Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVII|Crosby+MacK = Tim's Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I remember our D before Girard and after. It seems like yesterday that the Avs D was a laughingstock. How quickly some forget.

Ian Cole says hello. As does Patrick Nemeth. Zadorov has grown. EJ is healthy.

I like Girard but let's not assume that he turned it around himself.

And our D played pretty damn good vs Calgary when G was out. I'm not sure what we do when he is healthy. Do we mess with chemistry?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

And our D played pretty damn good vs Calgary when G was out. I'm not sure what we do when he is healthy. Do we mess with chemistry?

We were discussing G in the context of re-signing him. Not in terms of his playing in the next series.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Girard was our best D in Calgary before he got injured.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Liar. Dach has hair.

giphy.gif

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Let's also not forget they most of those players struggled more than he did during the regular season. We've got a few players that seem to be able to step it up in the playoffs. There is no reason to go throwing anyone of them overboard until someone forces the issue. The first 5 games of a wonderkid doesn't force the issue for me. This summer will be a time to reflect, re-exam the season and make a move. Until then, just shut up, sit back and enjoy the run the team is on.

Reactions: flyfysher

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Point is Couturier isn't a good comparable for Cozens at all.

Uhhh.

Both guys are 6'3. Both guys are excellent defensively. Both guys are elite scorers and team leaders. Hell, they even skate the same.

I think the only difference is that Cozens is a righty.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Uhhh.

Both guys are 6'3. Both guys are excellent defensively. Both guys are elite scorers and team leaders. Hell, they even skate the same.

Cozens is a shoot-first guy who's got question marks about his playmaking potential if a team isn't very careful about nurturing that side of his game because his current offensive game is built around speed & that shot. Coots on the otherhand is more playmaker than goalscorer and a more meticulously paced player. Neither is really a good comp for him. Cozens' offensive game is much more Carter than Couturier, while Dach doesn't have the defensive game or tenacity.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I remember our D before Girard and after. It seems like yesterday that the Avs D was a laughingstock. How quickly some forget.

I'm not really certain if your comment involves the timing of the Duchene/Girard trade or the Girard himself turned the DMen alignments?

Girard joined the AVs on 2017/18 after the Duchene trade. Sakic changed half the players from the following season.

2016/17
Zadorov - EJ
Beauch - Barrie
Tyutin/Wiercioch - Goloubef/Barberio (WTF???)

Prospects: Bigras, Gelinas & Siemens

2018/19
Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Nemeth - Cole

Prospects: Makar, Timmins, Meloche, Graves & Zhuravlyov

Maybe the timing of the Girard trade was a turning point, but the AVs defence was already being rebuilt. It's become a team strength and could be even deeper if Sakic drafts another DMen using any of their 5 picks in the top 3 rounds.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Don't stress it man. Cozens is going to be our Sean Couturier.

As many of the other posts had commented, Cozens is more of a RW Shooter instead of Passer. Just don't believe he'll be a 2C the AVs seek. His very skating is good, but not elite. Defensively decent. He could be shifted to RW to play along his strengths.

Comparable to Jeff Carter.

If the AVs are pursuing a 2C. Turcotte might be a better choice. Elite skating, passer and excellent 2-way play. He would be a natural fit behind Mack and the type of speed game the AVs play.

Comparable to ROR

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Cozens is a shoot-first guy who's got question marks about his playmaking potential if a team isn't very careful about nurturing that side of his game because his current offensive game is built around speed & that shot. Coots on the otherhand is more playmaker than goalscorer and a more meticulously paced player. Neither is really a good comp for him. Cozens' offensive game is much more Carter than Couturier, while Dach doesn't have the defensive game or tenacity.
Agreed. I would just add that saying Dach doesn't have Couturier's defense doesn't say anything bad about Dach. My point was that Dach and Couturier both play a more cerebral game and none have Cozens skating. Both players had their compete questioned a bit before draft.
Cozens seems like a Kesler or Carter mixture stylistically.

Reactions: cgf

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Uhhh.

Cozens is more of a goal scorer while Dach is a playmaker.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The only way I see CHI pass over Turcotte is if they go with Byram. They might be happy with Strome as their 2C so Byram might be a better pick for them. If they don't like Strome as their 2C there might be a small chance they prefer Dach as the playmaker to DeBrincat. But if they go Fwd it will be very hard for them to pass over Turcotte. Sucks for us as I said for a while now that I think he is the perfect fit for us behind Mack.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'm not really certain if your comment involves the timing of the Duchene/Girard trade or the Girard himself turned the DMen alignments?

Girard joined the AVs on 2017/18 after the Duchene trade. Sakic changed half the players from the following season.

2016/17
Zadorov - EJ
Beauch - Barrie
Tyutin/Wiercioch - Goloubef/Barberio (WTF???)

Prospects: Bigras, Gelinas & Siemens

2018/19
Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Nemeth - Cole

Prospects: Makar, Timmins, Meloche, Graves & Zhuravlyov

Maybe the timing of the Girard trade was a turning point, but the AVs defence was already being rebuilt. It's become a team strength and could be even deeper if Sakic drafts another DMen using any of their 5 picks in the top 3 rounds.

The D was being rebuilt but the Girard trade really changed it. I wasn't specifically referring to the D alignments but that was a part of it.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm going to ignore the random Girard talk and instead post my tentative plan for the offseason were I the GM.

• Re-sign Mikko to whatever it takes.
  • Re-sign Compher and Zadorov to the best deals you can get - go long-term if necessary. Also re-sign Graves.
  • Find out Barrie's contract demands, if they're too high (#1 defenseman money/term), then;
    • Shop Barrie but only trade him if you can find a team that values him as an elite offensive talent only rather than an elite offensive talent with serious defensive flaws. Potential trade partners are Edmonton (RNH), Toronto (Kadri+/Nylander), Tampa (J.T. Miller+/Tyler Johnson++) - all 2nd line players who can play center who are signed to reasonable long-term deals.
  • See if anyone will give you something for Andrighetto's rights, otherwise let him walk.
  • Go hard at Skinner/Panarin if they're available.
  • Depending on what happens with Barrie/Skinner/Panarin, try to sign between 0 and 2 of: Gustav Nyquist, Kevin Hayes, Joonas Donskoi, Richard Panik, Anders Lee, Carl Hagelin, Micheal Ferland, Ryan Dzingel, or Brock Nelson.
    • Who you sign of the above depends on positional need, contract demands, level of interest in playing here, and fit
  • If you strike out on all the free agents or can't find a good fit in terms of contract/play style, consider possible trades for: Mika Zibanejad, Chris Kreider, Nick Bjugstad, Mikael Granlund, Artturi Lehkonen, Pavel Buchnevich, Yanni Gourde, Alex Killorn, Dmitrij Jaskin, or one of the players mentioned above in reference to a Barrie trade.
  • Explore taking on the contracts of Patrick Marleau, Ryan Callahan, or Andrew MacDonald in order to facilitate deals with Toronto, Tampa or Philly (assuming we can fit their contract under the cap).
  • Shop Alex Kerfoot and see if you can find a team that overvalues him. Potentially use him as a trade chip in any of the trades above. If all else fails, sign him to a bridge deal.
  • Depending on the results of the above actions, potentially re-sign Nemeth and/or Wilson, and/or sign one of: Brett Connolly, Brandon Tanev, Ryan Carpenter, Oscar Lindberg, or Jordan Weal (again depending on fit/contract demands, etc..)
  • Re-sign Francouz and allow Varlamov to walk (try to trade his rights if possible).
  • Let Brassard and Gork walk.
  • Find a new AHL starting goaltender who can potentially be an NHL backup. Make a trade if necessary to fill this position.
  • Draft the players with the best shot of becoming stars in the NHL regardless of position (do not draft based on current need or current NHL readiness). Take home run swings in later rounds
  • Be willing to trade either of our 1st round picks if a team is willing to overpay (based on our need of what they offer).
  • Begin contract extension talks with Bednar, but wait until midway through next season before signing the contract.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
  • If you strike out on all the free agents or can't find a good fit in terms of contract/play style, consider possible trades for: Mika Zibanejad, Chris Kreider, Nick Bjugstad, Mikael Granlund, Artturi Lehkonen, Pavel Buchnevich, Yanni Gourde, Alex Killorn, Dmitrij Jaskin, or one of the players mentioned above in reference to a Barrie trade.
This was my favorite part. If we strike out on free agents, trade for literally anything between the Rangers' entire first line and a player who's on waivers every year.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm going to ignore the random Girard talk and instead post my tentative plan for the offseason were I the GM.

• Re-sign Mikko to whatever it takes.
  • Re-sign Compher and Zadorov to the best deals you can get - go long-term if necessary. Also re-sign Graves.
  • Find out Barrie's contract demands, if they're too high (#1 defenseman money/term), then;
    • Shop Barrie but only trade him if you can find a team that values him as an elite offensive talent only rather than an elite offensive talent with serious defensive flaws. Potential trade partners are Edmonton (RNH), Toronto (Kadri+/Nylander), Tampa (J.T. Miller+/Tyler Johnson++) - all 2nd line players who can play center who are signed to reasonable long-term deals.
  • See if anyone will give you something for Andrighetto's rights, otherwise let him walk.
  • Go hard at Skinner/Panarin if they're available.
  • Depending on what happens with Barrie/Skinner/Panarin, try to sign between 0 and 2 of: Gustav Nyquist, Kevin Hayes, Joonas Donskoi, Richard Panik, Anders Lee, Carl Hagelin, Micheal Ferland, Ryan Dzingel, or Brock Nelson.
    • Who you sign of the above depends on positional need, contract demands, level of interest in playing here, and fit
  • Explore taking on the contracts of Patrick Marleau, Ryan Callahan, or Andrew MacDonald in order to facilitate deals with Toronto, Tampa or Philly (assuming we can fit their contract under the cap).
  • Shop Alex Kerfoot and see if you can find a team that overvalues him. Potentially use him as a trade chip in any of the trades above. If all else fails, sign him to a bridge deal.
  • Depending on the results of the above actions, potentially re-sign Nemeth and/or Wilson, and/or sign one of: Brett Connolly, Brandon Tanev, Ryan Carpenter, Oscar Lindberg, or Jordan Weal (again depending on fit/contract demands, etc..)
  • Re-sign Francouz and allow Varlamov to walk (try to trade his rights if possible).
  • Let Brassard and Gork walk.
  • Find a new AHL starting goaltender who can potentially be an NHL backup. Make a trade if necessary to fill this position.
  • Draft the players with the best shot of becoming stars in the NHL regardless of position (do not draft based on current need or current NHL readiness). Take home run swings in later rounds
  • Be willing to trade either of our 1st round picks if a team is willing to overpay (based on our need of what they offer).
  • Begin contract extension talks with Bednar, but wait until midway through next season before signing the contract.

So what if his demands are too high and teams only view him as an offensive talent with flaws? Seems like a weird stance to take lol

Nobody would pay for Sven's rights, hell we paid a 6th for the rights to Carl, who's a much better player.

Also zero interest in adding a bad contract, would've made sense a few years ago but we're moving out of rebuild mode and into contending mode, no space for guys like Marleau or McDonald.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

I think there's some good parts in here and some less than good. Barrie for Miller+? Not even interested in Miller. Jaskin is waiver fodder.

But that being said, anyone's plan for an offseason could be picked apart. So kudos for posting it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I find it funny when people think Barrie could be traded to Edmonton. Like Edmonton would have the cap space and Barrie would want to re-sign there.

They'll wait for Bouchard.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Unless Barrie wants 8 years and 8+ million I am firmly on the keep Barrie trade. I would rather trade EJ.

I think the Avs do need to sign one of Hayes Panarin or Skinner no matter what.

Reactions: Patagonia

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Unless Barrie wants 8 years and 8+ million I am firmly on the keep Barrie trade. I would rather trade EJ.

I think the Avs do need to sign one of Hayes Panarin or Skinner no matter what.

We need to find a way to sign Barrie for 4 years (until Mack needs to re-up). I don't know if it's possible, but that's the only way to do it.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
We need to find a way to sign Barrie for 4 years (until Mack needs to re-up). I don't know if it's possible, but that's the only way to do it.

Barrie went through so many bad years with the team and deserves to be part of their success. We'll soon understand his contract demands if he wants to be part of the team after July 01st.

I can't see him accepting anything long-term unless it's $7.5+M per.

Nacho - Glory.gif

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
As many of the other posts had commented, Cozens is more of a RW Shooter instead of Passer. Just don't believe he'll be a 2C the AVs seek. His very skating is good, but not elite. Defensively decent. He could be shifted to RW to play along his strengths.

Comparable to Jeff Carter.

If the AVs are pursuing a 2C. Turcotte might be a better choice. Elite skating, passer and excellent 2-way play. He would be a natural fit behind Mack and the type of speed game the AVs play.

Comparable to ROR

Nice comparisons. Cozens does seem to play like Jeff Carter.

Are you saying Turcotte at 4 then?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Nice comparisons. Cozens does seem to play like Jeff Carter.

Are you saying Turcotte at 4 then?

Hawks seem to be leaning on LHD - Byram, even though the last few years of loading up on DMen with 4 of 7 top prospects. Although, 1 & 2 are RHD....so Byram would make a lot of sense to have a solid pairing similar to the AVs if they partner with Makar.

Turcotte makes sense being a solid 2-way player which the AVs need. Hawks could consider being a local kid and future replacement to Toews. AVs have plenty of 3C & 4C players, so this would also be a welcome addition.

I believe Byram or Turcotte would fill a need for the AVs and would be happy with either player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->