
Calvert - Kamenev - Nieto

You still have Kaut, Bowers to replace Soderberg and Nyquist in a few years in middle 6 roles. You've got Soderberg and Nyquist going off the books in a few years, leaving space to resign Makar and guys like that.

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Makar
Cole - Johnson

you can do whatever pairing you want, Timmins and Meloche can eventually replace Cole and Johnson.

As for the expansion draft, we'll lose one of Zadorov, Compher, Jost whether we trade Barrie or not if you ask me.

AND if the Avs were to pick Byram, you can still decide to sign Barrie for now and move him later if need be.

I get the idea behind moving Barrie, but I don't think there's evidence that it's needed, nor that it really makes us better short and long term.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Exactly, just pay him whatever he wants until he is 36/37... He IS that good!!

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Looking forward to the draft and then FA signings so we can get an idea how our team will stack up against its competition in the Central next year. The only Central team that I felt we didn't match up well against was the Blues. Size and skill.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
You can trade your secondary scoring guys for futures when they want a pay raise after playing with your elite talent. But you don't trade your elite talent if you want to win. Sign Barrie.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
AVs are highly likely to add another DMan in the 1st:

Byram or York/Seider/Harley/Broberg

So the future would look extremely bright and if Timmins and Meloche reach the NHL, they will have even more depth.

Future DMen lineup:

Byram-Makar
Girard-EJ
Zadorov-Timmins/Meloche

So where would Barrie play? Here are the terrible options:
  • Barrie can't play Defense, which eliminates Girard.
  • 3rd line with Zadorov and pay $8M+ per.
  • Move Zadorov - Barrie to 2nd line and bury Girard/EJ to 3rd line.
  • Block the futures of Timmins and Meloche.
For all the Barrie supporters, I like to hear some better options.
1) You're making the assumption the Avs add a defensemen with pick #4. Even if they do, that defensemen is not joining the team until at the EARLIEST 2020-2021, but the more likely scenario being 2021-2022.

2) Erik Johnson on the 2nd pairing for years to come? Lol.

3) We don't know if Connor Timmins will ever play pro hockey again, and you're penciling him into a lineup?

4) You continuously ignore the good numbers that Girard-Barrie have had when paired together, but I know you're always going to do that because you are someone who simply likes to ignore facts. You constantly spew out incorrect garbage in order to try and prove your point. Just let it go already, everyone has caught on and nobody takes you seriously with your Barrie stuff.

Reactions: cgf and Y3TI

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
My expansion preference is still to try and have EJ waive

He’s been a great defenseman during his time here but in 2-3 years when we’re favourites we’re going to need guys like Zadorov and Compher for long Cup runs and EJ will be 2-3 years worse

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Why even bother having this discussion anymore?

It's the most passionate / polarizing topic on the board. It'll always be a common one.

All I feel is if Barrie is on our top pairing in the future there's a lot of 1st/2nd round exits coming.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
It's the most passionate / polarizing topic on the board. It'll always be a common one.

All I feel is if Barrie is on our top pairing in the future there's a lot of 1st/2nd round exits coming.
He won’t be on our top pairing in the future, Makar will be. I’m fine with Barrie making $8M on the 2nd pairing. :)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Guess so. Seems like the same people just regurgitating their opinions over and over again.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
And yet it seems the debate is over whether the Avs ultimately have a choice on extending Barrie. They don't. For the first time in his career he is approaching UFA status and that is no small deal for the player. Personally, I say make the effort to extend him on a 4-5 year deal, as he would be one of the most sought after defenders on the UFA market next summer. But if Barrie's message is "I love being part of this team but UFA status doesn't come around often and I owe it to myself to test the market" then you listen to any and all offers early in the season but, come deadline time, consider the 'own rental' model, especially if the team is looking good.

If he were to get dealt this summer it had better be for a good player with some term left at the very least (and probably conditional picks on if he re-signs with whoever gets him).

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Why would it be so?

You put out 18 skaters and hopefully a good goalie, why would having Barrie being on our two best defenseman lead to early round exits? Maybe if the rest of the team suck, but that wouldnt be Barries fault.

(I saw Pens win with Cole bascially being their best defenseman)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Why would we waste money on Makar when we'll have Timmins, Byram & our 2021 2nd round pick to make him expendable?

Think for a minute...Barrie wants $8M after next season.

Makar, Byram, Girard, Timmins & Meloche would all be on ELC and the combined salaries would be less than Barrie...

:DD

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I believe this solidifies most of the speculation Turcotte will be their choice. Player confirmed to have been repeatedly interviewed in private, only profiled prospect on the Hawks site, family connection, Toews replacement and both LHD Keith/Maatta have either a NTC/NMC for the next 3 years.

Sakic choices just became a little clearer. Choose either: Byram, Zegras or Dach.

I’m still with Byram...too many positives compared to the others or consider trading down if the others are the preference for an extra asset.

Any way you slice it , we're getting a good player.
The future of this team is sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad