Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVII|Crosby+MacK = Tim's Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Hi, anyone have a solid update on timmins? And what plan is going forward?
It's been pretty quiet, He was shut down for the year game wise, but was practicing with the eagles. Ferraro said during a round 1 broadcast he was told Timmins was healthy and they just decided it was best to give him a proper offseason. (paraphrasing)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Really isn't too much to say...he was participating in practices with the club but they opted to shut him down the for the season. Obviously the hope is that he'll recover this summer and be at training camp and go to the AHL for hopefully the full year barring any setbacks, as was supposed to be the plan this past year. I imagine the organization will be quite patient -- they really seemed to like him.
Ya shame he been injured... liked him a lot... was always hopin anaheim would find a way to snag him. Well hopefully he has a good bounce season next year.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
It's been pretty quiet, He was shut down for the year game wise, but was practicing with the eagles. Ferraro said during a round 1 broadcast he was told Timmins was healthy and they just decided it was best to give him a proper offseason. (paraphrasing)

I think it's pretty obvious this is the right call. You have a blue-chip prospect with concussion issues, who hasn't played in an actual game in months, I think you play it safe. Ideally he starts next season with the Eagles, and gets a call up pretty quickly.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
On the Girard contract situation....

I would be going long term as soon as possible with him.

Hes a 25-30 point guy now but I definitely see more offensive upside to his game. Especially if he and Makar work the 2nd PP unit next season I think he could definitely become a regular 35-40 guy with a couple peak seasons in the ~45 neighborhood. Combined with a steadily improving defensive game as well and I think you have the makings of a Jared Spurgeon level Dman in Girard in 3-4 years from now.

I'd give Girard a 7 year 28M deal this summer and see if he signs it.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
On the Girard contract situation....

I would be going long term as soon as possible with him.

Hes a 25-30 point guy now but I definitely see more offensive upside to his game. Especially if he and Makar work the 2nd PP unit next season I think he could definitely become a regular 35-40 guy with a couple peak seasons in the ~45 neighborhood. Combined with a steadily improving defensive game as well and I think you have the makings of a Jared Spurgeon level Dman in Girard in 3-4 years from now.

I'd give Girard a 7 year 28M deal this summer and see if he signs it.
I really doubt his agent would advise giving up 2 UFA years for 4 per. I can see them pushing really hard for a bridge then cashing in later. Girard seems like the quiet confident type that would bet on himself.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Girard falls into the same "safe bet" category as Landy and Mikko (before he broke out last year and this year).

You know what you're going to get form him, and you know that what he's shown early in his career isn't an anomaly, or that he's gonna fall back to earth. Like Landy and Mikko, he's a very good two way player, he's very competitive and driven, and he's going to stay at least at the level he's at now, if not get better.

The only concern I have is durability in the playoffs, when the hitting picks up. He's been injured in the first few games of the playoffs two years in a row now.

Hopefully that's just a coincidence, or that he can bulk up a bit (not sure how much more he physically can without PEDs) and that it won't be a big problem going forward.

I don't think he signs long term for a number in the $4M range though. He played all year on the top pair, and looked pretty good.

I think you gotta start with a $5M number to get a long term deal done early this summer. I'd be on board with a 7 x $5M contract. Perhaps a bit more. The Avs seem to like settling on 7 years, like they did with Landy and Nate.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I really doubt his agent would advise giving up 2 UFA years for 4 per. I can see them pushing really hard for a bridge then cashing in later. Girard seems like the quiet confident type that would bet on himself.

At the end of the day production is what pays money though. And 25 points through two seasons just doesn't pay a lot for an RFA Defender.

I dont think he signs for 4M over 7 years, and I'd probably go up to 4.5M this summer to try and get it done but I wouldn't go higher then that. There's enough concern about whether that offensive game does develop any further that would stop me from offering anything that starts with a 5.

If he doesn't sign thats no big deal. Let him play out his contract year and see if he breaks out or not. The good news is even if he does break out next year and hits 40 points lets say, he still doesn't have much of an argument to earn more then ~5 or maybe 5.5M as an RFA Dman. Just look at what other recent RFA Dmen signed. Matt Dumba only got 6M, Seth Jones only got 5.4M. Brady Skjei got 5.25M. Shea Theodore is at 5.2M.

So I think regardless of the kind of year Girard has next year, at worst you're looking at giving him ~5.5M on a 6-7 year deal after he breaks out next season.

If I'm Sakic I'd be working hard on trying to lock him in on the same contract Chychrun just signed though. 7 years at ~4.5M and if Girard doesn't find anymore offense he's still a quality middle pairing guy on a solid deal. If he can become a 40 point guy we get him for 1M cheaper then he's actually worth.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I wanted Kakko so bad. I’m sure we’ll get someone good in the upcoming draft, but whatever we did to the hockey gods I’d love to know.

Don't stress it man. Cozens is going to be our Sean Couturier.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Girard has some interesting comparables that produce at a similar rate as he does. Both already signed, and will be singing this summer.

I think G's agent will likely be citing Hanifin as a good comparable, and probably Provorov too since he likely gets a big raise. Especially if G puts up more points next year.

If Girard waits, he'll be signing two years after both Hanifin and Chychrun too. If that's the case, I can see McAvoy blowing up the market, and raising everyone's salary.

Girard
155 GP - 50 pts - 0.32 pts/gm

Signed last year

Hanifin
239 GP - 83 pts - 0.35 pts/gm - $4.95M x 6

Chychrun
118 GP - 34 pts - 0.29 pts/gm - $4.6M x 7

Signing this summer

Provorov
246 GP - 97 pts - 0.35 pts/gm

Carlo
230 GP - 32 pts - 0.14 pts/gm

DeAngelo
132 GP - 52 pts - 0.39 pts/gm

Sanheim
131 GP - 45 pts - 0.34 pts/gm

McAvoy
117 GP - 60 pts- 0.51 pts/gm

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Girard has some interesting comparables that produce at a similar rate as he does. Both already signed, and will be singing this summer.

I think G's agent will likely be citing Hanifin as a good comparable, and probably Provorov too since he likely gets a big raise. Especially if G puts up more points next year.

If Girard waits, he'll be signing two years after both Hanifin and Chychrun too. If that's the case, I can see McAvoy blowing up the market, and raising everyone's salary.

Girard
155 GP - 50 pts - 0.32 pts/gm

Signed last year

Hanifin
239 GP - 83 pts - 0.35 pts/gm - $4.95M x 6

Chychrun
118 GP - 34 pts - 0.29 pts/gm - $4.6M x 7

Signing this summer

Provorov
246 GP - 97 pts - 0.35 pts/gm

Carlo
230 GP - 32 pts - 0.14 pts/gm

DeAngelo
132 GP - 52 pts - 0.39 pts/gm

Sanheim
131 GP - 45 pts - 0.34 pts/gm

McAvoy
117 GP - 60 pts- 0.51 pts/gm

Call me size-queen, but Girard has to put up much higher PPG average, If he wants that big contract.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Call me size-queen, but Girard has to put up much higher PPG average, If he wants that big contract.

I can see that mattering for some GM's. I'm not sure how much that matters to the Avs though, if Girard played on the top pair all year. He matched up against the best players in the world every night, and looked good doing so as a 20 year old.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I can see that mattering for some GM's. I'm not sure how much that matters to the Avs though, if Girard played on the top pair all year. He matched up against the best players in the world every night, and looked good doing so as a 20 year old.

Good at handling the puck and moving it. Offer 5M, maybe a little more.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I think defensemen contracts are probably going to hinge a bit more on how he was used on the team.

1st pairing, 2nd pairing, etc

I'd look more for comparables on their team role over the points production (though that is part of it)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think defensemen contracts are probably going to hinge a bit more on how he was used on the team.

1st pairing, 2nd pairing, etc

I'd look more for comparables on their team role over the points production (though that is part of it)

There’s more to it than just role. Just cuz you play top pairing for a team doesn’t mean you deserve top pairing money. Contract value is more than just where you play on your team. *not saying this applies to Girard

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
There’s more to it than just role. Just cuz you play top pairing for a team doesn’t mean you deserve top pairing money. Contract value is more than just where you play on your team. *not saying this applies to Girard
Of course, I'm not saying it is. Its just where I'd start for comparables of young, successful defensemen, over stuff like point production

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
When is Girard eligible for arbitration? I would hesitate to use his size against him unless he was signing a contract that would take him at least two years past UFA. Hell, I'd hate to use it against him in any fashion. He's a gamer. Give him a fair contract based on compatibles but for the love of the Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster keep his height out of it. If I was a neutral arbitrator and heard you bring that argument up, I'd think he's worth more because he did this in-spite of obvious SHORT-comings.

Reactions: Foppa2118

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
When is Girard eligible for arbitration? I would hesitate to use his size against him unless he was signing a contract that would take him at least two years past UFA. Hell, I'd hate to use it against him in any fashion. He's a gamer. Give him a fair contract based on compatibles but for the love of the Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster keep his height out of it. If I was a neutral arbitrator and heard you bring that argument up, I'd think he's worth more because he did this in-spite of obvious SHORT-comings.

I remember our D before Girard and after. It seems like yesterday that the Avs D was a laughingstock. How quickly some forget.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I remember our D before Girard and after. It seems like yesterday that the Avs D was a laughingstock. How quickly some forget.

The D core really changed so much just with his addition. Took so much pressure off everyone else by slotting them down in role accordingly, and helping them play in the O zone instead of the D zone all the time. Pretty rare that a young guy can have that big an impact.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I know Kadris’ name is floated in here quite a bit. After proving detrimental to Toronto’s success in consecutive postseasons that’s an acquisition I’d buy very low on at this point. May be short sighted, but, if the Avs were to hypothetically pursue him I don’t want them spending considerable assets for a ticking suspension time bomb.

Reactions: sethro109

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I know Kadris’ name is floated in here quite a bit. After proving detrimental to Toronto’s success in consecutive postseasons that’s an acquisition I’d buy very low on at this point. May be short sighted, but, if the Avs were to hypothetically pursue him I don’t want them spending considerable assets for a ticking suspension time bomb.

I wouldn't trade for Kadri. The Avs fans would be livid if Kadri's lack of self-control cost us a shot a the SC.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I wouldn't trade for Kadri. The Avs fans would be livid if Kadri's lack of self-control cost us a shot a the SC.

I guess I didn’t explain that very well. To better summarize, I don’t want him, but if they were to target him, they’d better buy low at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad