Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXII|Deadline to Disappointment Impending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Last thread ended with today's Spittin' Chiclets podcast so let's continue....

Blues are the toughest, most physical team in the league and are one win away from the cup. After Wilson's success in the playoffs last year, should we finally start getting bigger and tougher upfront if we want to go deeper in the post season next year?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
did everyone forget that we already had a MacKinnon-Duchene 1-2 punch at Center and it did not work?
@RockLobster

We had a Mackinnon-Duchene 1-2 punch at centre before but not with this Mackinnon.

Obvious problems with Duchene previously and I doubt he ever comes back (especially this summer) but it’s unfair to think that 1-2 punch can’t work when we’ve never witnessed it with current Nathan Mackinnon on Nathan Mackinnon’s team.

I refuse to believe this team wouldn’t be better off with Matt Duchene as our 2C.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Blues are the toughest team in the league and are one win away from the cup. After Wilson's success in the playoffs last year, should we finally start getting bigger and tougher upfront if we want to go deeper in the post season next year?
I think 1 or 2 additions would definitely be helpful but I don’t think we should completely build our team around it. Speed should continue to be the focus IMO.

But if we can nab a guy like Ferland on a 1 year prove it deal so he can put up numbers beside Mackinnon and obliterate people in the process I think it’s a no brainer. We need more of that.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
@RockLobster

We had a Mackinnon-Duchene 1-2 punch at centre before but not with this Mackinnon.

Obvious problems with Duchene previously and I doubt he ever comes back (especially this summer) but it’s unfair to think that 1-2 punch can’t work when we’ve never witnessed it with current Nathan Mackinnon on Nathan Mackinnon’s team.

I refuse to believe this team wouldn’t be better off with Matt Duchene as our 2C.

Obviously it wasn't with "this" MacKinnon, as he didn't take off until after Duchene left. So that begs the question as to whether or not Duchene being here prevented that from happening or if MacKinnon was still just taking a bit longer to realize his potential.

I think their respective styles are a little too similar to one another and therefore easier to gameplan against. Matt Duchene is obviously a gifted hockey player, but my obvious bias (and I will recognize it as such) is that if we were to bring back any former Avs C that was drafted in 2009, it would have been Ryan O'Reilly.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Obviously it wasn't with "this" MacKinnon, as he didn't take off until after Duchene left. So that begs the question as to whether or not Duchene being here prevented that from happening or if MacKinnon was still just taking a bit longer to realize his potential.

I think their respective styles are a little too similar to one another and therefore easier to gameplan against. Matt Duchene is obviously a gifted hockey player, but my obvious bias (and I will recognize it as such) is that if we were to bring back any former Avs C that was drafted in 2009, it would have been Ryan O'Reilly.

That is Stanley Cup Champion Conn Smythe winner Ryan O'Reilly....

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Id prefer that too but Ryan O’Reilly is locked up for sereral years on a division rival that is about to win a Stanley Cup. That’s like saying you’d prefer to have Marchand than signing Zuccarello.

Matt Duchene isn’t talked about because people are obsessed with him. He’s talked about because he’s a UFA and fills our biggest need while giving up zero assets. It’s the same reason why people talk about Panarin instead of Mcdavid and Karlsson instead of Doughty. Availability.

Duchene almost certainly isn’t coming back. And for every argument people have for not wanting Duchene back, Matt probably has more reasons why he wouldn’t want to come back. But this nonsense of a 1-2 punch of Mackinnon-Duchene not working out when our current 2nd line centre is Carl Soderberg is just laughable. It comes from pure resentment off Matt Duchene and has nothing to do with the game being played on the ice.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Blues are the toughest, most physical team in the league and are one win away from the cup. After Wilson's success in the playoffs last year, should we finally start getting bigger and tougher upfront if we want to go deeper in the post season next year?

haven't you been paying attention?
Size and toughness don't matter, it's all about skill.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
To be fair, Kento, I did say “would have”...I know he isn’t leaving St. Louis anytime soon ;).

I think people talk about Duchene because part of them still want to bask in the feel-good part of his story where he grew up an Avs fan.

I have never said he wasn’t a good player, but I believe (and this is probably bias on my part) that he played a role in preventing MacKinnon’s breakout (most assuredly an unintentional role, but still) :dunno:.

I mean everyone can feel free to dream on him, I’ll just always prefer we remain moved on.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
To be fair, Kento, I did say “would have”...I know he isn’t leaving St. Louis anytime soon ;).

I think people talk about Duchene because part of them still want to bask in the feel-good part of his story where he grew up an Avs fan.

I have never said he wasn’t a good player, but I believe (and this is probably bias on my part) that he played a role in preventing MacKinnon’s breakout (most assuredly an unintentional role, but still) :dunno:.

I mean everyone can feel free to dream on him, I’ll just always prefer we remain moved on.

I feel the same about Duchene as I feel about O'Reilly.
Neither are dirty players that hurt a team just by being there.
Either is a better center than Kerfoot or Jost, so either would be better centering that 2nd line.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I fully agree that he played a role in preventing Mackinnon’s breakout. However I blame the organization. Not the player who played the role and situation his coaches put him in.

I’ve said it plenty of times. If Sakic, Bednar, EJ, Mackinnon, Landeskog and Matt Duchene himself all want Matt Duchene back in Denver I’m very okay with Matt Duchene back in Denver. However my gut tells me only Bednar and Landeskog are the ones who would like that and I’m okay with that as well.

I don’t like quitters. I do like winning hockey games though.

Reactions: Barklez

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Time heals and maybe things weren't as bad as they seemed publicly but in the last few months of Duchene as an Av, he (and a few others) quit well before the season ended, showed up to camp unhappy, was stripped of his A, and there was shade thrown his way when he was finally traded. I think getting back together could actually help both sides quite a bit but it also might be best if they stay separated. I'd put the chances of a reunion happening at less than 1%.

Reactions: shadow1

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
Duchene is the ex you had a child with, it may have been ugly during the breakup, but you both mature and realize it’s childish and get along, maybe even become good friends, but there shouldn’t be another relationship. Even if it may look to be for the best for the child, it’s best to just stay away and see other people

Reactions: Barklez

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
People are afraid of Hayes aging poorly with his contract but Duchene who's entire game is built on speed and will cost more $ back?

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
What about these 2 moves..
EJ + Bowers + 3rd? For Kadri and Zaitsev.

Sign Ferland or trade 16oa + Kerfoot for Zucker

Landy - Mack - Rants
Zucker/Ferland - Kadri - Jost/Kam
Calvert - Soda - Compher
Blank - Jost/Kam - Greer

Reactions: Foxtail
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'd really like it if we managed to acquire Zucker.

I don't think Joe or Bednar will ever have this team be a big, physical team. Where I do think they could go is to have a lot of speed and pressure from all lines. They won't need to be overly physical if they just have 4 lines that can put pressure on the forecheck and make the other teams defense make mistakes. That doesn't mean you need 4 lines of talented players, you can have grinders who just get in there and forecheck but have next to no actual offensive talent. That still puts pressure on the other team and will tire them out.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Listened to the Duchene chicklets interview and he mentioned a few times of things going on behind the scenes which was part of what made him need a change of scenery.

This isn’t new news to us or anything but he made it even more clear that the dressing room wasn’t working with him in it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Duchene is the ex you had a child with, it may have been ugly during the breakup, but you both mature and realize it’s childish and get along, maybe even become good friends, but there shouldn’t be another relationship. Even if it may look to be for the best for the child, it’s best to just stay away and see other people

But it is nice to have something on the side while you're waiting for the right one. :naughty:

Listened to the Duchene chicklets interview and he mentioned a few times of things going on behind the scenes which was part of what made him need a change of scenery.

This isn’t new news to us or anything but he made it even more clear that the dressing room wasn’t working with him in it.

I got the same from it. It was really best for all parties to move on and should really stay that way. Duchene is a good player and the best center on the market, even with that, the Avs would be best to stay away... and Duchene would be best to stay away.

Reactions: Y3TI and Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I got the same from it. It was really best for all parties to move on and should really stay that way. Duchene is a good player and the best center on the market, even with that, the Avs would be best to stay away... and Duchene would be best to stay away.

Both sides are well aware of that, but since this is Hfavs we only want 2 types of players: All Stars or former Avs. Anything else is trash, overpaid, not good...

Reactions: Y3TI and henchman21

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017
But it is nice to have something on the side while you're waiting for the right one. :naughty:

Legitimately choked on my sweet tea because of that :laugh:

E: so you’re suggesting Duchene on a PTO :sarcasm:

Reactions: henchman21

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
People are afraid of Hayes aging poorly with his contract but Duchene who's entire game is built on speed and will cost more $ back?
Duchene has 80 points in 83 total games last year. Hayes has 57 in 77. You’re comparing a legit 1C to a lower end 2C.

Plus Duchene’s game isn’t built on speed. The league caught up with him a few years ago. I mean he can skate but he can’t separate himself like he used to. That’s what impressed me most about Duchene since his trade from Colorado. He has re-adjusted his game. He’s smarter, more patient, doesn’t try to do too much and has become even better defensively.

Duchene’s contract or ability has nothing to do with why Colorado won’t sign him. The reason(s) is the same reason(s) he was traded which we will never know the full details on.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Find an identity and stick to it. This team's identity is speed and skill. Just because the St. Louis Blues could win the cup as a big, heavy team doesn't change the fact that the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins were cup winners from 2016-2018 as fast, skilled teams, and that the Blues' opponent in this Finals is a fast, skilled team in the Boston Bruins.

The Avs don't have the personnel for a heavy team. They don't have the prospects to build a heavy team. I surely don't want to waste a bunch of assets making moves to become a heavy team.

It's not a requirement to be big and heavy to win in this league. You obviously can't have your entire team be 5'10 and 170 lbs, but you need a good mix.

If you're able to sign players like Kevin Hayes or Micheal Ferland, for reasonable deals (more so Ferland on the reasonable deal), then go for it. But don't try to overpay them just to try and copy what the Blues have. That almost always ends poorly.

Reactions: Ivan13 and Avs_19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Find an identity and stick to it. This team's identity is speed and skill. Just because the St. Louis Blues could win the cup as a big, heavy team doesn't change the fact that the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins were cup winners from 2016-2018 as fast, skilled teams, and that the Blues' opponent in this Finals is a fast, skilled team in the Boston Bruins.

The Avs don't have the personnel for a heavy team. They don't have the prospects to build a heavy team. I surely don't want to waste a bunch of assets making moves to become a heavy team.

It's not a requirement to be big and heavy to win in this league. You obviously can't have your entire team be 5'10 and 170 lbs, but you need a good mix.

If you're able to sign players like Kevin Hayes or Micheal Ferland, for reasonable deals (more so Ferland on the reasonable deal), then go for it. But don't try to overpay them just to try and copy what the Blues have. That almost always ends poorly.

This... there are different ways to skin a cat. Teams have won being heavy, teams have won being more skilled and fast. Just find the identity your core needs and build around that. If the core was just Landy, MacK, and Rants with needing a bunch of defense to fill... I'd say they could go either way. But this core includes Barrie, Girard, and Makar too. Where I get confused on the Avs, they have these skilled and smaller players... but then go and draft Kaut.

Reactions: Ivan13 and Barklez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad