Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVII|Crosby+MacK = Tim's Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Byram makes a lot of sense for the Hawks. Yeah they’ve picked a lot of dmen recently but Boqvist is the only one I’d say has top pairing potential. Adding Byram gives them someone who can hopefully learn from and replace Keith. They seem to have their top 2 C’s for now in Toews and Strome, I mean you can’t go wrong with picking a C but I feel like they’re going with Pod, Turcotte or Byram.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I find it funny when people think Barrie could be traded to Edmonton. Like Edmonton would have the cap space and Barrie would want to re-sign there.

They'll wait for Bouchard.

I think it's because Edmonton has been heavily rumored as interested in Barrie for years now. Even Stauffer has shilled for them repeatedly with his commentary, trying to pressure the Avs to lower the price.

Reactions: MarkT

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The way I see it, Colorado needs (1) top-6 forward, a back up goaltender, and (1) depth forward* this offseason.

Yeah, in a perfect world, they’d add two top-6 forwards. But a lot of times when a GM tries to swing for the fences in free agency, he ends up hitting a pop up instead.

In other words, I’d rather Sakic sign one guy he’s really sure about and waiting until next offseason to see what’s available, as opposed to potentially risking adding a James Neal-type (read: bad) contract to the payroll.

*If Colin Wilson is not retained.

Reactions: Gabe the Babe

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Honestly Pickard should be someone we target this offseason. Assuming Frank takes over the backup role for next year.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Honestly Pickard should be someone we target this offseason. Assuming Frank takes over the backup role for next year.
I'd love picks back on the eagles, even if just because he seems like an awesome dude, and teammate. Wasn't there recent news of Werner coming over again? If they're bringing him over maybe they graduate frank and ride with Picks/Werner as a tandem. I can't see them stringing Martin a long much longer I wonder if they even qualify him.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd love picks back on the eagles, even if just because he seems like an awesome dude, and teammate. Wasn't there recent news of Werner coming over again? If they're bringing him over maybe they graduate frank and ride with Picks/Werner as a tandem. I can't see them stringing Martin a long much longer I wonder if they even qualify him.

Yeah I think Martins time is probably coming to an end here. Picks as 3 with Werner backing him up would be ideal imo.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Werner probably stays in Sweden. He plays for a good organization and he's got a shot at being the starter there

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The only thing that gives me pause on that kind of idea, is that Grubauer hasn't fully established himself as a starter in the NHL, given his play before March, and Frank hasn't started any games in the NHL.

If I were the Avs, I'd be really worried about the future of the Avs net, and want another promising prospect like Frank in the minors, to do the same thing Frank did this year. If they bring in Picks, it helps knowing he can step into the NHL if need be, but he'll also take starts away from a promising young goalie. He'll be highly motivated to play great and make it back to the NHL.

If they can find another Frank to play with the Eagles next year, I think they may be better served bringing in a low maintenance vet like Hammond. Someone who's at the point in their career where they'll just come in and play whatever role is needed, even if they don't get a lot of starts.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I think the odd man out in the D Core has to be EJ even tho I love the guy. Barrie is dynamic and if you can keep a guy like that, you just do it. I'm certain Makar will be a top d man in the league and defensively should replace EJ while upgrading our #1 role offensively. Girard is a stud and not much needs to be said there. Zadorov is a physical specimen and I still see him growing quite a bit; his physicality is awfully valuable too, especially in the playoffs. If we can't land a top free agent and/or end up drafting Byram instead of a C, I think it'd be best for us to move him come january

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The only thing that gives me pause on that kind of idea, is that Grubauer hasn't fully established himself as a starter in the NHL, given his play before March, and Frank hasn't started any games in the NHL.

If I were the Avs, I'd be really worried about the future of the Avs net, and want another promising prospect like Frank in the minors, to do the same thing Frank did this year. If they bring in Picks, it helps knowing he can step into the NHL if need be, but he'll also take starts away from a promising young goalie. He'll be highly motivated to play great and make it back to the NHL.

If they can find another Frank to play with the Eagles next year, I think they may be better served bringing in a low maintenance vet like Hammond. Someone who's at the point in their career where they'll just come in and play whatever role is needed, even if they don't get a lot of starts.

I mean Picks has been in that spot where he’s been a 3 capable of playing as a backup though. So it’s not like we’d be putting him in a role he isn’t used to.

Reactions: McMetal

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I think the odd man out in the D Core has to be EJ even tho I love the guy. Barrie is dynamic and if you can keep a guy like that, you just do it. I'm certain Makar will be a top d man in the league and defensively should replace EJ while upgrading our #1 role offensively. Girard is a stud and not much needs to be said there. Zadorov is a physical specimen and I still see him growing quite a bit; his physicality is awfully valuable too, especially in the playoffs. If we can't land a top free agent and/or end up drafting Byram instead of a C, I think it'd be best for us to move him come january
Aside from the expansion draft. Why does someone need to be moved? Couldn’t we just ask him to waive the NMC to expose him? He’s not gonna get picked at 33 years old imo. He’s done too much for this team to just kick him off when the ship finally gets going. Especially when there will be forwards like Compher, Jost, Kerfoot, Kamanev available. And good young forwards are harder to come by in the XD imo.

EJ should stay as long as he’s one of our top 6 defensemen. He’s earned that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean Picks has been in that spot where he’s been a 3 capable of playing as a backup though. So it’s not like we’d be putting him in a role he isn’t used to.

For sure. It's more that he's gonna command more starts in the AHL with his resume, and ability, than a lower maintenance vet like a Hammond type.

A Pickard type helps the NHL team a bit more next year, but whenever the Avs have brought in guys like Salo and Berra, I've always maintained that if the Avs top two goaltenders struggle or get injured, the team is screwed anyway.

The downside is that because of Pickard's resume, he'll likely split time to start in the AHL, and if the prospect stumbles a bit, Pickard will be given more starts pretty quickly. Rather then letting the prospect battle through it.

A vet Hammond type has the potential to help the future more, as opposed to the present, because the goalie prospect can be played like a #1 the way Frank was this year. Getting lots of starts, and going through lots of test. If it takes him a bit to settle in, he'll be given that opportunity.

Obviously, if they can't bring in another Frank type prospect, the point is moot, and a Pickard type is preferable.

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Aside from the expansion draft. Why does someone need to be moved? Couldn’t we just ask him to waive the NMC to expose him? He’s not gonna get picked at 33 years old imo. He’s done too much for this team to just kick him off when the ship finally gets going. Especially when there will be forwards like Compher, Jost, Kerfoot, Kamanev available. And good young forwards are harder to come by in the XD imo.

EJ should stay as long as he’s one of our top 6 defensemen. He’s earned that.

It isn't totally necessary and we may be just fine keeping him as well; but I think the prospect of acquiring a high end forward in exchange for one of our older players in our strongest position of depth is worth entertaining. He's done a lot for our franchise and it should always be appreciated but I think with Girard and Makar developing the way they are, they could fill the void he leaves moderately enough to justify the bolstering of our forward depth. I could see it being a huge difference maker for us in the playoffs.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
This was my favorite part. If we strike out on free agents, trade for literally anything between the Rangers' entire first line and a player who's on waivers every year.

The point is, we need players who can potentially play on our second line. If we can't get that through free agency, yeah you look at all the options and trade for the ones with the best fit for the organisation and the best price. You don't trade for all of them obviously (the entire Rangers first line? - you mean one member of the line?). Not all those players are of equal value and not all would take the same assets to acquire.

So what if his demands are too high and teams only view him as an offensive talent with flaws? Seems like a weird stance to take lol

If his demands are too high, he may have more value to the team long-term as a trade piece than as a player, because if his demands are too high it means he'll be taking up more space on the cap than he's worth, and assuming it's a long-term deal, that will become more of a problem as he ages (he'll be 35 in 8 years). As for how other teams view him, that's about how much they'd be willing to offer - if they see only his offensive ability (like some posters here seem to) then they'll be willing to offer more than he's actually worth, thus making a trade even more appealing.

Nobody would pay for Sven's rights, hell we paid a 6th for the rights to Carl, who's a much better player.

Except Carl was a UFA, not an RFA. It's an entirely different situation. But if you can't find anyone who wants to trade for his rights, you just let him walk like I said.

Also zero interest in adding a bad contract, would've made sense a few years ago but we're moving out of rebuild mode and into contending mode, no space for guys like Marleau or McDonald.

If there's no space for them on the roster, you can buy them out like we did with Orpik. Obviously you wouldn't take on those contracts if it would put us over the cap, but I'm not expecting us to be a cap team as soon as next season, and the players I listed are all on contract for only one more year.

I think there's some good parts in here and some less than good. Barrie for Miller+? Not even interested in Miller. Jaskin is waiver fodder.

But that being said, anyone's plan for an offseason could be picked apart. So kudos for posting it.

Why aren't you interested in Miller? He's not my top pick either but I'm curious as to why you feel that way.

If Jaskin is waiver fodder, he should be cheap, no? 7th round pick maybe? I never suggested we trade great assets for him. In any case he was listed last for a reason - he'd literally be my last choice.

Thanks for the kudos. Anyone is free to pick it apart - that's why I posted it - to see if anyone finds any obvious flaws.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
So what if his demands are too high and teams only view him as an offensive talent with flaws? Seems like a weird stance to take lol

Nobody would pay for Sven's rights, hell we paid a 6th for the rights to Carl, who's a much better player.

Also zero interest in adding a bad contract, would've made sense a few years ago but we're moving out of rebuild mode and into contending mode, no space for guys like Marleau or McDonald.
Ghetto is an RFA and big ol' Carl was set to be a UFA, but I still would not expect any team to trade a pick for him. Either a trade for another 4th line player or maybe add Ghetto to a pick to move up some spots in the middle rounds of the draft.

Reactions: MarkT

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
For sure. It's more that he's gonna command more starts in the AHL with his resume, and ability, than a lower maintenance vet like a Hammond type.

A Pickard type helps the NHL team a bit more next year, but whenever the Avs have brought in guys like Salo and Berra, I've always maintained that if the Avs top two goaltenders struggle or get injured, the team is screwed anyway.

The downside is that because of Pickard's resume, he'll likely split time to start in the AHL, and if the prospect stumbles a bit, Pickard will be given more starts pretty quickly. Rather then letting the prospect battle through it.

A vet Hammond type has the potential to help the future more, as opposed to the present, because the goalie prospect can be played like a #1 the way Frank was this year. Getting lots of starts, and going through lots of test. If it takes him a bit to settle in, he'll be given that opportunity.

Obviously, if they can't bring in another Frank type prospect, the point is moot, and a Pickard type is preferable.

Sure just need to find a goalie who has been chewing up the KHL for the last three years and is essentially an already polished product willing to spend time in the AHL. Without the sarcasm there's some targets in the KHL that won't be Francouz but could be something close: Ivan Nalimov, Ilya Konovalov, Ivan Bocharov, Vasily Demchenko. Nalimov is named because he wants to come over, just not with the Blackhawks organization. Who knows on the other three if they ever want to come over.

And I'd like to contend partially with the "Hammond type has the potential to help the future more, as opposed to the present, because the goalie prospect can be played like a #1 the way Frank was this year" portion. Kaapo Kahkonen got the majority of his starts when Hammond was playing bench warmer for the Wild. When Hammond was with the Iowa Wild he was rarely in the mentor back-up role. To finish off the season (last 20 games) Kahkonen got 6 starts compared to Hammond's 14. The Iowa Wild starting goalie in the playoffs? Hammond.

Having that Hammond/Pickard type in the AHL is running the high chance they'll get the majority of the starts. If you want your prospects to get the most starts the ideal tandem would have been Morris/Werner just because of how polished Morris is. Hell the most, most ideal tandem would be Martin/Werner because that would mean Martin was progressing. Now we're stuck with no perfect internal options for the Eagles starter next year. We know Sakic likes having good goalie depth but that means picking up a 3rd goalie (known to the league) the Avs could lose on waivers to start the year screwing the plan from the outset.

Honestly going back to the point made at the start and looking back at what's written here...I'd be happy if the Avs went looking in Europe because you can find a quality goalie that isn't waiver eligible. Having a 3rd string goalie with NHL/AHL experience is nice but give me a quality goalie that we don't have to share with the league. Let the goalies take their bumps in the AHL. The AHL vet/prospect tandem hasn't exactly been great for the Avs. The last time we ran a prospect/prospect tandem though (Picks/Aittokallio) we had one make the NHL (even if it was temporarily). Why not try it again?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Why aren't you interested in Miller? He's not my top pick either but I'm curious as to why you feel that way.

He's a paper tiger. Looks good statistically but can't hold up when the going gets tough. Not at all what this team needs, we already have a similar player in Kerfoot (in terms of usage).

If we're trading for someone, I'm interested in trying to pry Trochek out of Florida. I just can't see them competing or wanting to pay him long term if they add Panarin and Bob.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sure just need to find a goalie who has been chewing up the KHL for the last three years and is essentially an already polished product willing to spend time in the AHL. Without the sarcasm there's some targets in the KHL that won't be Francouz but could be something close: Ivan Nalimov, Ilya Konovalov, Ivan Bocharov, Vasily Demchenko. Nalimov is named because he wants to come over, just not with the Blackhawks organization. Who knows on the other three if they ever want to come over.

And I'd like to contend partially with the "Hammond type has the potential to help the future more, as opposed to the present, because the goalie prospect can be played like a #1 the way Frank was this year" portion. Kaapo Kahkonen got the majority of his starts when Hammond was playing bench warmer for the Wild. When Hammond was with the Iowa Wild he was rarely in the mentor back-up role. To finish off the season (last 20 games) Kahkonen got 6 starts compared to Hammond's 14. The Iowa Wild starting goalie in the playoffs? Hammond.

Having that Hammond/Pickard type in the AHL is running the high chance they'll get the majority of the starts. If you want your prospects to get the most starts the ideal tandem would have been Morris/Werner just because of how polished Morris is. Hell the most, most ideal tandem would be Martin/Werner because that would mean Martin was progressing. Now we're stuck with no perfect internal options for the Eagles starter next year. We know Sakic likes having good goalie depth but that means picking up a 3rd goalie (known to the league) the Avs could lose on waivers to start the year screwing the plan from the outset.

Honestly going back to the point made at the start and looking back at what's written here...I'd be happy if the Avs went looking in Europe because you can find a quality goalie that isn't waiver eligible. Having a 3rd string goalie with NHL/AHL experience is nice but give me a quality goalie that we don't have to share with the league. Let the goalies take their bumps in the AHL. The AHL vet/prospect tandem hasn't exactly been great for the Avs. The last time we ran a prospect/prospect tandem though (Picks/Aittokallio) we had one make the NHL (even if it was temporarily). Why not try it again?

Yeah I didn't really follow Kahkonen's season close enough to comment either way, but that also could have been an organizational decision that the Wild made, which the Avs wouldn't. I think the way they handled Frank this year might attest to that, but you never know.

Also, my main point is less about Hammond specifically, than it is the low maintenance vet type I described, that won't command starts based on their name. Someone who's comfortable in a backup mentor role in the AHL basically.

I'd be on board with a prospect/prospect tandem too, as long as they were both promising prospects. With the lack of clarity on the Avs goaltending future, I'm less concerned with the #3G having NHL starter ability next season should injuries occur, as I am with the #3G having potential future starter ability. I want that guy to have an opportunity to play in the AHL and not have starts taken away should he stumble a bit early on.

A prospect/prospect tandem might take away starts, but it also creates a highly competitive environment, that can allow the cream to rise to the top. If they can only find one promising starter, than I'd go with the vet backup strategy I was proposing. But if they can manage to find two, that gives them another option for the future, so I'd be on board with that as well.

Either way, they need to make sure they do everything they can this summer to try to put themselves in a position to have a good starter in the future. Arguably, that's their biggest priority this offseason. Despite all their other needs, none of it matters if they don't have a good NHL starter.

Last edited:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
The way I see it, Colorado needs (1) top-6 forward, a back up goaltender, and (1) depth forward* this offseason.

Yeah, in a perfect world, they’d add two top-6 forwards. But a lot of times when a GM tries to swing for the fences in free agency, he ends up hitting a pop up instead.

In other words, I’d rather Sakic sign one guy he’s really sure about and waiting until next offseason to see what’s available, as opposed to potentially risking adding a James Neal-type (read: bad) contract to the payroll.

*If Colin Wilson is not retained.

* Jost to develop into that 2C next season, Bank it. These playoffs will give him all sorts of confidence.
* Pavel Francouz waves hello and says, I'm justing finishing the P/O's with The Eagles, and I'll be right there :thumbu:

We have Kaut, Bowers, Kamenev all about ready to come it at some time next season. Potentially a 4th overall forward within 18 months.
With the huge contracts this club is about to hand out, we still have to be cap wise.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
In all seriousness, maybe something like Drouin + 15th overall pick for Barrie

Then we have a 4th, 15th & 16th. Maybe use the latter two, to then move up a few places. Maybe try something with Edmonton.

Outcome would be: Drouin, 4th pick, 8th pick type thing.

Then grab one UFA Center via free agency

Drouin - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - UFA - Jost
Bottom 6: Calvert, Compher, Kamenev, Kerfoot, Soderberg, and maybe Wilson if very cheap.

6D are: Zadorov, EJ, Cole, Girard, Nemeth & Makar (with Timmins hopefully getting healthy)

In goal: Francouz and Grubauer

The thing I like about my suggestion, is that it's only ONE solitary player different, they are 24 as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad