Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVI|Kerfoot or Corefoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Barrie with his offensive skills, can't play defense. EJ is regressing, but has a NMC and still the best defender. He also provides steady on ice leadership and would be a greater loss.
Barrie would certainly be the bigger loss. Give it a few years and EJ is an overpaid 2nd/3rd pair guy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Right now either one would be a big loss. The goal should be to build a good top 4, and Barrie here helps that more than any winger for very obvious reasons.

Typically to win a Cup you needa core of two good centers, a top end defensemen, at least an average starting goalie (but higher end one helps), a top line wing or two, and a solid overall top 4 D. One of players has to be a gamebreaker that can open up a series by themselves. When you look at what the Avs have they have the #1C and gamebreaker in MacK. Rants is also a gamebreaker and top line winger. Landy also fits the top line winger. Barrie, EJ, and Girard are not the top end defensemen, but they are adequate depth. What the Avs are missing is that 2nd line center, top end defensemen, and goalie. They are hoping Makar can be that top end defensemen and Grubs can be the goalie. So if you were to rob from Peter to pay Paul, you go after the holes or don't make your situation worse. Trading one of the defensemen should result in a comparable level (maybe different style) defensemen or 2nd line center coming back.

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Cole - Makar

I dont get why anybody would want to ruin that defense for next season. That's a Defense with ridiculous potential, and one of the strongest defensive transition games in the league.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Marner with Jack Hughes would be criminal.

I'd absolutely trade Barrie for Marner. In a heartbeat. Especially when we have Makar ready to take over for Barrie.

Barrie and Avs 1st for Marner
Sign Brett Connolly

Kerfoot- Mack- Rantanen
Landeskog- Hughes- Marner
Compher- Soderberg- Connolly
Nieto- Jost- Calvert

Makar- EJ
Girard- Cole
Zadorov- Graves

That's about as good as it gets.

Marner is a RFA and core of the Leafs won't be available.

AVs draft Hughes/Kakko and use their pick to solidify their backend with a LHD or Knight.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’ll tell you a guy who loves Colorado who I would love to see added for next year. Scottie Upshall.

He had some major surgery but is rehabbing really well and is planning on playing NHL hockey next year. He’s likely more of a PTO guy and basically has a job in Edmonton if he wants it but I’d love to have him playing on our 4th line for 900k. He’s just an incredible guy that would be an immediate favorite in the dressing room.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I’ll tell you a guy who loves Colorado who I would love to see added for next year. Scottie Upshall.

He had some major surgery but is rehabbing really well and is planning on playing NHL hockey next year. He’s likely more of a PTO guy and basically has a job in Edmonton if he wants it but I’d love to have him playing on our 4th line for 900k. He’s just an incredible guy that would be an immediate favorite in the dressing room.
Sick of going after these small frys in free agency. I hope we go big game hunting on July 1st. Panarin or bust. We haven't made a big splash since Smyth/Hannan.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I would assume it's an Edmonton PTO for him.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
RUMOR ROUNDUP: AVALANCHE IN FOR BUSY SUMMER - The Hockey News

By Lyle Richardson
April 3, 2019
Following Tuesday’s 6-2 victory over the Edmonton Oilers, the Colorado Avalanche are on the verge of clinching the final Western Conference wild-card berth. While the Avs are focused on making the playoffs, some observers are looking ahead at their off-season plans.

Re-signing right winger Mikko Rantanen will be GM Joe Sakic‘s priority. Selected 10th overall in the 2015 NHL Draft, the 22-year-old Finn is completing his entry-level contract. Having reached career highs in goals (31) and points (87) this season, he’s in line for a substantial raise.

Rantanen could become a tempting target for an offer sheet, but Sakic isn’t concerned about that possibility. During an appearance last Thursday on Montreal’s TSN 690, Darren Dreger said the Avs GM pointed out he had the salary-cap space to match any offer. CapFriendly indicates the Avalanche have just over $46 million invested in 12 players for 2019-20. With the cap projected to reach $83 million, Sakic has more than enough to counter an offer sheet for Rantanen, re-sign other restricted free agents such as Alex Kerfoot and J.T. Compher, and re-sign or replace unrestricted free agents like goaltender Semyon Varlamov and center Derick Brassard.

Dreger also speculated Sakic could attempt to “add some pieces” this summer, suggesting the blueline could be an area he’d like to improve. He could also try to bolster his club’s secondary scoring, as their production drops sharply beyond the first line of Rantanen, center Nathan MacKinnon, and left winger Gabriel Landeskog.

Speaking of the Avalanche’s blueline, The Denver Post’s Mike Chambers wondered about veteran Tyson Barrie’s long-term future in Colorado. An invaluable contributor to the Avs’ playoff push, the 27-year-old recently set franchise records for the most goals (74), assists (232) and points (306) by a defenseman. He’s signed through 2019-20 with a salary-cap hit of $5.5-million.

Waiting in the wings, however, is promising college prospect Cale Makar. Chambers noted the Avalanche can afford to carry Barrie and Makar next season. Should the youngster play up to expectations, he suggested the Avs could trade Barrie and put the savings toward re-signing RFAs like Rantanen. Sakic probably won’t heed that advice. Makar has yet to make his NHL debut and needs time to adjust. Even if the Avs don’t spend toward the cap next season, they won’t need to shed Barrie’s salary to re-sign Rantanen and their other free agents.

Nevertheless, Barrie‘s future beyond 2019-20 could become a topic of growing conjecture this summer. He’s slated to become an unrestricted free agent next July and could seek a substantial pay raise on a long-term extension. How much, and for how long, could determine whether Sakic attempts to re-sign him or starts entertaining trade offers this summer.

Rumor Roundup: Avalanche in for busy summer, Canucks, Hurricanes face tough decisions - TheHockeyNews

Reactions: Tommy G

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I would assume it's an Edmonton PTO for him.
That’s already there for him if he wants it. If somebody was willing to give him a contract he’d likely jump on it though. I’m extremely confident he would love to play in Denver.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think you can win Cups building around wingers, even if they play like centers. Ovi is a generational winger and it took the Caps having two very good centers to win a Cup (with some luck thrown in). You win with depth down the middle and on defense.

Would we really be building around wingers any more than the Hawks did, as long as we can keep MacK, even if our big addition up front were to be a winger? :dunno:

I'm not for trading Barrie for a winger, even one I rate as much as Marner, just disputing this winger v center question. We need another star forward regardless of the position...preferably while maintaining any blueline depth we are able to assemble.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Would we really be building around wingers any more than the Hawks did, as long as we can keep MacK, even if our big addition up front were to be a winger? :dunno:

I'm not for trading Barrie for a winger, even one I rate as much as Marner, just disputing this winger v center question. We need another star forward regardless of the position...preferably while maintaining any blueline depth we are able to assemble.

The only core wingers Chicago had during their Cup seasons were Hossa and Kane. Kane is your gamebreaker sort too. I don't see how that is any different from a building perspective than Landy/Rants. The other wingers were never core guys like Marner would be.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The only core wingers Chicago had during their Cup seasons were Hossa and Kane. Kane is your gamebreaker sort too. I don't see how that is any different from a building perspective than Landy/Rants. The other wingers were never core guys like Marner would be.

Eh, Sharpie was pretty core. I don't think you get to bang a team-mate's wife & stick around if you're not a core player...at least in world football you dont, maybe the NHL culture is different on that. Just looking at who their 4th best forward was on those cup teams; that's a discussion around Sharp & Saad, not the corpses of Michal Handzus or Brad Richards, ya know?

And that's all I was saying. That the hawks demonstrate that as long as you've got a top-notch 1c & blueline, having a good 2C isn't imperative...though obviously, having a good one does increase your odds.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Eh, Sharpie was pretty core. I don't think you get to bang a team-mates wife & stick around if you're not a core player...at least in world football you dont, maybe the NHL culture is different on that. Just look at who their 4th best forward was on those cup teams. That's a discussion around Sharp & Saad, not the corpses of Michal Handzus or Brad Richards, ya know?

My point was more about the hawks showing that as long as you've got a top notch 1c & blueline, having a good 2C isn't imperative...though obviously, having a good one does increase your odds.

Each year they won, they had to have a passable one at least, and in some years they made moves to shore them up. I think at Chicago's peak they had an elite #1D that could push the pace, but also had a top 3 or 4 shutdown defensemen that allowed them to push Keith to more advantageous opportunities. IMO you can lack or push different pieces if other pieces are elite. In Chicago's case, they had an absurd defense and top 2 wingers, they could lack a bit at center. Though Toews had to be that all around guy. If Toews was purely offensively slanted, I doubt that would have worked.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Each year they won, they had to have a passable one at least, and in some years they made moves to shore them up. I think at Chicago's peak they had an elite #1D that could push the pace, but also had a top 3 or 4 shutdown defensemen that allowed them to push Keith to more advantageous opportunities. IMO you can lack or push different pieces if other pieces are elite. In Chicago's case, they had an absurd defense and top 2 wingers, they could lack a bit at center. Though Toews had to be that all around guy. If Toews was purely offensively slanted, I doubt that would have worked.

That's all I was really really getting at, and I think that with MacK we already have one elite piece in the bag...and with a Marner / Radu / Podkolzin addition, we'd have elite wingers; making just a competent 2C more than sufficient for us to become contenders.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's all I was really really getting at, and I think that with MacK we already have one elite piece in the bag...and with a Marner / Radu / Podkolzin addition, we'd have elite wingers; making just a competent 2C more than sufficient for us to become contenders.

I'd argue the Avs are already overloaded at wing core pieces and more isn't going to help the deficiencies that exist elsewhere. Landy/Rants to me is nearly as good as Hossa/Kane.

When we are also talking about moving Barrie for Marner... you're robbing and killing Peter to pay Paul when Paul is already wealthy. If Rants wasn't here, I think it would be a different situation.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd argue the Avs are already overloaded at wing core pieces and more isn't going to help the deficiencies that exist elsewhere. Landy/Rants to me is nearly as good as Hossa/Kane.

When we are also talking about moving Barrie for Marner... you're robbing and killing Peter to pay Paul when Paul is already wealthy. If Rants wasn't here, I think it would be a different situation.

I'm not. We need to keep adding to our blueline, not take away from it.

But if we can add a star forward without taking away from our blueline...via FA, the draft, trading the OTT pick, or however else we could stumble into 1 more star forward without hurting our blueline...then I think it's more important that the big addition up front be the kind of star that can drive scoring chances, than whether that star is at C or W.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not. We need to keep adding to our blueline, not take away from it.

But if we can add a star forward without taking away from our blueline...via FA, the draft, trading the OTT pick, or however else we could stumble into 1 more star forward without hurting our blueline...then I think it's more important that the big addition up front be the kind of star that can drive scoring chances, than whether that star is at C or W.

I'm certainly not opposed to adding another good winger, just not at the expense of other core positions. I'd prefer the Avs find a way to solve the #2C issue though, if there is a choice, defer to center.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm certainly not opposed to adding another good winger, just not at the expense of other core positions. I'd prefer the Avs find a way to solve the #2C issue though, if there is a choice, defer to center.

That I agree with...which is why I'm still lowkey hoping for a OTT pick++ trade for someone like Larkin, if the pick doesn't land top 2 & Hayes isn't the only FA we have a shot at. But if Panarin will come here, or we can only swing a trade for a young star winger with that pick, not a C, I wouldn't turn my nose up to the upgrade...as that would lower the bar for the caliber of 2c upgrade we'd need.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Hopefully the conversation about trading for a 2c will be moot after April 9th. Then we can keep Barrie add Makar and sign a winger.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Hopefully the conversation about trading for a 2c will be moot after April 9th. Then we can keep Barrie add Makar and sign a winger.

Amen to that. I would obviously love to have Marner, but i think with hopefully Hughes/Kaako on their way, we need Barrie more than Marner. Especially if can hypothetically get high quality scoring forward via free agency (Panarin, Skinner...).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
That I agree with...which is why I'm still lowkey hoping for a OTT pick++ trade for someone like Larkin, if the pick doesn't land top 2 & Hayes isn't the only FA we have a shot at. But if Panarin will come here, or we can only swing a trade for a young star winger with that pick, not a C, I wouldn't turn my nose up to the upgrade...as that would lower the bar for the caliber of 2c upgrade we'd need.

Is Larkin this week’s Trochek, two weeks ago’s Zibby, etc. for you? :D

It’s not happening, dude. Wings value him highly, probably more than his actual trade value. He’s going to be their future captain.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
JT Miller and/or Drouin should be the trade targets. Good players (Stop it. Yes, Drouin is good) who you'll have to give up something good for but it likely won't be a ridiculous amount.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Marner is a RFA and core of the Leafs won't be available.

AVs draft Hughes/Kakko and use their pick to solidify their backend with a LHD or Knight.

Trade the second, move up and select Knight with the Avs' first pick.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
JT Miller and/or Drouin should be the trade targets. Good players (Stop it. Yes, Drouin is good) who you'll have to give up something good for but it likely won't be a ridiculous amount.

Yeah I said it a week ago, but I have a gut feeling the Avs move for JT Miller. Would be a near perfect fit here imo.

Reactions: Foppberg and Avs_19

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Me three. I'd love JTM, Bolts will need to move out cap space this offseason too. If we don't get Ferland I could see us going after him.

Miller-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Hayes-Kakko/Hughes
Jost-Soda-JTC
Calvert-xxx-Wilson

Looks solid to me. I'd be open to bringing back Willy in a bottom 6 role, I know he's really disliked by some but I like him. Big body who seems to surprisingly come up during clutch moments.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad