Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVI|Kerfoot or Corefoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I honestly don't care how much Kerfoot makes on his next contract. I don't want him back even if he makes 1M a year.

Yes he just had a couple of important points and I'm happy about that but I won't get fooled into thinking he's important for the future of that team.

Okay, I'm not certain if I even said he was. In fact I've maintained I don't think he is or ever will be a core player. But I think he's a fantastic role-player for a franchise that has struggled to fill those particular jobs. You're obviously dead-set on him leaving no matter the hell what. I'm more than fine with him staying, but if the Avs decide to move on, I'm okay with him going so far as they manage to replace him with someone as good or better.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I honestly don't care how much Kerfoot makes on his next contract. I don't want him back even if he makes 1M a year.

Yes he just had a couple of important points and I'm happy about that but I won't get fooled into thinking he's important for the future of that team.
So what actual reasons do you back that up with ?

+ Skating? Has wheels.
+ Production? 2X40+ seasons and new to the league.
+ Clutch moments? He's had a few
+ Ice time? Plays all roles (is a utility).

Jeez, give him a few seasons to acclimatise in the league before you mail him off .

His points total (aggregate) over the past 2 years is up there with some players earning massive dollars , and at times, for us, he's been up and down the lines from 1st to 4th.

The ultimate utility player. You don't just give up on that.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I just don't understand why we're in this all-or-nothing sort of thinking when it comes to Alexander Kerfoot. Just because I think he's a valuable, versatile, and severely undervalued forward doesn't mean I think he should get a spot in the top six. I think he's fine in the bottom six and could jump onto one of the top lines in the event of injury, which he's done.

Yes, I like those players. I like Kerfoot too. Is it really insane to think they could get one of those guys AND keep Kerf in the lineup? I just...don't get it.

That's where we differ. To me he's a classic top 6 tweener, we've seen Kerfoot completely disappear when he's playing on the 3rd or 4th line. Recently he's been playing pretty well and is over a PPG IIRC, but he's been playing on the top line in place of Mikko.

He's not a worthless player, but going forward if we're to move into more of a contender role, his spot in the top 6 would be an obvious area to improve, so he would move down the lineup. But I would rather have someone who's game is more suited to that bottom 6 role instead of Kerfoot.

He's a diminutive, less talented version of Tanguay. I don't want that kind of player in the bottom 6, I'd rather have a Compher, or Jost, or a UFA like Connolly, than Kerf.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Kerfoot is frustrating because he’s streaky, and his all around game is not good.

He’s got 42 points in 76 games, which is very respectable. The problem is he scored 18 of them in his first 23 games; another 8 have come in the last 6 games.

I’m glad he’s playing well at the right time, but he’s not an ideal top-6 forward moving forward, in my opinion.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
But Kerfoot doesn’t fill a bottom 6 role. Or at least not here. We need some high energy guys that can forecheck the hell out of the other team. Kerfoot doesn’t fit that role at all and never will be able to fill it. Our team just isn’t set up for kerfoot to play in a bottom 6 role. I don’t think he’s the worst player in the world, but it just makes so much sense to upgrade him in the offseason.

Sure he does. Not every bottom-six player has to be a physical grinder. And JUST LAST NIGHT Kerf made the Oilers scramble because he beat out the defender on a delayed icing call (maybe I'm imagining things but I'm pretty sure he did). Regardless, he doesn't have to knock people around to make a difference on the forecheck. I do absolutely think those guys are valuable though. I also don't understand the whole "This team isn't built for him to play a bottom six role" as if this club isn't going to be making some substantial changes in the offseason.

If the upgrade is there, great! I'm all for it. But I don't think that's going to be as easy as you and others seem to imply.

Reactions: avsfan09

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kerfoot is frustrating because he’s streaky, and his all around game is not good.

He’s got 42 points in 76 games, which is very respectable. The problem is he scored 18 of them in his first 23 games; another 8 have come in the last 6 games.

I’m glad he’s playing well at the right time, but he’s not an ideal top-6 forward moving forward, in my opinion.

Compher is streaky. Jost is streaky. Wilson is SUPER streaky. I don't understand why those guys have defenders to spare and Kerf gets thrown under the bus.

His all-around game is good. He's still one of the best players on the team in terms of getting the puck out of the zone, remains defensively adept, and has a reasonable amount of offensive creativity to fill in on a top line when need be. I still say he got horribly misused to start the season, and is better suited to a complementary role on a scoring line or third line.

I have a feeling he'll comprise a "third" line next season with Soderberg and someone else (Compher?) and they'll have a much-better second line that doesn't get completely overworked. Kinda depends on what happens in terms of filling that 2C role this offseason.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

He's young, and has played 1.85 years in the league, as a college acquired player.

What do people want from him? His surname is Kerfoot, not Ovechkin.

Give him a little time to find his feet.

Reactions: mapletreemarty

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
That's where we differ. To me he's a classic top 6 tweener, we've seen Kerfoot completely disappear when he's playing on the 3rd or 4th line. Recently he's been playing pretty well and is over a PPG IIRC, but he's been playing on the top line in place of Mikko.

He's not a worthless player, but going forward if we're to move into more of a contender role, his spot in the top 6 would be an obvious area to improve, so he would move down the lineup. But I would rather have someone who's game is more suited to that bottom 6 role instead of Kerfoot.

He's a diminutive, less talented version of Tanguay. I don't want that kind of player in the bottom 6, I'd rather have a Compher, or Jost, or a UFA like Connolly, than Kerf.

I agree with Poke's point about Kerfoot's value especially as it relates to his production as Sea Eagles also pointed out. But he gets pushed off the puck too easily and is manhandled in board battles. Of course, I dissed him at the game and then he scored a couple of goals after tying up the Blues in the prior game.

But I think part of the equation in seeking to replace Kerfoot is our expectations. Is Kerfoot well suited as a bottom 6'er? No. Is Kerfoot a top 6'er? No on a SC contender but given JB's first season, we were looking for any help everywhere and Kerfoot was a heck of a lot more serviceable than any of our other options. Kerfoot won't break the bank either. But this season made clear that the Avs need stronger, more consistent secondary scoring. So in that sense, I'm with Fopp on the need to replace Kerfoot. All the more reason to do so as the Avs should really be consistently contending for the SC soon.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sure he does. Not every bottom-six player has to be a physical grinder. And JUST LAST NIGHT Kerf made the Oilers scramble because he beat out the defender on a delayed icing call (maybe I'm imagining things but I'm pretty sure he did). Regardless, he doesn't have to knock people around to make a difference on the forecheck. I do absolutely think those guys are valuable though. I also don't understand the whole "This team isn't built for him to play a bottom six role" as if this club isn't going to be making some substantial changes in the offseason.

If the upgrade is there, great! I'm all for it. But I don't think that's going to be as easy as you and others seem to imply.

I agree I don’t think you have to be a huge guy to be a bottom 6’er, look at Nieto and Calvert. But they forecheck and battle along the boards 1000x better than Kerfoot ever will. We’ve seen Kerfoot on the 3rd/4th lines this season and he’s been basically useless when used there. He could fit in on another’s teams bottom 6 I’m sure, but on ours he doesn’t bring anything except good skating and not being horrible defensively. I just don’t see the positives he’d bring in a bottom 6 role over a more “typical” bottom 6’er.

Reactions: flyfysher

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Compher is streaky. Jost is streaky. Wilson is SUPER streaky. I don't understand why those guys have defenders to spare and Kerf gets thrown under the bus.

His all-around game is good. He's still one of the best players on the team in terms of getting the puck out of the zone, remains defensively adept, and has a reasonable amount of offensive creativity to fill in on a top line when need be. I still say he got horribly misused to start the season, and is better suited to a complementary role on a scoring line or third line.

I have a feeling he'll comprise a "third" line next season with Soderberg and someone else (Compher?) and they'll have a much-better second line that doesn't get completely overworked. Kinda depends on what happens in terms of filling that 2C role this offseason.

It's already been pointed out to you many times. You're just seeing things through tunnel vision.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
It's already been pointed out to you many times. You're just seeing things through tunnel vision.
Too be fair, same could be said of the detractors. There are many other positions on our team that could use tweeking before Kerfy is shipped off.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Or it could be that I didn't really think much of those arguments.
So people make arguments or points to you of why they feel the way they do about Kerfoot, or his position on this team long term, and you don't don't even get it a thought? There's no point in trying to debate it if one side isn't willing to even look out of their own head, you're just wasting peoples time.

Too be fair, same could be said of the detractors. There are many other positions on our team that could use tweeking before Kerfy is shipped off.

True, but he's still not a player that I think should be part of our long term plans. I'd much rather flip him for a pick or prospect and use his money on someone in UFA.

Reactions: avsfan09

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Or it could be that I didn't really think much of those arguments.

I agree I don’t think you have to be a huge guy to be a bottom 6’er, look at Nieto and Calvert. But they forecheck and battle along the boards 1000x better than Kerfoot ever will. We’ve seen Kerfoot on the 3rd/4th lines this season and he’s been basically useless when used there.

That's not fake news. And for as much hate as Calvert gets, it's true.

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
There's so many free agents. Why give up a huge asset like Barrie? Why not have a double offensive combo in Makar and Barrie?

Remember, EJ will be 32 odd.

Speaking of which, happy birthday me :D 5.47am and I cantc sleep here in Australia, because I'm so excited by this team of ours!
Awesome to see fans far abroad. Go Avs!

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree I don’t think you have to be a huge guy to be a bottom 6’er, look at Nieto and Calvert. But they forecheck and battle along the boards 1000x better than Kerfoot ever will. We’ve seen Kerfoot on the 3rd/4th lines this season and he’s been basically useless when used there. He could fit in on another’s teams bottom 6 I’m sure, but on ours he doesn’t bring anything except good skating and not being horrible defensively. I just don’t see the positives he’d bring in a bottom 6 role over a more “typical” bottom 6’er.

He was perfectly fine playing on depth lines last season, Bednar didn't demote him to the 4th line until his confidence was all but eroded, and it just made things worse. He's still a guy who can win faceoffs, provide speed and some offensive creativity. Pair him with the right guys and I think he'll be very solid.

FTR I'm not saying he's played great. This was a bit of an off-season for him. Not everything is on Bednar by any means...recent play aside he knows he needs to be better. But I don't think it's enough to just summarily dismiss him by any stretch. I'm coming away with a ton more red flags on Jost than I am him as their respective sophomore seasons come to a close.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

The difference between Kerfoot and the three guys you mentioned - Compher, Jost, Wilson - is that the aforementioned three play more of a checking game. Not to mention their defensive abilities. So when they aren’t scoring, they’re bringing more to the table than Kerfoot is when he isn’t scoring.

Though I feel Jost and Wilson, for sure, are third liners.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He's young, and has played 1.85 years in the league, as a college acquired player.

More consistency would be nice.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

While Kerfoot is not quite finished with his 2nd year in the league, he's already 24 years old. At this point he is more-or-less a finished product. And others have pointed out his shortcomings already. He's an incredibly streaky player (we saw that last year and this year), he's not quite talented enough to be a bottom-6 player, and if he's a permanent fixture in the top-6 he's immediately the area you'd need to upgrade.

Yeah, he has points, and yeah as Avs fans we are thankful that he's been able to step in and help the team down the stretch on the top-line. But he's not an answer going forward. Given his offensive production, I think he could make a good argument for 4M+ on his next deal, and given the type of player he is, that's too much.

He's a fine player on a non-contending or even bubble team, but once you're discussing contending teams, he doesn't really fit in anywhere.

Reactions: flyfysher

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Forget the points, the Kerfoot we’ve seen the last couple weeks can stay, if he keeps it up through the end of the season. Outside of a blip or two he’s been the good kind of noticeable lately, in all phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad