Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIV|Planning for MacK Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yes but we’re committed to Gru long term not Varly. That’s where we either should’ve played Grub for an extended period or played Frank.

They're only committed to him for two more years though. I don't think any coach would have gone back to Grubauer earlier in the season. He just played too poorly every time he got a shot. For all of Varly's struggles, he clearly was the better goaltender.

Grubauer's been better lately, but he gets clear cut better defensive performances in front of him as well. His last two shutouts are a prime example. Varlamov has had 8 games this season where he faced as many shots or more as Grubauer's last two shutout games combined.

This isn't to say Varlamov has earned the #1 role either, but Grubauer's nice end to the season doesn't erase his prior struggles.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
QSluAgyS_400x400.jpg

Reactions: S E P H

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I wrote about this before... like who cares what I have to say. But given the original Subject on Mac leaving rumors... I hope he does. It is a damn shame to see him deeply conflicted, given his talent. There is a plethora of analysis around the Avs. Am shocked the Avs organization has not reached down and pulled people like, ok.. I will put me on the block first.. but anyone with ample opinions on this board, to come in and assist their organization. So my $0.00001 is, and have harped on this often.. leadership. Lack thereof. I hope Mac gets a chance to get out and align with an organization that has leadership in its stables.

Like, I just watched Chicago play Vancouver to an OT, only to lose in OT. A few mins later, listened to Toews speak to the loss, where they are, crawling and scratching to get to a remote opportunity of a playoff posture. I hear NONE of this speak from the Avs.. the way Toews presented himself. The Avs have a lot of problems. Will let the experts here continue their analysis on all of the problems. But in my not at all humble opinion... the lack of leadership is at the top. If not THE top. I hoped to hell the Hawks would have won this eve, gained some points, and shortly overtake the Avs and scratch their way (the Hawks) to a playoff position. Not because I am a Hawks fan (too, which I am.. I am a hockey fan first), but when you look at what the Hawks have done in the last few years, and look to Toews, Kane, Crawford, Keith, Saad... I mean... watching them play, they had a bad start but are crawling to get better. I love the way they are playing. Like this eve. I do not love the way the Avs are playing. And I put my finger on among other things... the lack of leadership. Listening to Toews in his post game interview, coupled with his history... I would follow the bloke up a goddamned hill any time. Listening to the speak of the so called leaders from the Avs after there continued losses... I would hardly follow them to Starbucks for a cup.

Leadership. Vacuous in the Avs. So not lacking in for instance, the Hawks. Which is why.... I hope Mac has a chance to bail and get with an organization that has a culture of leadership, so he can not only advance his beautiful skills, but also inculcate himself with the infection that is called... leadership. Personally, I hope he get to the Pens while Sid is active.. so Mac can be infected with leadership and the ideal of winning can, well, infect him.

And to be ultra clear on this, this Avs do not have inbred leadership. They do not have a culture of leadership brought to them by prior players and management (Sac included). I anyone thinks that the Avs will grow leadership out of the current weeds, I have a few bridges for sale around Brooklyn if you are interested. The Avs do NOT have leadership in their current bloodline. It is a huge problem. IMNSHO, it is at the top of the problems they have. Why do you think Roy left? Another story.

Leadership. Hows'a'bout the saged experts here address that? it is IMNSHO A penultimate problem with the Avs. Or stick to the X's and O's if that floats boats.

Flames on... I deserve it. But am sticking to my opinion.

PS, and if I was not clear enough.. I would follow Toews up a damn mountain if he pointed and said "let's go". Who would you follow up a whatever on the Avs if they pointed and said "let's go"? Mac needs to be infected by the culture of leadership to realize what he could really be. Which is why I hope the subject line comes true. I have heard much reflection by the Pens opinion makers who have expressed how much Sid the Kid has presented top shelf leadership, as they crawl their way up from a bad start.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Are there Mack leaving rumours? I can't find any but wouldn't be surprised if he walks when his contract is done.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Are there Mack leaving rumours? I can't find any but wouldn't be surprised if he walks when his contract is done.

Was just responding to the subject line. And to beat the horse-y into the ground, I hope he does. To let this talent hook up with a culture of leadership and winning. Not this current atmosphere of post game rationalizations and excuses. Mac deserves better. So do several other players.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I wrote about this before... like who cares what I have to say. But given the original Subject on Mac leaving rumors... I hope he does. It is a damn shame to see him deeply conflicted, given his talent. There is a plethora of analysis around the Avs. Am shocked the Avs organization has not reached down and pulled people like, ok.. I will put me on the block first.. but anyone with ample opinions on this board, to come in and assist their organization. So my $0.00001 is, and have harped on this often.. leadership. Lack thereof. I hope Mac gets a chance to get out and align with an organization that has leadership in its stables.

Like, I just watched Chicago play Vancouver to an OT, only to lose in OT. A few mins later, listened to Toews speak to the loss, where they are, crawling and scratching to get to a remote opportunity of a playoff posture. I hear NONE of this speak from the Avs.. the way Toews presented himself. The Avs have a lot of problems. Will let the experts here continue their analysis on all of the problems. But in my not at all humble opinion... the lack of leadership is at the top. If not THE top. I hoped to hell the Hawks would have won this eve, gained some points, and shortly overtake the Avs and scratch their way (the Hawks) to a playoff position. Not because I am a Hawks fan (too, which I am.. I am a hockey fan first), but when you look at what the Hawks have done in the last few years, and look to Toews, Kane, Crawford, Keith, Saad... I mean... watching them play, they had a bad start but are crawling to get better. I love the way they are playing. Like this eve. I do not love the way the Avs are playing. And I put my finger on among other things... the lack of leadership. Listening to Toews in his post game interview, coupled with his history... I would follow the bloke up a goddamned hill any time. Listening to the speak of the so called leaders from the Avs after there continued losses... I would hardly follow them to Starbucks for a cup.

Leadership. Vacuous in the Avs. So not lacking in for instance, the Hawks. Which is why.... I hope Mac has a chance to bail and get with an organization that has a culture of leadership, so he can not only advance his beautiful skills, but also inculcate himself with the infection that is called... leadership. Personally, I hope he get to the Pens while Sid is active.. so Mac can be infected with leadership and the ideal of winning can, well, infect him.

And to be ultra clear on this, this Avs do not have inbred leadership. They do not have a culture of leadership brought to them by prior players and management (Sac included). I anyone thinks that the Avs will grow leadership out of the current weeds, I have a few bridges for sale around Brooklyn if you are interested. The Avs do NOT have leadership in their current bloodline. It is a huge problem. IMNSHO, it is at the top of the problems they have. Why do you think Roy left? Another story.

Leadership. Hows'a'bout the saged experts here address that? it is IMNSHO A penultimate problem with the Avs. Or stick to the X's and O's if that floats boats.

Flames on... I deserve it. But am sticking to my opinion.

PS, and if I was not clear enough.. I would follow Toews up a damn mountain if he pointed and said "let's go". Who would you follow up a whatever on the Avs if they pointed and said "let's go"? Mac needs to be infected by the culture of leadership to realize what he could really be. Which is why I hope the subject line comes true. I have heard much reflection by the Pens opinion makers who have expressed how much Sid the Kid has presented top shelf leadership, as they crawl their way up from a bad start.
I agree with you, leadership is a problem around here but it's not MacKinnon that is the problem.

Two guys IMO need to go, if this franchise wants to get better. Those two are Landeskog and Johnson. The two supposed leaders, have done nothing resembling leadership in their time here.

MacKinnon holds back, you can tell he wants to be more vocal but he doesn't and let's the leaders do it their way.

Make this MacKinnon's team like it already is statistically speaking. But give him the reins, let him be what Crosby is to the Pens because right now, he rides second fiddle even though it is very clearly his team. Let him run this show, and I bet we see a very different MacKinnon. A much improved one. Just look what happened when it became MacKinnon's team, offensively speaking when Duchene was shown the door. MacK exploded when he was given the keys to the offense. I'd expect a similar result of he was given the C. The guy is what teams dream of building their team around. An ultra competitive guy who hates to lose and skills to back it up.

Get rid of the leadership duds in Landeskog and Johnson, they just don't have it. You don't win with guys like that as your leaders. It's been proven year after year here. It's not going to change. They aren't winners. They don't rally the troops when things aren't going well. They don't put the team on their back and will them to wins. It's been 7+ years of struggling, things aren't going to suddenly change with these guys.

It's time to start fresh.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Oh my God....we're back to this crap about Landeskog :biglaugh:

Because...what? Because he doesn't fulfill some poorly informed conception of "willing a team to victory" that largely exists in Hollywood and in fan fantasy, not in reality? Because 33 goals and 69 points in 68 games this season somehow isn't good enough? Because he's shown himself to be a fantastic, mature individual and role model? Because he wanted to be here and bought into this team while Duchene requested a trade and wanted out in the midst of a gawdawful season? Because you can visibly see how loved the guy is? Because Landeskog has literally fulfilled everything that could ever have reasonably been expected him, on and off the ice, and in representing this franchise?

Because MacKinnon and his visible pouting somehow scream captain material? Because MacKinnon threw a fit on the bench and lost his temper? Because MacKinnon's sometimes lazy defensive play sets a great example for everyone else? That's why he deserves the captaincy and the responsibility that goes along with it? MacKinnon is an offensive superstar, he's ridiculously competitive, but everything I've seen from the guy indicates he clearly has maturing to do still.

Give me a ****ing break. This board has had some truly *special* takes on it lately. Putting blame on any of MacK / Rants / Landeskog for this season automatically qualifies someone to be in contention for the dumbest take of the year on HFAvs. Yeah, lets focus on the PPG+ superstars for the team's struggles -- the guys everyone else in the league would kill to have -- not the mediocre management, appalling drafting, spotty goaltending, erratic defense, and laughable offensive depth. Good stuff.

Definitely time to take a break from some posters.

Last edited:

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I agree with you, leadership is a problem around here but it's not MacKinnon that is the problem.

Two guys IMO need to go, if this franchise wants to get better. Those two are Landeskog and Johnson. The two supposed leaders, have done nothing resembling leadership in their time here.

MacKinnon holds back, you can tell he wants to be more vocal but he doesn't and let's the leaders do it their way.

Make this MacKinnon's team like it already is statistically speaking. But give him the reins, let him be what Crosby is to the Pens because right now, he rides second fiddle even though it is very clearly his team. Let him run this show, and I bet we see a very different MacKinnon. A much improved one. Just look what happened when it became MacKinnon's team, offensively speaking when Duchene was shown the door. MacK exploded when he was given the keys to the offense. I'd expect a similar result of he was given the C. The guy is what teams dream of building their team around. An ultra competitive guy who hates to lose and skills to back it up.

Get rid of the leadership duds in Landeskog and Johnson, they just don't have it. You don't win with guys like that as your leaders. It's been proven year after year here. It's not going to change. They aren't winners. They don't rally the troops when things aren't going well. They don't put the team on their back and will them to wins. It's been 7+ years of struggling, things aren't going to suddenly change with these guys.

It's time to start fresh.

Sir, agree with you. To point out, I didn't recommend that it was Mac's fault. Far from it. He has not been able to cultivate whatever leadership potential he has, being under the other current leader roles. That was my point. I hope he bails and is able to get infected by this thing called leadership. I think it is much harder to be a leader without having been within a leadership culture. Not impossible, but harder.

Case in point... Duchene. Cringed when he was traded from the Avs. First thought was he will become a victim of being unsettled and want 'out', and 'out', and 'out'. Running the risk of never settling into an organization that has established leadership. Um.. check out his journey(s). $$$ v. teamteam. I didn't give him a prayer when he bailed on the Avs. Still don't.

If Mac bails for $$, oh well. But of there is a direction towards teams that have that culture.. now you have something. I hope he does. I have been bummed for him. I hope he escapes to big bucks and big culture, combined. There is no question he is unhappy which is a good and not good thing. Read: Duchene (he will never win a cup).

Ok, will drop it. 'cept to say this is beyond predictable. The directions of teams and players and attitudes.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014

Because...what? Because he doesn't fulfill some poorly informed conception of "willing a team to victory" that largely exists in Hollywood and in fan fantasy, not in reality? Because 33 goals and 69 points in 68 games this season somehow isn't good enough? Because he's shown himself to be a fantastic, mature individual and role model? Because he wanted to be here and bought into this team while Duchene requested a trade and wanted out in the midst of a gawdawful season? Because you can visibly see how loved the guy is? Because Landeskog has literally fulfilled everything that could ever have reasonably been expected him, on and off the ice, and in representing this franchise?

Because MacKinnon and his visible pouting somehow scream captain material? Because MacKinnon threw a fit on the bench and lost his temper? Because MacKinnon's sometimes lazy defensive play sets a great example for everyone else? That's why he deserves the captaincy and the responsibility that goes along with it? MacKinnon is an offensive superstar, he's ridiculously competitive, but everything I've seen from the guy indicates he clearly has maturing to do still.

Give me a ****ing break. This board has had some truly *special* takes on it lately. Putting blame on any of MacK / Rants / Landeskog for this season automatically qualifies someone to be in contention for the dumbest take of the year on HFAvs. Yeah, lets focus on the PPG+ superstars for the team's struggles -- the guys everyone else in the league would kill to have -- not the mediocre management, appalling drafting, spotty goaltending, erratic defense, and laughable offensive depth. Good stuff.

So at the risk, oh, fug that... by making it personal.. exactly what teams no matter the level have you succeeded in that did not have a measure of leadership? In the "Learn to Read" category, I did not stipulate Mac was the problem. I did not in fact stipulate anyone was the problem. I promoted the idea that I hoped Mac would bail on this rudderless team.

Since you made it personal, let's extend that. It was about Mac going TO an opportunity of culture and leadership.

Learn to read.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Give me a ****ing break. This board has had some truly *special* takes on it lately.
Agree to disagree. The only stat that matters for a captain is wins and losses. It's your team, either get the ship righted or don't.

I'm so glad Landeskog is a good role model. But what good is that when all his teams do is fail? When is the last time he didn't just give the company line after a bad loss? When is the last time he called the team it for having a losing mentality? Hell I heard freaking Patrick Kane, not exactly the super leader of the Blackhawks, call out them out for having a loser mentality. Guess what happened, team responded to play much better after that.

I'm glad Landy is having a career year statistically, that's great, but I'd trade half of his points to have a winning team. I wouldn't even get on his case if he put up 50 pts but he had our guys playing at high end playoff level. I'd respect him a lot more if he was a constant 50pts guy who had us making consistent deep playoff runs, instead of 60+ pts guy who leads us to constant bottom 10 finishes.

I'm not saying he hasn't done good things, I'm just saying the only thing that matters is winning. He is the captain, that is the only statistic that should matter for him.

Does the team play well and get consistent quality results with him as the captain? Unfortunately the answer is no. It's not all on him, the shit we see constantly is not all his fault not even close, and I've never said it was. But does he get to shoulder a lot of blame, you bet, he is the captain. Is it fair, no. But it comes with the territory of being the captain. You get praised when things go well, and get trashed when it doesn't.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014

Couldn't resist... to quote.. "
Because...what? Because he doesn't fulfill some poorly informed conception of "willing a team to victory" that largely exists in Hollywood and in fan fantasy, not in reality? Because 33 goals and 69 points in 68 games this season somehow isn't good enough? Because he's shown himself to be a fantastic, mature individual and role model? Because he wanted to be here and bought into this team while Duchene requested a trade and wanted out in the midst of a gawdawful season? Because you can visibly see how loved the guy is? Because Landeskog has literally fulfilled everything that could ever have reasonably been expected him, on and off the ice, and in representing this franchise?"

To help this along, I never suggested Mac was a problem. I wished he would go to a team that had leadership qualities, and winner culture. Something that is presently vacuous in the Avs. How that was misconstrued, well.. can't help that. Was quite clear on my hope for Mac.

On the rest of the quote.. how is the Hollywood/fantasy/33 goals/Duchene reference/... how is all that working for this organization? Last I looked, not very.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
"Landy isn't a leader."

tumblr_mqf1s70fYT1qe46u5o2_250.gif
tumblr_mqf1s70fYT1qe46u5o4_250.gif
3d87eaa17566a9adfb4c16a8ec1e67af.gif

PKG4OAY.gif

Ok, let's do it. How's about start with the Avs record for the last, say... since the 'C' has been applied? Let's start there.

Let's give an opening. Under who's tutelage did Landeskog apprentice under?

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Agree to disagree. The only stat that matters for a captain is wins and losses. It's your team, either get the ship righted or don't.

I'm so glad Landeskog is a good role model. But what good is that when all his teams do is fail? When is the last time he didn't just give the company line after a bad loss? When is the last time he called the team it for having a losing mentality? Hell I heard freaking Patrick Kane, not exactly the super leader of the Blackhawks, call out them out for having a loser mentality. Guess what happened, team responded to play much better after that.

I'm glad Landy is having a career year statistically, that's great, but I'd trade half of his points to have a winning team. I wouldn't even get on his case if he put up 50 pts but he had our guys playing at high end playoff level. I'd respect him a lot more if he was a constant 50pts guy who had us making consistent deep playoff runs, instead of 60+ pts guy who leads us to constant bottom 10 finishes.

I'm not saying he hasn't done good things, I'm just saying the only thing that matters is winning. He is the captain, that is the only statistic that should matter for him.

Does the team play well and get consistent quality results with him as the captain? Unfortunately the answer is no. It's not all on him, the **** we see constantly is not all his fault not even close, and I've never said it was. But does he get to shoulder a lot of blame, you bet, he is the captain. Is it fair, no. But it comes with the territory of being the captain. You get payed when things go well, and get trashed when it doesn't.

9 of Landeskog's goals have won us games, that's 9 out of 31 game winners.

When was the last time it wasn't Landy answering for the bad losses?
When was the last time you watched the postgame interviews?

Do you feel we've been better without him?
It's pretty much entirely not on him.

Last edited:

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
I agree. Our leaders are bad. It kinda reminds me of those bad past leaders like Iginla or Bourque to name a couple who both won nothing as the go to guys. Our team needs more intangibles and Landy/Johnson just don't have enough of them.

Reactions: Barklez

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014

Does the team play well and get consistent quality results with him as the captain? Unfortunately the answer is no. It's not all on him, the **** we see constantly is not all his fault not even close, and I've never said it was. But does he get to shoulder a lot of blame, you bet, he is the captain. Is it fair, no. But it comes with the territory of being the captain. You get praised when things go well, and get trashed when it doesn't.

My point. Tho have not stipulated a 'who'. It just is the culture. Look at the record.

If I were to drill down, yes, Landy is ultra cool. Ultra nice. Ultra all that. But as I quoted a winner of yore.. "good fellas are a dime a dozen, but aggressive leaders are priceless." History is replete with people who personify that.

Avs record lately? Avs record when tanking? Avs record when... aw, nevermind. Peoples loves a winner. Good fellas are a dime a... nevermind. This can get insufferable.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I agree. Our leaders are bad. It kinda reminds me of those bad past leaders like Iginla or Bourque to name a couple who both won nothing as the go to guys. Our team needs more intangibles and Landy/Johnson just don't have enough of them.

Jeff Carter would have been a good idea

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
9 of Landeskog's goals have won us games, that's 9 out of 31.

When was the last time it wasn't Landy answering for the bad losses?
When was the last time you watched the postgame interviews?

Do you feel we've been better without him?
It's pretty much entirely not on him.

Yes, he is a grand fella. I like him. Muchly.

How's the season going? Any frustrations when December rolled around and...? Personally,. I am nmot fond of "leaders" who react to constant situations, like losing, versus proactive leaders who... lead. Thought it was awesome when Landy put the dukes up in Dec and Jan, out of frustration. Leadership? Um, mebbe. But that is partly like yelling to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic. It didn't have much of an effect then, and now. But it was a great, salty move. I applaud. Results tho?

Oh cripes, I'll say it. Landy anointed 'C' way too young. Never apprenticed under a culture of winners and leaders. Yes, am tired of typing that. Not his fault. Too soon for him. He's a superb player, great effort, ultra nice guy. A leader? No his fault for too young and no tutelage under a historic culture of leadership at that level. In case that was not clear, let me repeat... AT THAT LEVEL.

More flames on.

Hey, I want the Avs to win. But hafta be realistic. X's and O's does not include leadership. In my experience, yes, experience, leadership is large. Must be rolled into any discussion about successful anythings...

Last edited:

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah, every time I watch Landeskog I'm left wishing we'd just trade him for an aggressive leader already.

I don't want that. Wish that. But your words resonate.

He's a super nice bloke. He and Lauren look super cute together. Awesome representative for the Avs. I could go on with superlatives. But...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not sure Landeskog could possibly have done more to lead the team this year. On the ice or off. His looks are about a mile down on the list of things he brings to the team.

Reactions: cgf and Foppberg

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
For a team hemorrhaging points in OT, my memories of Q's apathy about losing shootouts in 05-06 doesn't inspire me. His awful line up management here also leaves me unenthused. He might get Tyler Arnason out of whatever strip club he's in and Wyatt Smith back from emptying septic tanks in Thief River.

How about they split the difference and hirehis assistant Kevin Dineen?

Reactions: Grigo

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You really are stuck on that aren't you.

Well we're likely missing the playoffs because of that so it shouldn't be swept under the rug. Used to like Bednar otherwise as I'm sure you already knew.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Yeah, trade Landy to Montreal for Drouin + .... Then put Johnson on the Block. Moving him wont be easy and the return wouldn´t be that great. But hey...

Then give Mack the C, Rants and Barrie an A..... Welcome to NHL 2020, available now on XBox, Playstation, Wii....

Maybe we can try to get back O´Reilly? At least he is/was a buddy of Mack too....

Before we blame Landy, Johnson we should switch to our GM who is responsible for this current squad. To not adressing our 2nd line, giving Cole 4,5 Mill for 3 years (the next washed up guy who´s screaming for a buyout), the signings of Barberio (where the hell is this guy all season?), Nemeth....

Then our coach for playing guys like Bork, Dries or Nemeth over rookies like Greer, Agoz or Graves....

This Offseason Sakic has to deliver a "homerun". Get ride of the plugs, adress our needs and bring in the Youngsters. Even be agressiv on the tradefront.

If we really decide to trade Landy and/or Johnson because some guys her think they are our main problem, so be it. But then we should pray that Mack is ready for captaincy, which i doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad