Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIV|Planning for MacK Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I’m not sure what’s going on. But Landy is a great leader and top 5 LW in the NHL. Even if you’re not having that inarguably top 7. But tell me I’m wrong.

Ovi
Johnny G
Hall
Marchand
Gabe

Not winning when you’re roster is full of scrubs or kids is not on Gabe at all. It’s normal place. We’re still coming out a rebuild lol. It’s your expectation that should be traded. Not Landy. Y’all are trippin ahahah

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For a team hemorrhaging points in OT, my memories of Q's apathy about losing shootouts in 05-06 doesn't inspire me. His awful line up management here also leaves me unenthused. He might get Tyler Arnason out of whatever strip club he's in and Wyatt Smith back from emptying septic tanks in Thief River.

How about they split the difference and hirehis assistant Kevin Dineen?

I wanted Dineen the last time and would be ok with him again this time. He was on the Avs shortlist last time too. Former DU captain, and has some Quebecois roots which always seems to help with this organization.

I'm not worried about Q's last stint with the Avs though. I still think his experience makes him a great hire. I have a feeling he'll be too expensive for the Avs liking though.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I cannot being to understand how little Landeskog is valued. Watch the damn games and concentrate on him and you’ll see how incredible he is. Dude cleans up everthing and allows his linemates to play with little regard to D. It’s absurd to dump on him for effort.

Reactions: cgf and Barklez

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Greer is getting called up according to TMV. It's **** like this that drives me crazy about this team. Their timing doesnt make sense on anything. Why wait till you have long shot odds to make it to go back to a roster that was already winning the last time you stopped playing the youngins.

Good thing we got another two weeks of nemeth and gork so we made sure we knew what we had in those guys. -_-
I think - but this is pure speculation - Sakic's putting his foot down a bit and has decided it's time to focus on the future. First adding Graves without scratching one of the other dmen, now Greer... these aren't Bednar's decisions imo.

Reactions: S3rkie

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Lol where did all this trade Landy talk come from. Guy is a beast and is continuously improving and reshaping his game. I think with his character that he showed after the 48 pt season of wanting to right the ship. He's earned being a career Av until the day he doesn't want to be anymore.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well we're likely missing the playoffs because of that so it shouldn't be swept under the rug. Used to like Bednar otherwise as I'm sure you already knew.

I don't think your point is completely without merit, but as bad as he was to start they were not just going to play him through it while Varly was actually playing well. That just isn't realistic. I do think there were times they didn't let him get hot after good games though.

Grubs has been a backup for a while so the schedule shouldn't get to him IMO.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Landeskog needs to bring the whole team through a Kokoro camp. He could one up Ference's camping trip for the Oilers.

That would be leadership.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
If Landy isnt a good captain and is "stained" from previous leadership then Edmonton better trade McDavid because a blackhawks fan has set the bar for captains.
When 9 out of 19 players aren't very good, with hockey being a team sport, coach Bombay and Picasso cant polish that turd.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Poor drafting is a big issue, but it's not why the Avs aren't in the playoffs. The roster has holes in it, but it's not any worse than the team's they're battling with, and it's not an excuse for being mistake prone.

They were in the playoffs in February, and they let teams that aren't any better than them on paper pass them, like Minny and Arizona. I don't think Dallas' roster is really better either, and I would say the same for Edmonton who's nipping at their heels as well. Drafting is not what separates this Avalanche team from them because their rosters aren't any better.

Yeah, but they’re right there on the bubble.

See, I don’t really believe there’s all that much difference between missing the playoffs by a few points and squeaking in. I know there are some strong feelings regarding this in here, and I’ve purposefully stayed out of that debate, and don’t wish to restart it here. Suffice it to say, the team is pretty mediocre either way, IMO. Making the playoffs this season should not be the single barometer, because it can very easily be a smokescreen.

They made the playoffs in 2010, a lot of good that did them for the three years following.

They made the playoffs in 2014, a lot of good that did them for the three years following.

They made the playoffs last year, a lot of good that did them this year.

Again, I believe Bednar has his faults. But that’s secondary to the elephant in the room: the team does not have enough talented hockey players on it. That’s the big problem, not the coach. And that’s due to the years of s****y drafting.

Last edited:

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Yeah, but they’re right there on the bubble.

See, I don’t really believe there’s all that much difference between missing the playoffs by a few points and squeaking in. I know there are some strong feelings regarding this in here, and I’ve purposefully stayed out if that debate, and don’t wish to restart it here. Suffice it to say, the team is pretty mediocre either way, IMO. Making the playoffs this season should not be the single barometer, because it can very easily be a smokescreen.

They made the playoffs in 2010, a lot of good that did them for the three years following.

They made the playoffs in 2014, a lot of good that did them for the three years following.

They made the playoffs last year, a lot of good that did them this year.

Again, I believe Bednar has his faults. But that’s secondary to the elephant in the room: The team does not have enough talented hockey players on it. That’s the problem, not the coach. And that’s due to the years of s****y drafting.
I agree, this is the year to fill those 2nd rate players with actual talent imo.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Oh my God....we're back to this crap about Landeskog :biglaugh:

Because...what? Because he doesn't fulfill some poorly informed conception of "willing a team to victory" that largely exists in Hollywood and in fan fantasy, not in reality? Because 33 goals and 69 points in 68 games this season somehow isn't good enough? Because he's shown himself to be a fantastic, mature individual and role model? Because he wanted to be here and bought into this team while Duchene requested a trade and wanted out in the midst of a gawdawful season? Because you can visibly see how loved the guy is? Because Landeskog has literally fulfilled everything that could ever have reasonably been expected him, on and off the ice, and in representing this franchise?

Because MacKinnon and his visible pouting somehow scream captain material? Because MacKinnon threw a fit on the bench and lost his temper? Because MacKinnon's sometimes lazy defensive play sets a great example for everyone else? That's why he deserves the captaincy and the responsibility that goes along with it? MacKinnon is an offensive superstar, he's ridiculously competitive, but everything I've seen from the guy indicates he clearly has maturing to do still.

Give me a ****ing break. This board has had some truly *special* takes on it lately. Putting blame on any of MacK / Rants / Landeskog for this season automatically qualifies someone to be in contention for the dumbest take of the year on HFAvs. Yeah, lets focus on the PPG+ superstars for the team's struggles -- the guys everyone else in the league would kill to have -- not the mediocre management, appalling drafting, spotty goaltending, erratic defense, and laughable offensive depth. Good stuff.

Definitely time to take a break from some posters.

Did you eat a Snickers this morning? :biglaugh:

Agreed though. Landeskog is hardly the problem.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
So at the risk, oh, fug that... by making it personal.. exactly what teams no matter the level have you succeeded in that did not have a measure of leadership? In the "Learn to Read" category, I did not stipulate Mac was the problem. I did not in fact stipulate anyone was the problem. I promoted the idea that I hoped Mac would bail on this rudderless team.

Since you made it personal, let's extend that. It was about Mac going TO an opportunity of culture and leadership.

Learn to read.
So you have no actual retort for what he said, just insults? Take the L.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I wouldn't trade Landeskog unless the return was ridiculous but you aren't likely going to get a deal that can help you today . Landeskog helps today and unlike some I have never really questioned his leadership. Im not sure what else he could do in that department. Did I think he was rushed into being a captain? Yes. Do I think hes a fine captain today? Yes. There are a lot of good captains in the NHL who have yet to hoist a cup. Guys like Stamkos whose team is the frontrunner for that cup this season. If Stammer doesn't hoist it should his leadership come into question? Afterall that's a ready made bound for glory team in Tampa right now. I get it losing sucks and having missed out on the playoffs again bites the big one I just wouldn't put that on the captain of this team this season. Its not his fault Joe didn't address the second line. Not his fault his goaltenders couldn't stop a beach ball for three months.

I would trade Johnson tomorrow if I could. Seen enough of EJ this season to know hes not the same EJ and with age and his injuries looking like they have caught up I would try to cash out asap.

Reactions: cgf and Barklez

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Speaking of Z.. I was surprised to see hes only got 4 apples. I usually see Calvert and the boys out when Z is, does he ever get time with the big line?
Hopefully he gets a top 4 gig next year while Makar is adjusting... on how to carry a pair. Doesn't get much heavier than Cole

EJ is regressing quite a bit I don't know if we would like the return much at all tho besides the cap space

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad