Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXII|Deadline to Disappointment Impending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
After signing Karlsson they have around 12mil to spend with 7 experienced NHL level forwards signed. They still need to sign Thornton, Pavelski, Donskoi, Nyquist of their UFAs, and Meier and Labanc out of notable RFAs. He's gone unless he takes an absurdly low amount of money.
Any chance they’d do 4th OA + Kerfoot for Meier?

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I don't think Pavelski has played C exclusively in a while. Would love Pavs on the Avs, think he could get Jost to take that next step, as well as help out a bunch of our higher end players about supporting the play and finding the quiet areas. Plus, guy just knows how to score goals.

I really think they need to bring in a shooter, a proven scorer type. We have way too many playmakers who are looking to make that pretty play, we need a few more guys that just want to get puck on net.

He took the second highest amount of faceoffs on SJ last year, so you could put him with one of our worse faceoff centers and they can switch as soon as the puck has dropped.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Let's just sign Pavelski...this should make it hard for them to offer Little Joe a competitive deal to see out his career.

Again, I think he'd be a huge get for a younger team like ours. Dude can still flat-out play too.

Edit: Glad to see most agree :D

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't think Pavelski has played C exclusively in a while. Would love Pavs on the Avs, think he could get Jost to take that next step, as well as help out a bunch of our higher end players about supporting the play and finding the quiet areas. Plus, guy just knows how to score goals.

I really think they need to bring in a shooter, a proven scorer type. We have way too many playmakers who are looking to make that pretty play, we need a few more guys that just want to get puck on net.

He doesn't play much C but he is still good on draws IIRC - better than Hayes, Nelson or most of the potential 2C options on the open market. He can always slide over to the dot to take important face-offs.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I guess it depends on who else we are targeting. Hayes isn't a speed demon and most of us agreed he had some attributes that fit well - I think there's always room for one guy on a line who relies a bit more on guile, positioning and efficiency of movement.

You probably don't have Pavs and Jost on the same line - but say you sign Pavelski and trade for Kadri...you get the clutch goal scoring and a creative fulcrum. A Kadri-Pavelski combo as a base for a second line? Then maybe you stick a fast, energetic winger with them who can capitalize on chances that are created...maybe somebody like JTC?

Compher-Kadri-Pavelski...looks like a legit second line to me. The cap hit would not be crippling at all with Kadri on a smart deal and Pavelski a short-term option. You get flair, experience, clutchness, scoring and energy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
His game is based on his smarts and ability to support the play and get into the quiet spots. I don't think he'd struggle with a quicker team at all.

I mean I’m not doubting his ability to still be an effective player in general, but I feel like he’d be less effective on a quick strike team like than he would on a bigger cycling team.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If Pavelski could handle big minutes over a full season would he be a good option with MacK and Rants?

I think we saw too much of the same from the top line against the Sharks. When the Sharks were all back in the neutral zone and letting the top line try to skate through 5 guys it didn't lead to much offense.

Another fast guy who tries to do the same may not be as good as a guy who adds a different dimension.

Dropping Landy down to play with Jost and BDK gives the makings of a good second line.

Reactions: BKarchitect
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I mean I’m not doubting his ability to still be an effective player in general, but I feel like he’d be less effective on a quick strike team like than he would on a bigger cycling team.

I actually think he'd be just fine. He moves the puck quickly, again, probably one of the top players in the league in terms of supporting the play and giving his linemates options. His ability to get into scoring areas without getting noticed would be very helpful for a quick strike team.

At the same time, who would his linemates be? Aside from MacKinnon, we don't exactly have pure burners on the team. We just play a quicker transitional game, which I think Pavelski would be fine in.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Kinda...Landy also plays C defensively, on top of just taking a lot of faceoffs, and Pavs can't do that anymore.

Oh for sure, I don't think Pavs is going to be the defensive C on his line. Personally I think you should split up Rants and MacK, they are the two guys that can create something out of nothing. However, when they play together they sometimes will differ to the other for no reason other than the guy is there. Let those guys lead their own lines.

Ideally, I'd like to see:

Landeskog-MacKinnon-?
Pavelski-Jost-Rantanen

With the ? either being a short term add like Zuccarello or, if miracles can happen, Panarin.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh for sure, I don't think Pavs is going to be the defensive C on his line. Personally I think you should split up Rants and MacK, they are the two guys that can create something out of nothing. However, when they play together they sometimes will differ to the other for no reason other than the guy is there. Let those guys lead their own lines.

Ideally, I'd like to see:

Landeskog-MacKinnon-?
Pavelski-Jost-Rantanen

With the ? either being a short term add like Zuccarello or, if miracles can happen, Panarin.

I agree with all of this other than having Jost centering a scoring line lol. I don't mind him playing on the wing opposite Mikko, on a more methodically paced line, but they'd need someone who could handle the C responsibilities for them...and that just ain't Pavelski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad